shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

Day 2 on the new private server. I only met friendlies yesterday, but i have a feeling today will be different.

Logged in at Svetlojarsk, waiting for my friend to come online so we could head to Berezino and locate some bandits that harrased him the day before.

First things first : Im not happy about my whool coat, and i need some new clothes.

I immediatly find what i was looking for ! A pristine Biker Jacket !!! One of my favorite civilian outfits. I also pick up a pink baseball cap, just to look a bit more friendly. I also change up the SKS for a Mosin, since i have all the possible attachments and plenty of 7.62 already. Next house has a green raincoat in it, so now i am set! As i leave the house from the back, i see a guy with a Mosin running in the streets. I back off and try to locate him trough my scope from the Southern Hill, but he is nowhere to be found. Suddenly a Z spawns right next to me, and gets a hit on me ! My brand new biker vest is already ruined. Its been a while since a Z pissed me off like that ! Now i need a new coat so i head back into town and enter the small hospital.

Suddenly i see the guy staring trough the window. I got careless and caught with my pants down. My Mosin is on my back and i got a pipsi in my hands. But he doesnt shoot ! Instead we make contact, and have a little chat. We proceed to loot side by side, but i lose track of him. I head towards the gas station in the west, when another Z spawns right ontop of me and gets a hit in. Now my raincoat is ruined as wel !

At that moment my friend logs in, and i head towards the easts side of the train station. Suddenly a Mosin shot goes off right next to me. I am beeing way too careless ! I zigzag for cover as more shots rain in. Has my new friend decided to kill me after all? I meet up with my buddy, and we decide to smoke him out. Suddenly, all hell breaks loose. SOmebody actually threw a grenade at me ?! First time i see this. Anyway it missed, and we hear more fire incoming from the train tracks. I decide to head to high ground and cover my friend, as he makes his way towards the target with a magnum. I spot the target, but cant make the shot, and he gets a shot at my buddy as he runs in the open, but misses again. Playing public with the AK 101 has not helped my aim. Then a zombie attacks him. He is completely suprised and slips up ! My friend knocks him out with a magnum shot, and finnishes the job with a hammer. Now we both have Mosins...

I dont know why the guy suddenly turned on me. Or where that grenade came from. But it was good fun. I had to log off because i had to go after that. I wonder what tomorrow will bring. First things first : i need some new clothes :)

Edited by nillie

Funny that you guys have been talking about cooking - I just cooked my first food last night.

In case you don't want to know how it works I'll put this bit in spolier so you can find out for yourselves :-)

From reading up on it I was worried that it would take a long time and be overly difficult to tell when the food was cooked enough but not burnt. But it's actually really, really easy - and quick.

I put down my fire kit and added the stack of 4 sticks, put my matches in my hand and used the "ignite" action - starting a fire has never been so easy! There are 5 slots below the fire but I could only add meat (deer and boar, yummy!) To 2 of them - the 2nd and either 3rd or 4th, I forget exactly which and I guess it doesn't mayter. I watched it for ages because I had heard that it burns quicker or more easily if you are not watching it. Nothing happened. I got nervous and looked around myself and when I looked back the first steak had moved slots in the fire, into the first position, and was black and burned. Oops. Then, a few seconds after that the second steak also jumped slots and was a darker brown colour.  Aha, cooked to perfection!  This has only really taken a few minutes.

After this, I tried again and for some unknown reason i was now able to add 3 steaks at a time, rather than 2. I kept an eye on them and realised how it works - as the steak changes from raw to cooked the colour goes darker, the actual description changes (from raw to cooked) and it jumps slots - I guess because it is, in theory, really a different item in the game's mind.  So it's very easy to tell when a steak is cooked and ready to eat - look for the colour, the actual description and, more easily, has it jumped slots?  

However, if you leave a cooked steak in the fire for even a fairly short time, it quickly turns to burnt.  But looking away from the fire doesn't affect the process at all - it just means you are more likely to miss the short time where the steak is in the cooked status.

I'm really happy to have got the hang of this now - I feel way more confident about my ability to live off the land.

Here is a screenshot that might help:

image001_zpsorte219k.png

So, in addition to learning how to cook, me and my friend sprig found a truck as we were looting our way to the NWAF on a low pop, persistence off, private server.  We jumped in and started rolling through the countryside and towns, stopping occasionaly to loot the odd building or junkyard before approaching the airfield.  I guess we weren't too fussed about meeting other players because we decided to simply drive down the runway!  However, as we entered the airfield I checked the player list to see that 3 players had just dropped leaving only 2 people other than ourselves.  No matter!  sprig gunned the truck's mighty engine and we picked up speed as we started down the runway.

And then the engine stopped.

"Out of fuel?" I ask, to which sprig says "No, I turned off the engine.  Oh, no wait a minute, yes, we're out of fuel"  Epic runway drive denied :-(

Looted the airfield and military tents, didn't find much, hid in the forest whilst the server reset.  I went back on 10 minutes later to find I was the only person on the server and I looted a metric ton of ammo for my SKS, some bits sprig wanted, and then hit the jackpot in a barracks when I found my first ever AK-74 - but no mag of course ;-)

Happy DayZ :-)

Edited by krazypenguin

mate, your idea of entertainment is borderline pyscho, lets hope you only listen to the voices when in the game hey

Not going to disagree, but that makes a significant portion of DayZ players psychos as well. You can call fox news and I'm sure they will side with you as well, then put out another piece that slams video game violence because aparently I'm a pink dress serial killer IRL.

But yea, it was HILARIOUS!

