shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

TY, i know im hard to read. Im keep getting flashbacks and editing my posts and i believe it gets hardly readable after so many edits :(

Yeah, im not gonna claim he was a cheater altho my first impression was exactly that. I saw a friend of mine becoming invisible after reloging on same server, so im open to the possiblity he just bugged out - and knew about it.I madea terrible mistake not trying to check his pulse when he was punching me.

I used to feel the same as you about mosin+full sets but than i completely overgeared one of my characters with AKM, 74 short, silencer, tons of ammo, all types of grenades and whatnot.

Than, one day it happend. I lost my situation awarnes and bumped into an armed dude. My buddy just went AFK at that time and was standing in the next room. I panicked and unleashed the whole mag into the guy. I genuily felt sorry for him. The more i thought about it, more i felt i had a tremendous window of opportunity to make him surrender but i missjudged the situation and killed him.

I came to conclusion i did it over my silly gear.Not because i could loose it, but i was surely afraid some KOSer would get rewarded by it.  After the kill i gave the short ak to my friend and threw the akm away.

I think having assault rifle is just a huge drawback. You're much more likely to get killed over your gear and people will probably trust you allot less that a mosin guy. I think of it this way: it takes 6 minutes to pimp up a mosin (which is not exactly the hottest, most desirable weapon out there) but it takes quite a few barracks before you make your AK operational.

I never draw out a mosin when i approach players. having it on your back makes the players allot more calm, even tho your probably wielding a magnum.take the LRS OFF! Best bet is to find your weapons strenght. Always, Always establish a contact in way you can use that advantage. Never approach shotguns too close and be sure you always have lots of cover nearby.If u see a guy wielding a weapon and your out of his range, try putting weapon on your back first but be sure he cant get a drop on you. If he doesnt see you, surprise him. If you can make him believe u had a drop on him but would prefer some communication you're mostly safe. Those 5 seconds are the most important. I find that saying "dont worry" when he realises you have a drop is way better than saying "im friendly" . The other thing is not to look like loot pinata. No assault rifle? check. Put balistic helmet in your backpack but be prepared to put it back on the second some1 gets in your personal space.

Get rid of hunters"igotsomuchlootwithme" backpack. have your high capicity vest in your bag. put the cheap one on.

TLDR; Dont look like you just came from new Cocos catwalk show ft. Cara Delevingne.

I only got killed with a bow twice. Once it was by some random "im friendly" BANG your dead guy and the other time was chasing bandits in svetlo.So far i havea feeling people dont really feel threatened by bows.

if you play in a group dont approach players together. Unless you park infront of the house they're in. I hardly find friendly groups. Having TS and all is just a matter of time when some1 will find it fun to do something terrible to you/me.There are exeptions, obviously :) my personal ratio of friendly groups is much lower than friendly individuals tho.

Edited by halp

^ You saying that about the general absence of friendly groups is really making me regret not taking out that group by the hospital in Berezino. Then again, ZH and I are friendly so maybe I did the right thing by holding off on the shot. 

Also- wasn't even aware you could put an LRS on the magnum... no idea why one would but hey I don't know why a guy would run past a cow to skin a dude and eat him either but I guess that's part of the novelty. 

But that's just my experience. Im sure there are players out there who met more friendly groups than individuals. The playerbase is simply too big to set any ground rules tho, all im saying/sharing is concluded from my observations only.And it is probably false for the most parts if it was comapred to a bigger sample.

You cant put LRS on magnum. I just mentioned magnum since its my to-go weapon when i play with mosin (in your case a sawed off i believe?) .

By taking the LRS off the mosin, even if its on your back, you might not "trigger" any thoughts of "this guy was defo sniping elektro/bere/cherno minutes earlier".

Edited by halp

Well after saying I never see anyone....I guess be careful what you wish for.

Logged in and headed to the shore, thinking to head west for a change towards Cherno.  I'm in a hanger and someone logs in right next to me (new spawn) , makes me jump!  They run off and I run after all weapons put away asking them if they want some food, as I have loads.  They keep running.

A couple of minutes later I bump into them and again I ask if they want some food and drop a can of opened peaches next to them and back off.    They run away again.  I pick up my peaches.

Later I decided to head inland and skirt Cherno, but the bloody rain soaks me and I get messages after a while saying I'm freezing.  I find a barn and wring out my clothes (only found out you can do that recently, even shoes?!)  Still freezing so I get my axe and try to chop some logs for a fire.  No logs show up, try several types of trees and no logs at all.  I hit a bush and make a fire kit, try to use the matches I have but they won't light the kindling.  I die of hypothermia.

