Xbow

Sharpening Tools

I think it would be swell to add a bastard file and a whet stone to the game's tool inventory. You could give the file and whet stone ten uses each. The file could take an edged weapon up to worn form damaged or badly damaged and the whet stone could take that worn weapon up to pristine. It seems absurd to have so few uses for any of the edged weapons but especially for a Splitting or Fire axe.  

Seriously, chopping down 4 to 6 trees should not ruin an axe. But every time you chop down a tree it should take your ax down to damaged or (DULL) so you should have to use the file and whet stone on the axe or you would eventually ruin it.

Just a thought

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

You do realise that it is possible to sharpen your axe on a stone already ?

But not very well. For axes it may seem enough to get "up to" damaged, but when I think about cutting fish / game... . But maybe that will change later in balancing. Either way I see this suggestion like advanced sewing kit thingies I read about somewhere, compared to real life the system is crazy. Yes, this is a game, but seriously, I expect to be able to cut down 30 trees and then MAYBE an axe degrades a little. And thinking of hunting knifes, modern ones are way better than traditional ones, nevertheless ppl are proud of using the same ones as the father or grandfather and they work just fine - certainly not resulting in less meat... . Sometimes such things are really frustrating when they are so ridiculously nerfed in game. I always get frustraged, when on one hand we can run around like we do and on the other hand there are things, be it movement or this, when I think, I could do way better irl. At such points the game mechanics become simply anoying.

Either way, rare items that allow stuff got get back to really good condition would not hurt.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

You do realise that it is possible to sharpen your axe on a stone already ?

Yeah of course I know a rock will sharpen a blade HALF ASS but I want real sharpening tools not a fucking rock that can get a badly damaged axe or blade up to damaged. That sucks actually.

bautschi  said,  "Either way, rare items that allow stuff got get back to really good condition would not hurt."

I agree 100% I do my skinning and quartering with a machete and in a pristine state it produces +90 steaks but in a worn state 75% or less. I would certainly take the time to sharpen and hone my edged weapons up to pristine after use...its part of survival. Some folks are talking vehicles, tanks, choppers and God guns and simple sharpening tools are not available....thats absurd.  

Have some beans  bautschi  :beans:

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

Fair enough !

Please understand that I am not complaining about the rock or slighting the Devs in any way. I understand that those lads have a lot to do and they do have to prioritize their efforts. I never noticed how delicate the edged weapons were until I started hunting skinning and building fires. But in any case now one can avoid scavenging in towns for food so the game is indeed taking a bit more of its final shape with every patch :thumbsup:    

Edited by Xbow

Please understand that I am not complaining about the rock or slighting the Devs in any way.

When I wrote "fair enough" I was giving support to the suggestion, in my own humble manner.

• Like 2

I also think badly damaged to ruined should be MUCH slower, currently I'll be using a worn axe and after three trees it's blunt beyond the point of a resharpen!?? I don't think so.

• Like 1

I also think badly damaged to ruined should be MUCH slower, currently I'll be using a worn axe and after three trees it's blunt beyond the point of a resharpen!?? I don't think so.

Yes that is my point as well. They should degrade more slowly. But I have no problem with blades getting dull with use as long as I have a real way of making them sharp again. I've had the same camp Axe as part of my back country kit for almost twenty years and with the miracle of sharpening its as useful today as it was on the day I bought it. Be that as it may using a dull Axe to hack down a large sapling is not only a lot of work but also a sure way to damage your Axe or get hurt.   

The issue is that everything work like that on DayZ...
Ridiculously fast starvation, sick, blood loose, blood regeneration etc etc...Even the consumption of a lot of things are ridiculously too fast, but like i've already say before, this is COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS that axe get from pristine to ruined after 3/4 tree, it make no senses, maybe damage it but never ruin it, i have never see any ruined axe, sharpen the axe will damage it even more than cutting 100 three with, cause three is in WOOD, but a stole even if it sharp it WILL make it loose mass...

This is not that simple to sharp an axe and it WON'T get ruined, in worst case it just too damage to cut and we just punch the tree, but if we sharp it again it WILL be able to cut like before...
But a SERIOUSLY doubt that taking a simple rock on the ground to sharp it will work.
Worst possible case : wooden handle can brake...
And even if it happen, in real life we WILL find any big enough and solid enough stick on the ground and cause even without handle this still an AXE we WILL be able to cut this stick on the size/shape we want to make a nice and smooth one that will CORRECTLY fit on the head of our axe, and anyway i've never see this happening...

Even on prehistoric time human was able to craft and maintain axe that can chop wood : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_axe

DayZ CAN be great but dev do stupid things and mess it up completely...

Sure, but only few modern day people can manage that.

If you need to survive and you have almost nothing, trust me, your imagination and the instinct WILL make you archive much more complex things, such as traps for example...

Anyway it don't change anything to what i've say...

Edited by Demongornot