Your offer is extremely generous but I'm afraid we wouldn't be much entertainment. With that said if you had the inclination to get a public character up to Berezino I'd never refuse the company if we can get the times worked out. I'm not sure if you use TS3 or not but I do run a server for some other games and if we decide to meet up I'll send you the info. 

I don't know why you say that, your stories are very much entertaining. Let's agree I'll just let you know when I gear up and sort other things to do. Seems my character would need to partake in woodsman research, there was also one other guy I promised to bring food. We stay in touch. We probably play on different servers now, as I stick to EU low-ping servers. Pity, it would be fun to know that somewhere in the outskirts of Berezino, the Tijuana of Chernarus, there's a friendly sniper on overwatch, protecting a kid The Road-style. Keep it up! :) One day I'll crash with fresh meat, you don't need to eat cans all the time.

What does scare me a bit is that some of the stuff I'm reading about people doing to others is downright psychotic and I don't want him seeing that kind of stuff. He's always been a zombie hunter and he really enjoys it- but this game has taken a really dark avenue away from the Left 4 Dead series that we've played together in the past. That's my issue and nobody is forcing him to play- but it is definitely one major reason why I want to keep on trying to be a good guy and pulling the trigger on someone only if it's the difference between us or another innocent freshie / player being murdered and having that kind of atrocity committed. 

One more thing - I know what's going on in Chernarus and sometimes fuss about it, sometimes accept it as a part of the danger. I've never thought about kids before, though. I remember once I read a story by a girl who was mock-raped by a group of bandits in dayz and was genuinely upset about it... Which I can fully understand, virtual environment can create completely real emotions within us. I just hope the game becomes harder with all those infections and what not which will drive CoD kids away, while the psychos who stay will stay in reasonable numbers while still providing variety and sense of dread.

I don't know why you say that, your stories are very much entertaining. Let's agree I'll just let you know when I gear up and sort other things to do. Seems my character would need to partake in woodsman research, there was also one other guy I promised to bring food. We stay in touch. We probably play on different servers now, as I stick to EU low-ping servers. Pity, it would be fun to know that somewhere in the outskirts of Berezino, the Tijuana of Chernarus, there's a friendly sniper on overwatch, protecting a kid The Road-style. Keep it up! :) One day I'll crash with fresh meat, you don't need to eat cans all the time.

That's definitely something we can agree on! I'll pass on my steam name to you and see where it goes from there. I have a clan associated with another game and we're expanding our gaming pursuits a bit to include other games and of course DayZ is one of them. Not sure if any will come over but a group is definitely more powerful than the sum of its members- that's for sure. 

ZH210 spawned in a bit after I did last night. He was still up in Black Mountain from the other night and I was still near Berezino from the night before. The zombies I'd had staked out around me acting as early warning devices were gone or moved or respawned elsewhere. This was a bit of a relief to me since I've been known to spawn in only to find that I'm being mauled already. This has evidently happened to a few of us... Not sure at what point your character is visible in game during the respawn process- whether it's when the "please wait" happens or the "respawning in 59 seconds." 

I was a little apprehensive about sending ZH210 off on his own to find his way down to Berezino especially with the current state of the compass. "Okay, use the compass and make it so it's pointing between the S and the E. But first- check which way the lower clouds are going and also the time of day. Imagine an upside down U in the sky (all things I recently learned from pilgrim!) and place the sun appropriately to the SE or SW as necessary given the time in the server... Now take a mental snapshot of where your shadow is on the ground in relation to you and keep it there as you..." No- not quite going to happen so there was a bit of trust and lots of communication. He did quite well actually and it's a good thing since getting lost and trying to have someone else figure out where you are is... erm... difficult. 

I had the map open on the ipad beside me so as he was moving he gave me a description of what he was seeing and I did my best to match that up with the map. We had our radar on for matches and though he found what sounded like enough burlap sacs to make another full ghillie suit he found no matches in his travels to the south. I met up with him south of Dubrovka and while near the road decided it might be a good time for us to look for stones. It didn't give us the option near the road so we gave up on that idea and went to loot a

It's easier when I'm sitting beside him and can see his screen since I can recognize certain areas and if needed I can just step over to his setup and help him confirm his directions. I can also walk him through comparing what he's seeing with the map. I think he's getting the hang of it but he hasn't quite made the connection between the map and the game environment yet. There was a small house just down the road from us so we went there in search of matches. Nothing- but while we were there I saw some rocky ground and was able to search for stones. It took me 3 or 4 tries but I did find one and was then able to hit F to "craft improvised knife." Sweet! ZH did the same. I tested the knife on some canned food and it barely spilled anything- so it's at least as good as a screwdriver / knife. It really is an awesome tool since it gives you the ability to craft so many different items and only takes one slot. 

From there we made our way back up to Dubrovka since he bypassed most of it on his way down to me. I noticed I'd actually started to register "hot" in the inventory menu for the first time and had a lazy eye on that. I knew I was going to need to find a body of water soon since my gorka outfit wasn't allowing me to get soaked in the intermittent rain.

On our way we saw a deer out in the field so I figured I'd take a shot at it and that turned into 4 shots. Some sniper eh? Without a rangefinder it was very difficult to get a decent shot without determining ranges on the map. ZH skinned / quartered it with the improvised knife and stashed the meat. It was funny to hear him rile at the discovery of "a pile of guts" and it took me a bit of time to explain how it could be used as a rope substitute. 

We moved from one side of town to the other and I told ZH to go search the buildings he was facing while I was going to go to the ones behind him. He agreed and we went about our business. He was calling out everything he saw which was good and gave me some confidence that he was starting to catch on to "hidden" or hard to see loot as well as the larger obvious things. 

