Katana67

Weapons - Where Should They Go Next?

DayZ should have a much heavier focus on residential and hunting type weapons, not military grade freedom-dispensers.

Don't fully agree.

Military gear are great for end-game objectives and continue to keep players pushing deeper to more dangerous areas. Feel like i'v been brainwashed by Katana, but it's all about rarity. If they can get that right (which no doubt will take them some time..) Then there can be just as much military gear as residential and hunting. Just that they'd be way harder to find.

In the end it doesn't matter what they add, just how they balance the amount of it all.

Edited by Chompster
  • Like 1

Lasers, plasma cannons, black hole grenades, light sabres, handheld tactical nuke launchers. 

Yes yes yes, but when are we going to learn to use pointed sticks?

SHADDAP!

Most of these resources are already in game...

Edited by q.S Sachiel

SHADDAP!

Most of these resources are already in game...

All we need is a Chemrail gun.... XD

Edited by Deathlove

Don't fully agree.

Military gear are great for end-game objectives and continue to keep players pushing deeper to more dangerous areas. Feel like i'v been brainwashed by Katana, but it's all about rarity. If they can get that right (which no doubt will take them some time..) Then there can be just as much military gear as residential and hunting. Just that they'd be way harder to find.

In the end it doesn't matter what they add, just how they balance the amount of it all.

They can make the mil gear as rare as they want, but unless there is a plethora of different civillian weapons to be had, you're just going to see the same 3 civilian guns over and over in every shed, barn and house.

A wildly exaggerated example:

26 different military guns - your chance to find any of them is slim.

4 civilian guns - the same ones over and over everywhere.

I'd rather have 26 of each type, and simply see more civillian weapons available, regardless of which of the 26 models.

• Like 1

- Scorpion Vz61

- UMP 45

- S&W Revolver .38

- PPSH41

- PPSH43

- M1 A1 Carabine

- SVT 40

- US-M3 Grease Gun

- Mauser C96

- slug shells for shotguns

- different ammos for Blaze...blaze should inflict more damage than  a mosin.

- M41 Pulse Rifle from Alien

- DL 44 Han Solo Blaster

- Auto 9 handgun from Robocop

- Proton backpacks from Ghostbusters

- Annihilator 2000 rifle from Beverly Hills Cop 3.....so that i can cook food in the micronde! That's awesome Dean! Please do it! DO IIIITTTT!!!!

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 2

- Proton backpacks from Ghostbusters

Finally a legit suggestion!   :thumbsup: :beans:

• Like 1

They can make the mil gear as rare as they want, but unless there is a plethora of different civillian weapons to be had, you're just going to see the same 3 civilian guns over and over in every shed, barn and house.

I'd agree that there should be a corresponding amount of "civilian" weapons to "military" weapons. Which, to a large extent, we've got now. There's a solid 50/50 divide, by my own assessment, with the current weapon lineup.

However, if we're willing to adopt a relatively strict interpretation of what constitutes a "civilian" weapon... then we're working with a limited inventory anyhow in terms of functional and stylistic archetypes.

You've essentially just got pump-action shotguns (which share some overlap with "military" weapons), bolt-action hunting rifles (which also share some overlap with "military" weapons), pistols (which is a huge concession, as many of the pistols in-game are pretty "miltiary" oriented), and .22 LR plinkers.

I mean, you can only put so many bolt-action, wood-stocked, hunting rifles in the game before they get repetitive. The same thing is happening with the AKs we've got now.

The problem is, at least in my view, "civilian" weapons are inherently more generic stylistically and functionally. So they're more apt to be homogeneous anyhow.

Edited by Katana67

I'd agree that there should be a corresponding amount of "civilian" weapons to "military" weapons. Which, to a large extent, we've got now. There's a solid 50/50 divide, by my own assessment, with the current weapon lineup.

However, if we're willing to adopt a relatively strict interpretation of what constitutes a "civilian" weapon... then we're working with a limited inventory anyhow in terms of functional and stylistic archetypes.

