nishka

Player spawn is the cause of all evil

Spawning on the east cost is a feature. All the military bases are in the west region of the map and therefore should be hard/annoying/time consuming to get to. Get used to it because it's going to be this way for a while. If not, for ever.

Except why does anyone need to go that way?

You can find a mosin and a long range scope in berezino, elektro or NEAF and enough food to last a month

Do we do need more spawns, or like I've said before if no one wants new spawns, delete the rest of the map and call it berezino banditz because there's no reason to go west

working as intended. I don't want to spawn just 3mins run to the nearest military loot spawn, which would be the case if they spawned you anywhere other than the East coast.

Sorry but random spawning only does 2 things...

Destroys map flow/progression for the player.

Opens up spawn exploiting (which is already used with just costal spawns).

• Like 2

I too wish for random spawns, but as a long-time player of both the mod and the Standalone, I understand why we may never see this feature ever come to fruition. Simply put, there is currently very little to do in this game. It is getting better, but basically all there is to do is loot and kill people. That being said, I sincerely doubt that the devs want a player to spawn next to NWAF as a fresh spawn, get geared up, and go wreak havoc in a matter of minutes. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

I've read this nonsense more than once now and it's entirely baseless. How on earth is somebody "going to wreak havoc" in a couple of minutes. It takes 5 just to run the length of the thing!

Does gearing up give the player clairvoyance so they can find other players so easily that havoc wreaking is a possibility?

Anyone who's played the game long enough knows this claim is entirely thoughtless and baseless,.

Sadly this is what random spawning all over the map did for me... I spawned between vybor and the NWAF time taken to get to this point 12 minutes...2014-08-13_00001.jpg

Honestly i like the idea of random spawns all over the map but after tasting it i am kinda liking the idea of set NE coastal spawns lol.. Edit  this is the brand new exp patch and NWAF had already been looted as all the doors were open and there were 31 players on the server..

Edited by SoulFirez

Except why does anyone need to go that way?

You can find a mosin and a long range scope in berezino, elektro or NEAF and enough food to last a month

Do we do need more spawns, or like I've said before if no one wants new spawns, delete the rest of the map and call it berezino banditz because there's no reason to go west

Well in the west you have military loot like AKMs AK101s and M4s that spawn on chopper crash sites along the west.  Admittedly the crash sites don't spawn at the moment, but they will, and later in the games development when they actually start to thin out the loot drops and make things even rarer going to the west will be recommended so you can actually gear yourself with something of worth.

Sorry but random spawning only does 2 things...

Not if they're clever with the mechanism (for exploiting), I don't see how it destroys map flow and going back to the first, I don't care if people kill themselves to get a better spawn (unlikely to happen soon if they put in a hundred).

It takes 15-20 minutes TOPS to hook up with a friend. If you want to spend 30 minutes dying and respawning when any spawn you get is not that far away from military gear (if that's what you're after) and you'd probably get there quicker by just running.

Of course people could play the game. You get a spawn and then you deal with it, just like you would in reality if you woke up the day after a zombie apocalypse.

People who want to skip ahead exploit and I wonder why they bother playing a game they clearly do not get.

Sadly this is what random spawning all over the map did for me... I spawned between vybor and the NWAF time taken to get to this point 12 minutes...2014-08-13_00001.jpg

Honestly i like the idea of random spawns all over the map but after tasting it i am kinda liking the idea of set NE coastal spawns lol.. Edit  this is the brand new exp patch and NWAF had already been looted as all the doors were open and there were 31 players on the server..

What was the 12 minutes for?

Not if they're clever with the mechanism (for exploiting), I don't see how it destroys map flow and going back to the first, I don't care if people kill themselves to get a better spawn (unlikely to happen soon if they put in a hundred).

It takes 15-20 minutes TOPS to hook up with a friend. If you want to spend 30 minutes dying and respawning when any spawn you get is not that far away from military gear (if that's what you're after) and you'd probably get there quicker by just running.

Of course people could play the game. You get a spawn and then you deal with it, just like you would in reality if you woke up the day after a zombie apocalypse.