I came out of one of the houses I was searching and immediately caught movement to my left. ZH was on my right working through houses down the hill a bit further. No zombie gurgles and this figure had a drybag on. It was the shortest glimpse- but it was a person and right now people are threats, not targets. 

"Standby standby! We have someone over here. Get some cover and hold." 

"Okay. Where are you?" 

"I just came out of a house by a bus stop shelter." 

"Are they friendly?"

"I can't tell- I can't hail them (mic on laptop broken)... and you're too far away." 

I ducked down behind the bus shelter and tried to use 3PP to ID the player on the other side. I couldn't see him since apparently we'd seen each other and they'd sought some cover as well. I waited to be hailed over the direct chat in text or voice but nothing came. "I don't want to take my hands off my controls right now so I can't type. I'll cover you if you can get up here and try calling them on voice." 

"Okay- I'm going to the bus shelter." I scanned for movement as ZH made his way towards me. 

"Stop! This guy is moving towards me!"  Yup. And this is how friendly fire happens. "Oh man! What are you doing up here!? I thought you were down there checking houses?" 

"I was but there was nothing down there so I came up here." 

"You have to tell me when you move like that."

"Sorry." 

I'd almost shot him- AGAIN!

Went through every building in Dubrovka and couldn't find matches... Kind of surprised you can't just rub sticks together to start a fire. Maybe it's coming? 

We only had an hour last night before "mum" was reminding him that he only had 5 more minutes so we completed in Dubrovka, killed a couple zeds and made our way to the woods. He told me he found a small pond so I went face down in that and disappeared under the water. "Can you see me right now?" He said he couldn't. 

Hmmm. 

What happens if you stay under water? 

I haven't had a chance to test it yet and I'm not going to with this character- but suffice to say my curiosity is aroused. Anyone?

I haven't had a chance to test it yet and I'm not going to with this character- but suffice to say my curiosity is aroused. Anyone?

I'm quite sure I've heard that now you can drown. I haven't tested it, though. And even without the fear of drowning, you don't want to swim, lie down or in general spend too much time in too deep water - you can lose all your stuff, including the backpack and primary gun. Once I slipped and fell into the sea (because dayz) and was forced to swim for some time due to those concrete banks you can't drag yourself on. Over a couple of minutes I lost all my 'external' stuff and ruined clothes and their contents. A friend of mine lost his backpack in a small pond near Novo.

If you want to cool down, quickly take off all your stuff apart from the axe or gloves and lie down for a moment close to the shore. Do it fast especially when you don't know when the server restarts. ;) Sometimes I just take off my gorka for a short while and often it's enough to lose the 'hot' status.

Went to Cherno. Got shot at within 30 seconds. Left Cherno.

How low can you sink? Last time I played I met up with a swedish guy, We partnered up and ran aroudn for a while. Unfortunately he killed a Bmabi for no reason so i got a bit cross with him but we continued playing. After a bit we decided to quit and said our goodnights and stuff. Today when i logged in with my character he was naked and cuffed in the middle of the NE airfield. Needless to say i died minutes later. Why would anyone do that? He already knew what gear I had and there was nothing he needed as we had already traded. A-hole.

I think some of us need to meet up and go about things rightly. Getting sick of watching hero stories on YouTube from 8 months ago...

Got TS3 server if you guys run it. Maybe it's time to put something together.

Last night was mostly booring.There was a "find the admin" event going on in the private server, and it was raining like hell, so the city streets where empty. I finaly left svetlojarsk and was able to pick up a Gorka jacket along the way, so i could run freely in the rain. I met up with my buddy and headed over to Berezino. We stopped at Rify boat along the way. As we where checking out the boat,  saw a fresh spawn come running trough the rain and in to the ship. We waited for him on the deck.

He asked for our help nicely, so i gave him my spare hunter pants and raincoat, some peaches, a can opener and some matches. He was thankfull, and we left him at the boat. Afterwards i felt kinda guilty that we didnt let him tag along. I could have spared him some trouble and get a fire going for him or something...

Anyway, Berezino was devoid of all life. Did a basic loot run, headed over to the sniperloot building, got attacked by a 8 or 9 zombies at the same time ( so much more fun than chopping down one Infected at a time).

Logged my public character,  because my buddy had to go. I did a military run to search for a PSO-1 scope, but found only trouble. I managed to survive tho...

Edited by nillie

Started a fresh character last night on 1pp server after 6 month hiatus, to see how things are progressing.

- Started on a 6/50 (I think) pop. server - Wanted to give myself a bit of a chance and hopefully get to grips with some of the newer mechanics.

- Spawned inland & ran around lost for hours. Immediately sought out food & drink which was by-and-large in plentiful supply.

- My sledgehammer has been my best friend for most of the day; very little luck when it comes to weapons so far. Plenty of ammo though.

- Endless entertainment with the thought of opening a can of beans with a sledgehammer.

- Eventually found a gun - a Mosin - about 3 hours in. This defiantly helps... Seem to have run in to my fair share of zombies so far. No humans though.

- Found the castle, tried to use this to head towards NW Airfield. An hour later I'm on the coast... the fuq? (Trying not to use any outside 'interference' to get the most out of not knowing what I'm doing).

- Headed towards Elektro hidden in the tree-line. It's here where I discover the shift-key-sprint feature.

- First encounter! Where else... Inside one of the fire stations in Elektro. I was attacked by 2 zombies and bled. To get shelter I duck inside only to hear another zombie on its way... Following some bloke with a gun. He wasn't very friendly, shooting first (hit me twice with an automatic) but ran off when I managed to get a shot off hitting him square in the chest, still chased by the zombie.

- All my sh*t is ruined, minus my weapons. Bleeding, grey-screen, thirsty, cold... Suicide run through the buildings of Elektro to gather what I can. (By this stage pop has risen to 20~ something).

