Xenolian

Will we ever be able to sneak up on someone and take stuff from their backpack?

In dayz mod one of the funnest things to do for gear was sneak up on snipers and take their items, sometimes even a gun to kill them, I'm a little dissapointed that it's not in the game yet, but wondering if it ever will be. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

• Like 2

In dayz mod one of the funnest things to do for gear was sneak up on snipers and take their items, sometimes even a gun to kill them, I'm a little dissapointed that it's not in the game yet, but wondering if it ever will be. What's everyone's thoughts on it?

That'd be something to be pretty paranoid about. I'd love to do that to a sniper, though you could also use handcuffs ;)

That'd be something to be pretty paranoid about. I'd love to do that to a sniper, though you could also use handcuffs ;)

. But with handcuffs you can hear it and try to run or turn around and shoot, I've tried and failed SO many times with that tactic

or when somebody is kneeling or laying down there would be an option to strangle them unconscious and steel their stuff. 

I hope it woun't be possible. Seemed tad stupid, that you could open a backpack without single sound in a second.

Anyway bare fists are instrument of doom, so if you manage to sneak upon prone sniper, chances are, you will beat the crap out of him before he manages even to stand up.

And once he is KO'ed....well we all know how that story ends.

• Like 1

You can kinda.

in 0.45 or something i knocked out a chick and stole her shotgun in Chapaevsk apartment blocks after she failed to hit me twice at 3m.  Already had ammo in my pockets.

I took her life after that.

punch to the head and you could steal their stuff. Same with unconscious / dead.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

that was a very good game mechanic which made the game more open and i wish it comes back.

I was stealing whatever wherever i could.

had only medium succes rates (on 3rd and 1st person) but never shot anybody with his own weapon though.

i love stealing wihtout the victim knowing it. i do not like to knock people out or handcuff them, it is not the same.

if you know your inventory you will notice soon enough.

with the old inventory "system" it was not so easy to play with peoples minds because when you missed something most of the time you assumed the gods of chernarus may have took it ("my backpack ate my $whatever").

with the new inventory system and all the new stuff there are quite some possibilities ...

If you crawl you can creep up on someone that has tunnel vision. Done it before. I'm not aware of how much sound it makes when you crawl, since the footstep sound in this game is hard to hear to begin with. Like if you are inside a building and someone comes running in. I can't hear it at least.

3pp doesn't allow you to sneak up on people.  :rolleyes:

I actually hadnt thought of that one...just add it to the list of silly gameplay u get from 3rd person ;)

I find that a great idea.

I already see some saying you can just knock a person out, but I had my green motorcycle helmet save me from numerous sneaky freshspawns, so it's not a valid tactic against someone who goes prepared (and doesn't underestimate bambies). :D If they could steal... All those occasions would probably have a totally different outcome.

Besides, you might not want the person to know you were there and inform all his friends on Team Speak, right?

I do think that there should be some % base system that may inform the victim about someone's hand in his/her backpack :). Perhaps have the "pickpocket" ability be taxed, which increases the chances of the notification with each subsequent manipulated item?

Something like stealing an apple has a 15% of notifying the owner and places a 10% taxation on the ability, so that if you try to steal another apple, the owner has 25% (15+10) of getting notified.

Also, the very opening another player's inventory should have a notification chance as well. :)

Ahhhh, the wishful thinking..... :)

Steal from backpack would need to have animation and some noise even if quiet one.

To just click and have instant access to somebody's backpack is both silly and has negative influence on gameplay.

Besides if you could do that, some folks would KOS even more, being affraid of jerks stealing sh*t from their backpacks.

I though it was possible... after standing still for a minute and wathcing a town, i had a naked guy running behind me with handcuffs and a tactical vest. Only after getting rid of him i relized the vest was the same model missing from my inventory (together with a medkit and a drum mag). Was missing my handcuffs also.

But might've been a hacker for all i know. He was doing micro teleports instead of running... 10 round of AKM in the belly didn't seem to bother him much. Spotted him still warping around but prone a bit later. Also, he was an awfull shot. He managed to miss me with his double rifle (i wonder where he found this one...) while i was still 10m from him.

Completely crap idea sorry, try it in real life sneak up on a backpacker and see how you go trying to open his/her pack, dig around through it to find what you want and pull it out of a loaded pack without them feeling/hearing it....