Sign in to follow this  
kimmaz

How to Approach other players?

If you really want to talk to another player then the safest way to do it is to identify them, then make sure you are either ready to kill them, or around a corner (3rd person) while addressing them.  If they don't respond, run at you, become aggressive don't waste your time.  Kill them and move on to the next person.  You'll find friendly players eventually.

If they know where you are they will probably kill you.

Stay unseen and in a position where you have the upper hand. If they don't know where you are, but you know where they are you have a massive advantage.

I've been shot whenever I've had a surprise encounter. If you randomly bump into someone, it might be best to kill on sight, I think the suddenness and the shock of it causes people to panic shoot.

If they know where you are they will probably kill you.

Stay unseen and in a position where you have the upper hand. If they don't know where you are, but you know where they are you have a massive advantage.

I've been shot whenever I've had a surprise encounter. If you randomly bump into someone, it might be best to kill on sight, I think the suddenness and the shock of it causes people to panic shoot.

Rofl.. not really... i have a "surprise" encounter with a guy just to day... and he stalked me for 30 MINUTES to kill me when i was cutting a tree, i was a 100% sure that after that "panic" moment we both went different ways. And people are doing this more and more... is like they are desperate to get a kill.. they will follow you for hours and you won't even know to you dead. It really is getting very stupid now.

Edited by Cpanther

Rofl.. not really... i have a "surprise" encounter with a guy just to day... and he stalked me for 30 MINUTES to kill me when i was cutting a tree, i was a 100% sure that after that "panic" moment we both went different ways. And people are doing this more and more... is like they are desperate to get a kill.. they will follow you for hours and you won't even know to you dead. It really is getting very stupid now.

Admittedly my sample size is pretty small, but whenever I've had that oh fuck moment when I've run into a player and we are face to face without knowing of each other's presence, I have been shot. It's happened often enough for me to have decided that the best course of action is not "hey man....[you are dead]" but to shoot them in the face whilst they are still stunned.

I've started friendly interactions with a "hey man", or "how's it going?", then i site then that I'm no threat. Though i do have a lowered fun in my hands when i do so, in case they turn aggressive.

I continue by asking if they need anything, which about half do. If they have little far, give them some food or clothing. If i give a gun, i drop it and tween them I'll drop ammo in a nearby building. One time i have a fresh spawn a rifle and ask, and the prick sour me in the back as we split. We usuallyshoot the shit for a bit, then go our separate ways. I end with a "good luck".

80% of the time, it works out. Most people are happy to have a peaceful encounter. Some have even joined our group. But it off a general mistrust of players, one of us stays behind him.

Have the advantage and keep your gun out. Explain your intentions clearly. Be ready to shoot at the first sign of a threat.

Nailed it.

• Like 1

If they don't speak your language kill them.

If they have a fire arm kill them.

If they attempt to get within three feet of your player character kill them.

If they sound legitimately scared or they ask you for food/water/supplies you can probably trust them, but that's 50/50

If they ask for a gun/ammunition do not give it to them.

If you do end up having them join you then you should keep them in your field of view at all times

Not to bad, but the language thing isnt always a huge redflag. Depends.

Do you like to play realistically? If so, then you should never approach other players. In real life that would lead to death.

If you are just playing to play then there is no specific way to do it. Just make sure you have the advantage and expect to die.

Use third person view to exploit the perspective and gain information.

Use the wall peeking to close the distance on the other player while never even exposing myself to harm.

Finally approach hah I just wait for the right moment and peek out of a corner and shoot the guy

Am I doing DAYZ  right ?

BTW I don't play third person.

If they don't speak your language kill them.

Naw man, i always wanna learn a new word or two.

Most of survivors love it, its a cool icebreaker :P

Edited by halp

I tend to just chat to them, you can have a weapon out but if they don't then I always find its better not to do so, keep a few paces meters back and give yourself somewhere to dart off to if it all goes wrong where you can give yourself a second or two to equip a weapon if need be. To be honest, I try and talk to everyone besides armed squads and anyone I see killing someone else. I hate running around like a paranoid idiot and if I happen to die then so be it, but if it goes well then its a worthwhile risk. Besides, I like gearing up, being adverse to pvp when possible I never know what to do when geared! I have died a few times, some people are just dicks, but for the most part I have found if you speak to someone and just say hey and get chatting, a lot of the time they will respond and be decent.. Or maybe I have just been lucky! But I cant help but think those that are saying just kill them or don't approach are missing out on such a big part of the experience! At the end of the day, its a game, have fun and interact and don't be so precious about your gear until a life actually means something in game!