You've essentially just got pump-action shotguns (which share some overlap with "military" weapons), bolt-action hunting rifles (which also share some overlap with "military" weapons), pistols (which is a huge concession, as many of the pistols in-game are pretty "miltiary" oriented), and .22 LR plinkers.

I mean, you can only put so many bolt-action, wood-stocked, hunting rifles in the game before they get repetitive. The same thing is happening with the AKs we've got now.

The problem is, at least in my view, "civilian" weapons are inherently more generic stylistically and functionally. So they're more apt to be heterogeneous anyhow.

I would be VERY VERY board with this game is it was predominately just all civilian grade weapons.

I very much like the idea of certain weapons being the only way to procure optics from.

The SVD is a prime example.

Having the SVD have 2 spawn types one with optics and one without while at the same time removing any pso scopes from spawning in the game world would do wonders to making optics rare.

This would of course not restrict the player freedom in any way they can remove the optics from an svd and put them on an akm if they wish.

Also love the 2 guns you posted in the picture.

The bren I actually would love in the game its ultra modern sure but it would fit the lore if the game does indeed take inspiration from the CZech republic.

I still fail to see what's problematic with "ultra modern" stuff to you, like everything post-2000 (and most 90s/late 80s stuff) would suddenly disappear after some (at least) nation-ending disaster. Why, exactly, is it so "jarring" to see disaster survivors utilizing technology in order to further their survival? If someone found working advanced tech, they'd be stupid not to make some use of it, and it's not like all of that would suddenly be absent.

There are a few problems to your idea of optics only being procured from certain weapons -

1. For one thing, the PSO scope is already ingame. Even after the global wipe, loot centralization will likely come later, and thus there'll be the problem of the pre-existing PSO scopes. This goes for making any other optics/attachments only spawn on applied guns already ingame.
  2. It makes it far easier for people who DO find a gun to be leveled up. The whole point of having optics being rare is the fact that they're useful and can be applied to guns in order to give them more utility. Making them spawn on the guns would remove the point of finding them, because in order to find the optic you'd also need to find the gun; per say finding a scope-less SVD first.

Both optics and weapons need to be rare, but making them spawn together would do absolutely nothing to help the rarity. All that needs to be done to make optics rarer... is to decrease their chance of spawning... not only allow them to spawn on the guns in the first place.

• Like 1

A wildly exaggerated example:

26 different military guns - your chance to find any of them is slim.

4 civilian guns - the same ones over and over everywhere.

I'd rather have 26 of each type, and simply see more civillian weapons available, regardless of which of the 26 models.

Good thing that isn't the case already then.

Please add this gun-art.jpeg

NO NO NO NO NO NO! You got it ALL wrong! We need these to fight the food war on terrorism!

cancer-food-weapon.png

20091011-BA-K-47_1.jpg

l_580_345_0ca717af-b873-4484-80ba-2d0473

bed99fef0bbb06330cb584f3e7219a57.jpg

$_35.JPG

........I want those chocolate weapons now. XD

Edited by Deathlove

Well pointed sticks and rocks is what you use after the war with weapon I mentioned. 

Please add this gun-art.jpeg

That will definitely stop the KoSing... or make it worst depending on the level of intelligence of the users. 

Well pointed sticks and rocks is what you use after the war with weapon I mentioned. 

No go with the chocolate weapons instead!

Chernaurus is based off the Czech Republic

I think I've made my point about this before. Just because you read in some PC gamer article that the geography of the map is based off some remote part of the Czech Republic, doesn't mean Chernarus and CZ are similar in any way. The only thing they share is the language, but most of you wouldn't know that, because you probably didn't know there was a Chernarussian language.

But for the record, Chernarus and CZ are very different states. One is a former member of the USSR, the other is a former Warsaw Pact member. One has the economy of Belarus, the size of Belgium, and has some serious problems with ethnic Russians. The other is NOTHING like Chernarus, bar the language and geography.

Devs, could you PLEASE pin the ArmA 2 backstory on the website SOMEWHERE? People are too unaware that there is a backstory.

