Chaingunfighter

AKS-74U confirmed... could this mean...? no...

What do you want  

71 members have voted

1. 1. What should,in your opinion, the developers add?

• The AKS-74U
    • The AKMSU
    • The Zastava M85
    • AKS-74U and AKMSU
    • AKS-74U and Zastava M85
    • AKMSU and Zastava M85
    • All three - Variety is key (Haha, bonus because it rhymes)
    • I'm not really affected by which they choose, I'm just glad they're adding one
    • I didn't want them to add any of these! Why would they even consider them, those vile, satanic developers!

Apparently the AKS-74U was confirmed as of this week's new devblog, and I'm honestly super excited, it's one of my favorite weapons and an absolute great choice for a carbine-length AK rifle.

However, the wording of "AKS-74U" begs the question... will the gun be an actual 5.45x39mm AKS-74U? Now, it's not a complete guarantee, because there's a 7.62x39mm variant of the AKS-74U called the "AKMSU", and then there are plenty of other similar ones, like Zastavas and whatnot, that also have 7.62x39mm and even 5.56x45mm options. (that's also not mentioning that they don't have to use a real caliber).

Here's a 5.45x39mm AKS-74U:

400px-AKSU-Krinkov.jpg

Compared to a 7.62x39mm AKMSU:

450px-AK-Krinkov.jpg

Compared to a 5.56x45mm Zastava M85:

400px-M85_5_12.jpg

Not a whole load of difference, right? (Granted, the M85 is fairly different from the first two, but it's still quite similar)

I'm not going to argue on the merits of adding 5.45x39mm (which I personally want, in order to allow better balancing of ARs and rifles, in addition to providing a round with (rather) unique ballistic characteristics. However, I do NOT care for the realism aspect, not at least on it's own.)

So, what does the community think/want. Would you prefer the AKS-74U, AKMSU, Zastava M85, all three, a combination of two, do you just not care, or what?

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 4

We already have the 101, m4 in 5.56 and the akm, sks, cz527 in 7.62x39, I think it's about time we put in a new caliber. 

make the 101 a 74 in 5.45, and then put the aks74u in.

and then add in any of the many western weapons which fire 5.56.

if not, I reckon the zastava m92 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_M92) or zastava m85 would be the best choice.  

• Like 1

Sorry to nitpick, but the second picture isn't actually an AKMSU. The AKMSU has a unique thumbhole foregrip and a Pakistani muzzle break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKMSU

However, I'd love to be able to combine various Kalashnikov (including the gas systems, etc) to create unique weapons such as the AKMSU.

We don't need more clone weapons with near-identical performance. Rather we need weapons to fill important niches, and endgame weapons so people have rare things to scavenge for.

• Like 5

Sorry to nitpick, but the second picture isn't actually an AKMSU. The AKMSU has a unique thumbhole foregrip and a Pakistani muzzle break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AKMSU

However, I'd love to be able to combine various Kalashnikov (including the gas systems, etc) to create unique weapons such as the AKMSU.

The picture is of an actual AKMSU, there was no real "standard" AKMSU production. Most of the ones in existence today are just AKMS receivers thrown into AKS-74U body kits, including the one I've shown, which is actually quite a popular blank-firing movie prop.

The ones mentioned on Wikipedia were just the ones used during the Soviet-Afghanistan War, and were fairly improvised, but either way, both look similar, so it wouldn't make a huge difference.

We already have the 101, m4 in 5.56 and the akm, sks, cz527 in 7.62x39, I think it's about time we put in a new caliber. 

make the 101 a 74 in 5.45, and then put the aks74u in.

and then add in any of the many western weapons which fire 5.56.

if not, I reckon the zastava m92 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_M92) or zastava m85 would be the best choice.  

If they're going to add an AK-74 or AK-74M, it shouldn't be at the cost of the AK-101. At this point, why not just have both?

We don't need more clone weapons with near-identical performance. Rather we need weapons to fill important niches, and endgame weapons so people have rare things to scavenge for.

I wouldn't say the AKS-74U is near-identical to the AKM, AK101, or M4A1, which are the other select-fire rifles ingame. It's a carbine length rifle, so clearly you're going to get significantly less range than the other three, but it's also got a full-powered round which gives it a great boost for CQB and medium ranged encounters.

Granted, it's not anything super special, but I wouldn't say it's near-identical. The only gun that I'd say is absolutely necessary for now is a pump-action shotgun, the MP-133 which is getting animations right this moment, and a dedicated sniper platform, the SVD that's already confirmed. Otherwise, we've got a fairly decent regular weapons set, and the devs could honestly stop making weapons there and have one that's good enough.