- Manage to stabilise myself but back to square one - no clothing (all ruined), no food or drink (found meager scraps but still 'hungry' & 'thirsty'), no first aid - used a t-shirt to stop my bleeding, my first-aid kit was ruined. 2 bullets for Mosin, but on the plus side I did find a pistol & mag. just before I logged.

Kinda enjoying this feeling of being 'new' again. A lot of things have changed/been added, most notably (for me, anyway) the cold/damp mechanic. Things feel a little slicker (i.e. Melee combat, while not great, seems less random) and loot is less predictable.

I did get frozen out a couple of times, both times when I tried to throw a flare - is this a known bug or could it be on my end? Literally just the action of throwing a lit flare caused me to root to the spot. I could still interact with things, just not move - and I could light a flare and drop it just fine, or throw other objects just fine with no problem (other than having no idea where it landed).

Tomorrow: To Cherno!

I think some of us need to meet up and go about things rightly. Getting sick of watching hero stories on YouTube from 8 months ago...

Got TS3 server if you guys run it. Maybe it's time to put something together.

We can stay in touch, however it's not gonna be easy to play together or something, each other's ping would kill us (I'm in the EU), not to mention the time zones. I need to stop playing for a while, my real life is calling and as I'm a freelancer, it's only me who can whip me back to work. I'll be back probably for .53. Take care there! :)

i had a pretty good session last night. i spawned as a fresh spawn and feeling a bit bold i took the risky route towards vybor military base, hitting up elektro, dubky and 3 more towns between there and vybor. in about 3 hours i got geared up, nothing special but more than enough to get around. loot was a bit scarse but i ended up with some basic survival gear, a long range scope, hunting backpack, high capacity vest and a derringer + shotgun with about 30 shells. most of the good stuff i found in the military base tho, until then i relied solely on my trusty axe despite having found several rifles along the way, i just wasn't very lucky with ammo this time. special thanks to ENO and kirov for pointing out that you can use sticks as firewood instead of logs, you guys saved my ass from a freezing death last night

some of the highlights and interesting encounters

- i was looting a piano house on the outskirts of a town when suddenly there was a player standing in the doorway with an AK. i ran out of his line of sight and saw another player running past the other side door. they saw me but didn't make contact and had their guns out so i assume they didn't have good intentions. i was still wielding a crowbar so i took my chances and ran straight out the front door and went prone behind a small stone wall across the road, luck was on my side this time as they didn't spot me. the next 10 minutes i observed 3 well geared players searching the house and the area around it until they finally continued their journey

- while following a tree line heading north from dubky i spotted someone following me from a distance, i kept running to get some distance and thought i lost him but i needed something to drink badly so i stopped to refill my water bottle at the first well i came across, and sure enough while i was doing so bullets started flying in my direction. still unarmed i kept running north and while he lost sight of me i threw a flare towards the other side of the road and i ran in the opposite direction and took cover under a pine tree. this payed off, the guy went towards the flare giving me some time to get away

- at the end of my gaming session weirdness happened. i admit i was less than sober by the time i reached the military base and i checked the surroundings very well before moving in, all the doors were closed. after hitting up the first barracks i walked around some buildings and spotted a barrack with an open door. pretty sure that was closed before, so i went into a total state of paranoia, spent some time sneaking around from cover to cover with my heart racing and pretty much jumped at every sound. turns out i got dissoriented and it was actually just the barrack i looted just before and i left the door open. after looting the other buildings and finding the shotgun and high capacity vest i ran a short distance from the base and logged off inside a bush, still laughing at my little screw-up

i think i'll do some hunting tonight and head back to the shore to pass around free food for newspawns. probably won't be long until i die but whatever

Edited by Belphegor

We can stay in touch, however it's not gonna be easy to play together or something, each other's ping would kill us (I'm in the EU), not to mention the time zones. I need to stop playing for a while, my real life is calling and as I'm a freelancer, it's only me who can whip me back to work. I'll be back probably for .53. Take care there! :)

I hear ya... we have a couple members in a clan from another game over in south africa and the UK as well and you're right- it is tough to get it together unless someone's playing at weird hours. I suppose that was more just out in the open in hopes that a few other like-minded people from similar time zones might be able to make something work out for them. 

i think i'll do some hunting tonight and head back to the shore to pass around free food for newspawns. probably won't be long until i die but whatever

You know, I think it'd be fun to jump on a private shard and do this. Hunt some game or do some fishing and just set up camp near the coast (probably further north) and just hand out food...

Edited by ENO75

Okay! So as I mentioned in the post just above this one I did end up joining a medium size private shard and headed over to my public stomping ground around Berezino. No tech gear, just a few basics and some deep pockets for supplies. 

I don't have a lot of experiences to share so far. I knew of a well close to the beach and it just so happened it had a greenhouse right beside it as well so I figured that would be a great place to start. I know that you can dig a garden anywhere- but I also figured that people looking on a map for water would be drawn to my little outpost. I'm going to call it "Chez Eno." I do have some self defense weapons tucked away behind the "cash register," which won't ensure my safety but will give me a fighting chance against the miscreants. 

I found a hoe and dug up the ground in the greenhouse first, then went to look for other supplies. In particular I needed seeds and if I found some fertilizer / bag of lime then I'd use that. I was hoping to use the plant material to enrich the soil but that doesn't appear to be working yet. I managed to find some tomato seeds and some fertilizer bags which I carried over to my outpost. I also constructed a fish trap but didn't learn until after I stepped out that you need to put worms in it as bait. You can do this by turning over the ground with the hoe and searching for worms in that space. I'll reset it later. My hope is that I'll find a few bottles out there to convert to traps so I can just set them out and have plenty of fish to cook for anyone who stops in. 

