Xbow

I am shaking...but!

Yeah I know they want to make this a realistic survival game and they they have installed many features to to make it so. However one would hope that eventually a man dressed in a Fireman's Jacket, Cargo Pants, Balaclava, Radar Cap, Work Gloves, and Military Boots that is Healthy-Hydrated-Energized would have some degree of superiority with respect to resistance to cold weather  over a starving butt naked Noob fresh from the coast. I guess when it is time to scale these features they will do so.

However I have been getting quite efficient at building fires to warn up and that seems to work quite well. I now carry a fire kit and usually have raw meat that needs to be cooked so I just combine a cookout with a warming period usually in a remote shack or house. But that doesn't alter the fact that clothes a player has on should matter and should a T shirt wearing Noob or Re-spawn really be cold, shaking and heading towards hypothermia at high noon on a bright sunny day?     

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 4

I haven't had to use a fire yet. Only ever gotten to cold status.

Just keep running and though shall stay warm through rain or shine. I would like fatigue, weight, and resting mechanics though. So it isn't so easy for me.

• Like 1

Im slowly warming up.

Im rapidly cooling off.

Im slowly warming up.

Im rapidly cooling off.

Im slowly warming up.

Im rapidly cooling off.

Im slowly warming up.

Im rapidly cooling off.

• Like 13

I'm liking the new temperature mechanics, and although it is still in alpha phase, I believe it's working ok. Tonight a group of us were at NWAF, after a brief confused firefight which may or may not have involved some friendly fire incidents, the five or us sat around a fire to warm up and to take stock of our hunger and thirst.

It certainly makes for a more cohesive experience when you sit around a fire crafting splints, sorting ammo and trying to decide if blood bag roulette is worth it. 

• Like 1

I haven't had to use a fire yet. Only ever gotten to cold status.

Just keep running and though shall stay warm through rain or shine. I would like fatigue, weight, and resting mechanics though. So it isn't so easy for me.

I started to get cold near Vybor on a bright sunny day and Ran to Sinistock (3.9km distant). I was dressed in good warm gear and Energized Hydrated and Healthy) be that as it may I was mildly hypothermic by the time I got to Sinistock. I gathered the makings for a fire and went to a second story of a big house got a fire going and cooked and ate steaks until I was stuffed and warmed up....If I hadn't done that my character would have died... so running doesn't always work.

apparently your condition can get glitched in and the actual weather/temp doesn't always match what you see.

The Dev Team is on the right track :thumbsup:,  but I do declare that the system still needs some massaging. 

Edited by Xbow

I started to get cold near Vybor on a bright sunny day and Ran to Sinistock (3.9km distant). I was dressed in good warm gear and Energized Hydrated and Healthy) be that as it may I was mildly hypothermic by the time I got to Sinistock. I gathered the makings for a fire and went to a second story of a big house got a fire going and cooked and ate steaks until I was stuffed and warmed up....If I hadn't done that my character would have died... so running doesn't always work.

apparently your condition can get glitched in and the actual weather/temp doesn't always match what you see.

The Dev Team is on the right track :thumbsup:, but I do declare that the system still needs some massaging.

I think altitude makes a difference, so generally speaking the further northwest you are the warmer you need to dress. Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 1

A few of the items heat values need to be tweaked and a few of them aren't even configured yet from what I understand. Also AP_Norris is right, the further northwest you go the higher the altitude. I don't have much trouble with a raincoat, cargo pants, balaclava, and ushanka.

• Like 1

I've never once seen hypothermia and have never needed to build a fire for warmth.

*snip*

But that doesn't alter the fact that clothes a player has on should matter and should a T shirt wearing Noob or Re-spawn really be cold, shaking and heading towards hypothermia at high noon on a bright sunny day?     

Yes, the new spawn should be freezing his nuts off.

A "bright sunny day" can be brutally cold.

Clothed in full modern winter gear, I have done some mountain climbing on the brightest sunniest of days and could still feel the cold seeping through the very fabric of the clothes.

There are plenty of places in this world where you can freeze to death in direct bright sunlight.....

• Like 1

But that doesn't alter the fact that clothes a player has on should matter and should a T shirt wearing Noob or Re-spawn really be cold, shaking and heading towards hypothermia at high noon on a bright sunny day?     

A "bright sunny day" can be brutally cold.

Some of the coldest days here (-40C) can be bright, blue skied, and sunny.

