Halven (DayZ)

What is it that makes the fps so bad? Engine? DX9?

As the title says, what exactly is it that makes DayZ run so bad?
Or atleast in citys and other areas with much buildings.
Is it the current engine or that it only runs on DX9, or both?
I've heard that DayZ atm only can use one of the processors cores, is there any truth to this?
I know it's an alpha and it's far from done and optimized, but have Boheima mentioned anything about this?

What is your system? Specifically:

1. CPU
  2. RAM (how much?)
  3. Graphics Card

From what I've seen most people who complain about FPS either don't have enough RAM (4GB is not enough) or don't have a good enough graphics card. Post what you've got and let's have a look. There's also a posty / thread somewhere that talks about this as well that I'm sure someone will be nice enough to dig up and share (I'm too lazy to right now).

Also try these on for size:

1. Possible tweaks to help FPS: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/122-new-player-discussion/
  2. Can I run DayZ: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154395-can-i-run-dayz-retail-post-here/

Now, they'll tell you that you can get away with 2GB of RAM, and that 4GB is suggested. I think that is outright wrong, especially if you have anything else running on your machine at all. I've observed DayZ taking up over 2.5GB of RAM, and if you have Google Chrome or pretty much anything else open and only 4GB of RAM you're going to be paging, potentially severely if you have a lot of stuff open.

1. CPU
  2. RAM (how much?)
  3. Graphics Card

From what I've seen most people who complain about FPS either don't have enough RAM (4GB is not enough) or don't have a good enough graphics card. Post what you've got and let's have a look. There's also a posty / thread somewhere that talks about this as well that I'm sure someone will be nice enough to dig up and share (I'm too lazy to right now).

But that's wrong. DayZ's client is 32-bit so it can use under 4 GBs of memory. The game's actually CPU bottlenecked most of the time, ramping up my GPU's core clocks did almost nothing. 

I'm sure if I tried to overclock my Phenom more I'll get better performance. But it's currently at 3.75 GHz at almost stock volts. 

• Like 1

Ya kinda answered most of your questions in your post, OP.  The game isn't optimized, yes they've said this, and the reason cities are worse is because of all the buildings and extra shit.

But that's wrong. DayZ's client is 32-bit so it can use under 4 GBs of memory. The game's actually CPU bottlenecked most of the time, ramping up my GPU's core clocks did almost nothing. 

You do realize that your PC is not a dedicated DayZ chunk of hardware, there are things called system resources and other processes running that also take up memory. So what you're claiming is inaccurate. True, it can technically it can "run" with 2GB or 4GB, but you're going to be paging severely and performance will be garbage, thus my assertion that 2GB or even 4GB of memory is insufficient is accurate. Also, unless I'm mistaken, even with Large Address Aware enabled a single 32 bit process in windows can only ever take up to 3GB of RAM  (even though they say 4GB, 1GB of that is reserved for Windows). Here's a screen cap I got of what DayZ was taking up on my machine from just a few weeks ago.

so31pw.jpg

There's an entire thread where FPS in cities has been discussed before, check this out for help as well OP.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/205865-insane-stuttering-in-citys/

I ran games just fine when I had 4 GBs of memory. Doubt memory would affect FPS severely. 

I ran games just fine when I had 4 GBs of memory. Doubt memory would affect FPS severely. 

"I ran games" ... "when I had" ... what are you running now, and when you only had 4GB did you try running DayZ? That's the point. I ran all sorts of games on my old machine which only had 4GB as well, but that's not exactly relevant or helpful now is it. Let's help OP with facts.

• Like 1

"I ran games" ... "when I had" ... what are you running now, and when you only had 4GB did you try running DayZ? That's the point. I ran all sorts of games on my old machine which only had 4GB as well, but that's not exactly relevant or helpful now is it. Let's help OP with facts.

"Facts"

This is an alpha game

it runs like dog shit

Why the hell would you upgrade your computer based off your experiences in an alpha game

KBAI

• Like 1

Why the hell would you upgrade your computer based off your experiences in an alpha game

You shouldn't. But then again, I don't have these problems. I built my machine about 2 years ago, and I don't lag in cities at all. Not at all. I've got good CPU and good memory, but this is a lower end card by today's standards, only cost me $90 for the card. No lag in cities for me, at all really. And I dual screen and keep task manager and Chrome open with Facebook up, DayZ forums, or anything else that suits my ALT+TAB fantsy.

• Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

1. CPU
  2. RAM (how much?)
  3. Graphics Card

It has nothing to do with my system.