I've also started collecting some basic weapons so if we get some freshies in I'll be able to get the kitted out to head into the world. I also went out to craft a bow and some arrows. I needed to cut down a tree and found the ashwood stick- then used my existing rope to craft the bow. For the arrows as you know you need to find a chicken coup and sharpen some sticks (using the improvised knife- that thing is a godsend!) Then you can load your arrows into the bow- they are loaded one at a time so don't worry about combining them! 

I went out for some meat and found a bunch of cattle SW of Berezino near the crane construction site. Took a few tries to figure out distances on the bow and arrow- and at some point in the transaction I dropped the bow (already had two weapons) and was forced to turn to the shotty. I forgot to grab the guts since they would have come in handy as rope substitute later- Ah well. 

I brought the meat back and was able to set up a fire... I cooked it up and as all have mentioned you don't have much of a window between cooked and burnt. The colour around the steak gets darker and darker red so you do have a good opportunity to be prepared to grab it when it's done. 

Plants also don't give you much of a window and do tend to spoil easily. Best to harvest and then leave them around. The plant material isn't really useful so far as I can tell. I put it in the fire but don't think that's even going to do much other than get rid of it. 

So I have an infinite supply of water to share with my guests and if they can wait 5 minutes I can grow them plenty of veggies for their travels. I'm also going to hope to have 4-5 fish traps set up so they can collect fish and cook them on the fire. I have some steak- and will keep my supply up since the hunting grounds are close by. I also have some tuna and other canned goods in the event folks need to hurry. Of course I also have a few spare improvised knives to hand out if necessary. 

The only thing I'm missing are bags- though I have collected some burlap sacs that can be crafted into sacs easily enough.  Unfortunately I'd already cut them into strips to carry them so I'll only get half back if I recombine them. Then with sticks and some guts (lol) or tape (I think) I can craft some bags for folks if they need. 

I could probably grab a few sewing and leather repair kits- possibly some additional shirts for rags- 

If persistence is turned on, can I expect that this stuff will stay where I leave it? I placed a paint can down and later found that it had disappeared. Is there any way to store things so they last? If I put them in a sac perhaps and hide it? 

One cool thing did happen while I was going to check my fish trap- as I was on my way back to the house I heard this racket boil up from the south... I'd heard it once before and knew it was a V3S. I ducked down and was out of sight... It came up pretty quickly and I tried to call out to the driver but he probably couldn't hear me from the engine noise. He headed off out of sight to the north towards Riffy. 

So imagine- you're fresh and you've stumbled into Chez Eno... What other supplies would help get you on your way? 

(Edit: Well... the splitting axes have both disappeared and it's more difficult than I thought to figure out how to disperse my crops. I did manage to catch some sardines using worms I found with the hoe. I'm going to see if I can find a bag to put stuff in and then just hide it in the vicinity and see if that helps smaller items stick around.)

28arv3c.jpg

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

I had a pretty eventful dayz. First I spawned near Kambiwobo and knowing its a hotspot I took it slow there. I saw a guy crawling around on the ground so I went up to him. He wanted me to kill him. i can fix your legs I said, no just kill me, he said so i did :/

I continued on to Elektro. I was scouting the city out with my longhorn when I heard shooting. I saw some guys on rooftops and decided to go down there. The server crashed so I logge din with anohter character, also in Elektro. Almost right away i was attacked by a puncher. I told him to just run away as I had a pump shotty but he persisted so i shot him.

I continued into town and pretty soon I heard zombies attacking a player. I moved up and there was three of them chasing a bambi. He ran inot a house so i decided to shoot the zeds and help him. Unfortunately he got in the way and i killed him too :/

Then some people arrived, including a girl so we talked for a bit. A guy came up and screamed "You assholes!" and threw a spade at us. Then the server kinda froze. We could still talk and move our characters but we couldnt see the others doing anything so i logged out and logged in with my first character in elektro. I went into the firestation and as I was making my way down from the roof someone shot at me. I had to duck halfway down and hide on the roof. I tried rolling down but died.

I respawned near cherno. Went into town and found a shitload of bow arrows. I made a bow and was making my way out of town when I was shot. I respawned nearby and made it to my corpse that was unlooted so i continued on. i could hear shooting in Cherno but went to the highrises instead. The bow was quite nice but the range on it is way to short, kinda 20-30m and retreiving arrows is a nightmare. They should make the range at least 50 m before you need to compensate and make the arrows retreivable through the loot inventory. I could onlt retreive 2 out of 24 arrows which really sucks, making it a useless weapon.

I found a shotty and went to the airfield. I could hear someone shooting, first with a magnum and then an sks. I snuck around for a bit then went to the prisons. Strangely there were no signs off combat. No corpses and no loot. And no dead zeds either. I went into a safe house outside and logged off.

Edited by Killawife

Tried o play while drunk, got shot trying to kill a guy with a hockey stick. I love this game.

New full private server, new spawn, a zambie immediately attacks and causes some bleeding. While I'm punching out the zambie a wild squealer bambi appears (he must have really needed that extra flashlight) and attacks me while shouting nonsense, so I train the almost dead zambie on him and he runs away a short distance. I finish up the zambie and see the squealer coming back in for round two. Still bleeding, I run inland to town a short distance hoping he will just lose interest... nope, this is DayZ. I do a mid-sprint about face and engage in a cq fistfight with the squealer, I'm weaving side to side looking for that headshot and just after he shouts "you might as well just let me kill you"... I land a very satisfying knockout blow on him.