Do you like to play realistically? If so, then you should never approach other players. In real life that would lead to death.

If you are just playing to play then there is no specific way to do it. Just make sure you have the advantage and expect to die.

If people didn't approach people in a real life apocalypse situation, the human race would die. That's an awful attitude to adopt! In a real life situation people would have to band together or die out, thats pretty much the only two options!

Never ever trust survivors with no clothing. Shoot Russians on sight.

And how you say? "Chocolate faces"

• Like 1

Everytime someone approaches me with their gun out, i dance around them (without taking mine out) and ask them to put theirs away. If they dont listen, i will ask again, resulting in them shooting me. That is why i will KILL everyone who does not put their gun away while talking to me, after being asked to do so. (i would just run away, since they have their gun out ready to shoot me if i attack them harrharr)  DO NOT HAVE YO GUN OUT IF I DONT M8 K PLEASE

Do you guys have any tips on how to approach another player with the intention of talking/joining them without them feeling threatened and attack you? What If there are zombies nearby, do you keep your weapon on your back, or in your backpack, or do you lay it on the ground? Or do you simply avoid others? I've been killed by a lot of ppl, doesn't matter if I got no weapon or what gear I have, seems like ppl meet so few others that when they finally do, they are desperate for pvp action or something,, even if they only have their hands as weapons.

as others have said it's 50/50 shot what the other person is gonna do; but here's a few tips (from someone playing since the start of the mod)

• Learn DayZ body language. I know thier character doesn't mimic thier every movement IRL but watch what they are doing. if they constantly try to move to the edges of your Feild-of view, or behind you when you are messing with inventory, if they constantly try to be between you and the only exit, if they insist on you coming to a specific place of thier choosing to swap items these are ALL warning signs. either Kill or break contact.
  • Never interact/approach groups. if he/she has a group already they don't need you. they have a numerical/firepower advantage by default. you are a walking loot-dispensur for them to farm. if they spotted you first your best bet is probably to 'play nice' and break contact/line of sight as the first reasonable opportunity.
  • Situational awareness is EVERYTHING. Know whats around you, know ideal hidey spots for shooters, and be mindful of this when choosing to interact. if it seems like an easy ambush it probably is. when in doubt tail your query from a distance for a while before making the decision which leads me to...
  • OBSERVE FIRST! obvious bait becomes obvious if you just take some time to watch people before running in screaming 'friendly'. more importantly watch what they are doing. take note of behavior, what type of weapons they might have out and rather or not they have friends. if the person seems to be alone and not too shifty, i have had the best luck approaching people between cities. less places for them to have a friends camping out or have others move in on your blind spot. this does tho also mean if it goes wrong there's little chance of breaking off peacefully

i wait till i can get the jump on them. point my akm at their head and tell them that im friendly( normaly people beleave everything you say when ur holding a akm in their face ) and then i will offer them a pristine banana as sign of my good intentions. 

also i tell them a joke ... being funny saved my live numerous times .

just play it cool, have some balls.

If the guy doesn't respond or seems hostile then go your own ways. If the guy seems a bit aloof or has long pauses then he probably has friends in teamspeak

I ALLWAYS have my pistol out if i travel.  Most People dont realize this during Initial contact.

I ALLWAYS have my pistol out if i travel.  Most People dont realize this during Initial contact.

thats how i met my wife

• Like 1

Its impossible to give you a perfect answer to this question

If you can observe the other player while you remain unseen, try talking to them first. Something like 'Hey. Whats up? Hows it going?' If they immediately pull out their weapon and start to take cover and looking around for you...they will probably shoot you right away. If they seem calm and talk back to you...could be the start of a wonderful relationship.

If the other player sees you first...you are screwed B)

If people didn't approach people in a real life apocalypse situation, the human race would die. That's an awful attitude to adopt! In a real life situation people would have to band together or die out, thats pretty much the only two options!

That's why I said you must approach with the upper-hand.  If not then expect to die.

I usually just sneak up on somebody, give them what they need, then vanish as soon as I can.

I mostly give out ammo and stuff, but I try to stay smart about it. So far, I haven't been bitten in the ass.

Edited by Sockem123