I think I've made my point about this before. Just because you read in some PC gamer article that the geography of the map is based off some remote part of the Czech Republic, doesn't mean Chernarus and CZ are similar in any way. The only thing they share is the language, but most of you wouldn't know that, because you probably didn't know there was a Chernarussian language.

But for the record, Chernarus and CZ are very different states. One is a former member of the USSR, the other is a former Warsaw Pact member. One has the economy of Belarus, the size of Belgium, and has some serious problems with ethnic Russians. The other is NOTHING like Chernarus, bar the language and geography.

Devs, could you PLEASE pin the ArmA 2 backstory on the website SOMEWHERE? People are too unaware that there is a backstory.

Except that artists & devs like Chris Torchia have explicitly stated that the Czech Republic is a good inspiration for how they're modeling Chernarus+. It's not THE or even largest inspiration, but they've absolutely said it's a part of it.

Except that artists & devs like Chris Torchia have explicitly stated that the Czech Republic is a good inspiration for how they're modeling Chernarus+. It's not THE or even largest inspiration, but they've absolutely said it's a part of it.

Right, but the use of Czech for the modeling of Chernarus is pretty much just to do with the modeling of the landscape. The actual geographical layout of Chernarus is based on a region of the Czech Republic. After that, not much to share between the two.

Cap'n is taking issue with those who say "X is found in the Czech Republic, therefore, it should be found in Chernarus." Which is about as silly as those who say "X isn't found in the Czech Republic, therefore it shouldn't be in Chernarus."

Right, but the use of Czech for the modeling of Chernarus is pretty much just to do with the modeling of the landscape. The actual geographical layout of Chernarus is based on a region of the Czech Republic. After that, not much to share between the two.

Cap'n is taking issue with those who say "X is found in the Czech Republic, therefore, it should be found in Chernarus." Which is about as silly as those who say "X isn't found in the Czech Republic, therefore it shouldn't be in Chernarus."

No, that's not at all what I stated (or, at least meant - my use of English is rather poor). I actually meant that the Czech Republic is a semi-large influence on the culture, military, politics, as well as geography of Chernarus.

image.png

CR2.png

Those are fairly simple statements, but they're at least using some data compiled from the CZR to create Chernarus+.

I'm not saying it really does matter, for all it does Chernarus could have space lasers, jetpacks, and T-100 'Arnold' zombies, and still be just as valid, because it's a fictional game. And add to that I've never cared for the realistic argument. But the people who are saying that Czech stuff fits in do have some merit in the real world.

There are more but they're so far back it's hard to keep digging.

Yes thanks for that. I would feel a little offended if any folks thought our Czech republic looks like Chernarus when talking about anything else then geographical layout.

I mean we really are not that poor, there are not washmaschines dumped everywhere nor our folks wear clothing from Russian fashion shop from 1980.

the sa-58 would make me so happy. 

Indeed! There are certainly more folks that would love this weapon in DayZ :).

And I would still argue with Scubaman, that atleast with fixed stock, it kinda looks different than AK.

Btw would love this old funky camo clothing as well hehe.

tXPW45A.jpg

• Like 1

Indeed! There are certainly more folks that would love this weapon in DayZ :).

And I would still argue with Scubaman, that atleast with fixed stock, it kinda looks different than AK.

Btw would love this old funky camo clothing as well hehe.

tXPW45A.jpg

They can further differentiate it from the akm by making the sa58 have no accessories other than the bayonet.

This way the akm can be moved up in the high end loot table due to its versatility with its wide set of attachments.

The sa58 then can be the starter military rifle with no attachments other than a bayonet.

They can further differentiate it from the akm by making the sa58 have no accessories other than the bayonet.

This way the akm can be moved up in the high end loot table due to its versatility with its wide set of attachments.

The sa58 then can be the starter military rifle with no attachments other than a bayonet.

Except that there's no real reason why it wouldn't be able to use most of those attachments.

In all honesty, it'd be better if they made the Vz.58 the one with more accessories, assuming one is ever created.

