CANUCKinNZ

What if we get rid of Zombies?

Nope, can't wait. Once stealth and crawling and crouching doesn't set off zombie agro I'm going to be in my element! I don't care about pvp much at all in this game. It's a minor unnecessary inconvenience to the overall game. I'm not sure how you cane to this conclusion unless you didn't read the whole thread or my op though?

"what if we get rid off zombies" " I am just wondering if you would play on a server that had no zombies once it was Beta or full release? Just good old PVP without worrying about being chased by hoards of Zombies."

how am I misreading your post?  This post clearly shows you are pvp minded and there is nothing wrong with that, Im just pointing out there are better games, already finished games that offer better pvp gaming than dayz. We have so many pvp games, why make dayz into one of them?????

Im not sure which way dayz will go, ultra survival "the road" like, or the way it is currently, more pvp suited, even with few zombies. I personally want it ultra survival.

If people don't want zombies and want a challenge, I hear there's a game called Arma that has equally armed forces fighting eachother.

But people don't like a challenge and would rather shoot someone who has no viable means of fighting back.

• Like 1

Just wondering what everyone else thinks if this ever becomes and option. Would you play there?

No. I have ArmA for that. Edited by haknslash

I wouldn't play without the infected. they're (or would/should/could/will be) the common enemy. no matter your play style.. gunfire will hopefully attract them a lot more, if you're out being survivor man they'll hopefully be a threat even in the deep forest (need bears and wolves too :)

if I just wanna shoot and be shot at I'll head over to Red Orchestra with awesome gun play and have a ball.

There is game called Quake Arena, where you even dont have to eat or drink or bandage wounds

• Like 1

I would not play without zombies as they belon to the game and are a major part of both atmosphere and game dynamics. They are one of the many hardships you have to endure and make the game more complex.

It should, however, be possible to temporarily clear an area of zombies though it should not be easy.

Other games without Zombies... Most similar games to DayZ first.

Arma II

Arma III

Red Orchestra 2

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 1942

Call of Duty 2

Heroes and Generals (Free to play)

Day of Defeat source

Battlefield 4

Battlefield Bad Company 2

GTA online

Counter Strike

Quake 3

Star Wars Battlefront 2

The Sims (First one)

Wtf? Seriously why are you playing DayZ standalone if you don't like zombies?

Edited by Heradon2k
  • Like 5

But what about when they start acting as a hoard a bit like the ones in some of the H1Z1 videos I've seen? Strength in numbers could be an issue if someone's camping in a building, down to their last bullet and every exit is surrounded by zombies. They will be better one day hopefully.

True but the great thing is Dayz will be modable so at the end of the day you always have a choice as to how you want to play it.

Zombies or no zombies .

Helicopters or no helicopters.

Pink flying schoolbuses or no pink flying schoolbuses

The mod community is great and they will always come up with fun mods.

• Like 1

I'd love it if there were no zombies. To me they are just annoying and get in the way.

Zombies arent even an element I would class as something to fight, they do little damage and are slow, Yeah I want them vamped up into groups and herds infact I want them to be the main reason you sneak and hide in buildings, but to say you want them out of the game is ridiculous and clearly you thought you bought Rust not DayZ

• Like 1

This is one of the prime examples of posts where it's clear people don't understand DayZ nor the vision. DayZ is a zombie survival game, and neither a first person shooter nor a death match game. It just isn't, nor will it ever be. When people say, "Go play CoD" or even "Go play Arma" and most importantly "Don't KOS" they're absolutely right - that's not, nor was it ever, nor will it ever be the point of DayZ. Sure you can play as a bandit or a straight up murderer and although the game needs people like that if everyone tries to play this as a straight FPS it completely ruins the game and general vision. The zombies are a major part of that vision and the general experience. Your goal should be to survive - dealing with (or avoiding) zombies and also making decisions on how to interact with other survivors (merely passing by, cooperating with, exploiting, or killing/defending yourself) is all core to the experience as is the severe penalty for dying. Once item duping is finally gone you'll see people, especially clans, being a LOT more cautious as it won't be as simply and easy to re-gear, moving yet another step away from allowing CoD style combat (by design).