Next day I respawn by the lighthouse and head towards the nearest buildings to gear up.  Zombies attack and kill me.  

Respawn - right by where I died.  I find a shovel and take out one zombie, trapping the other in a house after it bugged through the shut door and I managed to knock it out long enough to get out and shut the door behind me. \o/

Found some basic clothing and another zombie appears and server drops mid whack of the shovel!

Log back in later and am at the point where I found the shovel and ready to take on zombies......repeat the previous.

Clearing out the small village I head to the next place west of where I was.

I take out a couple of zombies with my trusty shovel.

Going from house to house I spot a couple of bodies in the road.  I have a look and see that they are zombies not players and decide to be careful, but didn't hear or see anyone.

I head into a barn and hear a shout, so I run in and out of buildings hoping to lose whoever was shouting.

Getting into a hanger another player wearing a bandana over his face and swinging an axe runs in after me.  I back off and don't pull my shovel of doom.  He starts attacking me, then another player in bandit uniform runs in and shoots me with a rifle.  I run out, but they follow so I turn around and smack the shovel into both who end up bleeding and seem to panic a bit.  I keep running away from them, but they follow.  

So what ensues is a game of chase me and meet the shovel until the one with the rifle realises that they can simply shoot me.

He does and takes out my legs...game over.

Just respawned somewhere I heave no idea where I am.  Middle of a small village with orchards.  Immediately find an axe, rifle & ammo.  If I knew where I was I would head back to the lighthouse area and 'fix' my bandit friends.

So I guess as I was complaining that I never see anyone, that I should be careful what I wish for!

Small village with orchards sounds like a place just south of berezino- North of solichny

• Like 1

if you manage to make them bleed, just  troll them around the cover. Have them in your sight so they cant bandage themselves. the longer they bleed, more prone to mistakes they are.

Yesterday i spawned at that little hospital building near beachsite just between solnichy and its factory complex. Got in the hospital and met another survivor. Found a defibrator.

:x used it. He felt unconcious (strong but unsteady pulse) i tried applying defibrator again but it didnt work. i force fed him and what not. He remained unconcious.I started looking for saline bag but he used "respawn" before i got back. I hope he wasn't too upset :x I continued my way to solnichy. not 50m away i witness a slaughter of a bambi by two armed guys.

I approach them trying not to get shot in the face. It seems they had a quarrel regarding their previous lives and they killed him with a vengeance. I asked them if they wanna try something.

Sure, what do you want to try?

~ Well, i was wondering if you could knock me out & try this defibrator on me *drops the defi*

Obviously they found it a great idea and before i could say g'nite i was already taking a nap.

Sadly defi. didnt do anything, i thank them for trying, wish em a nice day and move on towards solnichy.

Found a blue pen there and thought, what the hell and stuffed it into my neck.

Solnichy respawn.

Letme get that pen again.

Elektro spawn. Im doing a quick search when all the sudden a mosin shot ruins my press vest. Im pretty sure the fire came from the hospital building, so I try approaching it from the inland. I soon run into mp133 guy who tried to look and sound friendly, but for some reason i couldnt get myself to trust him.I run away from his LOS before he could get me in his LOF.He didnt seem to mind the mosin firing so i figured they must be working together.It took me around 5 minutes to do a proper detour of elektro and sneak behind the hospital building.

I noticed bottom doors locked. With only a gardening hoe i decide to risk it and smash the doors open. Same thing on the roof. i decide i have nothing to lose so I yolo o/. I open the door and start running in his face. I was just fast enough he couldnt turn around and fire in the hallway which would surely hit me. I park in his face and start smashing him. He stands up and starts running like a headless chicken. Sadly, this pretty much worked for him since my game decided low fps is  the way to go. He had his failures aswell as he pulls out his magnum but only manages to hit me once (and ruins my 2nd prestine press vest i found just a level below him) I start hitting his face, backpack, jacket & whatnot as i hear the shotgun sound from behind hitting my legs.

Aw, too bad. His buddy came to help him. I felt on ground just at the edge of the building.He takes aim at my pretty face as I roll off the edge before he manages to put another one in me.

bubbye cruel world xxx

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

Not nearly as exciting as you guys but ZH and I remained in the Berezino area over the last couple of days. He'd made his way from Krasnostov to around the factory between solichny and Berezino. I entered into the same server as he was and we regrouped at the lumber mill. I'm still on the hunt for a couple more burlap sacs so we comb the area around there. 