But i have a clocked Windforce GTX770, 8gb ram, i5 3570k (clocked to 4.7ghz) and i use low/medium settings and have more or less everything turned off in rendering and in big citys im around 25-30 fps, in Novo i even drop lower sometimes.

A mate of mine runs 2 GTX780 in SLI, has 16gb of ram and a i7 4790k, with other words a monster system that manage pretty much any game on the market with the highest settings and 60+ fps, but in DayZ he has more or less the same fps as me.

Edited by Halven
  • Like 1

1. CPU
  2. RAM (how much?)
  3. Graphics Card

It has nothing to do with my system.

But i have a clocked Windforce GTX770, 8gb ram, i5 3570k (clocked to 4.7ghz) and i use low/medium settings and have more or less everything turned off in rendering and in big ctiys im around 25-30 fps, in Novo i even drop lower sometimes.

A mate of mine runs 2 GTX780 in SLI, has 16gb of ram and a i7 4790k, with other words a monster system that max out pretty much any game on the market, but in DayZ he has more or less the same fps as me.

That's totally different from my experience, and the things I assumed could be problems don't look like they are. Check some of those other threads, especially the tweaks one, maybe there's something there that will help.

You shouldn't. But then again, I don't have these problems. I built my machine about 2 years ago, and I don't lag in cities at all. Not at all. I've got good CPU and good memory, but this is a lower end card by today's standards, only cost me $90 for the card. No lag in cities for me, at all really. And I dual screen and keep task manager and Chrome open with Facebook up, DayZ forums, or anything else that suits my ALT+TAB fantsy.

• G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  • GIGABYTE GV-N65TOC-2GI GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16

Install fraps and see what fps you have in big citys.

Are you running the game with the lowest resolution possible and everything turned off and set to low or are you just used to a shitty fps and therefore don't consider it as lag?

My mates computer is like 3 times better then yours and hes at ~30 fps in big citys, mine is also pretty stronger then yours.

Edited by Halven

Anything below 60 frames per second is lagging. You are not getting 60+ frames in a city, that's a fact.

• Like 1

You do realize that your PC is not a dedicated DayZ chunk of hardware, there are things called system resources and other processes running that also take up memory. So what you're claiming is inaccurate. True, it can technically it can "run" with 2GB or 4GB, but you're going to be paging severely and performance will be garbage, thus my assertion that 2GB or even 4GB of memory is insufficient is accurate. Also, unless I'm mistaken, even with Large Address Aware enabled a single 32 bit process in windows can only ever take up to 3GB of RAM  (even though they say 4GB, 1GB of that is reserved for Windows). Here's a screen cap I got of what DayZ was taking up on my machine from just a few weeks ago.

so31pw.jpg

There's an entire thread where FPS in cities has been discussed before, check this out for help as well OP.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/205865-insane-stuttering-in-citys/

shut up man, game runs like shit even if you have 16gb of RAM, the bottleneck is always the CPU.

If you want decent fps, you need at least an i5 2500k or better. i have an athlon II x4 and i can barely run the game.

hell, even a 4930k wont run the game at 60 fps, it's just bad optimized as hell.

Edited by lipemr

This game is terribly unoptimized at the moment, nothing but throwing raw processing power at it is going to help.

I5-4440@3.10GHz

6GB-DDR3

GF750TI

Win 8.1

No problems at all. It seems that the more powerful your rig is, the less DayZ makes out of it.

However, I do not track my FPS at all, I'm fine if the game runs fluently and i dont have lags at all, which is the case for me. I do not notice any difference when coming down the coast running into Elektro or moving straight over a hill down inside Novo. But again, i dont monitor my FPS, I dont care if its 25, 40 or 60 as long as it runs smooth, and it does.

I run DayZ on medium to high settings.

It would be extremely odd if the game was either RAM or CPU bottlenecked. That's almost never the case with games. A lot of the stuff that would require a lot of RAM or CPU is calculated server-side anyway. If you're seeing framerate drops, it's almost certainly a GPU issue. I also wouldn't trust the RAM usage reports in the Task Manager for much of anything. Modern operating system aggressively manage memory, paging shit in and out in anticipation of what will be needed in the near future. The machine is going to appear to use as much memory as you give it, but that doesn't mean much. Unless you're profiling the executable to see what's it's specifically doing at any point you're unlikely to have any idea how much RAM it's actually using.

3570k@4.2

8gb RAM@1600

4GB GTX 680@1200Mhz and +200Mhz memory

= 17 fps in Zelenogorsk.

