poodude28 (DayZ)

CPU Question.

Hey, I've been playing DayZ mod since it was first released, including standalone and been dealing with bad frames most of the time (20-35) because of my Dual Core Pentium 3.00 GHz cpu, I have a GTX 750 TI and 12 GB of ram so that should be fine, here's my question, I am getting a I5 3570K Quad Core CPU, how much of a difference do you think it will make with standalone and the mod frames per second? thanks. 

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Hey, I've been playing DayZ mod since it was first released, including standalone and been dealing with bad frames most of the time (20-35) because of my Dual Core Pentium 3.00 GHz cpu, I have a GTX 750 TI and 12 GB of ram so that should be fine, here's my question, I am getting a I5 3570K Quad Core CPU, how much of a difference do you think it will make with standalone and the mod frames per second? thanks. 

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

No worries buddy! I don't think this is the wrong section; anyhow. You ought to get yourself some pretty stable frames on that, since DayZ is hardly optimized at the moment, you'll have a boost easily of about 20+ frames for the most part on average, if not 60+

I got an i5-2500k and I manage most things on medium with a 560TI SLI without much issue.

Don't cross-post, just post once in the correct place please.

In reply to your question - I would have thought that you'll be bottlenecked by the 750 Ti a bit therefore the CPU won't perform as well as it could otherwise. You will definitely see a big improvement though, as you're suffering the exact opposite and your 750 Ti will be horribly bottlenecked by that Pentium right now.

Just make sure you have z77 chipset motherboard for that CPU. Otherwise I suggest you to buy 990fx AMD board with nice 8 core processor :3 Cheaper, but better than i5

I suggest you to buy 990fx AMD board with nice 8 core processor :3 Cheaper, but better than i5

Highly debatable.

For DayZ or Arma anyway anyway Intel > AMD.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 5

Highly debatable.

For DayZ or Arma anyway anyway Intel > AMD.

I have tested DayZ SA with FX 8350 and i7 4770k (both overclocked) and there really is almost no difference.

I have tested DayZ SA with FX 8350 and i7 4770k (both overclocked) and there really is almost no difference.

i5s outperform pretty much any other CPU in DayZ because they have the best single-core performance.

• Like 1

You should easy get another 15-25 fps depending on settings and where you are on the map/what you are looking at.

hey, i got a GTX660 OC and the i5 3570K, too ;)

On medium-low I get 30-80 FPS (sometimes it stutters a bit in Novo and bigger cities ;) )

i5s outperform pretty much any other CPU in DayZ because they have the best single-core performance.

^ this

however if the gfx card out performed the cpu. 

Edited by R0B3RTF1SH3R

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html Strange the current single core performance king is the i7 4790k its the reason when i rebuilt my pc a couple months ago i went that route. (the Amd offerings are rather low down on the list there great in multithreaded apps not so flash single core.

I'm currently running an AMD Phenom II 3.0 ghz (OC to 3.6) on an asus board( forget which one exactly) with a nvidia 760 gtx 2gb and 8gb of ram,I run on medium/low settings and get 25-50 fps running around and in small towns but cities bog it down 15 or even into single digits. I will be upgrading to the 8350 with an asus sabertooth 990fx board and bumping up to 16gb soon. I'm assuming that by that I should be able to crank up my graphics and see a nice boost in fps. I bought the 4790k with a gigabyte z97x gaming board for my sons birthday but i dunno if i can justify forking out another $560(the 8350 and sabertooth will run me about $360) + upgrading both of our ram(he only has 4gb). I will say Arma 3 runs very nice on his tho,as that is his game of choice.

Edited by AdrtySanchez

I'm currently running an AMD Phenom II 3.0 ghz (OC to 3.6) on an asus board( forget which one exactly) with a nvidia 760 gtx 2gb and 8gb of ram,I run on medium/low settings and get 25-50 fps running around and in small towns but cities bog it down 15 or even into single digits. I will be upgrading to the 8350 with an asus sabertooth 990fx board and bumping up to 16gb soon. I'm assuming that by that I should be able to crank up my graphics and see a nice boost in fps. I bought the 4790k with a gigabyte z97x gaming board for my sons birthday but i dunno if i can justify forking out another $560(the 8350 and sabertooth will run me about $360) + upgrading both of our ram(he only has 4gb). I will say Arma 3 runs very nice on his tho,as that is his game of choice.