There weren't that many folks in the server so we weren't anticipating too much trouble but that random encounter has been known to happen. ZH wanted to check out the prison and I didn't have a great feeling about it. We haven't had much luck in prisons so now unless I'm REALLY, REALLY curious I tend to monitor them but I don't enter. He went in and I hid out of side and kept an eye open. 

As I was getting into position I saw some movement behind me. I got behind cover and checked it out with 3PP and saw someone sneaking around some buildings a short distance away. When I caught him in the corner of my eye I was facing a different direction and heading behind a fence so I'm not sure if he knew I'd caught him or not. I could talk to ZH over TS3 over my ipad but my computer mic doesn't work, so I told ZH to sit tight and that I was evaluating a threat. "There's someone back here- and I'm not sure he saw us and is sneaking around or if he has no idea we're here. Just close the door and sit tight." 

I watched this guy for about 30 seconds and noticed he was a semi-fresh with a green rain coat and maybe a cowboy hat or tan boonie hat... Didn't LOOK like he had any weapons on his back or anything- so if he saw me (gorka style, Mosin, Axe, Magnum) he'd have had good reason to keep his distance. But as I've made pretty clear in previous stories mine is definitely not to bring harm to others. I couldn't call out to this guy... so I typed in global in hopes that I could reach him that way. "Hello- my friend and I are working in this area and are not interested in making trouble. If you need any supplies then please say so now- otherwise we will be on our way." No response. But I didn't see the guy again either so he may have ducked around a building and legged it for fear of us chasing. 

We watched over our shoulder as we continued north and then cut west to head up to Black Mountain. ZH wants that broadsword and hadn't seen the castle yet so I figured I'd take him there and then he wanted to log out. I still had a little more in me so I ducked down into Krasnostov again to work through some sheds and then headed to the NEAF again to watch it and see if there was any activity. By the time I got there it was late so I picked a good spot and logged out. 

Following day I came back in and there was limited activity in the server so I watched the NEAF for a few minutes for movement and seeing none decided just to go for it. I don't know why since it has been disappointing lately. I don't care for M4s and AKs and all that jazz- but what I did want was to find a high cap vest before I committed to a ghillie. When I'd spawned in on this life I was in Novo military area and found one right away but then it glitched out when I tried to get a jacket on. Needless to say I've been pining for one ever since. I darted across to the garage (I ignore the hangar  and attached buildings now since I've never found anything in either of them other than a V3S). I stopped at a few of the wrecked vehicles mid-field and guess what I found? Bingo- high cap vest! And a OD / DPM (green) one at that... Oh yes, and also ANOTHER V3S parked at the gate near that guard shack. That's 3 I've seen in that area including Krasnostov near the super market in front of the mechanic shop).

I also ended up finding a burlap sac in the military mechanic shop at NEAF... then the last one I needed (of 10) in a shed on the other side of the field. All set. 

I already had two 100% green paint cans and the 5 netting (for those of you who haven't seen the videos that's what you need for a full woodland ghillie top, wrap and hood. For a darker ghillie -mossy- you need 2 cans of black paint as well). 

I was watching a video of a guy who looked like he knew what he was doing and he had an interesting configuration on- with a tan gun wrap and hood and a woodland (lighter shade) top. I wasn't sure if there was method to his madness or not but I got thinking of my area of choice (NE) and realized the ground overlay that you see at a distance is very tan but the closer you get the overgrowth becomes darker... So best of both worlds? We'll see I guess. I'm hoping that the tan will help me blend in from a distance from the front- while the darker will help me blend in closer up from behind. Where I generally set up people wouldn't typically have a long view range on me from behind. 

So my mission continues: I'm going to TRY and monitor activities around Berezino... I'll be targeting anyone holding up fresh spawns or semi-fresh survivors. In the meantime- I'm going to be keeping my head down as much as possible. I'm also going to TRY and stay close to my backpack so that when time comes to move around I can stow the suit and run around in something a little less aggro. 

Edited by ENO75

Here are some "firsts" that happened to me in the last few DayZ...

Killing my first human being

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, but I still think that lasting 185 hours before killing your first player is a decent effort.  Here's hoping for another 185 before the next one.  I was running up the coast to meet up with my friend on a very low pop private server so wasn't too concerned about the risk of bumping into another survivor when I saw a body.  It was in the middle of a road bridge over a small stream and it disappeared before I could get to it but as I closed to where it was I discovered a military infected under the bridge, which I dispatched.   It was possible the body had been another player but my gut was saying that it was an infected killed by someone else.  I kept running up the road until I got to a small group of buildings just East of Cap Golova.  There was a well there and I was thirsty from the long run so decided to hydrate myself.  Up to now, all of the doors I had seen were closed, but the doors to these buildings were wide open...

