Sign in to follow this  
surf_polar

Unpinned grenades dont explode when not thrown?

While I was with a friend who had a deathwish (and waste all our equipment) because the wipe comes soon, we decided to kill each other on the rainy, depressing day it was in DayZ. I killed my friend with a mosin shot in the chest (with hilarious ragdoll effects) and then got judgemental on myself and offed myself with a greande.

But, when I pulled the pin on the grenade, I held it in my hands, sat down, nothing happened. Only when i decided to throw it at my feet it actually went off. Is that intended design? Its a bit unrealistic, eh?

You can see that in this video here (dont mind the video name, it was supposed to make fun of those retarded bandit "execution" videos).

I pull the pin on the grenade at 02:05

(oh and if someone wants the gear, if the server is still up, its called "Wir schiessen ihnen den Weg frei") - a bit east of kamenka, west of balota.

• Like 1

pulling the pin is like taking the saftey off a rifle, not like pulling the trigger.

Re the OP, and to those who don't realise.

When you pull the pin out of a grenade, you are like Hellcat said, removing the safety from the lever. Its the act of the lever being depressed/released that starts the detonator/fuse whatever.

• Like 1

pulling the pin is like taking the saftey off a rifle, not like pulling the trigger.

But how did the countless time I pulled the pin off a grenade and thrown it with it exploding after 4-5 seconds ingame count then? I am not a military buff, but what can be seen in the video seems silly to me.

But how did the countless time I pulled the pin off a grenade and thrown it with it exploding after 4-5 seconds ingame count then? I am not a military buff, but what can be seen in the video seems silly to me.

when you throw the grenade you no longer are holding the "spoon", which detaches and arms the grenades fuse. the pin is like the saftey that holds the spoon into place.

• Like 1

when you throw the grenade you no longer are holding the "spoon", which detaches and arms the grenades fuse. the pin is like the saftey that holds the spoon into place.

Hm, I didnt know that. This makes sense and you can label the OP as "retarded" then ;D Atleast I learned something new. Have my beans!

EDIT: But, isn't it a bit bad that grenades then cant be cooked?

Edited by surf_polar
  • Like 1

Hm, I didnt know that. This makes sense and you can label the OP as "retarded" then ;D Atleast I learned something new. Have my beans!

EDIT: But, isn't it a bit bad that grenades then cant be cooked?

ya they can be cooked. watch a decent ww2 movie. they show people cooking off grenades. they pull the pin, then let the spoon(that piece of metal you see flying off the grenade) go and hold the grenade for a few seconds before throwing it. that is for typical murican type grenades tho, grenades like stick grenades work a little differently.

Edited by hellcat420
  • Like 2

I realize that, I meant its bad it cant be done ingame like in other games :)

ya well, you cant have everything be completely realistic in a video game.

ya they can be cooked. watch a decent ww2 movie. they show people cooking off grenades. they pull the pin, then let the spoon(that piece of metal you see flying off the grenade) go and hold the grenade for a few seconds before throwing it. that is for typical murican type grenades tho, grenades like stick grenades work a little differently.

I wouldn't dare cook off a grenade. They have short enough fuses as it is.

Pulling the pin is like taking the safety off.  You still need to release the spool to actually start the detonation.  It would be cool if you could hold it a bit to shorten the time after you thrown it until it explodes but you would still have to release it either way.

• Like 1

Yeah Heav is right.

Do not under any circumstances try to cook off a live grenade. The fuses are short and they are NOT all the same.

Edited by Rauchsauger

In army I was teached that the fuse time is only 2s and not 5s like in games. Likely just because nobody wouldn't dare to cook the grenade. It's really a gamble like people said earlier.

Edited by St. Jimmy

I learned it is 3 to 6 seconds, but it is definitely stupid to wait before throwing. If you ever have a chance to throw a real grenade, do it. And take cover. I miss those times.

When you are holding a grenade with the pin pulled, if you are killed you should automatically throw/drop the grenade

this would change bandit holdup tactics, I guess ?

When you are holding a grenade with the pin pulled, if you are killed you should automatically throw/drop the grenade

this would change bandit holdup tactics, I guess ?

I fully expect them to implement this.

• Like 1

IRL no one cooks a grenade, knowing that the company that has the contract to supply them is most probably the lowest bidder is enough to stop most people doing that, there have been exceptions to that rule IRL but mainly by Hollywood and armchair warriors that have a computer controlling the fuse

Edited by SlimPikins69

In the United States Army, we practiced cooking off our grenades in basic training.  We did this in simulation of assaulting bunker-style defenses.  This was in 2000.