acekaze

Question to developers

I know this question will probably get me alot of flame and that it will probably not be aswered by the devs, but please keep in mind i am not complaining or begging for anything i am simply asking.

Earlyer this year  Dean has said pretty much this : 

Vehicles will roll out in the third quarter – just simple bicycles, ATVs or small cars to begin with but in the fourth quarter and beyond the team will roll out advanced vehicles – helicopters, boats, planes, trucks with upgradable components.

So I really just wanted to know if this is still planned till ends of setember or if it has been pushed to a later data.

Thanks

• Like 2

I know this question will probably get me alot of flame and that it will probably not be aswered by the devs, but please keep in mind i am not complaining or begging for anything i am simply asking.

Earlyer this year  Dean has said pretty much this : 

Vehicles will roll out in the third quarter – just simple bicycles, ATVs or small cars to begin with but in the fourth quarter and beyond the team will roll out advanced vehicles – helicopters, boats, planes, trucks with upgradable components.

So I really just wanted to know if this is still planned till ends of setember or if it has been pushed to a later data.

Thanks

I hope as far as they go is bicycles, shitty cars, beat up light trucks, a few small rowboats,and some rubber boats with tiny engines.  The Map isn't really big enough for helicopters,and speed boats and no one needs BMPs and other military vehicles. I hope they have pushed the arrival of your advanced vehicles to, "a cold day in hell." I don't want to play ARMA with Zombies.   

But have some beans anyway :beans:

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 10

"I don't want to play ARMA with Zombies."

I don't want to play ARMA with Zombies. 

THIS!!!

• Like 2

I hope as far as they go is bicycles, shitty cars, beat up light trucks, a few small rowboats,and some rubber boats with tiny engines.  The Map isn't really big enough for helicopters,and speed boats and no one needs BMPs and other military vehicles. I hope they have pushed the arrival of your advanced vehicles to, "a cold day in hell." I don't want to play ARMA with Zombies.   

Fully agree with that. But before cars and trucks I place horses and motorbikes since these will be pretty common and have that post-SHTF feel to them.

Of course you could debate whether it would be a simple thing to catch and tame a horse to the point of riding it right away. But I like the idea of riding a horse in a world gone to crap far better than fixing a car. Besides that, a few years after the collapse of society, ordinary gas would be useless. I don't know about diesel though. Diesel is said to last for years by some people.

• Like 1

I want the vehicles not for the need of traveling faster trough the map on itself, i want the vehicles mostly for the following reasons:

- Having vehicles will make people stop camping so much has they will be they will be searching, and fighting over vehicles.

- Will make people much more aware of the surroundings, i mean sometimes you can pass trough people and not even notice them, its just normal, but it will be impossible to miss someone coming on a noisy vehicle, i think this will make alot of interesting situations

But have some beans anyway :beans:

Yup no helicopters unless they have the super hard and complex flight model from exp on Arma 3 and even then maybe 3 or 4 in the hive total.

Ideally no helos at all though.

• Like 1

Sorry but a lot of things are delayed. Barricading was supposed to start showing up by October and I don't think that will happen either. I think the recent decision to rebuild the engine heavily will delay everything a lot. It's the right move, but they should have known they would need to rebuild the whole engine even before the launch of the stand alone.

• Like 2

Yup no helicopters unless they have the super hard and complex flight model from exp on Arma 3 and even then maybe 3 or 4 in the hive total.

I agree 100%, "Ideally no helos at all though." 

And it would seem appropriate for the helicopter to require 3x or 4x as much time undergoing maintenance than flying. Imagine 15 min of game time spent flying around requiring 45 to 60 minutes of game time re-torquing and rewiring nuts and who knows how much time will be needed to find parts that have hit the far end of the bathtub and are ready to fail. And as you said a complex flight model would be required. Helicopter training programs have a very high washout rate. It should be more trouble than its worth.

The owner of that helicopter should be equipped with a:

• wrench,

• role of high carbon steel wire,

• a pair of pliers,

• a set of allen keys,
• a Phillips screwdriver,
• a flat tip scredriver,
• a pop rivet gun,
• various special tools,
• a set of test kits for the avionics systems,
• and a thick repair manual for the chopper you have!
a207919140f2398bcc9017_l.jpg

I think in short order the chopper would make a fine conversation piece as its rots away.
Edited by Xbow

I hope as far as they go is bicycles, shitty cars, beat up light trucks, a few small rowboats,and some rubber boats with tiny engines.

