Animosh

What country is this game set in?

I have read that this game is set in Russia and also read it was the Czech Republic.

All the road signs and names of Stores/buildings are in Russian.

Yet all the books are in English. WtF gives on this oversight? Did an American library helicopter crash? Maybe America, instead of sending aid to help, sent books over then those are the helicopter crash sites?

It's set in a fictional world in a country named Chernarus. It's landscape however, is based off of the Northern section of the Czech Republic.

• Like 7

You're over thinking this.

You are in Chenarus, a Former Soviet Republic that is (mostly) Democratic.  It boarders Russia, and the terrain is made from satellite images of the Czech Republic.  You can find the exact area on Google (forget the town name), they just took the northern half of the map that was divided by a river.  They signs are in Crylic, which is used by many languages, not just Russian (kind of like how many languages use the latin alphabet).  The books are in english because that's what the source material was, there's a lot of books with french titles I haven't bothered to read so I would think they are in french.  When localization takes place these books will be translated (hopefully) to your local language.

I have read that this game is set in Russia and also read it was the Czech Republic.

All the road signs and names of Stores/buildings are in Russian.

Yet all the books are in English. WtF gives on this oversight? Did an American library helicopter crash? Maybe America, instead of sending aid to help, sent books over then those are the helicopter crash sites?

It would be painstaking to try and read every single book in Russian. Id just be chucking books at ppl if i cant read the damn things. Regardless of real world logic or not.

I've always found it horrendous to read signs in russian and use an online map to translate the name of towns, also people unable to tell their location and unable to read signs, especially new players. Bohemia Interactive is based in Czech Republic so that's probably why, but yeah it sucks to not be fully translated.

I've always found it horrendous to read signs in russian and use an online map to translate the name of towns, also people unable to tell their location and unable to read signs, especially new players. Bohemia Interactive is based in Czech Republic so that's probably why, but yeah it sucks to not be fully translated.

It's not fully translated for the sake of realism...

• Like 1

They should add a few token books and items in Chernarussian to frustrate both English and Russian players, since Chernarussian is the Czech language but written in Cyrillic.

• Like 3

It's not fully translated for the sake of realism...

A little bit of English written text isn't going to break the realism for me and I'd much prefer be able to use/read signs but I can see how people might want to go through the pain of trying to read those signs, might as well make everything else Russian too, food, items, everything should be russian then... get it really realistic, it's so stupid they drew the line at road signs...

A little bit of English written text isn't going to break the realism for me and I'd much prefer be able to use/read signs but I can see how people might want to go through the pain of trying to read those signs, might as well make everything else Russian too, food, items, everything should be russian then... get it really realistic, it's so stupid they drew the line at road signs...

Every can in the game has a Cyrillic name stamped on it's side. Besides, plenty of people including myself learned to read Cyrillic for DayZ.

• Like 1

Every can in the game has a Cyrillic name stamped on it's side. Besides, plenty of people including myself learned to read Cyrillic for DayZ.

I took russian lessons for fun and partially because of DayZ, now I can read cyrillic very well. It's all a matter of practice. Even people who don't know cyrillic get used to the town names and remember them just from the outer appearance of the signs. It adds soooooo much to the atmosphere for me. Why should it be in english/ latin signs? Cyrillic is just as good as english.

• Like 1

I took russian lessons for fun and partially because of DayZ, now I can read cyrillic very well. It's all a matter of practice. Even people who don't know cyrillic get used to the town names and remember them just from the outer appearance of the signs. It adds soooooo much to the atmosphere for me. Why should it be in english/ latin signs? Cyrillic is just as good as english.

So now its about learning is it? In that case everything should be Russian, Game options, game menu, server lists, mouse over tips, etc. We can all learn Russian better that way. Stupid arguement is f**king stupid, if I want to learn Russian I go study Russian the same way I learn't the 3 languages I speak now, when I want to play a game I dont want bullshit written on my screen. Whatever.

I took russian lessons for fun and partially because of DayZ, now I can read cyrillic very well. 

