Sign in to follow this  
KOOLLAYD

Need some advice please.

I have always looked at the DayZ mod videos on youtube, but never had got the game myself. I am thinking of trying it out while waiting to check out H1Z1, but I wanted to know which would be better to invest and start up in and what the differances are. Should I get Arma 2 and set up the mod or go with DayZ stand alone version? I know one takes up less disk space, but I am sorta looking at quality of gaming experiances as well. I know alot of you have tried both more then likely so I was interested in your thoughts an opinions before I deecided either way. Curious as to what you all thought was better or diferances in the two really. Thanks in advance. :)

I have always looked at the DayZ mod videos on youtube, but never had got the game myself. I am thinking of trying it out while waiting to check out H1Z1, but I wanted to know which would be better to invest and start up in and what the differances are. Should I get Arma 2 and set up the mod or go with DayZ stand alone version? I know one takes up less disk space, but I am sorta looking at quality of gaming experiances as well. I know alot of you have tried both more then likely so I was interested in your thoughts an opinions before I deecided either way. Curious as to what you all thought was better or diferances in the two really. Thanks in advance. :)

Before Arma3 was released I would've suggested getting Combined Operations for Arma2 and trying the mod, if you didn't like it you had Arma2 which was the best part.

Now that Arma3 has taken much of the population away I don't know what to suggest to you. The standalone is eventually going to become a decent game with a healthy supply of content, so I'd lean towards that.

I wish anyone who doesn't see through SOE's usual and predictable BS, and thinks H1Z1, a PlanetSide2 mod ripping off DayZ and Rust, is going to be a good game - the best of luck.  That will be a typical SOE disaster, as will be EQNext and any game they ever release, from now until the end of time.  Smedley has no idea how to run a successful company, and hasn't been ever since the creative team of Verant left SOE.  PlanetSide wasn't a good game, PlanetSide 2 isn't a good game, SOE doesn't put their name on quality games.  They haven't for a decade.

• Like 2

I'm curious to know what your definition of "a quality gaming experience" is?... This would help in providing some sort of guidance. What do you generally lean towards, Loot, PVP, PVE story depth, character building, etc...

Well I am a former SWG player. I am not really a fan of SOE persay. I will say they used to make decent games given the original Pre-CU SWG rocked in every way shape or form. That being said thier history with games especially that one being nice about it was not good, not good at all. I look for decent pvp, a good storyline as far as pve goes. H1Z1 only really grabbed my attention due to the aspect of being able to build and stuff. I haven't touched a SOE game in years. I've always leaned towards DayZ from day one even when I read about WarZ I really wasn't impressed. Especially when it looks like the same game. When it comes to zombie games I look for that whole full on survival theme like you'd see in Resident Evil movies or the 21 days/weeks later movies or the show The Walking Dead. Ya go out and find other people to group with and run with to try and survive. So the same feel you get when watching those is basically the same feel I am looking for when I play a game of this style. I am a fan of games like State of Decay and Fort Zombie even though they do have thier bugs it's the survival aspect that apeals to me. I've watched several videos on each, but having not experianced either myself it's really hard to tell the differance in the two versions of DayZ vs DayZ stand alone. So I am looking for sommething with alot of pvp combat, but also alot of co-op between players as well for the need to survive. Hope that helps give some idea of what I am looking for. Thanks. :)

Edited by KOOLLAYD

I would go for the SA.

The mod was good and still is but with the release of ArmA 3 and the different modifications that will come in the future leave ArmA2/CO a little behind the times.

My advice = DayZ SA and ArmA 3 (you just missed a sale).

• Like 1

Does the stand alone use the same map as the mod? Ask cause it looks alot alike in the videos.

I wouldnt even consider going near the origonal mod at this point unless you want to....well you cant even relive the splendor that it once was because they janked that whole thing up.

go with the Standalone, its better just is a little rough still. Better than the mod by far, just missing a few tiny tidbits of stuff that will roll in shortly.

Does the stand alone use the same map as the mod? Ask cause it looks alot alike in the videos.

Yeah same map, but it has been improved in the standalone so that almost all buildings are enterable and not just props in the scenery. Added new settlements and military bases around the map and landscaped it all with extra hills and things where there weren't in the original Chernarus. They have done a really good job on the map I think. 

I'd go for SA. And I wouldn't just go for it to bridge the time until H1Z1 comes out. Sony is like my countries government. They talk and pledge like shit, but at the end many are disappointed. I started with SA, but decided to try the mod too. Both are fun. But if you prefer H1Z1 just for the promised features, you should save your money.

I thought I'd do an update before this thread got to much older plus had afew more questions basically under the same topic anyway. I ended up trying DayZ mod first mostly because I caught a sale on Arma2 on steam so figured may as well. I still am planning on doing like you guys said and getting the stand alone. The thing that I am wondering is on the site for the game there is an ad for DayZ Supporter edition, but I don't see it listed on Steam. I just see the standard edition I guess you would call it. Should I get the one on thier site or just buy it directly from steam? Is it even worth it to get the supporter edition?

