karlkurtz32

Weather patterns in DayZ

Is there any rhyme or reason to the weather patterns in DayZ?  The last 8 servers I played on all had pouring rain.  I'm just curious if its a random thing or not.

I am convinced that Russia must be in a perpetual state of monsoon season if the game is to be believed. Seems like it is constantly raining. Sometimes with huge claps of thunder and heavy downpours, sometimes drizzles, but it is raining at least fifty percent of the time I play. My guess is it just cycles through weather off of a chart that says dry, drizzle, rain, thunderstorm.... so of course dry weather is only 1/4 of the total time on a server. Heh.Just a guess. I think it would be interesting if it sometimes managed dry spells where the creeks went dry  or sleet and snow so that things like those bulky jackets had a value.

• Like 1

I've had mostly sunny weather recently. Been enjoying it, really.

I'm soooo very tempted to make a reference here to the weather man phallic thing with the "afternoon t-storms" but I'm concerned about taking it too far and requiring some sort of moderation. That being said, I often feel like the weather is simply trying to kick me in the teeth. When I'm ready for stealth, it's sunny out. When I'm ready to see long distance and survey things, it's raining. I can't make heads or tails out of it, and every server seems to have different weather. As unpredictable as it is it keeps things fun.

Complaining about the weather... how much more real can this game get?    :lol:

• Like 8

It might be modelled on UK weather patterns, perpetual rain -> sun -> cloudy -> rain -> sun -> cloudy etc

You forgot the fog.

Well, global warming has even hit Chernarus. Deal with it.

Hmmm Rocket is from NZ not sure which part but maybe the weather is modeled after the south island cause well it rains a shit load down there ( there is nothing like forgeting you left your best pair of jeans on a cloths line in spring and it rains and you try taking them off the line and they snap because they have frozen...)

It really doesn't rain that much. What you are seeing is that due to time being on a 1:1 scale, when it is a rainy day that rainy day lasts a long time until server restart. It's also worth pointing out that there are frequent breaks in the rain that sometimes last a couple minutes but other times far longer. If you don't particularly like the rain you'll tend to notice it much more when it happens, each time it rains is a "hit" and you forget all the times you were playing on a beautiful sunny day. It's a sort of confirmation bias.

Edited by Ebrim

Yeah.....the rain really gets on my nerves. Unless we're in the Amazon jungle, it shouldn't be raining this much. 

You sir have clearly never been to the UK. :)

I've noticed on experimental that it is almost always raining. I just attributed this towards the new body temperature system where getting wet matters.

As far as stable is concerned, I can't really comment.

The weather I encounter in DayZ actually mirrors the realistic weather of autumn in my country. There are sunny days but there are also rainy days and sometimes they are a mixture of both.

Im pretty sure I saw somewhere that the weather will be synced with the real weather later on... but not 100% sure if it was a dev comment or not.