There's Also a book in DayZ, forgot the name, but it is an actual Russian Language learning book. I've found it to be pretty common, and that makes sense. Never really used it, but i do carry it on me if i ever need it.

• Like 2

So now its about learning is it? In that case everything should be Russian, Game options, game menu, server lists, mouse over tips, etc. We can all learn Russian better that way. Stupid arguement is f**king stupid, if I want to learn Russian I go study Russian the same way I learn't the 3 languages I speak now, when I want to play a game I dont want bullshit written on my screen. Whatever.

You are exaggerating. If it does bother you that something is not written in the three languages you prefer, this maybe is the wrong game for you. (No insult)

• Like 1

Lucky for you there is h1z1 coming out soon.

Why does it bother so many people that this game is based on russia?

If it was a down town usa would players be saying its fictional, probably not.

Lucky for you there is h1z1 coming out soon.

Why does it bother so many people that this game is based on russia?

If it was a down town usa would players be saying its fictional, probably not.

But it isn't based on Russia. It's a fictional amalgam.

Also

Cyrillic does not equal Russian.

So shut up, you are making yourself look like an ignorant redneck.

• Like 4

I dont want bullshit written on my screen. Whatever.

It's just the cities names in an alphabet different than yours. Шat Aп.

But it isn't based on Russia. It's a fictional amalgam.

The only fictional thing in dayz is name chernaurus, everything else is real. From most town names to kvass. Everything points to eastern europe, mainly ukraine and russia.

Warz doesnt use true american towns, but its clearly based in usa, so if people are offended or find it hard to understand the alphabet, perhaps they can play warz/ISS.

Edited by ld-airgrafix

The only fictional thing in dayz is name chernaurus, everything else is real. From most town names to kvass. Everything points to eastern europe, mainly ukraine and russia.

Really!? The only thing fictional in DayZ is the name Chernaurus? REALLY? REALLY!? That's the only thing you can find fictional about the game.

Edited by blazed

Zombies are pretty fictional, and they're in DayZ.

There's nothing "real" about DayZ. It's fiction, pure and simple. It may be reminiscent of reality in certain ways but it exists only in its own universe.

Chernarus, the landscape, is based on the Czech Republic (specifically Usti nad Labem).

Chernarus, as a geographical location, appears reminiscent of Georgia.

Chernarus, as a geopolitical entity, appears reminiscent of former Yugoslavia.

Chernarus, as an exemplar of Russian interventionism, appears reminiscent of Chechnya.

But either way, the story of Chernarus is one that Bohemia penned. It is fictional. The history. The culture. The politics. The zombies. Every single thing about Chernarus, is fictional.

Edited by Katana67

Шat Aп.

L-O-FRICKING-L.  Too funny.

• Like 2

Zombies are pretty fictional, and they're in DayZ.

There's nothing "real" about DayZ. It's fiction, pure and simple. It may be reminiscent of reality in certain ways but it exists only in its own universe.

Chernarus, the landscape, is based on the Czech Republic (specifically Usti nad Labem).

Chernarus, as a geographical location, appears reminiscent of Georgia.

Chernarus, as a geopolitical entity, appears reminiscent of former Yugoslavia.

Chernarus, as an exemplar of Russian interventionism, appears reminiscent of Chechnya.

But either way, the story of Chernarus is one that Bohemia penned. It is fictional. The history. The culture. The politics. The zombies. Every single thing about Chernarus, is fictional.

I thought we were talking geographical and items found in the game. In yugoslavia we didnt drink kvass, we had rakija.

But like i said if it bothers u so much that this is eastern europe and mainly russia, there is always ISS and h1z1

I thought we were talking geographical and items found in the game. In yugoslavia we didnt drink kvass, we had rakija.

But like i said if it bothers u so much that this is eastern europe and mainly russia, there is always ISS and h1z1

There's more to Chernarus than the items found in-game. And I mentioned geography above.

It doesn't bother me at all, I don't recall ever saying that.

I'm saying Chernarus =/= Russia. Chernarus only = Chernarus, not anywhere else. Because it's fictional. Just like Tatooine. Just like Narnia. Just like Middle Earth.