This is what I hope vehicles will be like: (If you've ever seen "The Road", you'll recognize this)

Road_truckGang.jpg?itok=iirFF1MQ

Edited by SomeCallMeNomad
  • Like 4

I don't want to play ARMA with Zombies.  

I completely agree with Xbow on this one, excluding aircraft from SA i think would be a wise decision. Planes and helo's make the map seem WAY to small, and imo dont really add much other then a cool factor. but for the overall health of the game i think they should be left out imo.

• Like 1

Fully agree with that. But before cars and trucks I place horses and motorbikes since these will be pretty common and have that post-SHTF feel to them.

Of course you could debate whether it would be a simple thing to catch and tame a horse to the point of riding it right away. But I like the idea of riding a horse in a world gone to crap far better than fixing a car. Besides that, a few years after the collapse of society, ordinary gas would be useless. I don't know about diesel though. Diesel is said to last for years by some people.

Well if it's a good diesel engine you can theoretically run it on a rather broad range of clarified oils. Linseed, sunflower, corn and even bean/soy... not that i want to be farming corn, boiling oil and straining it through several degrees of sieve.  Would cut down your lifespan i'd expect, and busted ass abandoned vehicles may not like you very much for feeding it to them but hey.

I've heard rumor of some trucks being run off crude... that shit would clog up your filters quicksmart but you'd get some grunt out of it for sure.

• Like 1

shitty cars, beat up light trucks

I really really want to ride around with friends in some old beat up toyota truck and do some drivebys.

I imagine being able to shoot from the vehicles will be overlooked.

• Like 1

This is what I hope vehicles will be like: (If you've ever seen "The Road", you'll recognize this)

That would be acceptable and as ColonelBurton said fuel will turn to shit very quickly and people will have to have:

stills to make wood alcohol fuel

OR

build wood gas generators to run their vehicles.

OR

access to a big pile of shit to scavenge methane

Wood_gasifier_on_epa_tractor.jpg

I imagine it would be quite a job  keeping a vehicle running and topped off. And how horrible it would be for the owner and his cronies to see his ride riddled and set on fire. Those of us that find vehicles, speed boats, and helicopters objectionable will form the 1st Luddite Regiment and Burn Baby Burn!!!  

• Like 2

I really really want to ride around with friends in some old beat up toyota truck and do some drivebys.

One would hope that one of the primary purposes of a post apoc vehicle would not be overlooked. I am sure that at the very minimum the passengers, and a couple of guys in the bed of the truck could fire 

Sorry but a lot of things are delayed. Barricading was supposed to start showing up by October and I don't think that will happen either. I think the recent decision to rebuild the engine heavily will delay everything a lot. It's the right move, but they should have known they would need to rebuild the whole engine even before the launch of the stand alone.

True, but I actually do believe that the possibilities for the game development largely increased by the huge sales, PS4, ... . I can only guess that some things can now get attention that were not possible before. And then there is the thing that the only software projects I have seen finish in the planned time and man hours are...hm...there are none...

That would be acceptable and as ColonelBurton said fuel will turn to shit very quickly and people will have to have:

stills to make wood alcohol fuel

OR

build wood gas generators to run their vehicles.

OR

access to a big pile of shit to scavenge methane

Wood_gasifier_on_epa_tractor.jpg

I imagine it would be quite a job  keeping a vehicle running and topped off. And how horrible it would be for the owner and his cronies to see his ride riddled and set on fire. Those of us that find vehicles, speed boats, and helicopters objectionable will form the 1st Luddite Regiment and Burn Baby Burn!!!  

Beans for the pic!

But you know very well that pooping removed was from the planned features after the devs got the idea that all the fresh spawns would paint the roads between Svetlo and Electro brown for lulz. No piles of shit, stop your plans of glorious gas production!

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 2

True, but I actually do believe that the possibilities for the game development largely increased by the huge sales, PS4, ... . I can only guess that some things can now get attention that were not possible before. And then there is the thing that the only software projects I have seen finish in the planned time and man hours are...hm...there are none...