Endgame weapons like MGs, long-ranged sniper platforms, RPGs/directed explosive weapons, and whatnot have their place, but the devs aren't adding them until the central loot economy works, so it's not worth considering right now. That's why the SVD hasn't been added yet, because it's probably going to be on the rarer end of the spectrum.

I want a PKM and M249 as much as anyone, but I think we can wait, so that we're not seeing them everywhere.

why not the styr aug

Because it has nothing to do with the AK series, at all.

Plus, it's just another 5.56x45mm AR, which we already have two of, so it's rather low priority at this point.

I'd like to see the 5.56 version, just because that's the kind of area a carbine type weapon should fill in DayZ IMO.

I've honestly never been too fussed about the absolute accuracy of each weapon and round type. Its just words on the texture of the box, or length of the cartridge model, and numbers in the round description. What I care about is the purpose that weapon serves, how it performs in the game compared to other weapons and why it needs to be in the game. They could add every variation of the AK platform from the original stamped 47 to the modern railed variants with every single one needing the exact correct ammunition and I'd be cool with it.

They could also pick and choose each one that serves a specific purpose and approximate the rounds where it makes sense (the 39 rounding up to the 45 really doesn't bother me). Its just an I/O that tells the game to shoot while there is still data in the magazine. You could feed a Glock23 with .22LR and the gun could still act like an M2 Browning with zero bullet drop that explodes kittens everywhere on impact (which sounds awesome and you know it.)

If they're going to add an AK-74 or AK-74M, it shouldn't be at the cost of the AK-101. At this point, why not just have both?

I just reckon as the 101 and the 74m are nearly identical they should have one or the other. There's just little variety in having two of the exact same models achieving almost identical performance and then calling them two guns. 

+ if the change the 101 to 74, they can bring in another 5.56 ar, maybe a steyr aug. Not that the 101 is preventing them from bringing in new 5.56 ARs, just it would feel more balanced. 

I'd like to see the 5.56 version, just because that's the kind of area a carbine type weapon should fill in DayZ IMO.

if it's gonna be 5.56 they better be calling it the zastava m85. I don't see why 5.56 would be more appropriate than 7.62x39 though. 

I just reckon as the 101 and the 74m are nearly identical they should have one or the other. There's just little variety in having two of the exact same models achieving almost identical performance and then calling them two guns. 

+ if the change the 101 to 74, they can bring in another 5.56 ar, maybe a steyr aug. Not that the 101 is preventing them from bringing in new 5.56 ARs, just it would feel more balanced. 

if it's gonna be 5.56 they better be calling it the zastava m85. I don't see why 5.56 would be more appropriate than 7.62x39 though. 

Meh, or they could do a regular AK-74. Either way, it's already ingame, so if they want to do another one I don't see why we should decrease the overall variety, even if it is minor.

And I don't think there's any limits on how many of each type of firearm they're allowed to have balance-wise, plus I like to see the AK-101 as the "Western ammunition gun that uses eastern parts", to give a bit more versatility.

It should be in 5.45x39. And they should clone AK 101 into AK 74 (paint furniture and mags orange). And we need some sort of holo sight for AKs. There, easy job and we get 2 new weapons. 
And I think its time for new NATO gun. M16, HK G36, L85 or maybe even FAL. There should be at least one new weapon of each clas every month. This is ALPHA, phase of development where you push as much content as you can. If you don't like more weapons, stick to your Mosin. After all, we can only carry two weapons at same time. Not 4 like in mod.

Edited by igor-vk

i want the AKS-74U so i can do some cosplay in dayz xD

180px-Gurlukovich_mercenary.jpg

Ttsko uniform + tanker helmet + AKS74U+ upcoming balaclava (hopefully i can put the tanker helmet on top of it) = Gurlukovich merc from Metal Gear Solid 2 (or as close to it as i can get)

Edited by Sniper-Wolf

Not for nothing, but there's already a thread on this. Which was unfortunately titled in such a way that made it seem like it wasn't about this very topic (because it is about a personal attachment to an argument, rather than the argument itself).

Anywho...

I wouldn't mind any of the above.

If they were to add 5.45x39 as well as an AKS-74U that would be lovely!

If they were to add a 5.56 SBR AK variant, that would be cool too!

If they were to add a 7.62x39 SBR AK variant, that would be just as cool!

