brazorf

Feed balancing

I feel like the current feed system balance works exactly the reverse way it would in a real situation.

That's why, as explained in this excellent series of video http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/159251-merinos-in-depth-video-guides-feb-11th-updated-to-034115106-new-status-indicators-rebalancing-of-hunger-thirst-stomach-blood-and-health-reg/, we use to eat any food (and drink water aswell) we find along instead of storing for later usage.

So we are survivors that won't carry or care for food, and who's carrying some in his inventory is either full-stomach or a fool. Not to mention the huge quantity of cans you find everywhere.

I've thought about this since weeks, but yesterday was the top: i was carrying about 5-6 can of food because "i felt really full", and i quickly ate some whenever the well-fed status went away, in order to save space in my backpack and not waste food. This is a weird behaviour lol.

What you guys think about this?

Well according to you, I'd be a the full-stomach-fool. I'm always carrying extra rations. I would only store them in my shirt though...zombies seem to hate when I have nice shirts. Even so, I do graze like you are saying. They probably need to reduce food loot spawns a bit, but I also think there's a fine line between fun game mechanics and punishing game mechanics. I'm not sure how long I'd play if I were starving-crazy-gray-screen and couldn't find anything simply because I was the 10th person to log into a server...I guess until I died and had to do it all over again?

I like the excess energy storage as you can virtually put on weight in case you have to go without food for quite a while. However I would like to see some feedback when you approach the maximum capacity as here your feeding behavior should change. Maybe if excess enegergy would slowly make you fatter going back to normal when below the maximum for a longer period of time? Or they could add a "Appetite" state that appears if you are below a relatively high energy and a certain stomach level.

Anyways I usually eat my fill until fully energized and keep eating what I can find for a while but then stop consuming much food only eating something from time to time. There is no need to bring a lot of food and consume it as soon as you are not stuffed anymore. You can also take longe breaks between meals - however food is very common in the current build so there is not much reason to carry it around. One is staying independent - having a bag of rice with you can save you from depending on looting towns, certain tools and finding game, which might come handy in a dangerous neighborhood. Another is giving it to others allowing them a better start or just carrying the food until you enter a safer spot.

I almost always carry extra food, water/soda and at least one other item besides the can opener to open cans, one never knows what will happen from day to day and preparation is just smart. I will also carry an extra weapon or two with some reasonable extra clothes, one never knows when the spirit of charity will strike and cause you help someone else. If you are not carrying extra items I would have to suppose that you are simply resigned to die soon and often without any particular regard to anyone else and there is nothing wrong with that but don't assume that everyone plays your way.

and if you think I am fool for carrying extra food/drink, I'll race you to debug island and back with just the stuff in my pack vs. just the stuff in your pack.

Edited by Elle

Well according to you, I'd be a the full-stomach-fool. I'm always carrying extra rations. I would only store them in my shirt though...zombies seem to hate when I have nice shirts. Even so, I do graze like you are saying. They probably need to reduce food loot spawns a bit, but I also think there's a fine line between fun game mechanics and punishing game mechanics. I'm not sure how long I'd play if I were starving-crazy-gray-screen and couldn't find anything simply because I was the 10th person to log into a server...I guess until I died and had to do it all over again?

I used to carry extra rations too, till i figured out it was meaningless. I always find soda and cans before my energy status become light green, so i began save space for other stuff.

I don't like the "puninshing" too, i was just thinking about a better balance that would work fine without making the game a pain in the arse

I hardly find any food, even on a 0/40 server. Even when i do, it's a can i can't open.

There are a multiple items that will open a can. Some waste a small amount of food. 

Typically I find a:

Screwdriver

Kitchen Knife - that is damaged as I like to keep a nice one around to skin animals

Bayonette

Axe 

All these will be damaged by opening cans and will lose some food when you open it. The Can Opener will not be damaged as easily and will not waste food, but they are harder to find. 

I too keep with me a hacksaw as a backup for the can opener, as well as some extra food and some water.  Even if I keep myself fully energized and idrated. 

I might have to camp for some time in the woods, or help a fellow survivor.  You never know.