People who want to skip ahead exploit and I wonder why they bother playing a game they clearly do not get.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially that people should deal with there spawn and play the game properly. I will never kill myself for a "better" spawn.

Il try and expand a lil...

The map flow thing is....how can I put it....do you remember that 1st time you ever made it to NWA in the mod?

It was a trek, and personally it felt like an accomplishment the first few times (ok that subsides with repetition) but it was a goal, something to aim for. If you can, by chance, get a spawn a few mins from it then it destroys that whole banding together on the coast and pushing inland.

Once players get gear they mainly want to use it, so they go off looking for some PvP....not all of us, but most I think. Now making them trek the entire map to get to a spot where they can grab some tast gear gives an objective, a mission. Random spawns have the chance to drasticly reduce the time that mission will take, thus making people arrive at the "im geared and bored" state much faster.

You are right, some clever system that keeps you within a certain range of the first spawn so as not to let you "hop" around the map could be good.

But whats the end goal....to disperse players? That can e achieved by tweaking loot spawns forcing them to travel to survive.

Is it to disorientate players? For that id ay yes, at first. But (lets be generous) 200hrs in you will know the lay of the land, and identify where you are very quickly.

So whats it for, why do we need it when it could ruin the feeling of making it across the map for the first time....or the 100th if it was a eventfull hard fought journey, and maaaayyyybe be exploitable? 

What was the 12 minutes for?

(character wipe as always with new patch)To go from freshspawn to pretty much full mil geared up i have 2 30 clips for that gun a single clip for me cz pistol i picked up so i wouldnt say i am fully geared by any means but was WAY to quick to get to this point ( respawn working to well perhaps as i say the NWAF had been looted before i got there, but then i dont know how it works does it spawn stuff flat out till server reaches a certain economy meaning if i die in a day or 2 getting back will be that much harder or will it just keep spawning good gear??

Ill reserve my conclusion for a few more days see how the levels of gear are when i do a lap back to the NWAF to see whats kicking about..

Edited by SoulFirez

I agree on the spawn exploiting. Could probably be fixed some other way though.

What on earth is the `"map flow/progression for the player"?

why dont you become a apple addict like the rest of us :D

Oh trust me I am a big believer in apples and berries but I was too busy herpin' and derpin' around looking for other food/loot spots and had just spent the previous 10 minutes of my shortened life running from some axe wielding maniac. Instead of meeting my death by having my wig split open, my guy decided he was to famished to continue. Plus the dude ruined all my apples, berries and water I had in my children's briefcase.

This happened before they updated experimental last night, food and loot seem to be spawning a bit more regular. After the update I was able to scrounge a bit of food and drink, even met a helpful survivor named fingerblast who opened my canned food and cleared the zeds out of the area I spawned in.

big no, ppl currently suicide in solnichny or krasno because they want a berezino spawn. This would result in suicides because they want a nwaf spawn. Ppl who want military gear should invest the time to either loot it or kill someone who has it.

If they made the spawning really random across the map it would be far to time consuming to suicide and to hope to spawn near an airfield.

(Especially if you gave to run for 5 minutes to get to get your bearings to decide if you want to suicide)

No. Way.

Inland spawns are WRONG, goddamnit.

Spawning in Polana and Dolina is bad enough - I hope it's removed ASAP. It's got to be the coast or I'll have a tantrum.

I agree with a lot of what you say, especially that people should deal with there spawn and play the game properly. I will never kill myself for a "better" spawn.

Il try and expand a lil...

The map flow thing is....how can I put it....do you remember that 1st time you ever made it to NWA in the mod?

It was a trek, and personally it felt like an accomplishment the first few times (ok that subsides with repetition) but it was a goal, something to aim for. If you can, by chance, get a spawn a few mins from it then it destroys that whole banding together on the coast and pushing inland.

Once players get gear they mainly want to use it, so they go off looking for some PvP....not all of us, but most I think. Now making them trek the entire map to get to a spot where they can grab some tast gear gives an objective, a mission. Random spawns have the chance to drasticly reduce the time that mission will take, thus making people arrive at the "im geared and bored" state much faster.

