Sign in to follow this  
Act III

Once DayZ is complete; Will it require studying?

One makes it so a 12 year can headshot you within seconds of seeing you from 1400m.

The other requires you use your past game experience and real world knowledge some simple math skills to set up dope for your rifle.

I think that's a little off topic. The OP isn't talking about the depth of the arms simulations, they are talking about whether someone will be able to discover certain things about the game on their own. Its a very valid concern and certainly has nothing to do with a user created mod designed to expand sniping in ARMA.

On topic: I'd like to think people would be able to walk into DayZ in its finished form and think "Hey, I have a knife, I have a rifle, I bet I can shoot that deer and get some meat. I bet I can even use its pelt for something like a shirt or a pack. I need to cut down some wood so I can cook the food. Hmm I have some seeds and a hoe, I bet I can create a farm and crow some food too. I found a spark plug, I bet I can put it in a car and start fixing it up." However with how connected the world is today, its not hard to imagine someone alt+tabbing, hitting up a wiki, seeing a section for farming, and figuring it out like that. Plus, with such an extensive early access period with these sorts of features being implemented in the public eye, there's going to be extensive material on how they work. One of the biggest earners and topics for DayZ streamers and YouTubers is covering the development cycle and dissecting the new features as they come out.

Failure is the best teacher.

NO.........chicken tacos are the best teacher.

By studying, I mean:

Will one need to read through the Wiki page? Or will every mechanic be intuitive?

I love the progress that has been made on DayZ so far, and some of the upcoming features (such as gardening) look fantastic! I am just concerned whether or not I will be missing out/unaware of many of the game's features if I were to not play until beta/full release.

What do you guys think?

I think it would be great if a new player can pick up the game, explore and do shit intuitively.

What's wrong with discovering stuff as you play?

• Like 1

I think there will be and should be a combination of different skills that you will learn and pick up on...

1. Basic survival skills, you should have to apply common sense and learn what works and doesn't work through trial and error.. Same with loot areas, etc.. Nothing should be "spelled out" for you within the game itself. Certain things, like tearing your shirt into rags just come with experience and they're pretty obvious, but it may take a life or two for a very new beginner to figure it out.. Nothing wrong with that.

2. More advanced information like where to find the BEST loot and how to procure more high-end gear and more advanced survival techniques will either come with experience, or through a tutorial video..

3. The deep mechanics of the game just come with experience.

4. Teamplay tactics and strategy will obviously come with experience and possibly through tutorials, etc.

DayZ (and most video games that I enjoy for that matter) are quite a bit like Billards, Chess, Bowling, Poker, etc.. They're games of skill. Easy to learn, difficult to master. That should be what most game developers strive for in game design. (After all, the games I listed have survived for a LONG time..)

I have over 290 hours in this game. I've massacred clans huddled in barracks, been the salvation of new spawns running from axe wielding psychopaths, have destroyed countless members of the walking dead, I've memorized half the map, know all the weapons, ammo, and good clothing spawns, and actively keep up with this game's development. 

Two days ago I discovered that I could double click on items and they are put into my inventory automatically

2vv0kXY.gif?1

Edited by Rags
  • Like 1

I have over 290 hours in this game. I've massacred clans huddled in barracks, been the salvation of new spawns running from axe wielding psychopaths, have destroyed countless members of the walking dead, I've memorized half the map, know all the weapons, ammo, and good clothing spawns, and actively keep up with this game's development. 

Two days ago I discovered that I could double click on items and they are put into my inventory automatically

2vv0kXY.gif?1

Haha it always annoys me when I watch DayZ videos and I see players dragging items one by one to their inventory.

Edited by solodude23

I can't believe nobody has dropped this link yet. 

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Main_Page

No doubt, you're thinking about DayZ when your not playing it. You might think of an item and what it can do.. what weapon can take what clip, what bullet and attachment... what can you do with pelts.. knives, tools.. Just before or after you play DayZ... browse the page to either get in the mood or cool down.