Also I have enjoyed Arma 2 and the DayZ mod, but for me and not anyone else has this issue, but seems like I only have good lantency with 10% of the servers and the other are just crap. Playing online with the mod hasn't been what I expected and one server I wasn't even logged in it for 5 minutes before the screen went grey and when I relogged it said I got banned and I tried again in case it was an error and told me the server was locked. Ultimately I download a single player version to practice on til I could find a server to play on regularly called DayZ X and I am finding myself playing around with that abit more lately. That being said I am wondering afew things. Is there a way to improve your connection with the DayZ mod? And is the connection to servers for Day Z standalone any better? Also wondering that about Arma 3 because debating on trying that game as well with the Breaking Point mod. Asking because up until now I have not had no real connection issues with any of my other games online so was abit curious about it.

Over all I just wanted to say thanks again for the imput and advice. I really apriciate it. :)

The longer you wait, the more the price will increase and the better the game will get. Just consider that. 

If you love the idea of the finished product, but don't want to deal with the Alpha...then maybe it would be good to still buy it now and save the cash for later. You'll always have it once you buy it. 

I would go for the SA.

The mod was good and still is but with the release of ArmA 3 and the different modifications that will come in the future leave ArmA2/CO a little behind the times.

My advice = DayZ SA and ArmA 3 (you just missed a sale).

This ^^^

H1Z1 is not gonna happened any time soon.

Now SOE faces exactly the same problems as DayZ SA:

PvP+mobs   vs   desync+lag       ha ) lol

at least DayZ SA doing it somehow, SOE H1Z1 is not.

(***** Planet Side 2 is PvP only, no mobs, no bullet drops, etc.,   correct me if some of this wrong, never did PS2, I don't have any inside there,only public sources)

I actually love alpha and all its unwelcome bugs cause once the official release is out I'll appreciate the game and devs even more if you see any logic behind my statement :)

Actually with games the longer you wait the cheaper they get Rags. I just don't feel like waiting. lol That's why I was trying to find out if there was any real difference between supporter edition and buying normal off steam. Outside of just handing them more money that is. Because atm I am leaning at just getting it threw steam and calling it a day. Not sure about Planetside 2 Paxom I tried 1 PS1 back in the day and I can't recall seeing any mods, but I barely remember it because the game didn't hold me for very long. And what you said make perfect sense Miracool. I don't normally do alpha games, but after trying the mod I can sorta see the potential SA has to it mate. :)

Get arma 3 when it goes on sale. if your reluctant to get the SA atm. SA is good but you need to realize the game isnt finished and youll experience bugs ect, if your not a patient person then id wait on the SA and go play arma 3 when it goes on sale.

I like the SA so id say to just get it. but i also dont care that we dont have certain features in the game atm, i just like to go farm loot lol and survive. Also be aware that things get changed and messed around with, so one example is loot being funky, so you might not find food or any good loot, that can be frustrating or really enjoyable. but be aware things arent 100%,,,if you dont want to deal with that then wait,

Start watching some SA videos of patch 0.50(thats on stable now) so you can see where the game is currently and also look into the new exp patches 0.51 to see what they are working on next.

For my shoot em up game i usually play arma 3 for my survival/loot farm game i play dayz. Both BI games

Actually with games the longer you wait the cheaper they get Rags. I just don't feel like waiting. lol That's why I was trying to find out if there was any real difference between supporter edition and buying normal off steam. Outside of just handing them more money that is. Because atm I am leaning at just getting it threw steam and calling it a day. Not sure about Planetside 2 Paxom I tried 1 PS1 back in the day and I can't recall seeing any mods, but I barely remember it because the game didn't hold me for very long. And what you said make perfect sense Miracool. I don't normally do alpha games, but after trying the mod I can sorta see the potential SA has to it mate. :)

games do get cheaper (usually) as they age. this, however is not a "game" just yet, as it is in early access alpha. i believe the dev's or members of the team have stated the price will increase either as the project nears completion or when it hits release candidate status. either way i would go ahead and get it, whether it increases much in price or not down the road, which is a long one yet according to Hicks, 1.5 to 2 years. for me it is perfectly playable and enjoyable, even in its early state.

Not really if you notice I was originally trying to work out what to try first the dayz mod or sa version. Now I am just trying to decide if I should buy supporter edition or not for sa. Not seeing a real big difference in the two. Tried the mod already enjoyed it and even though there isn't a dayz mod for arma 3 I think the mod everyone is playing is called Breaking Point or something like that so may give that a go eventually. I didn't think to check if it was on sale too when I seen arma 2 on sale on Halloween or I probably woulda bought both. As it stands I am trying to work out if I should buy supporter for sa on the main site or say stuff it and buy it directly off steam.