With a full monotone screen I run into a shed nearby to bandage and while I'm doing so... oh look, theres a sledgehammer. As I finish bandaging and grab my trusty maul I 3pp look around the edge of the shed to see the sqealer waking up, still screaming nonsense at an unseen me, with a zambie attacking him. The squealer begins attempting to punch out the zambie, I run up behind the squealer while hes fighting the zambie, he turns around just as I approach him.

I one shot his face with sledgehammer while wondering if the devs just implemented karma, then dispatch the zed. If there was one zambie I ever wished I could let live it was this one... but times are tough.

Immediately after that I head just inland away from the coast for food, water and healing. I find no food, little water, and a CR75 magazine. I duck into a nearby house trying to find some food as I'm whitescreened and starving... there is footsteps outside. All the sudden I hear the loud bang of a shotgun just outside the house and some guy swearing at another guy (presumably the shotgun guy just kos'd the swearing guy), I put up my dukes and get ready to die. A mosin cracks out in the distance and footsteps scamper off toward to coast. A few more mosin and shotgun shots ring out in the distance.

As I'm scavenging the area I run right smack into the mosin armed player inside a building and out of pure instinct, bambi anger and butthole tightening anxiety I start swinging again, hitting him a few times. He runs out of the building and calls "friendly" over coms, I apologize and tell him I'm sorry he scared the ever loving shit out of me. He says "ok ok its fine man".

Both of us anxious as hell and talking in what seemed like 60 words per second, he accepted the apology, we exchange quick greetings and explain what we need/want/where we going in the most efficient manner I've ever seen in DayZ... this all happened in like 15 seconds of auctioneer speak. In 15 seconds I explained the bambi and my health situation, he inquired about the shotgun bandit which was the guy creeping around outside my house a few minutes earlier, I told him I needed food, he gave food, I offered him CR75 mag, he ACTUALLY HAD a CR75, he drops pistol and tells me he'll drop the mag slightly up on the road, tells me to give him a 30 second headstart, I do so. 30 seconds go by... I reluctantly go up the road and...

Holy shit, not 10m out of town there is the mag laying there with the amazingly efficient hero no where to be found. I am now armed and no longer starving, thank you random guy of the hero type that I rarely ever see in DayZ... and I'm the guy who says they don't actually exist in the game.

Then after an exhilerating half hour of DayZ my mom calls and I have to spend the next hour on the phone.

Edited by Chzy
  • Like 1

Tried out a new private shard I had seen advertised in the Servers section.  It's a 1PP, private, persistence-off server and IMO this sort of server offers the best DayZ experience.  Yes, you could still meet a KoS player but generally speaking, on a server like this you tend to meet a better class of survivor.  ;-)

Found myself on the beach in the pouring rain but right next to a couple of fishing boats crammed full of wellies, raincoats and fishing nets.   Picked myself a pristine green raincoat, tan boonie hat, brown wellies and then loaded up on a bunch of nets since they were available.  Not a bad start!  Looked one way down the coast - nothing.  Looked the other way - also nothing.  Hmm, normally you can see at least some buildings in the distance but this time I seemed to be truly in the middle of nowhere.  I had decided to try playing without the map so I had this vague suspicion that I was somewhere far down the South East coast and decided to face the sea, turn left (so East in my mind) and start jogging.  I quickly located a small village which had just enough supplies to keep me going and a pick axe for self defence.  I kept moving up the coast, following a long stretch of forest on my left before hitting another small and unnamed village.  I looked through the buildings but there was nothing to be seen - someone had already been through and picked it clean.  I was just starting to worry about food when I noticed a can of sardines sitting on one of the gas rings on a cooker.  Then, in the next house I saw the same thing - possibly someone had left them as they didn't need them but something tells me that they searched the houses quickly and just missed them.  Whatever, they were vital in giving me enough energy to keep going.

Concerned that the coastal towns may have been stripped completely I decided to head inland.  I quickly came to a very familiar junction, although I could not remember where on the map it was, I took the route that I always take at that junction and passed by more familiar scenery and buildings, all of which had, worryingly, been looted.  I was starting to fear that I could well simply be following in the wake of a fellow survivor who was collecting all the food that I desperately needed.  Fortunately, there was a well by a barn which I could drink from and yet another can of sardines on a cooker.  The third one now! 

After a few more minutes of knowingly exactly where I was and yet at the same time not actually knowing where I was I caved in and consulted the map.  I immediately discovered that I had been WAY off the mark with my idea of a South Easterly spawn and had actually spawned on the South West corner of the coast, opposite the island of Skalisty.  I thought I was running West but had actually been heading North...  I had then cut inland at 3 Valleys (a small village just below Solnichniy) and was approaching Msta.  Ok, I'm back on track and this is good news - I know Msta well and it's usually pretty safe and reasonably well stocked.  I reach the town in a few minutes and although as before it's been mostly stripped, I do manage to grab a bag, a little spare food, a canteen, 0a splitting axe and even a Repeater (without ammo).  So I am confident that I've got a decent chance.  Besides, the next town along is Staroye which has always given me good loot and I would expect to find some .357 ammo there.

Leaving Msta I see a deer in a field.  One of the things that I always try and do at the moment is to play a more "natural", self sufficient style of survivor and the greatest manifestation of that is, for some reason, a bit of an obsession with using natural backpacks and eating only natural foods (animal meats, fruit and vegetables).  I've only got the splitting axe but I reckon if I run at the deer and time my swing right I can take it down.  I charge and miss.  The deer evades but stops almost immediately so I charge him again and this time my axe connects with a resounding whump.  The deer again runs off but then something weird happens.  He reaches a fairly shallow but noticeable dip in the ground but seems to sort of jump it, then when he lands on the other side of it he keels over dead - as if he's taken fall damage which has finished him off.  Whatever the reason, I break out my improvised knife and I'm now packing a new leather sack full of juicy deer steaks.  Something I really like about the leather sack when playing on a 1PP server is that you can still look behind yourself whereas the drybag I just ditched is very restrictive.