You are right, some clever system that keeps you within a certain range of the first spawn so as not to let you "hop" around the map could be good.

But whats the end goal....to disperse players? That can e achieved by tweaking loot spawns forcing them to travel to survive.

Is it to disorientate players? For that id ay yes, at first. But (lets be generous) 200hrs in you will know the lay of the land, and identify where you are very quickly.

So whats it for, why do we need it when it could ruin the feeling of making it across the map for the first time....or the 100th if it was a eventfull hard fought journey, and maaaayyyybe be exploitable? 

For me, random spawns all over the map seem more realistic. If you get a good spawn or not it's not long before you're geared up enough. Now, if people are getting bored after this I'd say DayZ isn't the game for them.

Gearing up is only the first stage of gameplay. You start off with nothing and have to scavenge for food whilst keeping away from threats. Once you have your basic gear, food, clothing, a melee weapon you're more able to defend yourself against zombies and you're not desperate to eat.

Once you start to get other loot, like weapons, backpacks and other gear you're now pretty much geared up and have reached the peak of what you can find to survive with. This is the end of the first stage. You're geared up now that you can defend yourself and hunt for food. You also have enough medical supplies to deal with all the things that can kill you.

Great! Now you've just started playing the game. The game that is DayZ is surviving the apocalypse for as long as you can and that is it. Chores become your daily life - maintaining your camp and equipment, hunting, scavenging etc.

So stage one is getting geared up, you're looking around the map for gear - stage 2, after you're geared up is looking around the map for stuff. Basically food and water and medical supplies and ammo. Both stages you're looking for stuff, the game hasn't changed only what you're looking for has diminished to just a few items.

If players are dispersed across the map I think that's great, I'm not looking for PVP and I don't want a game where I know if I could to X town, I can get pvp because over half the server population is there. I prefer those random encounters you're not expecting that getting your heart racing.

If you just grab a gun and go to a pvp zone you don't care about ur gear and it's as exciting as BF3 (Less so I'd say). If you're running across a field and suddenly bullets start zipping by you, that's a whole different experience :)

• Like 3

Everyone should spawn in the many forests. Smack right in the middle of it, where you have no sense of direction. Will be miles away from being able to suicide. This will disperse the population a bit.

• Like 1

(character wipe as always with new patch)To go from freshspawn to pretty much full mil geared up i have 2 30 clips for that gun a single clip for me cz pistol i picked up so i wouldnt say i am fully geared by any means but was WAY to quick to get to this point ( respawn working to well perhaps as i say the NWAF had been looted before i got there, but then i dont know how it works does it spawn stuff flat out till server reaches a certain economy meaning if i die in a day or 2 getting back will be that much harder or will it just keep spawning good gear??

Ill reserve my conclusion for a few more days see how the levels of gear are when i do a lap back to the NWAF to see whats kicking about..

Aah I see. 12 minutes is pretty quick. Maybe spawns should be at least a km away from military loot and once the running speeds are reduced this would help perhaps?

I guess I see it different. Fully geared to me is a fireaxe, can opener, knife, matches - basically everything I need to survive off the land and kill zombies. After that it's just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

Aah I see. 12 minutes is pretty quick. Maybe spawns should be at least a km away from military loot and once the running speeds are reduced this would help perhaps?

I guess I see it different. Fully geared to me is a fireaxe, can opener, knife, matches - basically everything I need to survive off the land and kill zombies. After that it's just icing on the cake.

Oh that is normally the sort of gear i go for but when you spawn insight of the walls of the NWAF its hard to not just pop in to see whats going on . Now i am in search of my usual normal gear aswell (fishing hook lantern gas stove fry pan rope etc etc)

Wierd thing is i am having a hard time finding that sort of gear .... Its almost like this round the game is telling me its been months try your hand at banditry again ( every now and then i try the classic banditry as in rob not kill if i can, hell usually i swap stuff when i rob, as in your axe is pristine mine is damaged swap but ill steal food and ammo out right when the odd time i play that style..