I built my wifes pc with a 8350 (which i overclocked quite alot) and for gpu i gave her an evga gtx770 sc atx ,she has her settings at a mixture of high and very high and in cities her frames range from high 30"s low 40"s towns mid 40"s low 50's and around 80 fps in open areas so very very playable..

if not 60+

60 PLUS? My fps are capped at 60, even when I look straight down onto an asphalt road in 1st person.

Edited by RogueTrooper

I got a nvidia gtx 760 , paired with i5-3570k @3.4 ghz (honestly one of the BEST processors in the i5 range) with z77 chipset , I got 8gb of ram and I run at 60 fps in woods and 45 fps in small towns , 30 fps in cities but don't worry when this game is optimized your rig should easily do 40-45 fps in small towns and cities ... After you upgrade that processor , start saving up for another graphics card (lots of people have TI's but even though they are great they seem like they are out dating) ... But id say if you're not too worried after you get the processor don't even bother with the graphics card as it seems dayz is very processor heavy so that new i5 should do tha trick ( my graphics card bumps my video settings up to all very highs on dayz whereas the 750ti will probably keep you around medium - high settings) :) .

Edited by Grapefruit kush

My PC is more than 5 years old. I have Pentium Dual core E6300 2.8 GHz. Im trying to buy Quad core Q6600, will I get performace increase? I read exelent rewiews for that CPU, how will it work with dayz? Im happy with "medium" setings.

My PC is more than 5 years old. I have Pentium Dual core E6300 2.8 GHz. Im trying to buy Quad core Q6600, will I get performace increase? I read exelent rewiews for that CPU, how will it work with dayz? Im happy with "medium" setings.

hmm tough one there really as its cpu passmark is obviously higher as its a quad core only problem is though is its single core performance is lower than the e6300.. It can be overclocked to 3.0 or slightly above if your willing/able to do such . It will certainly be a better cpu for general computing but i not sure it will give you what your looking for in dayz unless they start multithreading the game ( which i am hoping they will seriously do specially seeing they announced ps4 port they will need multithreading..)

• Like 1

hmm tough one there really as its cpu passmark is obviously higher as its a quad core only problem is though is its single core performance is lower than the e6300.. It can be overclocked to 3.0 or slightly above if your willing/able to do such . It will certainly be a better cpu for general computing but i not sure it will give you what your looking for in dayz unless they start multithreading the game ( which i am hoping they will seriously do specially seeing they announced ps4 port they will need multithreading..)

Interesting...but Ill buy anyway

I recently upgraded to a G3258 Pentium Haswell FROM a Q6600. The Q6600 even overclocked to 3.2Ghz was not acceptable for DayZ in my opinion. To many frame dips and random lag. The single core performance is just not good enough. Now, having upgraded on the CHEAP to a new unlocked Pentium Haswell chip, combined with a good Z97 motherboard and a 4.4Ghz overclock, DayZ is silky smooth with the same GPU. Which is an old GTX 460. Medium to high settings, consistently high FPS without lag. The upgrade with motherboard, cpu, closed loop water cooler and ram was less than usd $300 using existing components like case, psu, gpu, etc.. 

Bottom line, the Q6600 was a great chip for its day but when it comes to gaming and poorly optimized games like DayZ it cannot compete with the raw clock speed of a newer architecture Pentium chip. Not to mention an i5 or i7 series processor. For the money, I highly recommend the G3258 Pentium chip. I do not think it can be beat in the budget gaming segment...even by AMD.

• Like 1

60 PLUS? My fps are capped at 60, even when I look straight down onto an asphalt road in 1st person.

Vsync enabled by any chance?

• Like 1

Bah, you can always turn off HT in bios and make your i7 shine as well!  :thumbsup:

Oh how much I yearn for client optimalisation to see some decent frames in SA.

By decent, I mean like 40+ in cities, because having i7 4770K and R9 290 and still go down as much as to 20 fps when it cities (depending on where you look), that sucks hard.

Bah, you can always turn off HT in bios and make your i7 shine as well!  :thumbsup:

Oh how much I yearn for client optimalisation to see some decent frames in SA.

By decent, I mean like 40+ in cities, because having i7 4770K and R9 290 and still go down as much as to 20 fps when it cities (depending on where you look), that sucks hard.

True, but i5s still seem to fair better than every i7 up to the 4770k for some reason.

Honestly, I like to think that by the time we get to the final release 60 FPS on max settings with whatever top of the range hardware is available at that time is not an unrealistic goal.

Edited by Mos1ey

True, but i5s still seem to fair better than every i7 up to the 4770k for some reason.

Honestly, I like to think that by the time we get to the final release 60 FPS on max settings with whatever top of the range hardware is available at that time is not an unrealistic goal.

Is that measured with hyperthreading off on those i7's? Because that kinda makes a difference, I've test it myself and can confirm.

i7's with HT turned off, should theoreticaly become i5's with more cache. But what I agree with you 100% is, that i5 has far better price/performance ratio to those of i7's. There's no doubt about that.

Old renderer is already getting gutted for some time, so here is me hoping that better client performance will come even sooner than with final release. We are allowed to dream right? :-)