Edited by Hells High

Jesus what a surprise :lol:  And I thought my pristine Fireman's jacket, balaclava, Radar cap, gloves, military boots, cargo pants was as good as anyone's. [Edit] Guys, with me running and dry pristine gear on I'm not sure that I should be shaking.

By the by an elevation increase of 1000 meters  drops the temperature 6.4˚C and another interesting Factoid is that the highest elevation on the Chernarus map is about 600m above sea level and that is in the North West corner of the map. So from lowest elevation to the highest there is a temperature range of about 4˚C. I hope no other mountaineers  are actually trying to tell me that an increase of 600m of elevation alone is going to jam me into hypothermia when I am:

1) wearing my full cold weather gear while ice climbing or doing some general mountaineering.

2) And then there is the fact that The direct path from Vibor to Sinistock has pretty much a constant 250 - 300 meters of  elevation

3) Actually it has been my experience that when burning an ass load of calories while trudging up an infinitely long scree or ice slope with a heavy pack in clear but COLD ASS weather at High Altitude I end up removing  a couple of layers of upper body clothing, often down to my  long sleeve 100% Merino wool ICEBREAKER base layer top.  Of course the instant you stop you better layer up as you cool down by degrees or you might freeze your dick off. But the most miserable weather is Cold WET at High Altitude or Low.  And then again Wind Chill is a far faster way to get hypothermia than a minor elevation change in any cold weather situation especially a COLD WET one. 

What I am talking about is a possible glitch or something not properly scaled as of yet. 

We all know about cold clear days!! But at the same altitude a cold clear sunny bright day isn't jack shit compared to one that is  Cold, Windy, Overcast and Raining. Some of the most miserable cold wet days can be found in Red River Gorge KY. And the Pacific North West where I often play has plenty of shitty Cold, Windy, Overcast and Raining days.

10.jpg

RRG Ky. 

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

I'm in a similar boat, infact I came here to try and find an answer.

I played for a few days after 0.49 went Stable, and all was fine.
I got cold by getting wet, and hot from standing too close to fire.
All seemed to be working fine and in perfect order, taking a bit of sense to survive.

But now, I signed in today and suddenly I was cold and rapidly getting colder.
I was confused as my clothes or other factors hadn't changed at all,
I made a fire and stood by it. I'd warm up, but the second I walked away I was cold.
I switched clothes and kept returning to the fire, but nothing was changing.

The server I was on had a restart and I thought thank fuck I'm saved.
But I reconnected and the same thing, I figured a bug so just kept playing.
I eventually died and respawned thinking that the nightmare was at least over, but no.
I switch across servers and modes and I've tried everything I simply can't stay move or even alive without a fire.

Can anyone help me out, I can't even play the game, since this bug/change.

I stood to near to the fire. Never did see the "your face is melting off" message. It went straight to "You are on fire! You are on Fire! You are on fire! I passed out soon thereafter.

Jesus what a surprise :lol:  And I thought my pristine Fireman's jacket, balaclava, Radar cap, gloves, military boots, cargo pants was as good as anyone's. Thanks but that is some seriously useless and irrelevant information some of you have generated. 

And by the by an elevation increase of 1000 meters  drops the temperature 6.4˚C and another interesting Factoid is that the highest elevation on the Chernarus map is about 600m above sea level and that is in the North West corner of the map. So from lowest elevation to the highest there is a temperature range of about 4˚C. I hope no other mountaineers  are actually trying to tell me that an increase of 600m of elevation alone is going to jam me into hypothermia when I am:

1) wearing my full cold weather gear while ice climbing or doing some general mountaineering.

2) And then there is the fact that The direct path from Vibor to Sinistock has pretty much a constant 250 - 300 meters of  elevation

3) Actually it has been my experience that when burning an ass load of calories while trudging up an infinitely long scree or ice slope with a heavy pack in clear but COLD ASS weather at High Altitude I end up removing  a couple of layers of upper body clothing, often down to my  long sleeve 100% Merino wool ICEBREAKER base layer top.  Of course the instant you stop you better layer up as you cool down by degrees or you might freeze your dick off. But the most miserable weather is Cold WET at High Altitude or Low.  And then again Wind Chill is a far faster way to get hypothermia than a minor elevation change in any cold weather situation especially a COLD WET one. 

What I am talking about is a possible glitch or something not properly scaled as of yet. 