The AKM isn't 'really' a high-end rifle; it just has a lot of attachments, most of which are only aesthetic. The only ones you could truly say are advantageous are the; flashlight & bipod, (universal attachments) PSO-1 (though it's not an AKM/AK101 exclusive), and the RIS, because it allows for the first two. Otherwise you've just got the standard wooden parts, plastic parts, and folding stock, all of which wouldn't really impact the gun's performance. You could say this for really any 7.62x39 AK/AK lookalike.

IMO the guns should be based upon how useful their respective attachments are, rather than just how many they have. Instead of removing possible versatility from the Vz.58, you could also make it MORE versatile than the AKM, allowing it to use a wider range of optics and aftermarket attachments, and simply PUT IT on the high end scale.

As far as the Chernarus = Czech Republic comparsions go, afaik the Czech Republic never used the cyrillic alphabet, Hombre might correct me if i'm wrong. So lets just stick to the fact that Chernarus is a fictional, poor, post-sovjet country. While the geography is based on Ustecky kraj, the general setting reminds me more of rural areas of Belarus.

For the weapons, i dont like assault rifles and any other typically military-only gear. For no reason, i just don't like it and i have the feeling that it doesnt really suit the game if it becomes to much. I wanna see hunting rifles, shotty's, handcrafted weapon modifications ( obrez was win! ) and all that stuff. Being a fully kitted modern age combat soldier kills the immersion to survive in a post-apocalyptic scenario for me. I know the "ArmA with Zombies" argument is kinda old, but thats exactly how i feel. My character is no elite soldier. It's some random average dumbass that just woke up at the coast and needs to figure out how to survive the nightmare he just got into.

So, as everyone is free to play a sandbox game as he wishes, i avoid military gear, and that being said i dont need M16's, M107's, G3's, G36's, STEYR AUG's and all that shit. I'm fine with the M1 however, since it's actually the western SKS.

Edited by ChainReactor

That could work, or it could go the other way, like Chaingunfighter suggested.

So just maybe, vz.58 could be able to mount Acog provided you found mount or rails.

But I'd be happy with either!

IMO the guns should be based upon how useful their respective attachments are, rather than just how many they have. Instead of removing possible versatility from the Vz.58, you could also make it MORE versatile than the AKM, allowing it to use a wider range of optics and aftermarket attachments, and simply PUT IT on the high end scale.

Hmm yes...realism freak inside me is nodding to the notion, that vz.58 would be somehow rarer than your standard AK74 / AKM.

To somehow make it worthwile it could be able to use Acog or something that AK's can't. 

Just an opinion though.

As far as the Chernarus = Czech Republic comparsions go, afaik the Czech Republic never used the cyrillic alphabet, Hombre might correct me if i'm wrong. So lets just stick to the fact that Chernarus is a fictional, poor, post-sovjet country. While the geography is based on Ustecky kraj, the general setting reminds me more of rural areas of Belarus.

Did you call me buddy? You are 100% right, in Czech rep we do not use cyrilic alphabet, but just your normal one that folks in western Europe and US use.

Hence it is funny for us czechs to see mix of czech signs along with cyrilic ones.

Same as our church is not Orthodox as in Russia, but your average european Catholic one, although we are not very religious. Probably because we had communism since end of the 2nd world war and those guys were not keen on concept of Jesus, but rather comrad Stalin or whoever reigned from Moscow at that time. But it is a funny thing, that our neighbours in Poland are rather hardcore christians and had communist history similar to ours.

Regarding your sentiment about military stuff being too abundant I kinda share it.

I mean it is inevitable that SA will get more of military stuff, but maybe once stuff gets balanced, all those AK's and M4's will be considerably rare. Well M4's being heli crash only are rare enough I'd say :). 

On the other hand every player draws his own line as when stuff is too abundant or too rare. There is nothing that devs can do to satisfy 100% of player base.

All we might hope for, that game will reach level of balance acceptable for most of the players I think.

I would hate to be forced to run around armed with only improvised bow and sharp stick.

Edited by Hombre
  • Like 1