Beans for the pic!

But you know very well that pooping removed was from the planned features after the devs got the idea that all the fresh spawns would paint the roads between Svetlo and Electro brown for lulz. No piles of shit, stop your plans of glorious gas production!

Actually, Zeds could be a source of fuel! Kill them and transport them to an industrial sized pressure cooker that can reach 500 psi, batten down the pressure hatch and render them down into bio diesel.

have some beans :beans:  

• Like 1

snip

Vybor Vandals: coming to a garage near you.

I'll streak your car with my keys you bourgeois pigs!  Embrace the stone age! one of us. one of us. one of us. one of us.

• Like 1

Vybor Vandals: coming to a garage near you.

I'll streak your car with my keys you bourgeois pigs!  Embrace the stone age! one of us. one of us. one of us. one of us.

A thought like that requires a reward of Beans!! :beans:

Shooting from vehicles is coming to arma 3 in an upcoming update.

That might suggest dayz eventually gets the same treatment.

3-4 on an entire hive would be a bit too unforgiving, because if they change the flight controls from arma (which i hope they do, that way you need to train to become a pilot, and a group could have a trained guy) you'd have your heli, and crash it by accident, like your dayz crashes = 100 hours of building heli gone instantly, you'd be able to sell your heli on ebay for thousands of dollars, would be a kind of odd system,

if hive you mean private hives, this will be a far better system, if by hives you mean the hives now, that will be not even worth trying to build a heli, it would be better selling the virtual parts of the heli on ebay.

I do miss the old bike...smashing up a lonely road to the north, finding the highest peak, flying down through the pine forest in first person,bouncing like crazy, can't see shit andddd ringing that bell!

Cars, tractors, soft tops are acceptable. So long as the old bike is about I've had to many epics on that thing.

I'm surprised that people flat out don't want helos. In the end I'm be happy with or without but I feel like helos are justified in zombie and dayz lore.

As for armoured vehicles. Perhaps this will prove controversial but if there are disused civilian vehicles why not military? I feel as though these would be far more crew-able and available in some post society situation than aircraft. But what limits? Did they have mounted weapons? Does this call for hard counters ie: rockets?.

Hearing the low growl of a big diesel engine that isn't going to fold to a few bullets in the engine block would be a game changer. It would definitely add some terror. So much classic apocalyptic canon involves restored war machines of a bygone era.

Edited by Trizzo
  • Like 1

3-4 on an entire hive would be a bit too unforgiving, because if they change the flight controls from arma (which i hope they do, that way you need to train to become a pilot, and a group could have a trained guy) you'd have your heli, and crash it by accident, like your dayz crashes = 100 hours of building heli gone instantly, you'd be able to sell your heli on ebay for thousands of dollars, would be a kind of odd system,

if hive you mean private hives, this will be a far better system, if by hives you mean the hives now, that will be not even worth trying to build a heli, it would be better selling the virtual parts of the heli on ebay.

Why even bother with helicopters?   What do they really add to the game? To be realistic in lieu of a genuine supply chain keeping one running would be a titanic pain in the arse as it should be. And the maintenance cycle would be continuous. With all the logistical power of the US Military you can count on 10% to 20% of your birds being safety dead-lined or hard down waiting parts at any given time. And what happens when a turbine sucks up some dirt and FODs out and needs a new compressor? Or takes a bullet in the compressor? If maintenance isn't 100% even short hops would be a serious risk to the flight crew and shooters on board. A good chopper pilot might be able to auto-rotate and get on the ground safely if he can maintain the kinetic energy in the rotors for that dramatic flair before touch down but if he screws up just a little bit its smack down and crash and burn time. So if someone really wants a helicopter have it and the endless problems the ownership of one presents.  

FOD = Foreign Object Damage   

[edit] Trizzo wrote, "Now armoured vehicles is a separate discussion...highly controversial perhaps. If there are disused civilian vehicles why not military? I feel as though these would be far more crew-able and available in some post society situation than aircraft.