The system is broken and disregards reality.  For example, in real life (OH NO!  NOT REAL LIFE!!!  Bane of programmers) I climbed Katahdin in Baxter State Park in Maine on a regular basis over 10 years.  My typical experience:  Start out as a hot summer day, hike up and start peeling layers off from heat, halfway up start bundling back up from cold, reach the summit after peeling layers off again from heat... it varied.

Katahdin, First ascent = 1800' above MSL.  Summit = 5200' above MSL.

Mist, wind, clouds, weather, and my activity level in general played more heavily into me being hot or cold than the actual temp.  They have to make a system that isn't overly complex and I get that, but right now they don't even have a good model to follow, let alone getting the mechanics right.

If you ever hiked and know what I am talking about, bean me.

BTW, I liked Stake Land.

• Like 3

I find that once you are not a fresh spawn.. you can quite simply ignore the weather effects.

Just keep yourself in HEALTHY status and it doesnt matter.. It really doesnt.

Btw, has anyone noticed the visible shaking your player does? His hands shake a bit when you are cold.. rifle sway seems the same though.

• Like 1

The system is broken and disregards reality.  For example, in real life (OH NO!  NOT REAL LIFE!!!  Bane of programmers) I climbed Katahdin in Baxter State Park in Maine on a regular basis over 10 years.  My typical experience:  Start out as a hot summer day, hike up and start peeling layers off from heat, halfway up start bundling back up from cold, reach the summit after peeling layers off again from heat... it varied.

Katahdin, First ascent = 1800' above MSL.  Summit = 5200' above MSL.

Mist, wind, clouds, weather, and my activity level in general played more heavily into me being hot or cold than the actual temp.  They have to make a system that isn't overly complex and I get that, but right now they don't even have a good model to follow, let alone getting the mechanics right.

If you ever hiked and know what I am talking about, bean me.

BTW, I liked Stake Land.

Zombie Milkman You have your Beans sir!!!  and I do know what you are talking about. When they say Maine has all four seasons they mean it and  Katahdin has the appearance of any +12,000ft peak in the Sierras (to me). I've never been climbing in Maine but I have done a little backpacking there and on that hike it was cold wet not cold enough to freeze but cold, wet and windy enough to suck your energy away quickly.

The last time I climbed Mount Whitney (14,450ft and the hump starts at 8300ft). It was in late October (a dangerous time). On the way up from the Portal it was warm and clear and I saw some morons on the trail wearing T shirts shorts and fanny packs. My buddies and I had in our packs full on winter kits (October is unpredictable). The mountain was climbed via the steep but easy class 4 winter rout that starts just above the Iceberg lake Basin at 13,000ft or so. Some of the dweebs made sport of our heavy loads and ice axes on the way up and gave me advise on how to get to Everest...But 1/3d of the way down a rather nasty storm hit in the late afternoon and dumped  wind snow and COLD weather on us. We just set up camp and deployed the two tents and hunkered down and started cooking and preparing hot drinks. The dummies had a rather bad night of it. We heard some of them whining and crying on the way down they selected. I'm glad they didn't come across me and my buds looking for handouts because that saved us from denying them any assistance. 

Note:  I liked several aspects of STAKE LAND especially:

1) The Vamps looked like and were as stupid as Zombies.

2) They existed by scavenging trading Vamp teeth and their wits.

3) There were very few state of the art movie guns in the film.

Have you read, "The Postman?" The film sucked balls big time but the book is prime Post Apoc.

Read the first couple of pages from chapter 1 and you'll be hooked. Amazon.com Look inside  http://www.amazon.com/The-Postman-David-Brin/dp/0553278746

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

If you haven't figured it out yet, the condition of your gear affects your temperature. Holes in clothes don't do much to keep you warm. Those dirty, muddy, badly damaged jungle boots, leave 'em. Ruined clothes may still have those valuable slots to hold gear in, but to the weather it's like they're not even there.

I also think that, with some of you, you start to panic when you see the messages. The messages are constant because your temp is always in a flux, but it takes a lot more to get the warming up message than the cooling down so people will tend to always see that they're cooling down and start to freak out. Don't. =) 

• Like 2

Jesus what a surprise :lol:  And I thought my pristine Fireman's jacket, balaclava, Radar cap, gloves, military boots, cargo pants was as good as anyone's. Thanks but that is some seriously useless and irrelevant information some of you have generated. 

