kevinthegreat

Do you prefer fast zombies or slower zombies?

Do you prefer slower zombies (Romero zombies, Max Brooks' zombies, The Walking Dead zombies) or faster, more aggressive zombies (28 days later, World War Z movie)?

What do you think some zombie games today lack? What do you think would make games zombie games "better" than others?

Just curious, because I hear a lot of people (in various places) talking about how the zombie apocalypse genre is getting stale.

Slow, and loads of them, the danger should be the fact that you can't run forever. STAMINA. 

FUCKING ZOMBIES.

Not usain bolt. 

• Like 4

70% sprinters

20% shamblers

10% oddball (crawlers, hoppers, etc.)

Romero zombies are insanely boring. His type of approach to zombies, and the genre in general (no matter how seminal it was), will get no love from me.

Infected (28 Days Later) are much more terrifying in my opinion.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 7

Personally, I'd like a mix of them.  If there's only 'slow' ones they'll be dangerous only in hordes, which the  servers cannot handle yet.  That and you could literally just run through a small town dodging zombies to gear up, not even bothering to pull out an ax to deal with them.  Slow ones become slightly more dangerous when there's faster ones and you're trying to stealth.

• Like 3

Slow, and loads of them, the danger should be the fact that you can't run forever. STAMINA. 

FUCKING ZOMBIES.

Not usain bolt. 

I agree with this 100%.

Last night I noticed an uptick on speed, quantity, their eyesight (LOL!!!)  More zombies, less eyesight, more smell maybe...  IDK. but it sure was refreshing to worry more about zeds than humans at that point.  Before it was more like - "Oh, a zombie, but is there a 10 year old bandit behind him? XO"

There's also this misunderstanding that people seem to still endorse.

The illusion that you can't have sprinters and have numerous hordes of said sprinters.

Why yes, yes you can.

• Like 1

Fast zombies make no sense to me. If they can barely walk, and do so at a snails pace, why would they suddenly be able to sprint at incredible speeds?

Fast zombies make no sense to me. If they can barely walk, and do so at a snails pace, why would they suddenly be able to sprint at incredible speeds?

I don't sprint all of the time, do you?

Zombies shamble when inactive, then sprint when alerted.

Similar to how I don't sprint while waiting in line for coffee, and don't walk casually when getting chased by the police.

• Like 3

I want Walking Dead zombies. I think they key to making it work is giving zombies the ability to grab a player in close proximity.

I don't sprint all of the time, do you?

Zombies shamble when inactive, then sprint when alerted.

Similar to how I don't sprint while waiting in line for coffee, and don't walk casually when getting chased by the police.

I actually never sprint all day, who does?

There's a big difference between walking and stumbling around with poor motor skills. I just don't get how they can barely have the coordination to walk efficiently and then suddenly turn into world-class sprinters.

I actually never sprint all day, who does?

There's a big difference between walking and stumbling around with poor motor skills. I just don't get how they can barely have the coordination to walk efficiently and then suddenly turn into world-class sprinters.

Nobody, that's why it was rhetorical.

Last time I checked, the zombies in DayZ weren't world-class sprinters. They just keep up with the player. And last time I checked, they were a fictional interpretation/depiction. They can be however they want them to be.

Are people still under the impression that DayZ's zombies are "undead" vice infected human beings?

Edited by Katana67

Obviously I was slightly exaggerating about the world class stuff. Let's not lose our heads. It still makes no sense to me from a biomechanic/anatomical/whatever standpoint. It comes down to a simple question. If you can barely walk, then how can you sprint? It makes far more sense to keep them slow and in hordes.

I want diffrent height and weight zombies and players too. Zombies jsut so stupid is it really hard to make some of them taller or fatter , muscular or skinny ?

Edited by BugZ

I want diffrent height and weight zombies and players too. Zombies jsut so stupid is it really hard to make some of them taller or fatter , muscular or skinny ?

I want them to fix core mechanics first.  More diversity in zeds vs. they don't hit you when they are facing away or to the side....  more important?

• Like 3

If you can barely walk, then how can you sprint? It makes far more sense to keep them slow and in hordes.

Because they're zombies, and they're fictional, and can do whatever they want.

They're infected human beings, not decaying corpses. They have all of the physical faculties of a normal human being. They don't run like Usain Bolt in-game, in perfect form, they just run the best they can.

And I'm not sure how you're getting "they can barely walk," they just shamble around. They're not struggling. They're not tripping over themselves. They're just human beings who are not of sound mind, and are not in full control of the precision of their bodies, due to infection. When they see a stimulus, they run at it.

Not sure what the issue is.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

I want them to fix core mechanics first.  More diversity in zeds vs. they don't hit you when they are facing away or to the side....  more important?

Yes thats already known issue. Devs should know mechanics issues about zeds. I think they are not that stupid  to think that we will accept zombies like how their mechanics now. But I guess they will not add diffrent kind of zombies and players so thats why I wanted mention that. They already added zombie with diffrent face but body shape exacly same with other male zombie, thats what I dont like. :facepalm:

Because they're zombies, and they're fictional, and can do whatever they want.

They're infected human beings, not decaying corpses. They have all of the physical faculties of a normal human being. They don't run like Usain Bolt in-game, in perfect form, they just run the best they can.

And I'm not sure how you're getting "they can barely walk," they just shamble around. They're not struggling. They're not tripping over themselves. They're just human beings who are not of sound mind, and are not in full control of the precision of their bodies, due to infection. When they see a stimulus, they run at it.

Not sure what the issue is.

Damn straight. They aren't "superslow shambling undead beings from the depths of hell". They are your middle-aged neighbor, gone to fat. They are that old lady down the street. They are people, with all that implies.

I like The Last of Us style, where the majority are sprinters, but easy to kill, then there are the clickers, who are slower but harder to fight, and there are some fat wierd abominations from hell which are really hard to kill but rarer to find. Also that fungus shit is very nice Imo, looks very good and diferent.

Diferent enemies would do good for this game, but they already are working on hostile animals so we are going to have that, I think.

I think if they were slower but there were a lot more of them, it would give more of a survival feel.  I think you'd actually have to run away MORE.

As they are infected, not undead, I think faster movement suits the condition. I'd prefer them to be proper undead zombies though, slow and in much larger numbers ie. EVERYWHERE so strategy and planning becomes necessary...

When technology catches up and a suitable game is produced I'll be a happy bunny.

• Like 1