I was carrying a Repeater in my hands (for my friend) and an SKS on my back.  I took a look around but it seemed quiet.  Perhaps the other player had already passed through, or maybe he had been going the opposite direction to me and we'd already but unknowingly crossed paths?  I checked the first building - clear.  I jogged towards the second building and that's when he shot me. 

It's funny, but I've always thought that I would make a good witness - you know, you hear about 2 people who witness the same event and then give completely different accounts of what happened.  I've always thought that I would be different, that I would be able to say with 100% confidence and accuracy that "this" happened and that's that.  But I was here and I still don't really know what went on.  This is the best I can remember it.

I think I was just walking into the door when the bullet hit me.  The noise made me jump and my screen flared as I took damage.  The house had a very small entrance room, with a single door on the left leading to a larger main room.  Only one way in and one way out.  Somehow, I made it into the larger room and found myself lying on the floor - whether I lay down myself or fell down I cannot say, but I was lying on the floor, Repeater still in my hands, and pointing toward the way in.  I mashed caps lock and shouted at whoever it was, asking him what the hell he thought he was doing by shooting at me.  Suddenly, I realized that I could see him out of a window - he was standing facing the front door, not moving.  I considered standing up and trying to shoot him through the window when he started to move forwards... 

He came into the doorway and I started firing the Repeater as quickly as I could.  He fired as well, hitting me again and I groaned loudly.  The colour was draining from my screen quickly and I was aware of red messages flashing down in the corner of the screen.  I worked the action on my Repeater as quickly as I could, desperate to take him out before he fired again, the time between each of my shots feeling impossibly long - but he suddenly put the gun away and started pulling out his axe.  I don't know for sure, but I think I had 9 rounds loaded in the Repeater before he came in.  He just managed to get his axe out when he fell down and when I checked my gun afterwards it was empty...

I quickly took stock of my condition - bleeding heavily and fractures in my leg, but I'd been healthy and energized, if thirsty, before so wasn't in bad shape all things considered.  My trousers were ruined and, worst of all, for some stupid, stupid reason, I had all of my SKS ammo in my trouser pockets - and now it was all ruined.  Rookie mistake.  I patched myself up with rags and splints and went over to check him.  "Unknown Entity has no pulse".  Well, sorry unknown entity but you not only shot first, you then ignored my attempt to communicate and finally decided to try and finish me off.  Even after the first shot, I would have been happy to make up, no hard feelings.  But leaving me with the choice of being killed or killing you, I'm cool with picking the latter.  I checked his gear and discovered the reason for his lack of movement outside, the delay in rushing me and the reason he only fired single shots - he was using a Longhorn.  He didn't even have any ammo left for it.  Stupid really, because I would have happily given him some of the 80 rounds of that ammo that I was carrying (hoping to find a Mosin) if he'd only tried to talk. 

Who knows, maybe he thought I was stalking him, I did have a gun in my hands (albeit lowered) after all?  Or maybe he just didn't care?  He wasn't really that geared up, maybe he just thought, what the hell, if I die I won't lose much.  It's a shame I will never find out. It's a shame that he will never find out that I would have helped him if only he had asked.

A few things I learned from this:

I have some recording software which I want to be able to run to help me see exactly what happened at stressful times like this, but it seems to hurt my FPS too much to run during heavy action.  I need to look at getting it to run without impacting the game as I would love to be able to review situations like these. 

The rate of fire on the Repeater is painfully slow in life or death situations.  I should have been holding my SKS with it's greater RoF and stowed the Repeater.  I wasn't because I was scared of losing it if I had to put it down.  In future, best weapon stays in the hands, regardless of the risk of losing it to a glitch in the floor.

Balance gear across inventory.  Don't put all of a single item (e.g. my precious SKS ammo) in the same inventory container (e.g. my cargo pants)

I only survived because he was not very good.  A professional killer would have looked at me through the window to make sure I was bleeding and then just let me bleed out.  Then, when I had to bandage to save myself they would have rushed me.  This guy lacked patience.

This game is amazing.  My heart rate was through the roof and I had so much adrenaline pumping around me that I was literally shaking.  After I had searched him I had to log off and take a break and I was so wound up that I forgot to put the Repeater back in my hands!