*snip*

And no shit, we all know about cold clear days!! But at the same altitude a cold clear sunny bright day isn't jack shit compared to one that is  Cold, Windy, Overcast and Raining. Some of the most miserable cold wet days can be found in Red River Gorge KY. And the Pacific North West where I often play has plenty of shitty Cold, Windy, Overcast and Raining days.

*snip*

Deriding people for trying to contribute to your thread is not constructive. Your original post made a point that the sun is shining and a couple of us had an equally valid point as well. Bright and sunny does not a warm day make.

Authenticity can be achieved through a balance of a few core principles (not over complicated, like Milkman said) which will likely never satisfy your expectations for the system.

I'm not a mountain climber (though I've done some more casual climbs in my youth) but I am an endurance cyclist (100+ mile rides), I ride in all weather, and have done solo self sustained cycle touring in my state with food and shelter carried on my back. Recently I climbed Mount Kearsarge in New Hampshire on a 30+ pound rented hybrid bike reaching the summit in well under an hour (from the base) on their hottest most humid day this year. Yeah, I do some shit too but I don't shove it down anybodies throat.

GtpwKn3.png

One of the most important pieces of advice I came across in researching cold weather activity is layering. "Dress like an onion." This makes altering your gear for conditions easier and allows for wicking of sweat away from the body, given you layer correctly.

With that in mind, in-game we should be able to wear, t-shirt + hoodie + jacket/coat, for added insulation. (*We should not be able to use most pockets in our under layers.)

(Not to derail but your avatar begs the question.... have you see the most recent Survivorman? I like (used to like I guess) Les, but after "Survivorman and Son" (where he basically acted like a terrible father/survival partner) and searching for Bigfoot (with full on camping gear), I will never respect him the same. Edit to say: Ed Stafford is probably my current favorite survival "expert" on TV.)

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

If you haven't figured it out yet, the condition of your gear affects your temperature. Holes in clothes don't do much to keep you warm. Those dirty, muddy, badly damaged jungle boots, leave 'em. Ruined clothes may still have those valuable slots to hold gear in, but to the weather it's like they're not even there.

I also think that, with some of you, you start to panic when you see the messages. The messages are constant because your temp is always in a flux, but it takes a lot more to get the warming up message than the cooling down so people will tend to always see that they're cooling down and start to freak out. Don't. =) 

1)Everyone knows that the condition of your clothing matters that's why my stuff is always pristine. And if it isn't I replace it ASAP. If I have a zombie-ruined Gorka Jacket on and I find a brown plaid, gray checked, or Green wool Jacket the Gorka hits the dumpster faster than a dog can trot.  

2) I don't think anyone is panicking but you might be right on that one (for a very few players especially Noobs.)

3)Right after the wipe I tested how far a player can get with only his starting clothing and no food or drink I spawned on the beach not far from Electro and made it to the NWAF (a 12km trip) before I succumbed to the elements. The shaking, cold, hungry starving soaked etc messages were constant. But once you get the 'you are hypodermic' message you haven't got a real long time to live according to that test.

BioHaze I did not intend to deride anyone especially not you. There is a point and that is how are we to know what the temperature is on a bright sunny day that may be colder than a witches tit or Hot as hell? And since we cant feel the temp Perhaps a Compass +Thermometer combination would be a good item to have. I am looking forward to the day when the other side of the coin pops up "You are overheating" and that will require you to leave open enough slots to hold that nice jacket in your pack. or have the option of loosening and opening your jacket.

If you took offence at anything I said then I apologize so have a can of delicious  Beans :beans:

NOTE: My Brother is an avid cyclist, you guys are in a word insane..but cool :thumbsup:  

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Are you talking about the goofy temp/message variance that has occured since the weds .491 patch or has this been an issue since day 1?

When .49 hit, gorka gear and a hat was all it took to be 100% weather proof.

First day of .49 my char almost died due to hypothermia, fresh spawn locations were looted got hypothermia as I ran from town to town just trying to get a jacket (only to be soaked due to rain every 5 min).  While I think I was close to death, my screen was getting grey, eventually I found some warmer clothes, hat etc and barely made it.   My opinion is if its late fall in Chererus you would think people would at least have a hoodie or light jacket instead of t-shirt and jeans.

The .491 patch hit and many people noticed chances, hard to track down, some people thought it was server or even by player glitch, maybe some season/weather settings?   A server I played on consistently, I was instantly "cold" until today.   Never died with gorka gear or got hypothermia status with hours of running around, just cold constantly.

