boneboys

Stable - 0.48 Discussion

I thought it was implemented now, based on all the forum feedback, was to be last week wednesday but it was posponed till today, however the servers seem to be  back up and running on 0.48 and i cant find information anywhere so far

Yeah same. Although there doesn't seem to be many topics discussing the update.. is it really today or postponed again? :P

I would just expect a little more hype from the dev team, or some information considering how big this update is supposed to be, Full wipe, Persiatance weather effects many fixes etc . You'd kinda expect to hear something.

It'll be another week. By the time this game is released I'm afraid it'll be out of date..

• Like 1

Surprise surprise another delay lol

My grandmother literally just told me that she could go to school, learn programming and finish a better version of DayZ before this version is half ready.

Edited by DTebbs87
  • Like 1

My grandmother literally just told me that she could go to school, learn programming and finish a better version of DayZ before this version is half ready.

Lol, congrats for having a granny that even know that programming and computers belong together!

Yeah same. Although there doesn't seem to be many topics discussing the update.. is it really today or postponed again? :P

Can anyone chime in a tell us what is happening with the update?

I find this very funny, while totally silly and false. :)

developing a game can't be easy... This game is a new frontier, so it will having growing pains.. The trouble is how to create realistic expectations... that's nearly impossible for an alpha release.

Edited by tootights

When is .49 being implemented on stable?

When it's ready, not before.

For the rest of you with a programed granny and such, why don't you hop into Exp ?

You might learn something.

i tough that i play today :) "no message received" x 13 "session lost" x 8 Nice! well i think i go for this banana instead..

When it's ready, not before.

For the rest of you with a programed granny and such, why don't you hop into Exp ?

You might learn something.

We get that, of course but when it's delayed a week, and then they say expect it on next weeks maintenance you kinda expect it, or a short little post explaining when they anticipate it to come out. Just a little feedback to keep the player base close to the same page. for example, the weekly updates page also normally has a new thread by now 

Every patch is the same thing.

1. Something promised to be added

2. update comes out and the addition is promised in the next update because it doesn't work right currently.

3. instead of focusing solely on the promised addition, a bunch of other crap is added/changed that has nothing to do with what they were fixing/adding which makes the game run like garbage/breaks something that was already working in the first place

4. which in turn postpones the update for weeks.

Every patch is the same thing.

1. Something promised to be added

2. update comes out and the addition is promised in the next update because it doesn't work right currently.

3. instead of focusing solely on the promised addition, a bunch of other crap is added/changed that has nothing to do with what they were fixing/adding which makes the game run like garbage/breaks something that was already working in the first place

4. which in turn postpones the update for weeks.

Complaining too hard (some did that) does not help it or change anything either, though.

Play experimental, play stable until patch, play something else, play nothing, go out, read a book, watch a movie, meet people, etc.

• Like 3

We get that, of course but when it's delayed a week, and then they say expect it on next weeks maintenance you kinda expect it, or a short little post explaining when they anticipate it to come out. Just a little feedback to keep the player base close to the same page. for example, the weekly updates page also normally has a new thread by now 

Do you have a reference for that quote? I'd like to re-read what was said. As I recall it was stated that 0.49 was delayed a week for experimental therefore it would be delayed a week for stable too.

This is normal for the alpha phase of game development. Think of game development as slides of glass (or layers in Photoshop) with semi-transparent images that when all slides are aligned they form the desired final product. In the case of game dev, each slide could represent a team, each team working on a different part that will be combined to complete the final result. So of course you will see some features and items (like clothing) of the final product before you see some of the more sought-after features (like vehicles and base building).

Normally end users don't see this process because early access isn't an option for most games. If it bothers you (and others) so much, play standalone once it's further into development.

And yes I am a game developer.

any ideas on .49 release?

Have you not read anything in this thread/any other thread regarding this moronic question?

*snip*

Play experimental, play stable until patch, play something else, play nothing, go out, read a book, watch a movie, meet people, etc.

All of this.

If you find any part of DayZ progress or implementation to be undesirable to the degree that the game is a "lost cause" and you have nothing constructive to add (positive, negative, or otherwise) other than to criticize people professionally in a field you wouldn't likely be qualified to even enter, you should just walk away from DayZ and cut your losses at 30$ and save yourself the obvious pain you experience at the hands of this wholly inept and downright nefarious development team.

• Like 2

Do you have a reference for that quote? I'd like to re-read what was said. As I recall it was stated that 0.49 was delayed a week for experimental therefore it would be delayed a week for stable too.

This is normal for the alpha phase of game development. Think of game development as slides of glass (or layers in Photoshop) with semi-transparent images that when all slides are aligned they form the desired final product. In the case of game dev, each slide could represent a team, each team working on a different part that will be combined to complete the final result. So of course you will see some features and items (like clothing) of the final product before you see some of the more sought-after features (like vehicles and base building).

Normally end users don't see this process because early access isn't an option for most games. If it bothers you (and others) so much, play standalone once it's further into development.

And yes I am a game developer.

