Zee_Panda

Listening skills...

in the end you got a free weapon!

sometimes people not listening is a good reason for them to get darwined

our group always takes hostages whenever possible, even when they have a gun, and sometimes we have those really ballsy people who think they can 1v5 a group that's fully loaded ,with just his little self. its nice to get that gear sometimes, its an unwanted reward, but still.

My point is that you can play for exaple medic without guns and be good at it.

A medic still needs to understand and put into practice some fundamental skills of not getting shot in the face.

*I* never equated "being good" to being a good shot. You did that. There are a lot of factors which go into being a good DayZ player, which is what separates it from most FPS games.

• Like 2

not entirely true man!! i have had fuc#ers who talked to me friendly, and he was waiting for his friend to come by

the strange thing is he had bullets in his sks, his friend had a revolver only i think

i think he just wanted to make sure he could bring me down being both trying to

he sounded friendly until both started shooting lol

(and i did make it out of that alive, FNX is quite good when you want to spray bullets, ruined everything they had but backed out alive)

Good Job!  I've had the same 'game' played on me many times. But, after getting killed and wounded by 'friendly players' a number of times I learned my lesson. Now when confronted by any stranger I look to break contact immediately if possible otherwise I start shooting and drop the guy like a bad habit and haul ass.

Even trying to help another player is dangerous. I shot a crew of four Zombies off a new spawn  that had a motorcycle helmet a burlap sack, a plaid shirt and a pipe wrench. I moved up dropped a bandage and told that I would cover him while he bandaged up. He bandaged up and moved towards me. I told him to keep his distance but he kept coming closer so I shot him in the face with my FNX and hauled ass. Had he followed my instructions about keeping his distance I would have dropped a sawed off shotgun and a box of shotgun shells that I wanted to get rid of in the middle of the road and  hauled ass before he picked them up.

What exactly is a "good player" in DayZ. 

If you understand how the game world works, what do do and what not to do and know your way around the different areas in the map, you're a pretty "good player" in Dayz.

xSmaK plays softcore, makes him not worth my time. Peeking over walls like a noob. Sacriel might be better. 

There are some good players out there that prefer secrecy though. I'm kinda pissed about the damn streamers giving away all their locations. And not only that but I experienced that people dress like the damn streamers. For instance people running around with baseball caps now. My squad did that since releaseday, and now more and more people do it, because the streamers do. Pisses me off.

Also Benedictus, if you think there are no good players simply because there are no public means to show that off, i question your sanity. There are plenty skills you can have in dayz that don't involve shooting. I'd even invite a guy to my squad who just watches, is good at it and provides the rest of the team information, even if he is a bad shot.

And ontopic: It's all about trust issues and not about them being unable to listen to you. Trust is the most valuable thing in dayz as it's scarce.

Edited by Khanarac

I can understand his attempt to shoot you, I have been approached by many people claiming to be friendly, but as soon as I stand still they then put a bullet in my face. I guess its a stratagem to make you stand still so they can cleanly kill you. (and thus get loot)

But he wasn't moving, he was drinking when I made contact. Easy shot.

Couple DayZ ago I was chilling in good ol' Novo, looking to have some player interactions. Meet 4 guys. 3 semi kitted guys and a fairly new spawn. 2 of the guys had guns. And so did I. But we called friendly and did our own thing, no problem. I'm not into killing but I saw a guy drinking a pipsi, I thought this is my chance to make contact. He had a weapon out so while he was drinking was my safest option, I called out " yo man, friendly?" he calmly replies "yeah dude just looting up". Seeing as I had the drop on him and im the exposed, I said quite firmly "put the weapon away man. just wanna talk" He proceeds to do so. I come out of my hiding corner and show myself. I showed myself and he put his weapon away. Everythings okay. I have my weapon lowered (Crossbow) But still inline with his head if he tried anything, and what do you know he did. Pulled out the weapon, aimed it towards me. In a split second, i raised my crossbow and swiftly and cleanly finished him to the head.

Why do people not understand what friendly is. I'm the one who talked, I had no intentions of harm, If I wanted to kill you, I would have done so. Peek corner, aim, fire, unpeek. Done. But no people think they are some fucking 1337 quickscopers. Moral of this? -LISTEN!

(Might not make much sense but fuck you.) <3

Love what you done.

By the way the only thing i can suggest to you is that you can declare yourself friendly only if you are in number superiority to those you are going to, or surprise them while they are doing something.... Otherwise there's a 30% chance you gonna live.

This because the game mechanics are still to be reworked, because game is free to play without having any consequences and also because many players don't know how to roleplay... from those continue stating don't want a log in sounds, ghosts and server hopping,  till those that clone their stuff...they are reckless people, without using the word stupid.

