Shadow Six

Removing the Bolt/Bolt Group for weapons

Should you be able to remove the bolt group from a weapon?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should you be able to remove the bolt group from a weapon?

• Yes! This would mean that I won't get shot in the back for being a nice guy!
    • No! I don't think it should be THAT real!

So, if I was a survivor in a Zombie apocalypse, and came upon armed strangers that I got the drop on, the first thing I'd do is get them to drop their weapons.

Now, I'm not a horrible person, but if they're making out as though they are legit survivors without any malicious intent, I would still remove the bolt or bolt group from their weapon, and take it away with me for a distance and drop it, before I legged it, to prevent them from potentially shooting me in the back while I withdrew.

So, my case is, how about allowing the removal of the bolt group, just as though it were an 'attachment' like a source of ammunition and both a source of ammo and the bolt group need to be true in order to fire the weapon?

What are your thoughts?

Do you even know how to take the bolt off a gun?

i do, but whats the point? just take all their munitions.

• Like 2

Do you even know how to take the bolt off a gun?

i do, but whats the point? just take all their munitions.

but maybe you don't have enough storage for all the ammo? :D

Maybe they could just add a "Break item" action that can "Ruin" a weapon but allow weapon kits to restore their status from "Ruined" to "Worn".

• Like 2

but maybe you don't have enough storage for all the ammo? :D

Then don't hold someone up or don't do without handcuffs if you have an aversion to murder.

Then don't hold someone up or don't do without handcuffs if you have an aversion to murder.

That's not really a good answer, the idea has it's reasoning behind it and if you figure out, how a weapon cleaning set works, you also know how to remove a bolt group. Especially military weapons are easy to take apart.

The destruction of a weapon seems acceptable, too, if you have an axe or a hammer, you don't need to hack the thing in two, just dent or block movable parts.

I like both options, but they should take some time. Here's to celebrating the day, when animations stop when you cancel an action and you can start doing something like taking back out a weapon immediatelly...

Edited by bautschi

That's not really a good answer, the idea has it's reasoning behind it and if you figure out, how a weapon cleaning set works, you also know how to remove a bolt group. Especially military weapons are easy to take apart.

The destruction of a weapon seems acceptable, too, if you have an axe or a hammer, you don't need to hack the thing in two, just dent or block movable parts.

I like both options, but they should take some time. Here's to celebrating the day, when animations stop when you cancel an action and you can start doing something like taking back out a weapon immediatelly...

I just think removing the bolt from a gun is neither realistic nor necessary. I have never heard of a hold up where the person being held up had the weapon dismantled/disabled.

I like the damaging the gun option, it would give a use to the 500 weapon cleaning kits per square mile.

...I have never heard of a hold up where the person being held up had the weapon dismantled/disabled.

Well in reality I guess the gun is simply taken. But we cannot simply take another mosin and another pistol and another sawed of shotgun...not even mentioning double yielding here.

There are plenty of examples in reality of making larger weapons that you cannot simply carry unusable by taking a smaller integral part of it, like sabotaging smaller artillary or such. The real life thing simply does not work because of our inventory.

Edited by bautschi

Well in reality I guess the gun is simply taken. But we cannot simply take another mosin and another pistol and another sawed of shotgun...not even mentioning double yielding here.

There are plenty of examples in reality of making larger weapons that you cannot simply carry unusable by taking a smaller integral part of it, like sabotaging smaller artillary or such. The real life thing simply does not work because of our inventory.

I get where your coming from but unless hey start adding internal gun parts as loot, this essentially just breaks a gun. Also, in the game sense...unless you are with someone, how are you going to put your gun away, pick up theirs and do some kind of disassemble animation without your foe punching you in the face?

Also, by doing this you are just essentially leaving that person with a non functioning weapon. You aren't doing them any favors other than sparing their life. If you want to disable them temporarily so you can get away, why not just chuck their gun a ways. There's a 50/50 chance the gun didn't disappear and the action would only take a second or two.

I've only been held up a couple of times and I was able to get away each time by my foe putting their guard down for a second. This process you describe sounds like an easy one for the person being held up.

I get where your coming from but unless hey start adding internal gun parts as loot, this essentially just breaks a gun. Also, in the game sense...unless you are with someone, how are you going to put your gun away, pick up theirs and do some kind of disassemble animation without your foe punching you in the face?

I see absolutely no problem with destroying guns this way. There is a continuous flow of new ones coming in.

I said "Here's to celebrating the day, when animations stop when you cancel an action and you can start doing something like taking back out a weapon immediatelly..." earlier. Of course it will not work now, if you are alone and you cannot cancel tasks and immediatelly take out your gun again. Now that ppl can walk with their hands up, just lead them somewhere where you can control them concerning the environment, let them sit down with raised hands and move 20 meters away, your fingers just waiting to cancel the action, taking out your gun and shooting them.

Also, by doing this you are just essentially leaving that person with a non functioning weapon. You aren't doing them any favors other than sparing their life. If you want to disable them temporarily so you can get away, why not just chuck their gun a ways. There's a 50/50 chance the gun didn't disappear and the action would only take a second or two.

Chance of getting shot in the back when running away, even if not immediatelly, the guy might follow you and hunt you down. If he has no gun left, he can not do that, at least not with a gun.

I've only been held up a couple of times and I was able to get away each time by my foe putting their guard down for a second. This process you describe sounds like an easy one for the person being held up.

Currently we have many factors helping you there. The bad desync, chances are, you are already half way around the next corner, when the guy even sees you moving. Then there is also the extremely high running speed and that ppl can change direction in full sprint without slowing down for turns at all. That's a thing I hope will change. I cannot imagine the current running speed will stay in the final release either.

I'm not saying that this is really the most important thing that must happen, but it would probably result in quite a few hold ups not ending in the death of the held up guy. Currently it is simple, if you cannot take all the ammo and do not want or cannot take the weapons, killing them is the safest thing. It's not like there is a high emotional barrier like "Nooooo, we cannot kill him, the poor dear!" keeping ppl from executing held up guys. An easy way to lower their threat level might result in quite a few survivors getting a second chance. The guy I just played with tries to hold up practically everyone, if possible instead of shooting on sight. 2ppl in about 2 hours of gameplay. If we cannot be sure that the guy has no gun because of inventory restrictions, he dies.

Edited by bautschi

I love this idea, But there needs to be no indication in inventory as to wether its attached or not. Im no gun nut but would there be a subtle difference in the model for the gun as a tell tale, or would it just look normal?

The first thing that pops to mind is screening survivors....

"here man have a mosin and some ammo"

*attempts backstab*

"aaaahahahahahah"

*knock him out and reclaim your mosin for an actuall friendly lol*

Uh, yeah, I know how to remove a bolt/bolt group from a firearm mate... military firearms training kinda helps with that... that's why I suggested it.  :rolleyes:

And uh, I can't carry ALL of their guns if I'm already carrying my own, right? So... see where I'm going with this?

There is so much more fun to be had with this idea too, as mentioned above. Giving a firearm to a stranger, and seeing if he attempts to backstab you. Great trust tester.

I would love to be able to do this, not to disarm survivors but to disable guns I find that I have no use for.

Take out the bolt, throw it into the woods.

I would love to be able to do this, not to disarm survivors but to disable guns I find that I have no use for.

Take out the bolt, throw it into the woods.

I know there are ppl throwing guns somewhere so others don't find them. Maybe a valid strategy, but is it good for the game? There is a reason (or will be a reason) to how loot is distributed and in what quantities. If too many ppl did this, I think the game would suffer. If others have no guns, doesn't that make it less thrilling?

Edited by bautschi