My first kill:

DayZ_First_Kill_zps6c10c7d1.jpg

It's a small world

A different private server, with only me and one other person on.  I'm lost since I play a lot of private servers and cannot recall where I left this character when I suddenly found myself at an airfield.  Aah, it's the airstrip at Balota.  Right, only 2 of us on, chance of the other guy being here is small enough to try a fast raid on the airfield.  Approaching from the South East corner the first thing I find is a hunting backpack next to a big military truck.  Bingo!  Although I am currently carrying the mountain backpack which has a higher capacity, it's bright blue and, IMO is just too big.  I much prefer the less obvious Hunting backpack so I'm having that! 

Just as I finish switching my stuff over I hear a single gunshot. 

Typical, only one other guy on and he's here.  No idea if that shot was aimed at me or an infected but I don't fancy hanging around to find out.  I bug out to the West and swing out wide, turning North through a field when I realize there's someone dead ahead!  A moment of blind panic is followed by a sudden realization - he's standing perfectly still - he's logging in!  First time I have discovered a player logging in!  He's reasonably well geared - I cannot tell what gun he has and he doesn't have a military helmet but he's just oozing "soldier".  I have no intention of killing him but I don't think I'll be able to run away far enough to stop him killing me if the fancy takes him.  Fortunately, there is a big bush in the field so I crouch down behind it in the hope that he'll not see me and just leave. 

But then I hear a familiar noise - an infected has gone aggro and is running towards us.  That's going to make things interesting!  I start running, just as the player comes to life, I open comms and say "I'm friendly, I'm friendly, I could have killed you whilst you logged in but I'm friendly!"  There's 15 seconds of horror\comedy as I run around in circles with the infected chasing me and the solider chasing the infected before he connects with his axe and the infected drops.  I look at him and press F1.  He does the same.  I turn and run.  I look over my shoulder and he's running towards the airstrip. 

30 seconds later I realise that I forgot to tell him about the gunshot in the airfield he is heading towards.  Ah well, I guess he'll find out soon enough...

Taken 4 - Almost Taken

Random private server my friend asked me to join him on and oh hey, I have a reasonable character here already, that's cool!  I'm even bright green on energized, hydrated and healthy.  I jog out of the small building I am in and look around.  No one around but this is a high pop (30/30) server.  Hmm, I know this town but cannot remember the name - I'll just park up in this shack and alt+tab to the map.  Aha!  I'm by the dam on the Eastern edge of the town of Svergino.  Cool, my friend is up in nearby Dobroe so we'll meet soon!  Alt+tab back and... "You are unconcious"  Oh.  Stupid me, I'm sure it wasn't a zombie so I guess I got killed whilst I was out of the game.  My fault.  Now I don't know why, but something made me keep looking at the screen and not just try and respawn and I'm glad I did because suddenly I'm awake again!  There's a guy next to me, it looks like he's healing me.  I'm totally confused, did he attack me only to try and heal me?  What the hell is going on?  I open voice comms and say "hello" and he suddenly darts away.  Then I notice the status message in the corner - I forget exactly what it said but basically the guy was trying to put a burlap sack over my head!  WTF??  Then I realise that my skater helmet is on the floor.  I grab it and run until I think I am safe.

I still don't understand what happened.  Why was my helmet off?  Why was it ruined?  Did he hit me on the head with something, destroying it and knocking me out, only for me to quickly recover because I was healthy?  Or maybe he stunned me with a stun baton or cattle prod?  But why that the helmet off and why did I get a status message saying he had tried and failed to put a sack on my head?  Whatever, I was lucky to get away from that one.  The strange thing is, that although I cannot remember what he looked like or was carrying, I still have a powerful impression of him being very, very creepy.  I dread to think what he would have done to me if I hadn't recovered as quickly as I did.  A lucky escape there...!

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 1

Me and a friend took off our pants, put on a pink dress and kos/handcuffed/tortured everything that moved in berezino.

Yea, critisize me, but after sneaking around and not seeing anything for hours only to be killed by a hacker we needed some entertainment.

Ever since i got an AK101, it seems people on public servers are even more determined to kill me on sight. I got tired of the paranoid feeling of playing with my public character, having to constantly be on guard and spotting everyone before they spot me, so i decided i wanted to change it up and meet some friendly people/ have some fun. So i met up with a friend, and we created new characters on a high pop private server.

And wouldnt you know it : I didnt get shot at even once !

I met 3 or 4 other fresh spawns in Cherno. Even tho there was some gun fire going on around town, i didnt witness any hostilities at all. The fresh spawns i came across mostly minded their own business. We exchanged greets and asked if anybody needed anything, but that was it. Too be honest, i was already happy that nobody was trying to bash my head or or put a 7.62 in my back.

My friend had spawned in Novo, and at that point the server went down, so we decided to switch to a different one that had better ping.

