archamedes

playing both experimental and stable question

I have 2 seperate hard drives and i have the stable on one and im installing experimental on my other one. If I play on the experimental server is it going to affect my character and position when i come back to play on the stable version or will it create a whole new character? Reason I ask this is because I don't want the experimental character to move away from where i am in the stable version, and if i pick up an experimental item I imagine that would cause issues on stable

stable and experimental are on separate hives so its two distinct characters that cannot interact in any way. just curious how do you plan to deploy each version on a separate hard drive?

i use a drive caddy so i can switch C drives which are seperate operating systems like swapping cds

i use a drive caddy so i can switch C drives which are seperate operating systems like swapping cds

oh I see.

I had heard that when both stable and experimental are the same patch (happened with .48), then you only had 1 character throughout.  Otherwise, you have 4 total characters.  2 in experimental, 2 in stable.

Why would you go through so much trouble of doing that?

You can literally have two folders on your harddrive and copy them over yourself without having to do any of that fancy magic of yours.

• Like 1

The Character you Play is not on any of your harddrives. the character is on the hive (central Server).

So if you would visit me and log on my Computer into your account. your character will still be in same Position ( and my char as well). same for the stable/exp Servers.

you load your Position from their hives. And yes Stable/exp Servers do use different hives, as well as first Person and third Person Servers have different hives.

again. your char (gear,positions etc) is not on your Computer.it is on the hive.

Make a copy of the Dayz folder rename the copy Dayzstable then opt in to exp, it will apply the patch to folder only named Dayz. When you want to switch versions just rename the folders.