At Staroye I find a ton of fruit and veg (hurrah) and in the police station a 30 round .22 mag for a Sporter rifle.  The Sporter rifle is a gun I have never used and it's on my "to do" list so I grab that.  I also find lots of ammo for pretty much every type of gun, expect the Repeater.  Then I find a pristine LRS and PU scope which I grab, just in case.  My inability to find a working combination of gun and ammo is annoying me so I decide that I'll head North through Shakhovka to Polana where I should be able to grab either some .357 ammo for my Repeater or a gun for the various other ammo types I already have.  With depressing familiarity, Shakhovka is looted clean of anything I need, including matches, which I want so I can cook my steaks.  Sigh...come on devs, give us the ability to create fire by rubbing twigs together already!

Leaving Shakhovka I decide to take the smaller back road to Polana rather than the main road and this highlights one of the things I really like about DayZ - that if the terrain is right you can see for miles.  And indeed, thanks to a valley in between us, in the distance I can see the next road that I will need to take, above the intervening forest.  It's a small thing but I just really like it - the sense of scale is awesome.  A short but pleasant jog though the countryside brings me to Polana.  I know this town well so head straight to the first place I expect to find a gun and hit the jackpot: a Sporter .22.  Finally, it's time to try out this weapon!  I sweep the rest of the town and find another canteen (I like to have 2, just in case) and other bits so inventory space becomes a bit tight because of the limited storage space I have - the biggest disadvantage of all the "natural" backpacks.  Time to get brutal with the gear.  The pristine LRS and PU scopes get ditched (honestly though, why can't the Sporter take a scope?  It's a hunting\target rifle - read any sort of gun magazine and there are tons of adverts for .22 rifle scopes!) along with all the 7.62mm and other ammo types.  I run out of town past an abandoned car and something catches my eye.  There's a Mosin on the back seat.  Ah DayZ, why do you do this to me?  Sigh...  The Sporter gets ditched (sorry, but I am not passing up a Mosin + LRS opportunity) and goes back on the list as a "thing to do in DayZ" and I run back for the LRS and ammo.  Now that I have a Mosin I finally decide to do something with the nets and burlap sacks that have been wasting my inventory space so I craft a gun wrap and ghillie hood.  With the freed up inventory space I grab the PU scope too and also some shotgun ammo (I also have a thing about sawn off shotguns at the moment too!). 

There's still one thing that I cannot find though - matches.  Deciding to throw caution to the wind I point myself towards Berezino and there I find a shotgun, a hacksaw to cut it down and a snaploader for it.  There then follows a gratuitous shotgun induced zombie slaughter, which is needlessly risky but very enjoyable.  But still not a match to be seen.  I move along the buildings, searching most of them until I reach the lumber mill on the coast.  I've had an enjoyable time killing zombies but being in a town, especially a big one like Berezino stretches my nerves a little, so I decide on a cross country stroll Northwards toward Olsha.  There, I finally find a box of matches....with a whole four matches inside!  Well, it's better than nothing so I grab it.  In the next building guess what I find?  Another box of four matches.  Then a few building later I find a third box, this time with over 80.  That's sorted then, what to do now?  I'm not sure why but I decide to take a look at the NEAF and head in the direction of the radio tower just to the East of it so I won't get lost.  And that's when I meet my first survivor.  He's geared up in a similar fashion to me and hasn't seen me.

I decide to risk it and open comms and say hello.  For a few seconds he seems to be surprised and doesn't know where I am so I keep talking to reassure him and direct him to me.  He's carrying a gun in his hands because he already has a rifle on his back, but it's lowered and he says hello.  We approach and I ask if needs anything.  Guess what he says?  Yup, matches.  Lol.  Eh, what the heck, easy come, easy go.  I hand over my box and he asks if I can cut some kindling which I do.  He takes it, makes a fire and lights it and we cook some food together.  He's got a friend coming who he says has a spare fire axe, which he offers me.  I'll be honest, I'm still a bit nervous but he seems friendly enough so I decide to risk it - after all, he could have shot me in the back as I cut the kindling if he wanted to.  After the food is cooked we run down to the airfield and meet his friend who, as promised, delivers me a shiny new fire axe.  I realise that my new friend is packing a Mosin so I give him the pristine PU scope, we exchange a few pleasantries, all do the "friendly" dance and then I leave.  I run to the end of the airfield and then for a few more minutes or so and log out. 

Total session time was between 4-6 hours and was a really satisfying and enjoyable experience :-)

High fiving a fellow survivor:

2015-01-24_00002_zpsba033d8e.jpg

• Like 2

Awesome story krazy... 

Since I've moved to a private shard my experience has been a lot more enjoyable. Still stressful but I don't feel like I've got a gun to my head the entire time I'm in the zone. 

I had my first customers at Chez Eno this evening... Fortunately I got a bit of a heads up on them before they knew I was there. I've tucked away most of my gear so I don't look all kitted out but I keep a few heavy hitters on me just in the event ish goes cray (as all the cool kids say.) Two guys, chugging down the tracks from Riffy... 

"Hello there! Can you hear me?" No response- but one guy stops. "Hello there- on the tracks. Can you hear me?" 

"Hello? Yes, we can hear you..." 

"Can I get anything for you gentlemen?" 