3 days ago i was camping on Turovo, we were 2 guys and we saw 4 players from a clan that were cloning their stuff, Inside the Pub on a 40 people server?....off course we shoot at 2 of them before server restart so they lost their stuff from the major players they wanted to clone.

A demonstration that most of the people are not only stupids ....oh pardon, reckless by cloning their stuff, but horribly nuts to do it in a point of interests in a fully populated server.

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 1

There are a lot of factors which go into being a good DayZ player, which is what separates it from most FPS games.

Thats what I was going after for.

xSmaK plays softcore, makes him not worth my time. Peeking over walls like a noob. Sacriel might be better. 

There are some good players out there that prefer secrecy though. I'm kinda pissed about the damn streamers giving away all their locations. And not only that but I experienced that people dress like the damn streamers. For instance people running around with baseball caps now. My squad did that since releaseday, and now more and more people do it, because the streamers do. Pisses me off.

Also Benedictus, if you think there are no good players simply because there are no public means to show that off, i question your sanity. There are plenty skills you can have in dayz that don't involve shooting. I'd even invite a guy to my squad who just watches, is good at it and provides the rest of the team information, even if he is a bad shot.

And ontopic: It's all about trust issues and not about them being unable to listen to you. Trust is the most valuable thing in dayz as it's scarce.

F-trust.  Nothing gets results like cold hard fear.  And if they're all sold out, offer them some lead!

Interaction starts and stops at the end of a barrel, and anyone who tells you otherwise is chewing on worms.

• Like 1

A few facts:

-The Original DayZ mod was "Softcore"

-When they add vehicles, the majority of this community that went to Hardcore, is going back to Softcore.

Never watched much of Sacriel but from what I have seen he usually travels with a group of players, where-as Smak is usually alone.. Sacriel is also more of a bandit, where Smak usually tries to talk to people.. 

I'm not trying to be a Smak fanboi here, just be honest.. he's literally the ONLY streamer that I can stand watching and one of the few who's youtube videos I am actually impressed by. That, and he's as nice as they come.

Edited by Etherimp

The mod had not as many opportunities to hide in buildings though. I played DayZero, which already had 1st person only. And why would I go back to lame combat just because of vehicles, when I can have proper combat AND vehicles? What could possibly get me going back to noobish wallpeeking and campers on firestation roofs and appartments, that can't be detected unless they show themselves to shoot me?

Edited by Khanarac

What could possibly get me going back to noobish wallpeeking and campers on firestation roofs and appartments, that can't be detected unless they show themselves to shoot me?

What kind of horrible ass snipers do you have on first person?  Do they just stand in open windows waving flags around?  You act like it is impossible to shot someone while their target it completely unaware unless you are peeking around a wall...

Third person is for noobs and wall peekers.

People who cry about 3rd person are usually the noobs actually. I play on hardcore as well, and am doing a new series on my YouTube for hard core play. But this whole attitude that only noobs play 3rd person has got to go. My choice or preference in 3rd or 1st person does not make me a good or bad player. When you've won money in LAN tournaments and competed against the best FPS players in the world, then you can call me bad. Until then, I'll wreck you no matter what camera perspective you want to use.

• Like 1

The mod had not as many opportunities to hide in buildings though. I played DayZero, which already had 1st person only. And why would I go back to lame combat just because of vehicles, when I can have proper combat AND vehicles? What could possibly get me going back to noobish wallpeeking and campers on firestation roofs and appartments, that can't be detected unless they show themselves to shoot me?

Simple fact of the matter is that driving vehicles in first person is fucking painful. That's why BF3 allowed you to switch to 3rd person while in vehicles. That's the same reason grand theft auto is 3rd person.

Mark my words, when vehicles are released this whole bias against 3pp is going to evaporate real quick and hardcore servers are gonna die.

Simple fact of the matter is that driving vehicles in first person is fucking painful. That's why BF3 allowed you to switch to 3rd person while in vehicles. That's the same reason grand theft auto is 3rd person.

Mark my words, when vehicles are released this whole bias against 3pp is going to evaporate real quick and hardcore servers are gonna die.

That's crap, I drove in first person in the mod, even on 3rd person servers,it's fun as fuck. 

edit - Hopefully with SA we can expect a bit better utility in first person vehicles, such as leaning and fully functioning mirrors to allow better visibility than just drivers seat headrest. 

Edited by Capo
  • Like 1

That's crap, I drove in first person in the mod, even on 3rd person servers,it's fun as fuck.

edit - Hopefully with SA we can expect a bit better utility in first person vehicles, such as leaning and fully functioning mirrors to allow better visibility than just drivers seat headrest.

