Sign in to follow this  
Cydone

"Vehicle component design"

From the 0.49 dev blog update they are talking about Vehicle component design.

Does anyone have an idea of how they will implement vehicles?

I hope to death, that I will not be able to find a brand new car and drive off.

I sincerely hope that you will need to find parts for it to work. At the very least you should need to find gas and oil, maybe tires. But more components would be nice. Like with guns, that you can add elements to it, to work better. And I want them to break down, and be fixable, but also possible to ruin..

Thoughts?

There was talk of needing to find things to fix them up and get them running. Iirc, rocket said something about helicopter rotor blades for example being limited in number so people would hear rumours about things being on certain servers and then hunt them down. Same as he said about certain bits of gear being limited across every server so guys that have them become figures of renown type thing.

Rocket already stated before that vehicles will be "end game" material. Vehicles will definitely need multiple parts to get it working. Once you get it working it will take quite a bit to maintain it. But do keep in mind that previously Rocket has stated that vehicles will be one of the last things implemented. I'm not sure if the road map changed, but I believe next patch will lay the foundation or be the initial implementation of vehicles, but vehicles themselves won't be implemented. But I could be wrong. At the most I can only see them implementing bicycles. 

The vehicle component system seems like it is intriguing a lot of people.

I guess certain things, like Oil filters could be added, since a car will not run without one and since they only fit a limited number of engine block types, they would be vehicle specific.

The opposite of the component scale would be parts like air filters, since vehicles can run without them and they can be 'bodged' to fit different engine types.  But they would enhance the reliability and life of the engine.  In the same way, lead-acid batteries would be universal. but heavy objects to carry around.

The other major items engines need, would be fuel, oil (which for scooters, etc, could be specific, like 2-stroke oil, for best results.) and, for larger vehicles, water for cooling.

Then, there would be aviation parts for helicopters which would make then very highly desirable....

A shrewd player could be making a lot of profit as a trader in future builds of Day Z, provided they do not get shot....

Really hope they don't make all tires universal. Always thought it was silly that the same tire that you fixed a Ural with could fix a bicycle.

• Like 1

Really hope they don't make all tires universal. Always thought it was silly that the same tire that you fixed a Ural with could fix a bicycle.

I highly doubt it. I.e. the weapon system is a good indicator. Not all scopes, ammo, etc are universal. So tires, air filters, oil, etc won't be either. But we'll find out sooner or later. 

The vehicle component system seems like it is intriguing a lot of people.

I guess certain things, like Oil filters could be added, since a car will not run without one and since they only fit a limited number of engine block types, they would be vehicle specific.

The opposite of the component scale would be parts like air filters, since vehicles can run without them and they can be 'bodged' to fit different engine types.  But they would enhance the reliability and life of the engine.  In the same way, lead-acid batteries would be universal. but heavy objects to carry around.

The other major items engines need, would be fuel, oil (which for scooters, etc, could be specific, like 2-stroke oil, for best results.) and, for larger vehicles, water for cooling.

Then, there would be aviation parts for helicopters which would make then very highly desirable....

A shrewd player could be making a lot of profit as a trader in future builds of Day Z, provided they do not get shot....

I think oil and air filters is getting a little too deep. I don't want to spend nights looking for the right piston rod bolts.  I think tires/fuel/batteries are good enough.

I think oil and air filters is getting a little too deep. I don't want to spend nights looking for the right piston rod bolts.  I think tires/fuel/batteries are good enough.

Not really, Rocket has spoke about even car doors, which will need to be collected. Filters will probably added as one of the parts needed.

As far as I know the first vehicles to be implemented will be bicycles.  And it does sound like we'll have to hunt down small parts (sparkplugs have been mentioned) though I'm not sure how 'intense' it'll get.  It sounds like we'll be able to remove parts from vehicles like doors.  IE you might be riding around in a running S1203 Van, see another van on the side of the road and notice one or two of the doors are in better condition or that the front windshield is intact.  So you pull over and remove the parts from that vehicle.  It might even be possible we'll be able to scavenge parts from the static wrecks we see scattered around and can loot from already.

Tires probably will be the first thing you need (as bicycles will most likely be our first mode of transportation)

I doubt any vehicle will have more than one tire on it that is "usable".

The mod had engine parts, fueltank parts, glass, and scrap metal for body repairs.

This will be more elaborate obviously but is a good guideline for those who never played the mod or got a vehicle up and running.

Also, you'll need gas. You'll also need a gas canister to hold said gas.

Just some food for thought.

Rocket has previously mentioned needing parts such as spark plugs and timing belts, etc.

Also be able to change out parts including body parts.

Edited by Grindstone

Seeing how rocket said that you'd even need to find the right engine spark plugs, having to find the right oil and air filters is hardly "getting a little too deep"

Especially the wheels.. fucking chicken wire fence with sticks can take out MRAP reinforced tires for gods sake.

I also really hope for a proper suspension and traction system. Not asking for a Racing simulator but Arma engine vehicles have a disgusting history of being stiff as hell and have 0 loss of traction/drift when turning at high speeds.