"We're not very well equipped- are you friendly?" Fortunately you guys all know the answer to that. As a quick note to those of you who are new- I don't recommend that you admit weakness in this environment. They started to pincer me a little and I didn't budge. I had a fire ax and a fully loaded repeater. If things headed south to the border, they were going to need a whole lotta bandages... and all mine are hidden.

"I've just got a little setup here near the well. Loads of supplies, some food and water and I can help you craft up an improvised knife if you want." 

"Yeah, we're going to hit this well... but take it easy buddy... we're way beyond trusting anyone in here right now." 

"I get it boys, I read the forums... I'm trying to be one of the good ones." I moved over towards my fire. "Warm up here- if you want I have some fish traps out and a couple of fillets I can cook up in about 5 minutes. Loads of vegetables on the ground by the greenhouse... I mean tons." 

"We've got people over here- just looking over our shoulder..." (I can hear them laughing in the background when he talks) "They're saying you're going to shoot us in the back." I can tell he's taking his ease a little judging by his tone.

"I get it... but I'm trying to help turn this thing around a little, one person at a time." They were taking FOREVER to get hydrated so I offered one a canteen. I'd found a second one and they seemed like they could use it. "I can help speed things up for you- dropping off a canteen. Also if you look to that stony terrain by the well you can find a stone and craft an improvised knife. You can open cans, make burlap sacs into strips... they're awesome!" 

They didn't take me up on that offer. I managed to tell them the story about the pair who lured ZH and I into the woods and murdered us. 

"You don't have any magazines for a (sporter?) do you?" 

"I've been working this area for a couple days in this server guys and I haven't seen a single magazine. For anything." 

"Well this is the first time we've ever come across anyone who was so helpful. Thank you!" 

Awwwww... felt pretty awesome. Chez Eno is a hit! 

"We're heading to Berezino further down the road if you care to join us?"

"No thanks guys... I've got some fish to catch and a fire to tend. Safe travels!" 

And they carried on their way... 

I can't wait until ZH is around to help me mind the shop front!

• Like 1

Had another customer stop by Chez Eno today... A freshie with next to nothing- It was fun for me since he looked over when I called out to him and I could tell by the sound of his voice that he was thinking "Okay, just get it over with." 

Unfortunately I'd moved away from my area to go chop a tree down when he stumbled into me... 

"Eh there- I'm not going to hurt you but I will ask that you keep your distance. I'm a long way from trusting anyone in this game yet." 

"Yes, no problem... I thought you were going to kill me." 

"Nope- quite the opposite. I have a little setup there behind you on the other side of that fence with a well and tons of supplies. I just found some pumpkin seeds and those are great for getting you all fed." I realized as I told him to "come on with me" that he might think I was luring him into a trap but he probably figured he didn't have anything to lose at that point anyway. I asked him to stay back a bit and he respected this. 

"Go ahead and hit the well since I suspect you're thirsty. I can watch your back as you do this- but I haven't seen anyone around here today." 

He was a little newer to the game so I did help him craft an improvised knife. "I can give you one and feed you for a day- or I can teach you how to make one and feed you for the rest of the game..." (Sound familiar?) He started looking around for stones and I went to try and figure out a way to craft my burlap strips back together into bags and make him an improvised backpack. I didn't manage to do that- So perhaps someone can help? I'm just trying to take burlap strips and put them back together so they make a bag. I understand that they reduce by half once you've re-stitched them. Anyone? 

He crafted his knife and was just in time to stuff his face full of pumpkin. I also recently learned that you can use your knife to extract seeds from the fruit- so I will definitely be testing that out. I just remembered as I write this I had a sledgehammer spawn in one of the nearby sheds I could have given him- Unfortunately I tried stockpiling weapons I found but they just disappeared unless I put them in another bag. So now I have a bag just for weapons. It's not REALLY hording if you intend to give them away, right? 

"My friend told me that if I followed the train tracks that I would get to a shipwreck... so I'm just on my way there." 

"Okay- that's "riffy" on the map. I haven't been out there yet on this server so I'm not sure what's out there. I do have an office space near here that has had an abundance of loot spawn in it recently so maybe you want to stop there first?" 

I think the server crashed as we made our way into the office... he got locked in animation and according to him though I could still move on my screen he said I was just standing at the entrance. We could still talk- but couldn't pick up anything. We exchanged names and I wished him luck.

"I've taken up a spot here on this server- so when you're done at Riffy please feel free to come on back and stock back up if needed. I'll figure out how to craft a backpack for when you return!" 

Edited by ENO75

me and my squad( all veterans 300 hours and more )  got whiped out by a nuke xxx  in grishino 

all 4 of us died instantly  

we didnt even saw the guy

no shots where fired 

we where spread out over 100 m and all died in the same second 

1st. person server

my char was about 45 hours old 

i had it all ( AKM with drum and pso1, ghilli suit everything )

he would have deseved to go down in a fair firefight or by my own stuipidness,

even dying by a glitch would have been better than this....

all scriptkiddys should get genital warts and bleeding external hemorrhoids big as oranges.

so my day z day was BAD

i had another good game yesterday. started fresh on a private hive, a full 50 slot server and somehow made it all the way to the northwest corner of the map without bumping into anyone.. and i wasn't even stealthy. i had a blaze with 40 rounds and a sporter with 150 rounds in my hands, i spent all of them doing target practice on cows, pigs, zeds and even trees along the way. i also made multiple fires in high traffic areas to warm up and chucked flares all around. no-one ever came. i was dissapoint. i never tried catching a fish before so i made a fish trap and a fishing rod. sadly the fishing trap dissapeared on server restart (persistance was disabled i guess..) and the fishing rod took ages and i had to log off before before i managed to catch anything.

ENO, looks like you got a good thing going there. do you mind passing me the server info and location? i might drop by some time