I am sick of spawning on the east. I am sick of Berezino and Krasnostav

I have never spawned in Komarowo for exaplme, where I always ended up in the mod

Why cant we spawn in random places on the whole map? This would relax Berezino warzone and repopolate forgotten areas.

Or maybe its just me who always spawns on the eastern coast. 

Respawn? What is that and how does it work? Can i eat it? :P

...Haven't died for a loooong time now, i'm proud to say

Oh that is normally the sort of gear i go for but when you spawn insight of the walls of the NWAF its hard to not just pop in to see whats going on . Now i am in search of my usual normal gear aswell (fishing hook lantern gas stove fry pan rope etc etc)

Wierd thing is i am having a hard time finding that sort of gear .... Its almost like this round the game is telling me its been months try your hand at banditry again ( every now and then i try the classic banditry as in rob not kill if i can, hell usually i swap stuff when i rob, as in your axe is pristine mine is damaged swap but ill steal food and ammo out right when the odd time i play that style..

Do you think there should be skill progression in the game? Like fishing you're bad at to begin with, but the more you do the better you get. This would make dying so much worse though. I'm not sold on the idea of skills but then it's something else to work towards and why should I know how to do the following the instant I wake up on Day Zero....

- Know everything mechanical about cars that I can fix all make and models, even tractors

- Know everything there is to know about boats, including fixing all makes and models as well as knowing the seas intimately

- Know everything there is to know about the working of complicated aircraft such as choppers, not to mention many makes and models

- Not only this but I know how to fly them all too!

- And I know how to fish

- Hunt

- Skin and gut animals

- I'm a gormet chef too

- A skilled doctor (You'll never believe what I can do with a drop of morphine or a couple of sticks! ;))

- I'm also a top marksmen

- And weaponsmith

- I think I'll be an amazing carpenter and builder too (when crafting comes in)

- I also know which things on the land I can eat

- I'll probably be an amazing farmer too.

- and what else can i do?

One of the only skills you will learn in  DayZ is map reading (which you can take to the real world too). If you don't know how to do this, you can learn it and become better at it. But why is it we know how to do all of this already and will skill sets mean less killing - If i'm a great fisherman can I trade you for venison because you're a great hunter?

• Like 3

Do you think there should be skill progression in the game? Like fishing you're bad at to begin with, but the more you do the better you get. This would make dying so much worse though. I'm not sold on the idea of skills but then it's something else to work towards and why should I know how to do the following the instant I wake up on Day Zero....

- Know everything mechanical about cars that I can fix all make and models, even tractors

- Know everything there is to know about boats, including fixing all makes and models as well as knowing the seas intimately

- Know everything there is to know about the working of complicated aircraft such as choppers, not to mention many makes and models

- Not only this but I know how to fly them all too!

- And I know how to fish

- Hunt

- Skin and gut animals

- I'm a gormet chef too

- A skilled doctor (You'll never believe what I can do with a drop of morphine or a couple of sticks! ;))

- I'm also a top marksmen

- And weaponsmith

- I think I'll be an amazing carpenter and builder too (when crafting comes in)

- I also know which things on the land I can eat

- I'll probably be an amazing farmer too.

- and what else can i do?

One of the only skills you will learn in  DayZ is map reading (which you can take to the real world too). If you don't know how to do this, you can learn it and become better at it. But why is it we know how to do all of this already and will skill sets mean less killing - If i'm a great fisherman can I trade you for venison because you're a great hunter?

Actually i have always been a supporter of skills passive skills with no visual levels etc. But have the skills we have now reduced as it stands we can do everything perfectly dependant on the condition of the material used. I believe a well done balanced skill progression would add great value to a players life making some SOME people strive harder to stay alive ( i believe its a win win situation really the survivalists have something to work for and the KoS/griefer style players will get more joy when they kill someone.)

