Sign in to follow this  
Cpanther

Communication compromise in DayZ.

Ok, so... this debate of people not using a mic and getting KoSed is getting old. You NEVER going to make everyone use a mic, for lots of different reasons. We need a "Compromise" here.. something that will fix the problem without discriminating a portion of the community.

So here is what i propose..a Hot Keys system with pre-set communication phrases.. like;

- I am friendly

- Surrender

- Hello

- Bye

- Don't shoot

- I surrender

All the basic first encounter phrases that people use the most.

So.. you come across someone..you press .. lets say Numpad 1 and you characters says; " I am Friendly", after that the chat can develop either way.. mic or not mic. 

Edited by Cpanther

Incase you missed my post here:

If you're being kicked for typing in chat it's not got to do with DayZ. This is being caused by BEC, which is responsible for scheduled Server-Messages and -Restarts.

It's a simple misconfiguration of a third-party-program and has literally nothing to do with DayZ.

It's not a bug, it's not a feature. And it will change soon enough. No need to get angry about it - you guys seriously need to think for atleast half a second before posting.

- I am friendly

- Surrender

- Hello

- Bye

- Don't shoot

- I surrender

Already have those. They're called gestures and can be used by pressing F1, F2, etc.

• Like 1

Incase you missed my post here:

Already have those. They're called gestures and can be used by pressing F1, F2, etc.

Yeah.. but i always get those confuse in the heat of the first encounter, sometimes i press the middle finger one by mistake. Also.. a phrase may be more convincing than trying to high five someone for no reason...I didn't miss that post, you know that.. i was talking about the very old debate about having to use a Mic to don't get koSed.

KoS means Killed on Sight, this means you don't have the time to start socializing, pressing any key to say "Hi" or anything else will not help. We're in 2014, having a headset with a mic is cheaper than DayZ. Personally I don't reply using my mic, if I'm in a situation where I need to use my mic (I have one) it means I got caught by surprise and I open fire whatever I hear. It's up to the guy that's taking you by surprise to make sure he's doing everything right. If someone approaches me and I'm not aware of him I just KoS.

• Like 1

KoS means Killed on Sight, this means you don't have the time to start socializing, pressing any key to say "Hi" or anything else will not help. We're in 2014, having a headset with a mic is cheaper than DayZ. Personally I don't reply using my mic, if I'm in a situation where I need to use my mic (I have one) it means I got caught by surprise and I open fire whatever I hear. It's up to the guy that's taking you by surprise to make sure he's doing everything right. If someone approaches me and I'm not aware of him I just KoS.

So what you saying is... that KoSing have nothing to do with having a mic ? Because is a lot of people that thinks the "mic" is the reason why people is KoSing so much. You see, this debate is not new... it have been around for ages. I personally think like you do... how you communicate have nothing to do with KoSing.

I'd like this, but only if it typed the message in chat (rather than there being an actual voice). I live with other people, so yelling "I'm friendly" at 1am doesn't usually go down very well, so when I play late I restrict myself to keyboard. Stopping to type in chat puts me at a disadvantage. In fact it might be nice if we could set our own pre-set custom messages bound to hotkeys.

• Like 1

To be clear.. if someone "wants" to communicate with you, it will find a way.. either mic, typing, or gestures... if someone wants to kill you, it will kill you whatever you say, type, or do.

Edited by Cpanther

I'd like this, but only if it typed the message in chat (rather than there being an actual voice). I live with other people, so yelling "I'm friendly" at 1am doesn't usually go down very well, so when I play late I restrict myself to keyboard. Stopping to type in chat puts me at a disadvantage. In fact it might be nice if we could set our own pre-set custom messages bound to hotkeys.

Actually, that will very cool if you can pre-set your own phrases to fit with your personality...but obviously, as always..people are going to find a problem with that too.

Yep, the guy that approaches the other has to make sure he's not putting the other under pressure, otherwise bad things can happen.

It happened to me about 10 days ago, I was in Lopatino after a successful raid on NWAF, I was looking for food when suddenly a guy in military gear shows up, I raise my AK101 to force him take cover, he screams "I'm friendly, I'm friendly, I know I have a Mosin but it's not loaded", in one blink on an eye I told myself "look this guy has found you, he claims he has no ammo despite being near NWAF, I'm in Lopatino, this place is surrounded by open fields, no forest where to flee, that guy is not alone, for sure he's trying to trick me, that house nearby has an upper floor, that's my only chance, running for cover in the forest means death, I need to take my chances and go in that house at the upper floor where I cannot be sniped or flanked". And I was right, the guy was not alone, I could hear him chatting with his friends, probably 3 at least. Then the guy I saw made the mistake to enter the upper room and I sent him about 10 rounds in his body to make him understand I don't like to be approached like that. They chatted a bit while their friend was agonizing downstairs, I was ready for an epic last stand, only a grenade could kill me but they gave up.

If you want to socialize with someone then don't put the other under pressure, F1 or any other key is of no use, it may sound paranoid but my life is more important than theirs to me, better safe than sorry.

Yeah.. but i always get those confuse in the heat of the first encounter, sometimes i press the middle finger one by mistake. Also.. a phrase may be more convincing than trying to high five someone for no reason...I didn't miss that post, you know that.. i was talking about the very old debate about having to use a Mic to don't get koSed.

first problem can be solved by binding the most important gestures to a custom key. As for the phrase, you can use your microphone and use your real voice, I don't see why that would be a problem in the first place.

People over use the word koSed to much lately, most of them die because of bad thinking before encountering people, or by drinking while in an open field. It is called getting shot, learn from it, don't make the same mistake twice and prevent getting killed in the future.

The whole "koSed" thing could be solved by just logic thinking based on the situation.

first problem can be solved by binding the most important gestures to a custom key. As for the phrase, you can use your microphone and use your real voice, I don't see why that would be a problem in the first place.

People over use the word koSed to much lately, most of them die because of bad thinking before encountering people, or by drinking while in an open field. It is called getting shot, learn from it, don't make the same mistake twice and prevent getting killed in the future.

The whole "koSed" thing could be solved by just logic thinking based on the situation.

The problem is that for some people is not just a matter of "using your own voice"..some people have families, they live with other people, they don't like talking to strangers, maybe they can type English but their accent is to strong and people can't understand them...dude... one million and one reasons.

I just can't see why people can't understand something so simple......

Edited by Cpanther

Just look at the EU servers... most of them are UK based.. few German ones.. few France.. which means that the majority of people have no where to go.. except for servers where no one speaks their language.. so..how you expect that people to communicate ?

You guys always fails to see the bigger picture with you MIC dreams.

So what you saying is... that KoSing have nothing to do with having a mic ? 

If someone shoots you on sight, hes not looking for conversation.