Yeah I know how the creative process works, especially when it comes from different parts of a team. There is nothing wrong with other parts of the team creating content, but it makes you wonder who is creating what in this game? Obviously art is different than sound, which is different than coding. If coding for the persistent loot is messed up, why add the coding for hypo/hyperthermia if you aren't done what you are already working on?

If coding for the persistent loot is messed up, why add the coding for hypo/hyperthermia if you aren't done what you are already working on?

If you know how the creative process works then you'd also know that there are different roles in the teams (eg AI programmers, GUI programmers, sound programmers, scripters. The list goes on), each working on different things. If all programmers worked on the same feature it'd most likely be a 'too many cooks' situation. Several months ago there was a live stream where Dean gave an example of this; he said that he did the initial programming for the health/blood regeneration system but then it got passed to another programmer (or more than one) that finished it. That's how it has worked for many of the features that have been implemented. That's probably why there are many unfinished features, but I'm a 3D artist so I don't know much about programming.

I think the real cause to the so-called 'slow development' is that the team is very small. I saw a video with a tour of the Prague office and there was only about 30 people. Perhaps there are more now or elsewhere.

Edited by Borgscan
  • Like 1

If you know how the creative process works then you'd also know that there are different roles in the teams (eg AI programmers, GUI programmers, sound programmers, scripters. The list goes on), each working on different things.

I know where you're coming from and I used to feel the same way but I am definitely not as optimistic about this games progress and I was before. I read a month or so ago that the team grew to a much larger number, so I am not sure what is going on.

Whether or not there are different levels of coders working on different things doesn't change that when they add things they break other things, and then add other things during that of time of fixing which break them again.

Whether or not there are different levels of coders working on different things doesn't change that when they add things they break other things, and then add other things during that of time of fixing which break them again.

And that is the exact reason why you have a feature-adding phase and after that a bugfixing phase. Why wasting time and manpower in fixes that will break with the next implementation of features anyway?

• Like 4

And that is the exact reason why you have a feature-adding phase and after that a bugfixing phase. Why wasting time and manpower in fixes that will break with the next implementation of features anyway?

Exactly , and if all those complaining really understood this alpha process (or any alpha process) they would stop at " I don't like how alphas progress " not "they're doing it so wrong bro , they've made millions they've increased their team they should have features 100% complete when they are first added " cuz all of these are wrong ...

The size of team could actually hurt the progress if all the work was done one feature after the next 100% , for instance too many people would be working on one features coding while many coders are still not bein used because they had to "wait until that feature is 100% " to try and help with the next feature ... That's a stupid way of doing things and only those looking from the outside in would ever suggest such a way of developing a game, the way they do it now everyone is always working on something , and we get a balance of things in one patch as opposed to just one 100% complete feature (that would still require bug fixing in beta anyways ) ..

No doing it the way all alphas have done it for years now (since sandbox mmo's came out at least ) is the right way ; have many coders at your disposal all working on a number of different features , when one feature is 50% complete and just a little buggy they push It to an exp build , and then let the process of testing with us and collecting our data on it to figure out the rest of the 50% (which depending on the feature could take a while , like the nav mesh did ) and in that time the coders that pushed that 50% feature out are already working on a new exciting feature . So if they worked on one problem at a time I guarantee we wouldn't even have animals , heat/cold system or rag doll system in by now because they would have to "wait until each feature is 100% before moving on " .

So I know many are frustrated with the fact that zombies are still Glitchy , that the lag/ Desync is still bad , that melee keeps getting improved / reworked which ends up "breaking it " for a patch or so but honestly most of this is just people gettin too mad over small things all adding up .. I felt the frustration of how glitchy the zombies were yesterday :

I had four on me and for some reason I couldn't hit them when they were all grouped together (I was on a 100 ping server so not too bad and I was getting 40fps so it wasn't ping /fps related ) and after a long frustrating battle of runnin into houses that I couldn't lock them out with i died to the remaining three because they hit me from feet away thinking I was still stuck in the police station in between those two side doors while I was really outside running away .

So long story short if you realize the frustrations don't exacerbate them by saying "this is all the developers fault they should have fixed this game before releasing it or at least fixed the zombies and stop breaking everything " remember that this is the correct process for alpha and the developers are only doing it the way it's been done for years now and seeing how it's process only frustrates a very LOUD minority , it doesn't mean that the other 1 million players aren't having fun . Cuz we are . I've only been frustrated enough to quit the game for a bit ONCE and it was when that patch came out (.45?) that was constantly desyncing so bad you couldn't even move ten feet without rubber banding (THAT was frustrating , all these other problems only suck if they all add up at once , but again you can't let it frustrate you as you know this is how the process should work, and you can always log out and try again later if you really can't survive because of the " unfinished features " aka zombies , lack of food/ survival stuff and glitchy bugs that end up in death ).

• Like 2

That's exactly the point I was trying to make and that not all programmers on the project work on a feature until it's done. Often it's just one or two programmers per feature because any more than that can be counter productive.