nl

poor soda cans into canteen / bottle

The point is, I think, that the game should allow you to make mistakes.

Pouring canned drinks into a canteen or bottle to save space, then reusing the same container later for water might sound like a good idea, if you didn't know about the risk of bacterial contamination. Yes, you might get sick - and that would teach you not to do it again.

Just because something might be bad for you, it doesn't mean the game should prevent you from doing it.

sigh, see, nobody reads threads...this has already been discussed. Please offer arguments and not just a repeat what has already been said or had counter arguments. Thanks.

I do agree with you that the the game should continue to allow us to make mistakes. Just like you don't get a warning when you eat blue berries or start to drink disinfectant. But it should still state in the "inspect" screen what some risks could be and it's effective counter measures.

-I'm talking about prolonged periods of time being away from loot / water sources (not talking about your activities in the game)

-I find water bottles all the time as a fresh spawn, but they are often empty but I usually take them with me to fill 'em up as soon as possible or, if I don't have space and find something more interesting, drop 'em again.

-I'm not sure if atm it makes a difference in the game if you hydrate using soda or water but I agree that soda's should hydrate you less. I do notice many times a soda will up your energy level (sugar?) and I don't think water does the same but am not sure.

~ Being away from loot & water sources is very hard to accomplish.

~Loot is often best found in a town.. it hurts me to say.. most towns have a well. (Wells are so retro, don't they have taps? Isn't it 2014'sh??)

~I agree that soda should have perks... but it should also have worse downsides... Health is a fickle thing. 

@Dale Gribble

Okay, please keep in mind we are talking about a game here...not every aspect is, can and will be completely in line with reality.

I also wonder if you understand what purification tablets do. Surely if these tablets are capable of purifying water from streams and lakes (in real life) they will be able to deal with some bacteria living on sugar. Also, after purifying the water you drink as is, no need to rinse the canteen out. All you have to deal with is a by-taste from the tablet. Also, I could care less if my soft drink goes flat in a sutvival situation, as long as it doesn't make me sick and hydrates me I'm good with it.

If you go to (way up there) the north it can indeed be hard to find water but apart from that you may want to survive for a longer period of time without exposing yourself in the open, having a way to carry more fluids that take up less space (much like the ammo box and hard case) could be a benefit.

Sugar crystallizes. Purification tables will not remove the build up. There is a reason military canteens say "Drinking water only". Also you want to treat canteens like ammo cans or pelican cases. Ammo cans are meant to hold ammo and do so in the game, Pelican cases hold items for safe keeping and they do so in game, canteens are not designed to hold other liquids and do not do so. The up coming mess kit might do what you want to do with canteens.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Mess_Tin

I presume I have to assume... Everybody drinks from their canteen without it touching their lips, to prevent saliva getting into the canteen.

A pristine, disinfected bayonet / screwdriver, combined with pristine alcohol soaked rags. Canteen/water bottle Cleaner. Job Done. 

Right click, Un-combine and hey presto, thread is dead  :P

So you want to hold several items to save yourself from holding three soda cans? A screwdriver will not reach ever surface in a canteen, and a bayonet won't fit the entry point without damaging it.

No, pouring liquids with sugar into a canteen ruin it and make it a haven for bacteria.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I somehow can't believe that. When I was in school aluminum bottles were extremely popular and kiddies came into school day after day with bottles that had been used for years by them. And they were not containing water, but juices or tea - and yes, also with sugar.

In the army the (seemingly decades old) canteens - also aluminum - had sooo many scratches, it was not a nice picture. And ppl poured all kinds of stuff in there again, tea, apple juice, orange juice, ... . Yes, the liquids in canteens don't have a great lifetime. But that's the same for water in canteens. But one or two days, even if it's hot? The only problems I ever saw was when ppl forgot to clean the canteens afterwards, now that's nasty. But as long as nothing started to grow in there and they were carefully cleaned (not even a brush neccessary), there was never a problem.

Now soda is not juice, I could even imagine that when you got pressure in those disgusting things, you might have trouble opening them. But I see no reason to assume another source of food poisioning here.

The reason I would like pouring sodas in canteens ingame is simply that instead of leaving mountains of sodas behind because of inventory space, you could have it in canteens. Soda offers energy and water and is digested way faster than the energy or water is used up. It's perfect. No problem to survive on soda.

Irl I HATE those stupid canteens, I don't have one. Yes, there are those who use them a few times a year for mountain trips or something, and that's fine. But those old things in the army having had probably more than 10 generations of soldiers before you just ruined them for me permanently. Everyone of them had the same smell. They worked, no one got sick, but for me they were simply disgusting.

EDIT: After searching the web for the post back down, I guess I'm wrong, the bottles of the school kidies were most certainly stainless steel - never the less a disaster to clean as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by bautschi

Maybe I'm ignorant, but I somehow can't believe that. When I was in school aluminum bottles were extremely popular and kiddies came into school day after day with bottles that had been used for years by them. And they were not containing water, but juices or tea - and yes, also with sugar.

