matus101

So M1 Garand has been confirmend...

M1 Garand  

82 members have voted

1. 1. M1 Garand should be...

• not in the game.
    • in the game, spawning as much as mosin, sks and such...
    • a rare unicorn.

To the Soviet Union during WW II sent tens of thousands of these rifles, after the war, most of them went to the store where they were kept as a reserve in case of World War III. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, most of them were sold to civilians or sent them to the steelworks. Still is a neighboring Takistan which received considerable military support (including guns lying in warehouses of US Army or old production lines for M1 Garand) from the United States during the Cold War. So personally this rifle could exist in Chernarus but relatively small amounts.

I think he was just speaking off the cuff, I'd be very surprised if that gun somehow manages to worm its way into this game. Closest I would expect to see would be M14, M1A, Norinco, Polytech. If we do get an M1 Garand then (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ I also want a Webley Mk III, an Ithaca Auto & Burglar and a No. 5 Mk I because what the hell.

Okay yesterday I heard about how Rocket confirmed M1 Garand...and I think thats the most irrelevant weapon they could add in DayZ. In history of Chernarus there is no mention of US forces being present in Chernarus. I live in Slovakia ( the fine country that  have posters across the Chernarus with export beer Smadny Maskrtnik) and its really hard to get your hands on a soviet weaponery not to mention the ww2 american guns....If they want to add ww2 american weapons they should add the guns that were shipped to soviet union during the Land Lease like thompsons for example.

My point is...if they want to add the ww2 guns they should add weapons of  german or soviet origin.

There is nothing wrong with having passion for the game for which I have alot myself. I am constantly running future dayz scenarios, events, buildings, skins, weapons ideas and whatever all the time. I think theres some things we shouldnt worry about too much. I understand the whole "fitting in" thing but I really think we shouldnt care about it so there is a super variety of things like weapons big ones, small ones and obscure ones!.. I do agree that russian and german ww2 weapons should be considered and hopefully we may see some in the future. Seeing a ppsh for the first time would be nuts :D

At the end of the day I believe that the variety in what we can choose to use over rides anything to do with making things realistic for realistic sake, especially in a weapons/items sense :D

• Like 1

I just wanted to state that the op probably didn't watch Dean Rocket at pax. Dean clearly stated that he knows some guns in-game and some soon to be in-game weapons aren't from Chernarus. He said he wanted to put a variety of guns in the game so people can create there own story and use there favorite weapons. He even said he doesn't think it ruins or lessens the immersion of the game it adds to it.

How can you "create your own story" when all players start on the shoreline of a country where every single sign and poster has Cyrillic script all over it?

Are we supposed to pretend that we're in Kansas and we just picked up a surplus M1 from Bob's Guns 'n' Bait?

• Like 1

Are we supposed to pretend that we're in Kansas and we just picked up a surplus M1 from Bob's Guns 'n' Bait?

Because no other country besides the US has civilian gun ownership or allows the importation of foreign made firearms for civilian use.

Because no other country besides the US has civilian gun ownership or allows the importation of foreign made firearms for civilian use.

The fact you can find weapons from Earth somewhere on Earth doesn't mean the M1 Garand is a quality, suitable, well-though-out, atmospheric choice. If the setting means nothing what's the point of the setting? Might as well just change the road signs and say the whole thing takes place in America.

The best Garand-like firearm would be, dun dun dun...

RjSJe4K.jpg?1

• Like 1

Who cares about lore, we just make our own lore... Also, the M1 was all over the place during WW2, i guess it will be possible that some of them ended up in Russia.. the same way as some Russian weapons ended up in the USA.

Edited by Cpanther

The fact you can find weapons from Earth somewhere on Earth doesn't mean the M1 Garand is a quality, suitable, well-though-out, atmospheric choice. If the setting means nothing what's the point of the setting? Might as well just change the road signs and say the whole thing takes place in America.

RjSJe4K.jpg?1

Ooooh a Norinco M14, is that yours gews? how does it shoot ? whats the build quality like ? as a couple of their firearms are not the best. I have my Norico 1911A1 which is excellent especially after I modded it.

Still love my Garand though so don't knock it.

M1 Garands were sent to Russia during WWII that much I know, but, as to how many that would have to be looked up.

Edited by Legio23

Ooooh a Norinco M14, is that yours gews? how does it shoot ? whats the build quality like ? as a couple of their firearms are not the best. I have my Norico 1911A1 which is excellent especially after I modded it.

Nope, I don't have one but they are very popular here in 22" and 18.5" (and more popular than M14/M1A in other countries too... such as Russia itself, cheaper sells), they are supposed to be decent, they used to be >$450 but now they seem to start at $550. Also popular is their 1897 copy for Cowboy Action which is available in the States too as Chinese shotguns may still be imported.

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

To the Soviet Union during WW II sent tens of thousands of these rifles, after the war, most of them went to the store where they were kept as a reserve in case of World War III. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, most of them were sold to civilians or sent them to the steelworks. Still is a neighboring Takistan which received considerable military support (including guns lying in warehouses of US Army or old production lines for M1 Garand) from the United States during the Cold War. So personally this rifle could exist in Chernarus but relatively small amounts.

