Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

In response to characters being reset:

Don't connect to a server that's restarting/just restarted!

When the servers are booting, they don't immediately connect to the central hive; it takes them a few minutes to do so. If you're connected to the server (even at the Please wait... screen) when it finally synchronizes with the hive, that new character will then be recognized as your official character and you'll lose your actual character.

How to avoid this?

• Don't connect to 8:00/9:20 servers with no one in them
  • Don't immediately connect to a server that's just restarted -- if you were playing on a server that's on your favorites list and it restarts, wait a solid two minutes before reconnecting

As an added level of security, only connect to servers with other players on them.

P.S: Thanks to Irish for bringing all of this to my attention the other day after I lost my character.

• Like 8

Has anyone else noticed that since the 0.50 release, just about every server gives the "not connected to the central server" message? I spent 30 minutes looking for a server to connect to and gave up. It's frustrating. I don't want to start a new character every day.

Has anyone else noticed that since the 0.50 release, just about every server gives the "not connected to the central server" message? I spent 30 minutes looking for a server to connect to and gave up. It's frustrating. I don't want to start a new character every day.

Saw many that warn about problems, never had a problem or character reset. But I know what you mean. You get the best results with server where are already some player connected. Never choose an empty server which just restarted. Let others die first.  B)

The Devs have confirmed that the red message warning you that it couldn't retrieve your character is a bug.

^ this.

• Like 2

The Devs have confirmed that the red message warning you that it couldn't retrieve your character is a bug.

I don't know, it keeps spawning me in as a fresh spawn in a different location every time I spawn in on one.

I now wait till the time shows that the server has been up for 1 minute before joining and haven't lost a character since doing this. I've added a message to tell players this to all our restart warnings.

• Like 1

Servers seem to cycle in an odd way since .49.  They go to 8 am after restart, sitting there for 15-30 seconds.  They then go to 9:20 am, Pretty quickly after the 9:20 am they jump to the programmed start time.  It "appears" to be safe 30 seconds AFTER it hits the programmed start time.  I have also noticed since .50 that occasionally they jump to that 9:20 time and then are actually running from 9:20 no matter what the programmed start time is.

I don't know, it keeps spawning me in as a fresh spawn in a different location every time I spawn in on one.

Could be because you really are dead...

I had a buddy immediately rejoin one, and while he was stuck at 'please wait', he canceled.  He wasn't reset.  I waited about 4 minutes, and my character was reset... crazy stuff.