I spawned in Cernaya Polana, while me friend spawned north of Berezino. Se we decided to meet up at Svetlojarsk. Quickly saw another fresh spawn, but he didnt look verry friendly and i decided to leave him alone and head East. I met another fresh spawn near the car graveyard, he was beeing harrased by zombies, so i decided to help him out and put the .375 magnum to use. I dropped some food, he thanked me and ran off in the other direction. So far so good !

I arrived in Svetlojarsk from the railway station. Came across Mosins and MP133's, but decided to leave them be. So far i hadnt seen anyone with weapons, but i want to look as friendly as possible, so i decide to only carry the consealable magnum untill i can make a sawed-off. As i am looting the trains, i can hear chatter comming my way.

This is definatly more than one person. I can hear 2 different voices. I hide in the train and hope they havent spotted me. But they have. I panic for a moment as i can see 2 people approaching with weapons in hand. One has a blaze rifle, the other has a .22 sporter. So i quickly take out the Magnum and prepare for the worst. But they both greet me and start talking to me from a distance. Its a male and female voice ! They ask me if i have .22 rounds, and if i need magnum bullets. I have 60 rounds on me which is more than i plan to use, so i thank them for the help. We move side by side into Svetlo, and ran into eachother multiple times, sharing the loots ! Eventually they dissapear out of sight. I remember laughing at how loud they where, especially the woman. She was constantly chatting away without a care in the world. If this was public, they would get creamed instantly !

Anyway, meeting those people was verry nice ! But it did make me reconsider my strategy about not getting a rifle. I still aim to go for the sawed-off, but in the meanwhile, i came across an SKS, a prestine PU scope and a 10 round clip spread out over 2 adjacent buildings. I dont like the SKS, but this was too lucky to pass up. I will try to keep it on my back as much as possible, as the Magnum will do just fine inside cities and villages. Out in the woods and outskirts, it might come in handy tho.

My friend arrives in Svetlojarsk, we meet up at the docks and decide to log off for the day. Apparently he hadnt been so lucky in his interactions with other players. He had to kill a fellow a fresh spawn who came at him with an axe, and saw some bandits around Berezino. We will head back south tomorrow..

Edited by nillie
  • Like 1

Took some time to get into position back around Berezino where I have a pretty good view. On days where I just accept that I'm unlikely to see anything I usually see someone straight away but last night I literally sat there for 2 hours looking for any activity at all and saw none. Of course this tends to increase boredom and complacency at proportionate levels so I logged off instead of becoming a cross dressing murderer for shits and giggles.

• Like 2

Took some time to get into position back around Berezino where I have a pretty good view. On days where I just accept that I'm unlikely to see anything I usually see someone straight away but last night I literally sat there for 2 hours looking for any activity at all and saw none. Of course this tends to increase boredom and complacency at proportionate levels so I logged off instead of becoming a cross dressing murderer for shits and giggles.

Just LOL

Me and a friend took off our pants, put on a pink dress and kos/handcuffed/tortured everything that moved in berezino.

Yea, critisize me, but after sneaking around and not seeing anything for hours only to be killed by a hacker we needed some entertainment.

mate, your idea of entertainment is borderline pyscho, lets hope you only listen to the voices when in the game hey

after about a month of not playing i decided to venture into the virtual land of chernarus once again..

To my surprise my character was still where i left him last time with a bit of gear, a CR525 (no ammo), a derringer (no ammo), a splitting axe, some casual clothing with an improvised backpack and a bunch of mosin ammo, .22 and .357 rounds. i had no idea where i was tho, i spawned in the middle of some woods so i decided to explore the surrounding area and quickly found a road with some houses visible in the distance. with no food or water in my pack i decided to check it out and stock up on supplies, maybe find another gun or matching ammo for my guns. little did i know my priorities were about to change..

'you are cold'

on top of that it started raining and my clothes quickly became soaked. i was now close to the buildings, there were 3 of them and a shed i think but they were packed with loot. lots of cans, some warmer clothing, boots and a repeater which made me a happy man since i already had ammo for it. now it was time to get a fire going.. unfortunatly i failed to notice that my axe was ruined! i took shelter from the rain and as soon as it stopped bolted out in search of a new axe. not knowing where i was i decided to follow the road from the treeline to the next town.

'you are freezing'

well shit. and the next town wasn't even in sight. i think i knew where i was tho.. i remembered certain landmarks and tried to take a shortcut that i thought would bring me close to Stary Sobor. but it didn't and i ended up in a small town i didn't recognize. i searched every shed, every building and got some matches and a heat pack but no axe.. again i started following the road now getting legitimately concerned. but hey, at least i had the heat pack.. first time i ever had to use one. too bad it didn't do shit.