Nope. Only 1 M1 rifle was sent to the USSR as part of the Lend-Lease agreement.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/index.html#index

See page 5.

Still love my Garand though so don't knock it.

M1 Garands were sent to Russia during WWII that much I know, but, as to how many that would have to be looked up.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/index.html#index

See page 5.

Just the one was sent.

Who cares about lore, we just make our own lore... Also, the M1 was all over the place during WW2, i guess it will be possible that some of them ended up in Russia.. the same way as some Russian weapons ended up in the USA.

Yes, the M1 was all over the place during WW2, pretty much everywhere except for Russia

*epic facepalm*

I would like that the game is based on some theme so they can focus that fully. Then when the game is done they can expand to another theme like America or WWII with a DLC or expansion or something like that with not only guns but a map that fits. It will feel like the mod again because there are bit everything and things feel out of place.

• Like 1

Chernarus is a fictional place, which means that the lore can be whatever BI wants it to be....maybe some historical facts, but also fictional ones. And talking about lore...this game needs some, badly.

Chernarus is a fictional place, which means that the lore can be whatever BI wants it to be...

True, but Duesenberg SSJs and a monster named "Squoogally-Boo" could also be in their lore... ie, some lore is more believable than others. For me M1 Garand is not at all believable, and it's not one Garand, it's dozens and hundreds of Garands, very few weapons are truly rare and mediocre weapons are never rare. As just about any weapon on the list will be commonly encountered it's my belief that they should only add weapons that are reasonable to commonly encounter.

Maybe this is kind of moot given some of the weapon list at this point but jerkit.gif

Edited by Gews

True, but Duesenberg SSJs and a monster named "Squoogally-Boo" could also be in their lore... ie, some lore is more believable than others. For me M1 Garand is not at all believable, and it's not one Garand, it's dozens and hundreds of Garands, very few weapons are truly rare and mediocre weapons are never rare. As just about any weapon on the list will be commonly encountered it's my belief that they should only add weapons that are reasonable to commonly encounter.

Maybe this is kind of moot given some of the weapon list at this point but jerkit.gif

Why not ? the M1 was one of the most important weapons in WW2.. also.. at that point in history the USA and Russia were allies, in fact.. isn't that hard to make a connection. But a monster call "Squoogally-Boo" will most definitely be  :P

I understand that millions of garands have been manufactured, of which Sprinfield Armory alone made over 3 million.

Even with that said its unlikely to see it in Eastern Europe but you know what ?

It's ok because the m1 garand would fit the aesthetics of the game just fine.

The rifle would also open the gates for more civilian hunting rifles in .30-06.

I will say one thing however.

I really hope they do justice to the guns rear sights. The rear pep sight is amazing for medium to long distance precision shots.

PC220062.jpg

RjSJe4K.jpg?1

I would prefer variety... i mean really who cares.. there would be a few people in russia with a m1 garand. I live in australia and I know people who own russian rifles.. I guess the main thing here is that it wont be rare on the loot table like it should.. maybe thats the main gripe here people arent voicing

I would prefer variety... i mean really who cares.. there would be a few people in russia with a m1 garand. I live in australia and I know people who own russian rifles.. I guess the main thing here is that it wont be rare on the loot table like it should.. maybe thats the main gripe here people arent voicing

Well even compared to the m14 the m1 garand was manufactured in much much much higher numbers so wouldn't it make more sense to find it over an m14 ?

I mean the m14 had a service life of what ? less than 5 years ? compared to the m1 garand produced in the millions while millions were also gifted to everyone from South Korea to Israel.

• Like 1

...does it really matter?

Correct me if I'm wrong but they've never said "only guns of Russian origin will be in this game" it's just a game it's not some chronicle of something that happened, if you were playing a serious WW2 game and a laser rifle cropped up then yes be mad about that but this game has no set rules or a story it's just in some Russian place, which isn't real and that's that.

Now if they add killstreaks and air strikes then it's a problem.

Maybe there was some gun club and they all ordered some WW2 era weapons, why not? There are people who re-enact historic battles from history with plastic swords and armour I don't think a gun club is so out of the question, or just a few gun nuts here and there. Just because it's Russia doesn't mean the people there couldn't like or buy American or otherwise guns.

I'd like to see some guns of British or German origin now, I mean why not just America and Russia mostly would be lame if you're gonna go for variety over what "makes sense" give us some from everywhere.

A Bren, De Lisle and/or Enfield would be cool.

• Like 1

A Bren, De Lisle and/or Enfield would be cool.

All those would be great but the De Lisle in particular would be fantastic due to its gameplay additions.

An internally suppressed bolt action carbine in .45 ACP talk about unique. It would fit a similar role that the VSS would fit.

De_Lisle_Rifle.jpg

I would imagine its pretty rare so the likelihood of finding it anywhere in the world to be slim.