• Like 5

This is one of the prime examples of posts where it's clear people don't understand DayZ nor the vision. DayZ is a zombie survival game, and neither a first person shooter nor a death match game. It just isn't, nor will it ever be. When people say, "Go play CoD" or even "Go play Arma" and most importantly "Don't KOS" they're absolutely right - that's not, nor was it ever, nor will it ever be the point of DayZ. Sure you can play as a bandit or a straight up murderer and although the game needs people like that if everyone tries to play this as a straight FPS it completely ruins the game and general vision. The zombies are a major part of that vision and the general experience. Your goal should be to survive - dealing with (or avoiding) zombies and also making decisions on how to interact with other survivors (merely passing by, cooperating with, exploiting, or killing/defending yourself) is all core to the experience as is the severe penalty for dying. Once item duping is finally gone you'll see people, especially clans, being a LOT more cautious as it won't be as simply and easy to re-gear, moving yet another step away from allowing CoD style combat (by design).

Someone please make this a sticky. This is by far the best comment i have read on these forums since joining

• Like 1

Other games without Zombies... Most similar games to DayZ first.

Arma II

Arma III

Red Orchestra 2

Battlefield 2

Battlefield 1942

Call of Duty 2

Heroes and Generals (Free to play)

Day of Defeat source

Battlefield 4

Battlefield Bad Company 2

GTA online

Counter Strike

Quake 3

Star Wars Battlefront 2

The Sims (First one)

Wtf? Seriously why are you playing DayZ standalone if you don't like zombies?

All the time I think this.

Most of these kids have probably never seen a zombie movie other than that Brad Pitt scat. He's just your everyday, super attractive, scarf wearing, spanish speaking, airplane piloting, sharp shooting stay at home dad.

I have a friend even, all he wants to do is glitch and dupe. Kill players and loot.. even though he's fully tricked-out already. Me and a friend ask him, why are we going to NWAF to kos? He says because its the most fun part of the game...fun part of the game... fun part.FUN.

​Fun? since when was DayZ all about fun? Since it became... Mainstream?

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 1

I never liked the zombies in this game. Or any other aside from Project Zomboid, tbh. I always thought it would be more interesting in a setting similar to the movie "The Road", with roaming AI cannibal gangs.

so f'n anoying. remove zombies. so stupid so broken. 

STAR OF THE SHOW.

MOST BUGGED AND BULLSHIT IN THE GAME

can run through walls.

can run faster than you up hills

can hit you from 20 miters away even after dead

agro on you for looking at them 1km away.

can 1 shot kill you

can spawn another zombie out of the body of the one you just killed.

fresh spawns get dominated.

geared players get aggravated because its either "use axe and possible take a hit and die/ruin gear"

that combined with "random building stairs/checking inv resulting in instant death.

random triggered sounds "jingle of ammo, zombie agro, can opening noise,eat food noise" etc constantly triggering.

this is the worst aspects of DAYZ right now

ZOMBIES. 

fix or remove. 

so broken. its just bad

STAR OF THE SHOW.

can run through walls.

can 1 shot kill you

geared players get aggravated because its either "use axe and possible take a hit and die/ruin gear"

that combined with "random building stairs/checking inv resulting in instant death.

random triggered sounds "jingle of ammo, zombie agro, can opening noise,eat food noise" etc constantly triggering.

ZOMBIES. 

fix or remove. 

so broken. its just bad

Right now yes but as I have said in other threads we are testers. Once it's fixed it should hopefully be sweet but they can't fix things by removing them so we need to put up with it or go play something else while we wait for the fixes.

Since playing the Standalone since December zombies are way better already. They rarely get into buildings now if you shut the door quick enough, they can now go up stairs so you can't just hide from them and watch them fall through and they are a force to be reckoned with. Especially the hoppers. I still find them easy to kill with an axe, pickaxe and hoe, (That's all I've tried so far in the newest version.) but they could use improvement. 