Please explain why bf3, GTA, and most driving simulators and racing games allow you to go 3rd person?

Simple - PCs and gaming consoles cannot properly simulate human vision.

You may have driven in 1st person but if you honestly prefer it that way then you're in a very small minority.

For the record, I'd be fine with dayz going completely 1st person on ALL servers, as long as they allow us to toggle to 3rd when driving.

Edited by Etherimp

Shacktac seems to make do with first-person only vehicles.

Please explain why bf3, GTA, and most driving simulators and racing games allow you to go 3rd person?

Simple - PCs and gaming consoles cannot properly simulate human vision.

You may have driven in 1st person but if you honestly prefer it that way then you're in a very small minority.

For the record, I'd be fine with dayz going completely 1st person on ALL servers, as long as they allow us to toggle to 3rd when driving.

Sorry bro, DayZ is not a racing game or a driving simulator. Never has been, never will be. But I wouldn't mind third person for vehicles only. 

You act as if people are going to buy this game just to drive cars or something. 

Edited by generalkayoss

Sorry bro, DayZ is not a racing game or a driving simulator. Never has been, never will be. But I wouldn't mind third person for vehicles only.

You act as if people are going to buy this game just to drive cars or something.

Nobody said or suggested DayZ is a driving simulator. Let me say this again: MOST GAMES THAT HAVE VEHICLES ALLOW YOU TO GO 3rd PERSON BECAUSE PCS CANNOT PROPERLY SIMULATE HUMAN SIGHT/VISION.

Arma = 3rd person.

DayZ mod = 3rd person

Battlefield = 3rd person in vehicles

None of those games are driving simulators and all 3 have 3rd person as an option for a reason.

Furthermore I'm not sure how long you've played DayZ or been around this community but one of the biggest issues that the community nags the dev team about is vehicles.

When we getting vehicles?

Where's the vehicles?

When can we expect them?

Can we at least get a bike?

So while you may not see vehicles as a priority or even a focus of the game, I'd say a good majority of the community feels differently.

• Like 1

Nobody said or suggested DayZ is a driving simulator. Let me say this again: MOST GAMES THAT HAVE VEHICLES ALLOW YOU TO GO 3rd PERSON BECAUSE PCS CANNOT PROPERLY SIMULATE HUMAN SIGHT/VISION.

Arma = 3rd person.

DayZ mod = 3rd person

Battlefield = 3rd person in vehicles

None of those games are driving simulators and all 3 have 3rd person as an option for a reason.

Furthermore I'm not sure how long you've played DayZ or been around this community but one of the biggest issues that the community nags the dev team about is vehicles.

When we getting vehicles?

Where's the vehicles?

When can we expect them?

Can we at least get a bike?

So while you may not see vehicles as a priority or even a focus of the game, I'd say a good majority of the community feels differently.

I get what you're saying as far as third person and vehicles are concerned. I agree with you there.

What I don't agree with, and this is purely my own personal preference, is third person in relation to the realism aspect of what is supposed to be a zombie survival simulation. Yes, I said simulation. Because that's the vision Rocket and most of the rest of the community have for this game, i would think you agree? Third person completely ruins that aspect for me. Especially when in combat.

To each their own I guess.

But thank gawwwd for hawwwdcore! lol

Edited by generalkayoss

I get what you're saying as far as third person and vehicles are concerned. I agree with you there.

What I don't agree with. and this is purely my own personal preference, is third person in relation to the realism aspect of what is supposed to be a zombie survival simulation. Yes, I said simulation. Because that's the vision Rocket and most of the rest of the community have for this game, i would think you agree? Third person completely ruins that aspect for me. Especially when in combat.

To each their own I guess.

But thank gawwwd for hawwwdcore! lol

I come from a FPS background. Q2, mechwarrior2, CS, CSS, UT, BF, etc. I was weirded out by 3pp when I first started playing the mod because it required a certain awareness and skill set that I wasn't accustomed to.

After over a year of playing the mod and playing SA since release, I am much more comfortable with 3pp but as I said above, I'm fine with hardcore as well and I get a little frustrated when people on these forums flame "softcore" or "babycore" as they call it and thus lump everyone who plays in that mode together as being "bad" players.

Its a ridiculous bias and you can see it in this thread. Fact is you cannot say someone is a bad player cuz they play 3pp no more than you can say someone is a good player for playing hardcore.