I guess I might prefer the 7.62x39 SBR AK over a 5.56 SBR AK. Obviously, I'd rather they have an AKS-74U in 5.45x39 (as adding 5.45x39 would add an extra layer with which to balance ammunition rarity). But, given that I feel that's the least likely scenario, I'd go with a 7.62x39 SBR AK due to how problematic/divisive the prospect of another AK chambered in 5.56x45 is.

If they were to add 5.45x39 though, I'd want them to dump the AK-101, re-chamber it in 5.45, and then re-name it accordingly. No sense in then having an AK-101 and an AK-74M. And it's not like there's any shortage of distinct 5.56x45 weapons to take its place.

And yes, after they knock out all the requisite AK archetypes left over (i.e. a SBR AK and an HBAR AK), I think Warsaw Pact stuff needs to go on the backburner for a while (save for the SVD which is ostensibly finished already, and perhaps a PKM/RPD). Hopefully a battle rifle (like an M14, FAL, G3, or AR-10) is on the 1.0 weapons list.

Edited by Katana67

Honestly after this aks74u I really hope we move onto some other weapons , I get the whole "true to the area vibe" but I don't wanna see more than 3 identical weapons (identical to the common eye) especially if they are going to make them use all the same ammo just for loot tables sake .. Id rather be seeing variants of 5.45/5.56 weapons as there are so many that don't look exactly alike .. One weapon I would love to see is fn-fal my favorite carbine of all time :) no optics or anything just bare iron sight one shot ftw.

i want the AKS-74U so i can do some cosplay in dayz xD

180px-Gurlukovich_mercenary.jpg

Ttsko uniform + tanker helmet + AKS74U+ upcoming balaclava (hopefully i can put the tanker helmet on top of it) = Gurlukovich merc from Metal Gear Solid 2 (or as close to it as i can get)

And then the sun comes out and you cook to death in 5 minutes.

You do know the M4A1 is a carbine?

Perhaps the inclusion of an SBR AK will also prompt them to add some kind of CQC optic(s) for the AK-pattern weapons.

Kobra would be neat, hopefully sans sunshade. PK01-Vi would be preferable, because it looks less... for lack of a better word... dumb. I can't stand the wonky look of most Warsaw Pact optics.

But of course, if they were ever able to add some kind of rail mount for the AK platform stuff (which I'm not necessarily in favor of) then it'd open things up to the 1913-compatible optics we've got now.

Edited by Katana67

Voted for all 3 of them, why not.

Not that I expect devs to add that many variants at this time, but why not later.

I also would love to have Sa vz.58 as well. Yes, it is not 100% different than AKM, but so what?

Internaly it is different weapon, with wooden buttstock it kinda looks different, has different sound.

Maybe they could introduce the model allowing for ACOG mounting and since it has different mag than AKM, it could be rarer weapon than AKM/AK74, but still of eastern provenience.

Btw anybody excited to see the list of weapons, that devs supposedly finished recently?

I imagine it will bring some people to tears, but it's better to know what's coming than not, right?

And then the sun comes out and you cook to death in 5 minutes.

Seems to be fall in Chernarus, so he'd actually be nice warm.

Voted for all 3 of them, why not.

Not that I expect devs to add that many variants at this time, but why not later.

I also would love to have Sa vz.58 as well. Yes, it is not 100% different than AKM, but so what?

Internaly it is different weapon, with wooden buttstock it kinda looks different, has different sound.

Maybe they could introduce the model allowing for ACOG mounting and since it has different mag than AKM, it could be rarer weapon than AKM/AK74, but still of eastern provenience.

Btw anybody excited to see the list of weapons, that devs supposedly finished recently?

I imagine it will bring some people to tears, but it's better to know what's coming than not, right?

correct me if wrong but Vz 58 accessories do not work with AKM accessories right ?

If that is true they can add the vz 58 as the low tech non adjustable version of the akm and resort to having the AKM be the high end 7.62x39 variant ak that has lots of accessories and modularity.

I think the Sa. vz. 58 compact would have been a cool choice for an AKS-74U analog.

800px-SA_vz.58_Compact_7.62x39mm.jpg

Looks different enough to me, plus is available in 5.56x45, so there's a bit of wiggle room.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

Because it has nothing to do with the AK series, at all.

Plus, it's just another 5.56x45mm AR, which we already have two of, so it's rather low priority at this point.

False, it's not just another AR...It's a CQC specific Bullpup SBR.