I am in no way saying we need to get rid of them! In fact it would be cool to add in some more random animals that might eat you too. An escaped lion from the zoo or something? Lol? KOS needs to be slowed down somehow. But that's a whole other thread. 

STAR OF THE SHOW.

can run through walls.

can 1 shot kill you

ZOMBIES. 

fix or remove. 

so broken. its just bad

If you can`t handle the testing, stay outta the alpha

• Like 3

I hope the day is fast approaching when Zombies will become the primary threat. That would be a good thing for an open world survival horror game where Zombies provide the horror element. Zombies should be everywhere in large numbers especially in the cities and towns. And every wilderness location on the map should spawn zombies like the Black Forest (at the very minimum).   

There is game called Quake Arena, where you even dont have to eat or drink or bandage wounds

Honestly, I really take issue with this sort of response to the OP who was very polite and not looking to troll or aggravate others.

I don't understand why people feel the need to make snide jokes when, at least to me, it seems perfectly understandable that someone might want to play a persistent survival game a la DayZ without the infected AI who honestly at best were never more than a backdrop from which the real meat of the game, the human element, could build upon.

Although I personally have no qualms with them in principle it is my own opinion that removing the Zeds from the game wouldn't drastically detract from the experience in my own opinion.

People can say "oh but there is the Wasteland mod for ARMA" and while that is a great mod it seems (at least in my own experiences) that there are no persistent servers where gear or equipment saves and the survival and scarcity elements are far less developed and serious.

Zombies are the most boring part of the game.  They serve a purpose, but it's not one that couldn't be filled in other ways.  I wouldn't really miss them.

Now that the title got your attention and you popped in here to flame me saying such things as, "It's a Zombie survival game!", "Go back to COD." and "what are you 12?", this is in no way a suggestion to get rid of them. I think they add a great element to the game and once it's all working properly we're going to lose half the COD fan boys and girls because we are going to need to be more stealthy and not shoot first ask questions later. (I can't wait for that day!) 

I am just wondering if you would play on a server that had no zombies once it was Beta or full release? Just good old PVP without worrying about being chased by hoards of Zombies. Would there be enough challenge? I could see it just leading to 60 people all sitting in a window waiting for someone to run by so they can pop them off with their sniper rifle. Boooorriiinnngggggg! 

Just wondering what everyone else thinks if this ever becomes and option. Would you play there? 

When they announced the private shards and modding tools this was the first thing I thought would happen by some server owners. Maybe not as far as the whole removing zombie thing but they will more than likely edit the map to accommodate pure PvP when it's allowed and I'm sure some of them will remove the zombies entirely.

Hell, lets get rid of loot and health while we're at it. Let me pick a loadout and we'll all split up into teams.

How bout we rename the whole game "Wasteland"?

• Like 1

Hell, lets get rid of loot and health while we're at it. Let me pick a loadout and we'll all split up into teams.

How bout we rename the whole game "Wasteland"?

As I said in my earlier post I don't think that Wasteland is suitable as a direct comparison to Dayz, the survival elements are far less refined, there is immediate access to firearms, and there isn't (to the best of my knowledge) persistent servers which save gear over more than one session.

To say that Wasteland is essentially DayZ without Zeds is to do a disservice to both experiences in my opinion.

Zombies arent even an element I would class as something to fight, they do little damage and are slow, Yeah I want them vamped up into groups and herds infact I want them to be the main reason you sneak and hide in buildings, but to say you want them out of the game is ridiculous and clearly you thought you bought Rust not DayZ

Nah, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about.

I know what game I bought.

The zombies are annoying.

And they get in the way.

Don't take people's opinions so personally.

Any other questions?

Removing the zombies would be like adding firearms to the spawn loadout. It's contrary to the fundamental basis of the game and should never be allowed.