Furthermore, here's the thing that nobody here is talking about and you won't see people defend my statement here but as someone with 20 years of FPS experience I can say this with conviction:

Playing 3rd person requires a different set of skills and dying to a rooftop camper who exploited 3rd person against you can be frustrating for new players, but the better you get at 3pp the more you learn to adjust your playstyle to counter those campers and/or exploit it yourself.

Some people don't like it because they feel its not fair and I can understand and respect that, but the reality is that you can get GOOD at 3pp and it DOES require not more but DIFFERENT skills that some people have and others refuse to build.

Point being, let's stop flaming 3pp. As I said I'd be happy if DayZ went full 1pp locked on all servers and just allowed us to go 3rd person in vehicles. I don't think most of the community would have a problem with that.

What kind of horrible ass snipers do you have on first person?  Do they just stand in open windows waving flags around?  You act like it is impossible to shot someone while their target it completely unaware unless you are peeking around a wall...

You obviously have hardly played the game. Otherwise you'd know that if you run around on the airfield alone or with 2 people only and suddenly a sniper rises on the ATC or Firestationtower unexpected, you basicly are fucked if they are any good. One of your guys is going to die. They spotted you while you could not hope to spot them, via 3rd person.

3rd person basicly is the campers best friend.

To Etherimp.

As for countering campers I call bullshit on that. If your camper knows what he is doing, you are required to storm his building and we know how that will turn out. Let's say he is in the ATC on the NWA. Either you die approaching the ATC when he suddenly stands up and shoots you while doing so, or you and him are going to die in the shitty closecombat desync of dayz. In 1st person he can't know where you approach the ATC from, unless he exposes himself, leveling the playingfield.

Also 3rd person is basicly about luck. If you are lucky enough to be in a situation where you can exploit 3rd person and your enemy is not, you win by default. For instance, I see someone, being at the short corner of a building where I can peek, he is at the long corner, where he can't. Not realising that I see him and we are only 6 meters away from eachother. And he never had the chance to spot me because I'm completly covered by the building we are both leaning to.

Also, I'd be okay if the vehicles allowed 3rd person. For the simple fact that they fucked up 1st person vehicles in the mod and are going to do so here again. Non-functional mirrows, too high or too low seat positions while in the car

Etherimp, respect to you for presenting valid arguments, even if our positions are diffent. I'm glad you didn't throw bullshit at me like it was thrown on you "dayz is not a racing game, duh!" <--this shitty kind of argument I am tired to read.

Edited by Khanarac

You obviously have hardly played the game. Otherwise you'd know that if you run around on the airfield alone or with 2 people only and suddenly a sniper rises on the ATC or Firestationtower unexpected, you basicly are fucked if they are any good. One of your guys is going to die. They spotted you while you could not hope to spot them, via 3rd person.

3rd person basicly is the campers best friend.

As for countering campers I call bullshit on that. If your camper knows what he is doing, you are required to storm his building and we know how that will turn out. Let's say he is in the ATC on the NWA. Either you die approaching the ATC when he suddenly stands up and shoots you while doing so, or you and him are going to die in the shitty closecombat desync of dayz. In 1st person only he can't know where you approach the ATC from, unless he exposes himself, leveling the playingfield.

Also 3rd person is basicly about luck. If you are lucky enough to be in a situation where you can exploit 3rd person and your enemy is not, you win by default. For instance, I see someone, being at the short corner of a building where I can peek, he is at the long corner, where he can't. Not realising that I see him and we are only 6 meters away from eachother. And he never had the chance to spot me because I'm completly covered by the building we are both leaning to.

Also, I'd be okay if the vehicles allowed 3rd person. For the simple fact that they fucked up 1st person vehicles in the mod and are going to do so here again. Non-functional mirrows, too high or too low seat positions while in the car

See, the way you explained that makes sense, and you're right.... SORT of.. BUT.. I can tell you how to counter both situations:

1. Firestation roof does not have a ledge on the back side... If you run behind the wall of NWAF to behind the firestation you can see someone laying on the roof. 

2. ATC roof can also be spotted from a ways off.. Just go up on "sniper hill", it's about a 430 Meter shot and is easy as shit to hit with a Mosin. Every time I am up at NWAF, I PRAY for a camper to be sitting on the roof of the ATC.. He's an easy fucking kill.

3. You do not RUSH the ATC if you have campers sitting in it. You counter their camping with pinning them down inside of the ATC, pushing in slowly, then either Flashbanging, grenading, or exploiting 3pp yourself to see where they are laying prone on the top level ... If they are laying prone watching the stairs, the are a stationary target and you are not, you can run up the stairs and circle strafe around them shooting down and they can't do shit against you.

As I said in my post.. It's about developing a different set of skills to counter it.