If you are complaining about the last path, I can understand.  Either they changed something too aggressively or it is a odd bug which happens.

Zombie Milkman has posted his opinion before and it basically comes down to they shouldn't implement anything until its 100% feature rich and be 100% authentic.  If you buy into the "alpha" part of this game, then one can assume the weather and toon reaction to weather, clothing etc is just the basics and beginning.  

I don't know, the devs haven't come out and said they are done with weather, but I also haven't seen a road map or expectations for final product.

The only thing I can tell you as a software engineer.  You always set the simple building blocks first to ensure you base features function the way you expect.  Keep it fairly simple, on/off, workie no workie.  Then you expand, like with more robust clothes layers per se.

• Like 2

(Not to derail but your avatar begs the question.... have you see the most recent Survivorman? I like (used to like I guess) Les, but after "Survivorman and Son" (where he basically acted like a terrible father/survival partner) and searching for Bigfoot (with full on camping gear), I will never respect him the same. Edit to say: Ed Stafford is probably my current favorite survival "expert" on TV.)

BioHaze, I've watched the guy a few times but he is a bit too full of himself for my tastes and i guess he's gone over the deep end and fallen in love with himself.   So I really like this guy (Dave Canterbury) from Pathfinder school better....

I built a sling-bow according to his instructions and it works great. :)    

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

*snip*

BioHaze I did not intend to deride anyone especially not you. There is a point and that is how are we to know what the temperature is on a bright sunny day that may be colder than a witches tit or Hot as hell? And since we cant feel the temp Perhaps a Compass +Thermometer combination would be a good item to have. I am looking forward to the day when the other side of the coin pops up "You are overheating" and that will require you to leave open enough slots to hold that nice jacket in your pack. or have the option of loosening and opening your jacket.

If you took offence at anything I said then I apologize so have a can of delicious  Beans :beans:

NOTE: My Brother is an avid cyclist, you guys are in a word insane..but cool :thumbsup:  

Appreciated.

An environmental thermometer is a good idea, as well as loosening/opening clothes. That would help save inventory for sure.

Simply half opening my barrier layer can often make a very big difference in comfort levels.

Not read any posts but just to say I died of cold and now I scared.

Edited by Jonah_Hobbes

I've watched the guy a few times but he is a bit too full of himself for my tastes  So I really like this guy from Pathfinder school better....

Slingbow is clever.... That guy was in the original partnership on the Dual Survival show and he was legit. I used "batoning" that I learned from them to cut firewood from large tree limbs with a small knife when I went cyclotouring.

Personally, I really like Ed Stafford because he starts with NOTHING and he aims to thrive and not just survive.

Back on topic:

The lack of snow would have to be said to be inauthentic, I guess.

Implementing snow (and possibly snow accumulation) would be really cool, but seems like it would probably be an overcomplicated endeavour in the long run.... oh well.

• Like 1

Slingbow is clever.... That guy was in the original partnership on the Dual Survival show and he was legit. I used "batoning" that I learned from them to cut firewood from large tree limbs with a small knife when I went cyclotouring.

Personally, I really like Ed Stafford because he starts with NOTHING and he aims to thrive and not just survive.

Back on topic:

The lack of snow would have to be said to be inauthentic, I guess.

Implementing snow (and possibly snow accumulation) would be really cool, but seems like it would probably be an overcomplicated endeavour in the long run.... oh well.

I agree 100% I learned the trick of cutting down saplings almost without effort with a folding knife from those guys...cool stuff.

One more thing about layering. Yes as you said it is most certainly the key. Here is a PDF that explains how Mallory and Irvine were dressed on their 1924 attempt on Mount Everest many layers of silk merino wool and an outer sheath of herringbone Gaberdine. Were they freezing their asses off...NO and their clothing was light

350x700px-LL-e86471ad_image-2-for-coleen

http://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Contents/Contents_2007_files/AJ%202007%20243-246%20Hoyland%20Clothing.pdf

a short vid.

all five parts are on youtube.

Note: Here is a survival tool that can be made in the bush I am attempting to craft one and then learn how to use it. The Atlatl

atlatl_deer_big.jpg

Instead of a flint point (I don't do flint Knapping)  I'll make my spears with flame hardened tips and see if I can kill dinner with it. 

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1