In the army the (seemingly decades old) canteens - also aluminum - had sooo many scratches, it was not a nice picture. And ppl pured all kinds of stuff in there again, tea, apple juice, orange juice, ... . Yes, the liquids in canteens don't have a great lifetime. But that's the same for water in canteens. But one or two days, even if it's hot? The only problems I ever saw was when ppl forgot to clean the canteens afterwards, now that's nasty. But as long as nothing started to grow in there and they were carefully cleaned (not even a brush neccessary), there was never a problem.

Now soda is not juice, I could even imagine that when you got pressure in those disgusting things, you might have trouble opening them. But I see no reason to assume another source of food poisioning here.

The reason I would like pouring sodas in canteens ingame is simply that instead of leaving mountains of sodas behind because of inventory space, you could have it in canteens. Soda offers energy and water and is digested way faster than the energy or water is used up. It's perfect. No problem to survive on soda.

Irl I HATE those stupid canteens, I don't have one. Yes, there are those who use them a few times a year for mountain trips or something, and that's fine. But those old things in the army having had probably more than 10 generations of soldiers before you just ruined them for me permanently. Everyone of them had the same smell. They worked, no one got sick, but for me they were simply disgusting.

If you don't mind me asking what military were you in that issued metal canteens? Just out of curiosity. I only had real use with canteens back in 2008 during my initial career training and basic training before being issued a cambak at my first duty station. The canteens we had were made of hard rubber and had "Drinking water only" molded on them. Some of my fellow students added the drink mix from MREs to their canteens and were instructed to buy new ones at the exchange by the cadre. Those that didn't had a very hard time trying to clean them out. I remember one young entrepreneur who tried stuffing an entire pack of instant noodles and the flavor pack to his 2 quart canteen thinking it would be edible by lunch. I remember him tossing the entire canteen during our meal break and being called out by the cadre for his initiative.

If you don't mind me asking what military were you in that issued metal canteens? Just out of curiosity. I only had real use with canteens back in 2008 during my initial career training and basic training before being issued a cambak at my first duty station. The canteens we had were made of hard rubber and had "Drinking water only" molded on them. Some of my fellow students added the drink mix from MREs to their canteens and were instructed to buy new ones at the exchange by the cadre. Those that didn't had a very hard time trying to clean them out. I remember one young entrepreneur who tried stuffing an entire pack of instant noodles and the flavor pack to his 2 quart canteen thinking it would be edible by lunch. I remember him tossing the entire canteen during our meal break and being called out by the cadre for his initiative.

German army in 2000. What you have to count in there is that every male back then had to go to the army or do civil service for 10 months. There was no way for us to get deployed to what was back then "ex-yugoslavia" or somewhere else, you had to sign up for at least two years for that, I think. I was mountain troops (infantry). We also still had the G3 as standard weapon, the official weapon was already the G36, so those getting deployed got additional training for the weapons, more modern gear in general, ... there were still some companies running around with old backpacks that had no camo patterns, we all had camo mountain backpacks. We got training, did our stuff and that was it. I think it's a way to get many ppl aquainted with military service, you get large amounts of ppl that are (somewhat) ready in your population should your country get attacked. When you were done with the service you remained in a "reserve pool" and could be drafted if the situation demanded it for several more years. For many this concept seems strange, but there are plenty of countries still doing it, currently one might mention Israel. Looking at the situation there it's probably not a disadvantage for Israel to have a big group of the general population trained that way. Long monologue here, but the main thing to understand is that I do not know if the gear German soldiers got when sent somewhere had canteens out if aluminum or plastic. We had aluminum.

I can not remember anyone trying to "cook" EPA package stuff (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einmannpackung) in canteens, our "MRE-ish" stuff. I think they were guaranteed edible for 30 years. YEAH!

To be honest, I think plastic canteens might be worse when it comes to keeping flavours from whatever you poured in there. I think it could be better for water though. Especially these days plastic should be cheaper in production and a bit lighter - way more interesting for armies.

BTW best use of canteens ever? I say peeing in one, if neccessary multiple ppl, they are not sooo small after all. Then use it as a warm water bottle for someone suffering from hypothermia. Learned that in the army, and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Fitting for the current experimental, isn't it?

EDIT: Just found that on youtube, the canteens are still the same, you can see it starting at 1m25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQFTR1FBfPs

Edited by bautschi

That wouldn't work unless you poured the water into a new container, thus making the contaminated vessel useless.

..//..

Because your container is now useless, and the carbonated beverage will turn flat within an hour. Cleaning a canteen is very different than a normal container such as a vacuum flask. In the military (before the introduction of camelbaks, though the principal remains the same) less educated personnel who added cola or juice to a canteen would have to replace it or risk getting sick.

But hey, pouring soda into a water canteed just gives you diluted soda, dude - it's no big deal.

If you want to sterilize a canteen you boil some water in it, that's not a problem. It's easy to do.