Anyways I usually eat my fill until fully energized and keep eating what I can find for a while but then stop consuming much food only eating something from time to time. There is no need to bring a lot of food and consume it as soon as you are not stuffed anymore. You can also take longe breaks between meals - however food is very common in the current build so there is not much reason to carry it around.

No, you're right, there's no need to do this - though it's the most optimized use of the food you find along the way. If you eat until you're stuffed, you're not wasting food while keeping your char at maximum levels. Just talking theoretically eh, not that wasting food *in game* is any kind of a problem.

--

I almost always carry extra food, water/soda and at least one other item besides the can opener to open cans, one never knows what will happen from day to day and preparation is just smart. I will also carry an extra weapon or two with some reasonable extra clothes, one never knows when the spirit of charity will strike and cause you help someone else. If you are not carrying extra items I would have to suppose that you are simply resigned to die soon and often without any particular regard to anyone else and there is nothing wrong with that but don't assume that everyone plays your way.

and if you think I am fool for carrying extra food/drink, I'll race you to debug island and back with just the stuff in my pack vs. just the stuff in your pack.

I'm sorry for using that word - fool - i didn't mean to be offensive by any means. I've never said i'm not carrying extra items and this is OT, i'm saying that i don't *need* to carry extra food and the recommended way of handling with it, is eat as much as you can. That i think could be improved, that's all.

About the OT, well, i was used to carry extra items of any sort - this never saved my life, apart from extra splint for broken legs, and i still carry as many as i can. Extra items never saved me because i've only died because of kos, or zombie hit, thats the only way you can die as of today. Oh, well, you can also fall from roofs, but i doubt that an extra can of beans would help there.

About your challenge, what sense does it make lol? You're right if you use to stay out of town for hours and hours, but then i challenge you not to get bored after 1h. This actually is the way i'd like to play dayz, but it's boring in the current developement stage.

No real harm in carrying extra cans of food, just incase you get shot up in the wilderness and need to get a bit of colour back. If you're going from town to town though it's a little less vital.

On the other hand carrying water or cans of drink is a bit unnecessary with the sheer amount of streams, lakes and fountains about. At least until the water needs to be treated to drink.

Problem is you'll never stop people from just hoarding it all or pigging out as soon as they see it; if it stops somebody else getting it, they'll do it!

Discussed over and over and over again.

Yes we know this. The food is there for the taking for your testing pleasures. At this point dayz is nowhere near being balanced in anything concerning itemspawns. It's just not time to do so yet.

Also I always carry 1-2 cans around. Usually the space is available.

Edited by Khanarac

There are a multiple items that will open a can. Some waste a small amount of food. 

Typically I find a:

Screwdriver

Kitchen Knife - that is damaged as I like to keep a nice one around to skin animals

Bayonette

Axe 

All these will be damaged by opening cans and will lose some food when you open it. The Can Opener will not be damaged as easily and will not waste food, but they are harder to find. 

I only found one axe, one pick, and one screwdriver. I've starved to death and died by various other means before finding those. I found all three on one life, died shortly thereafter, and haven't found anything else since.  Starting to wish we could just eat the damned zombies...

I only found one axe, one pick, and one screwdriver. I've starved to death and died by various other means before finding those. I found all three on one life, died shortly thereafter, and haven't found anything else since.  Starting to wish we could just eat the damned zombies...

As you get more comfortable with the map and knowing what towns are where, you'll also get more comfortable with what loot is commonly found in what type of buildings. Your searching will become much more precise and you'll lower your risk by not searching places that are lower chances of success. Knowing where to find supermarkets, fire stations, police stations, and hospitals helps - and there's a few other common building types that you'll start to gravitate towards because that's where the best stuff is commonly found. Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Discussed over and over and over again.

Yes we know this. The food is there for the taking for your testing pleasures. At this point dayz is nowhere near being balanced in anything concerning itemspawns. It's just not time to do so yet.

Also I always carry 1-2 cans around. Usually the space is available.

I'm not talking about food spawn.

bag of rice 2 slots 10 uses (only eat 2 dry otherwise stuffed)

canteen 2 slots 5 uses and refills indefinitely.

all you need. 4 slots to victory.