No doubt they are easier to operate than a chopper but like a helicopter tracked and heavy wheeled vehicles are maintenance intensive but they do make more sense than helicopters. I wish I had a $10.00 bill for every time my M1A1 took a shit on me and kept me up all night fixing the damn thing (Loved it). A Humvee or MRAP would be the best choice. 

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 2

Why even bother with helicopters?   What do they really add to the game? To be realistic in lieu of a genuine supply chain keeping one running would be a titanic pain in the arse as it should be. And the maintenance cycle would be continuous. With all the logistical power of the US Military you can count on 10% to 20% of your birds being safety dead-lined or hard down waiting parts at any given time. And what happens when a turbine sucks up some dirt and FODs out and needs a new compressor? Or takes a bullet in the compressor? If maintenance isn't 100% even short hops would be a serious risk to the flight crew and shooters on board. A good chopper pilot might be able to auto-rotate and get on the ground safely if he can maintain the kinetic energy in the rotors for that dramatic flair before touch down but if he screws up just a little bit its smack down and crash and burn time. So if someone really wants a helicopter have it and the endless problems the ownership of one presents.  

FOD = Foreign Object Damage   

[edit] Trizzo wrote, "Now armoured vehicles is a separate discussion...highly controversial perhaps. If there are disused civilian vehicles why not military? I feel as though these would be far more crew-able and available in some post society situation than aircraft.

No doubt they are easier to operate than a chopper but like a helicopter tracked and heavy wheeled vehicles are maintenance intensive but they do make more sense than helicopters. I wish I had a $10.00 bill for every time my M1A1 took a shit on me and kept me up all night fixing the damn thing (Loved it). A Humvee or MRAP would be the best choice. 

this is why having more per hive is better, because you have to wage risk and reward, a heli might be one of those things an organized group holds onto, and doesn't quite use, unless in a squad battle, where having a heli is actually a good idea (for extreme quick travel) i do agree though with your points, id like land vehicles to be the main deal, but having a built heli is one of those last things that the dayz mod had, and it's an unforgettable experience.

i think you also said earlier you would want more civilian vehicles, and not military ( i think, otherwise that goes to the person who did say that) which i agree to an extent, but i think organized groups should be able to make a military vehicle, or a ghetto-welded gunner on the back of their pickup truck or something, would be awesome to see a squad battle like that :)

5bcaba45f40ee5300751d525fe9cccd237427180

that way you can tell a clan-build car from a disorganized group's or a single person's car

3151717873_60972aca1d.jpg

and i know the audio is disgusting for this video, i would recommend you muting it

showing off the ghetto-welded machine gun.

Edited by over9000nukez
  • Like 1

this is why having more per hive is better, because you have to wage risk and reward, a heli might be one of those things an organized group holds onto, and doesn't quite use, unless in a squad battle, where having a heli is actually a good idea (for extreme quick travel) i do agree though with your points, id like land vehicles to be the main deal, but having a built heli is one of those last things that the dayz mod had, and it's an unforgettable experience.

i think you also said earlier you would want more civilian vehicles, and not military ( i think, otherwise that goes to the person who did say that) which i agree to an extent, but i think organized groups should be able to make a military vehicle, or a ghetto-welded gunner on the back of their pickup truck or something, would be awesome to see a squad battle like that :)

The bottom line for DayZ is "here is what is available do what you want" so I am in no way going to go against that. So if a group  sends out a half a dozen hombres out hunting:

•helicopter avionics repair kits, •fuel •helicopter engine repair kits or whatever I have no problem with it. However, it should be tough enough to require a group to collect all the items required to make the bird operational and keep it flying otherwise it would take forever.

I could see some good battles between the guys with a chopper and the guys that want to deprive them of it..that would be fun on either end. My only concern is to make it hard enough to acquire and maintain a chopper so that no one or two players can do it all...and what a risk it would be to train the primary pilot and co-pilot.

The group with a chopper  would have to have a compound and a ground vehicle or two to go out and get what is needed. However with belt fed machine gun armed ground vehicles and helicopters you would have to make belt fed weapons, RPG-7s, Molotov Cocktails, Plastic Explosives and craft-able command detonated IEDs, 12.7mml AA MGs and the rare man portable Stinger and SA-7 AA missiles available to all players.

There could be some crazy ground fights like this one: 

have some beans... :beans:

Edited by Xbow