Anything below 60 frames per second is lagging. You are not getting 60+ frames in a city, that's a fact.

^True.

Crowbar, 4GB is enough memory to run DayZ perfectly fine. I've never used more than 4GB of memory playing DayZ, even with Winamp going and twenty tabs open in Chrome.

My kid runs DayZ with 4GB of memory and a 1GB Radeon on normal settings without issue.

It's a well known fact this game runs like shit.

Edited by Grimey Rick

I built my system back 2008 and it handles this game really well. I have upgraded my graphics card since then. Four gigs of memory runs this game just fine.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, a GTX 650, 4gigs of ram, an Intel E8500 Duel Core Wolfdale processor overclocked to run at 3.91ghz and I'm good to go. So don't let anyone tell you 4gigs isn't enough. It's the combination of your hardware that seems to make the difference in my opinion.

-Schweinsteiger!

P.S.,

You don't need to install Fraps or anything. If your game looks good and runs fine there's no need to go knocking on that door. If, however, you're having problems and want to know, then go for it. 

Edited by Schweinsteiger

Stone age AMD Phenom 3.2ghz Quad Core / ancient 5750 Radeon 2gb / 4gb basic ram  and ... put everything to very low, objects on normal, textures on normal, and AA on normal = ...

Strangely enough 25-40 fps everywhere except the cities with the sky-high apartments where it drops to 8-15 fps yet turning shadows all the way off jumps that to around 20-25 fps.. and this computer is 3 years old, $800 at the time, without any upgrades or overclocking since, looking forward to overclocking the CPU to 4.0ghz quad after obtaining some additional fans and replacing the current ones from the factory standard and getting a new graphics card that's you know, not like $25 today, and 8gb ram .. but for now it functions, no doubt playable have over 150 hours clocked into DayZ and not once a death by lag at least.

Then again I'm one of 'those' that the difference between 30 fps, and 60 fps is unnoticeable to begin with, so - so long as it's *staying* over 30 fps at all times I'll always be content. 

Edited by AzrailCross

Stone age AMD Phenom 3.2ghz Quad Core / ancient 5750 Radeon 2gb / 4gb basic ram  and ... put everything to very low, objects on normal, textures on normal, and AA on normal = ...

Strangely enough 25-40 fps everywhere except the cities with the sky-high apartments where it drops to 8-15 fps yet turning shadows all the way off jumps that to around 20-25 fps.. and this computer is 3 years old, $800 at the time, without any upgrades or overclocking since, looking forward to overclocking the CPU to 4.0ghz quad after obtaining some additional fans and replacing the current ones from the factory standard and getting a new graphics card that's you know, not like $25 today, and 8gb ram .. but for now it functions, no doubt playable have over 150 hours clocked into DayZ and not once a death by lag at least.

Then again I'm one of 'those' that the difference between 30 fps, and 60 fps is unnoticeable to begin with, so - so long as it's *staying* over 30 fps at all times I'll always be content. 

What resolution are you running?

And I can't STAND the horrid lag. Having shit FPS halves your firing rate to jack shit, along with the inherent difficulty of aiming with low FPS. 

I usually get around 30 FPS in cities, but when I go with a group of 5-10 my FPS goes to 15. I have objects quality set to normal for spotting, but I get more lag when there's... lots of objects. 

P.S You're not getting 4 GHz on Phenoms. It's a brick wall and even if you do you'll be throwing stupid amounts of volts at it.

Edited by hotcakes

What resolution are you running?

And I can't STAND the horrid lag. Having shit FPS halves your firing rate to jack shit, along with the inherent difficulty of aiming with low FPS. 

I usually get around 30 FPS in cities, but when I go with a group of 5-10 my FPS goes to 15. I have objects quality set to normal for spotting, but I get more lag when there's... lots of objects. 

P.S You're not getting 4 GHz on Phenoms. It's a brick wall and even if you do you'll be throwing stupid amounts of volts at it.

1920x1080 & I've already overclocked it to 4ghz but toned it back due to overheating, the fans are a bit old and don't take enough care of them given previous houses - roomates had cats and the fur built up, they still run great but it gets way to risky to overclock atm (55-60cc dayz now, 70 on some high end games 79 is the cut off point.) So add in 1 more fan on the top, 2 more on the front, and two more on the bottom, replace the one on the top that's already there, and replace the one on the back, as well as replace the one on the side.. and should be more than able to handle it. (or get water cooling ;3)