'you are hypothermic' 

by the time i reached the next settlement the screen was all blurry and i could not see a thing. not so long after, 'you are dead'

ah well.. i respawn not far from elektro, normally i avoid elektro and cherno but since i wanted to find some gear fast and had nothing to lose i went in that direction anyways. just before Kamyshovo, that town just east of elektro, a fire catches my attention and i decide to carefully check it out.. there was one lit fire, one unlit right next to it, no gunfire.. no signs of people.. i sneak closer hoping that some good soul left a bit of food. i was almost sure i'd get shot when approaching the fire but no.. all peace and quiet apart from my little shriek when i opened the inventory and saw 5 burned human steaks in one fire and 5 raw ones in the other fire. nope. time to get out, after cooking one of the steaks offcourse because hunger was playing up.

with no weapons and a bandit around i just went around the town and straight for elektro where i found some food and clothing, an axe and some other small gear. i was just sneaking my way across the city when i heard zombie noises, i expected them to jump from behind a corner at any time but then i heard a call for help through direct chat. sure enough, 2 poorly geared players were fighting off some zombies with shovels i think in the middle of a street. i saw 2 other zombies rushing in towards the fight so i helped those guys out and intercepted the zombies and finished them off before they reached the road. by then those 2 guys still didn't knew i was there so i watched them for a minute or so and saw one taking cover inside a building and the other just ran off. 

that's when i decided to make contact for some stupid reason. i stood right across the street for a few more minutes trying to make contact but my mic was obviously not working.. the guy must have been blind he didn't even see me.. i moved a bit closer with my hand raised and that's when he finally spotted me. 

"HEY, A PLAYER"  *you are dead*

god dammit. so i respawned pretty close to elektro and to be honest i was pretty pissed off at those guys and at myself for thinking there was actually a friendly non KOS player in dayz. i wanted revenge and by sheer luck i found a shotgun and ammo in the first buildings i searched. unfortunatly i died of hypothermia again just before reaching elektro because i couldn't find matches anywhere.

that evening i was reminded why i quit dayz last month. maybe i'll try again in another month or so. sorry for the spelling mistakes 

Can't you just search for kindling? Not sure if you even need an axe to make a fire anymore. Rags, matches, sticks... 

Sounds like a tough go but maybe your expectations were a bit high? I've heard the Vilayer servers are "warmer" servers and the one I've been on has been okay so far... 

Can't you just search for kindling? Not sure if you even need an axe to make a fire anymore. Rags, matches, sticks... 

Sounds like a tough go but maybe your expectations were a bit high? I've heard the Vilayer servers are "warmer" servers and the one I've been on has been okay so far... 

are you kidding me? doesn't the campfire require firewood anymore? ah well.. later i wondered why i didn't just hop to a server with a warmer climate, i guess i just didn't think about it. better luck next time

Hmmm, well maybe you're right actually... I should probably have double checked. I thought you just needed the sticks to get it started- but now that you mention it you're probably right to get it to burn long enough to actually warm you you're likely do need the logs. Shoot. 

Sorry Belph I didn't think that one through enough before I spoke. I'm still new- just sucks to see someone have a bad time when from what I've read it is getting better all the time. 

Edited by ENO75

All you really really need for a campfire is matches. Rags and books are virtually everywhere, so if you don't see them, the loot on that server is just broken. You don't need firewood anymore. Kindlings can be found on the ground in the woods or chopped with a stone knife which you can now craft without any tools. Stones for the campfire can also be found the same way - on stone roads, near lakes and the seashore. No chopping or mining is needed anymore. So really a matchbox is the only thing here which is not everywhere around you.

• Like 2

Hmmm, well maybe you're right actually... I should probably have double checked. I thought you just needed the sticks to get it started- but now that you mention it you're probably right to get it to burn long enough to actually warm you you're likely do need the logs. Shoot. 

Sorry Belph I didn't think that one through enough before I spoke. I'm still new- just sucks to see someone have a bad time when from what I've read it is getting better all the time. 

no problem bro. well that's dayz for you.. some good experiences, some bad. it just wasn't my day.  i was impressed with the new loot tho.. only had a few hours on 0.52 before this and there were a lot of items i've never seen before. i also got the impression that guns and ammo are a bit more common now but still pretty rare. overall the game feels more balanced now than how i remember it

Kirov, thanks, that's some useful information

Edited by Belphegor

All you really really need for a campfire is matches. Rags and books are virtually everywhere, so if you don't see them, the loot on that server is just broken. You don't need firewood anymore. Kindlings can be found on the ground in the woods or chopped with a stone knife which you can now craft without any tools. Stones for the campfire can also be found the same way - on stone roads, near lakes and the seashore. No chopping or mining is needed anymore. So really a matchbox is the only thing here which is not everywhere around you.