How exactly it would be balanced id leave to far smarter people than myself but honestly most things should have a passive skill level to them so we can trully start as average joe and by the end of a large survival time become the true hard grimey bear grills(without the fake camera crew stuff lol) style with what ever you have practiced more at you are actually better at. The only exception is i dont think it should ever affect gun play no skills beyond our player skills affects that.

Stamina( real people get fitter as they train or get less fit as they suffer dehydration starvation over long periods

Gun smithing (cleaning fixing of guns and even modifying of guns)

Wood work(making of bows arrows traps using ropes so more a general skill here

Medical( if they expand the medical system further it will give plenty of scope to develop skills in dealing with bone breaks cuts of different levels of severity etc)

and so on and so fourth  with all the things we do in game already with a perfect skill level as um average joe washed up in an apoc...

This might MIGHT help premote team work in some more people as it would take far  to long to learn all skills and would be better to be half spread skills with 1 or 2 you specialize in so i am the medic and you might be the mechanic and our mate joe might be our gun smith /food hunter.

• Like 1

Actually i have always been a supporter of skills passive skills with no visual levels etc. But have the skills we have now reduced as it stands we can do everything perfectly dependant on the condition of the material used. I believe a well done balanced skill progression would add great value to a players life making some SOME people strive harder to stay alive ( i believe its a win win situation really the survivalists have something to work for and the KoS/griefer style players will get more joy when they kill someone.)

How exactly it would be balanced id leave to far smarter people than myself but honestly most things should have a passive skill level to them so we can trully start as average joe and by the end of a large survival time become the true hard grimey bear grills(without the fake camera crew stuff lol) style with what ever you have practiced more at you are actually better at. The only exception is i dont think it should ever affect gun play no skills beyond our player skills affects that.

Stamina( real people get fitter as they train or get less fit as they suffer dehydration starvation over long periods

Gun smithing (cleaning fixing of guns and even modifying of guns)

Wood work(making of bows arrows traps using ropes so more a general skill here

Medical( if they expand the medical system further it will give plenty of scope to develop skills in dealing with bone breaks cuts of different levels of severity etc)

and so on and so fourth  with all the things we do in game already with a perfect skill level as um average joe washed up in an apoc...

This might MIGHT help premote team work in some more people as it would take far  to long to learn all skills and would be better to be half spread skills with 1 or 2 you specialize in so i am the medic and you might be the mechanic and our mate joe might be our gun smith /food hunter.

Yep it gives people a sense of worth too and individualism. Agreed on the gun skill - that should just be set equal amongst all players but skills certainly give players more to achieve once they're "geared up and bored"

Everyone should spawn in the many forests. Smack right in the middle of it, where you have no sense of direction. Will be miles away from being able to suicide. This will disperse the population a bit.

Exactly.

Spawning in the wilderness with no sense of direction would help the gameplay alot.

Every single time you spawn you will spend perhaps hours getting your bearings straight while trying your best to survive off the land. Meanwhile this also improves gameplay for geared players as the map is now evenly distributed with players and a player encounter can happen anywhere and at anytime.

• Like 2

Walking through the forest looking around seeing nothing. Making camp looking around seeing nothing. Lighting fire when suddenly - SMASH freshspawn hits my head takes my stuff and kills me. No thanks.

It dumbs down gameplay to a classical appear everywhere deathmatch. At the very least every spawn should take into account player proximity and distance to both high value loot spawns and (in case of respawn) the place you died before. Also dedicated spawn areas make for more interesting because less generic gameplay. Berezino is intrinsically different from Zelenogorsk because of this - which is a good thing. It also puts more emphasis on "moving from A to B" instead of "spawing near A, playing at A, spawning near B, playing at B" putting some weight on paths rather than destinations.

Exactly.

Spawning in the wilderness with no sense of direction would help the gameplay alot.

Every single time you spawn you will spend perhaps hours getting your bearings straight while trying your best to survive off the land. Meanwhile this also improves gameplay for geared players as the map is now evenly distributed with players and a player encounter can happen anywhere and at anytime.

This is only going to disorientate new players. Seasoned vets are going to know where they are in 0 - 15 minutes tops I would think :)