Edited by Chompster

If they don't have persistence working well first, collecting a shit load of parts in the current crappy loot spawn mechanics is gonna suck balls and not be worth it at all.

Two big things have to happen for vehicles to be an improvement from the mod in my opinion...

1. Parts can't be generic. No more generic "tires" that fit on everything from a rickety bicycle to a Ural. No more generic "engine parts" that can be applied to everything from a motorcycle to a UH-60.

2. They must be bereft of most parts upon spawning. No more M240s with a few respawning belts on helicopters by default. These items, in addition to basic items like engines, tires, and the like, must be found in the world.

There are also other aspects which are important, like having gasoline be a finite resource in DayZ (or dynamically allotted, which might be a good way of integrating the "loot management system").

That and decent camouflage options for vehicles are a must, real... customizable... player-created camouflage options. Ones that can be tailored to a specific location, as to not make one's truck stick out like a sore thumb.

They also need to revamp how damage is done to vehicles. The "insta-charcoal" effect of a vehicle's demise needs to be a seldom occurance. The last time I checked, cars didn't always burst into flames when they are disabled.

Similarly, the performance of vehicles needs to be varied so that off-road vehicles have an advantage (gasp) off-road. This was sort of the case in the mod, but it was purely based upon speed rather than handling.

Personally, I'd like to see some advantage to using a road (both on foot and in vehicles). Be it lessened tire wear (or, if you're on foot, slower footwear decay), or markedly increased speed, whatever. Roads should be choke points, and using them should be both advantageous and a vulnerability. There's no real incentive to use roads in DayZ, and a lot of cool player interactions (i.e. setting up roadblocks and checkpoints) are short-changed by this.

That and I'd like to see vehicle repair be less of an "action" and more of an "activity." I don't really like the approach of "click X to repair tire."

You should have to find a freakin' jack, pump that bitch up, take off the deflated tire, mount the new one, torque down the lugs, and set the vehicle back down again. It shouldn't just be a "clickable" action that you press one button, and your avatar just goes about fixing the vehicle automatically.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

If they don't have persistence working well first, collecting a shit load of parts in the current crappy loot spawn mechanics is gonna suck balls and not be worth it at all.

I have a feeling persistence will long be at a good/working stage by the time we get (car-like)vehicles..

I think oil and air filters is getting a little too deep. I don't want to spend nights looking for the right piston rod bolts.

+1

I hope to death, that I will not be able to find a brand new car and drive off.

Yeah well, we don't all share your opinion. It doesn't necessarily have to be mint condition, but a working vehicle only requiring fuel doesn't seem too farfetched in an apocalypse scenario. I don't see why every vehicle would be absolutely trashed and in need of repair.

Also, some of us don't really want to spend a fortnight fixing a car, picking up some friends, and then stashing it in the middle of the forest to log; only to log in and find the damn thing stolen immediately. I remember having to shoot out a tire and keep one in my backpack to prevent that kind of bs in the mod.

It would be preferable to have some private shards where vehicle population is dense, so it can speed up the pace of the game and tone down jogging simulator 2k14. No it doesn't need to be Nascar with zombies, but some Lingor servers I played on back in the days of DayZ mod had struck a good balance.

TL;DR: You can play on your servers where vehicles are the end-all of endgame, and I will play on mine where vehicles are mid-game material. We both are happy and our preferences of gameplay do not conflict.

Cheers.

Edited by bonesnap

I feel like if they make vehicles too hard to obtain, hardly anyone will bother. I mean you can traverse the map just fine on foot. Not that I wouldn't like to drive a car along these many many roads, but if I have to invest maybe thirty hours to get one working for an hour, I think I'd rather like to take a 'meh' approach to it xD

Edited by James Hawke

I feel like if they make vehicles too hard to obtain, hardly anyone will bother. I mean you can traverse the map just fine on foot. Not that I wouldn't like to drive a car along these many many roads, but if I have to invest maybe thirty hours to get one working for an hour, I think I'd rather like to take a 'meh' approach to it xD

I agree, a balance needs to be struck.  Especially when you're likely to just get the thing blown up or stolen.  They shouldn't be trivial but they should be worth the effort.

I agree, a balance needs to be struck.  Especially when you're likely to just get the thing blown up or stolen.  They shouldn't be trivial but they should be worth the effort.

Where game developer balancing doesn't meet a user's preference, mods will prevail. At least, I hope. B)

Well, the future is bright regardless. Def looking forward to vehicles!

Edited by bonesnap

I think you severely underestimate people.

Rocket already said cars would be a sort of "end game". Making them not so difficult to obtain seems a bit like throwing away the "end game".

Seeing how rocket said that you'd even need to find the right engine spark plugs, having to find the right oil and air filters is hardly "getting a little too deep"

Good grief.  Are we going to have to gap them too?

I think you severely underestimate people.

Rocket already said cars would be a sort of "end game". Making them not so difficult to obtain seems a bit like throwing away the "end game".

To be fair they were the end game in the mod.  In a game with hardly anything to do to begin with, end game doesn't mean much =P

You could consider an AKM the end game currently.