I felt bad for misinformation so I went into the wiki and checked out the crafting. It does say that you need at least 1 log but can have up to 5 for "fuel" however you can start one with books, bandages and / or rags / kindling etc. 

But books can in fact substitute the log for fuel? 

Oh- and what's the benefit of stones on the campfire... does it just release heat for longer?

Here is where I'm looking: http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Cooking

Thanks Kirov.

Edited by ENO75

i should read the damn patch notes after not playing for a while...  don't worry about it ENO, it's hard to keep track of these things with the constant changes of an alpha game.

i've been reading and apparently in current experimental, 0.53, you can upgrade a fire into an oven with stones and sticks and actually use a cooking pot and the tripod to prepare food. nice.

Yes... The tripods are actually in game already except they are just placeholders so far. That improvised knife is also something I haven't played around with yet but that I will be very soon since my screwdriver is ruined.

I have yet to cook meet or fish- nevermind trap anything so I think it's time for ZH and I to get inland a bit and ween ourselves off bacon, tuna, beans and peaches for awhile. Okay... well... tuna, beans and peaches can go but bacon... 10 year old canned bacon... if it's anything like wine that gets better with age then this stuff is going to drop my pants and lead me straight to paradise city.  

• Like 1

I felt bad for misinformation so I went into the wiki and checked out the crafting. It does say that you need at least 1 log but can have up to 5 for "fuel" however you can start one with books, bandages and / or rags / kindling etc. 

This info is wildely outdated and dates back the times of pre-temperature patches. Right now you need a kindling (something you either chop from the bushes or find on the forest ground) combined with either rags/paper(separate or from a book)/bandage. You don't have to have firewood anymore (chopping trees is a huge strain on the condition of your axe), but make sure to add the max. amount of kindlings (5) to speed up cooking (it should be 2 minutes but I get various times sometimes). Also, additional stones make cooking faster and probably make the fire last longer (right now 5 kindlings burn for half an hour).

There are cows are Berezino and if the wiki numbers are right, cow steaks are the best. Do you play 3pp or 1pp? Perhaps I could bring you some meat to Berezino, although my 3pp character probably is biting the dust right now. I like your stories, ENO75, and your attitude to the game. :thumbsup:

Eh thanks Kirov! I do enjoy it- we don't have diaries to write in in game so I find this sort of therapeutic. I'm still pretty new as I mentioned so I'm still holding onto the hope that I can stay a good person and not drift to the dark side.

ZH210 and I are going to meet near Berezino and probably head into the woods for awhile out of sight and practice some of these skills. As you have said there are LOADS of cattle near Berezino... mostly to the south closer to the construction site with the crane. They're always running around with Zeds chasing them. If you'll recall back awhile ago I talked about how one ran into the trees near me with zeds in tow. They subsequently veered away from their chase with the cow and came at me laying completely still in my ghillie!

We generally play 3PP though I'm thinking I might start frequenting 1PP private shards. I talk a big game now as I sit here- but all the feedback I'm reading suggests that the 1PP privates are a little less trigger happy and the part of the game I'm more interested in (human reaction / interaction) is more prevalent. Not to say you don't get your hiccups but at a level that's almost necessary to help keep people on their toes.

Your offer is extremely generous but I'm afraid we wouldn't be much entertainment. With that said if you had the inclination to get a public character up to Berezino I'd never refuse the company if we can get the times worked out. I'm not sure if you use TS3 or not but I do run a server for some other games and if we decide to meet up I'll send you the info. 

ZH210 is very young, so I'm keeping him under my wing as we play. Or at least trying to. He is a bit frustrated as well since we have been through some rough times together- offering people food and water only to get killed afterwards, being lured into the woods and shot while trying to help people light a fire... You know the stories- 

What does scare me a bit is that some of the stuff I'm reading about people doing to others is downright psychotic and I don't want him seeing that kind of stuff. He's always been a zombie hunter and he really enjoys it- but this game has taken a really dark avenue away from the Left 4 Dead series that we've played together in the past. That's my issue and nobody is forcing him to play- but it is definitely one major reason why I want to keep on trying to be a good guy and pulling the trigger on someone only if it's the difference between us or another innocent freshie / player being murdered and having that kind of atrocity committed.