GenghisGaz

Hi! New and Shit

Hi guys! I'm new-ish to the game, played about 17 hrs and i'm getting to grips with the mechanics of the game and so far i'm having a good-ish time. The only problem is some of the players i meet. For instance i met some seemingly nice french sounding guy, a new spawn, i gave him a pistol(NO AMMO) some food, drink and my axe. He buried the axe in my skull and took all my shit. My own fault i know. But that's just one of many acts for malice and i'm sick of these fucking bandits 

i just want to know if there are any servers with friendly players who won't attack on site and maybe help a new player get to grips with the game. I don't mind PvP but i'm alone i have no friends who play DayZ I'm new to PC gaming in general (6 Months) so i have very few friends all round really, so for now i'm lone wolfing it. I'm just so shit and other players know it and take advantage, is there anyone who would want to help a new player out? 

Things I Need to learn:

1) Navigation

2)Who and how to Trust

3)Crafting

4)Everything else

Edited by GenghisGaz
  • Like 2

1) Navigation

Get a compass or use the isurvive app for iphone

2)Who and how to Trust

I've met the bad and the good. I've met other passerby's that I do a trade with then split. It's really trial and error. You won't know someone is a bandit until its too late, and thats how the game goes. Just gotta keep playing nice and it'll payoff eventually. Or you can go on reddit or steam and they have sections where people are trying to find groups.

3)Crafting

I'll let someone else take this one.

4)Everything else

• Like 1

1. You have two options here: inside Steam you go to this site:  http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus or use the iZurvive app for Iphone.  Personally I find the last one more useful and safer.  With the first one you need to minimize the game :o

2. Trust no one.  This is not a game to socialize. Get FB instead.  My brother and I we have a rule: No KOS on civilian places until we are more aware of the other player (s) intentions.  On military bases/Airports: engage when opportunity kicks in and you have a clear advantage, good loot possibilities. Otherwise run for your life.  This varies greatly on every play style.  Just giving out my opinion here.  That is the way we play, you may find different roles/styles to your liking.  This game is very interesting regarding the PVP options.

3. Crafting: this is really vague.  Craft what?....you have lots of possiblities to craft things: fish rods, archs, camp fires, medical area...backpacks...etc

4. ?.....WTF? 

Cheers and enjoy the game.....

Edited by pizuicas
  • Like 1

1. You have two options here: inside Steam you go to this site:  http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus or use the iZurvive app for Iphone.  Personally I find the last one more useful and safer.  With the first one you need to minimize the game :o

2. Trust no one.  This is not a game to socialize. Get FB instead.  My brother and I we have a rule: No KOS on civilian places until we are more aware of the other player (s) intentions.  On military bases/Airports: engage when opportunity kicks in and you have a clear advantage, good loot possibilities. Otherwise run for your life.  This varies greatly on every play style.  Just giving out my opinion here.  That is the way we play, you may find different roles/styles to your liking.  This game is very interesting regarding the PVP options.

3. Crafting: this is really vague.  Craft what?....you have lots of possiblities to craft things: fish rods, archs, camp fires, medical area...backpacks...etc

4. ?.....WTF? 

2 Ya that play style works great but its rather boring - after you put in some time to the game you will realize the majority of the content in DayZStandalone is "socializing" in fact theres really not much to do except socialize unless your idea of a good time is to pull triggers and yell "Get Rekt!"

• Like 1

1. You have two options here: inside Steam you go to this site: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus or use the iZurvive app for Iphone. Personally I find the last one more useful and safer. With the first one you need to minimize the game :o

2. Trust no one. This is not a game to socialize. Get FB instead. My brother and I we have a rule: No KOS on civilian places until we are more aware of the other player (s) intentions. On military bases/Airports: engage when opportunity kicks in and you have a clear advantage, good loot possibilities. Otherwise run for your life. This varies greatly on every play style. Just giving out my opinion here. That is the way we play, you may find different roles/styles to your liking. This game is very interesting regarding the PVP options.

3. Crafting: this is really vague. Craft what?....you have lots of possiblities to craft things: fish rods, archs, camp fires, medical area...backpacks...etc

4. ?.....WTF?

I'll have to disagree with you on the social aspects of the game. One of the things that attracted me to the game was the different kind of player to player interaction. I've got Battlefield for the Shooting. Frankly I'm bored of the type of game. Battles between groups over land and resources is a cool mechanic. Attacking lone players unprovoked seems pointless and immature. 4 was just a joke.

I've resorted to the wiki to help me with the steep learning curves of the game. I was afraid it would ruin the game, like it did for Dark Souls. I'm not going to give up on other players I'm sure there will be some civilised people who play.

One question to anyone; Will there ever be large hordes of zombies that actually pose a threat and would force people to band together? Maybe if all the best loot was guarded. If the zombies were more dangerous people would work together to survive, rather than against.

Thanks for replying guys

• Like 1

Hi guys! I'm new-ish to the game, played about 17 hrs and i'm getting to grips with the mechanics of the game and so far i'm having a good-ish time. The only problem is some of the players i meet. For instance i met some seemingly nice french sounding guy, a new spawn, i gave him a pistol(NO AMMO) some food, drink and my axe. He buried the axe in my skull and took all my shit. My own fault i know. But that's just one of many acts for malice and i'm sick of these fucking bandits 

Don't make friends with freshspawn. Majority of them aren't freshspawn because they just bought the game and want to socialize with everyone, they're freshpawn because they've been killed. 

I wouldn't call it malice though. It's a game and most people playing it don't think anyone is actually hurt by what they do. 

Killing someone for their equipment when you got none is just a tactic to most. They don't do it because they are hateful.

Attacking lone players unprovoked seems pointless and immature.

Might seem pointless to you. It's entertainment to others.

One question to anyone; Will there ever be large hordes of zombies that actually pose a threat and would force people to band together? 

Check back after a year.

Edited by Exorade

The only problem is some of the players i meet. For instance i met some seemingly nice french sounding guy, a new spawn, i gave him a pistol(NO AMMO) some food, drink and my axe. He buried the axe in my skull and took all my shit. My own fault i know. But that's just one of many acts for malice and i'm sick of these fucking bandits

Thing is that you can't know WHY they respawned. You can usually tell by someone's voice if they're honest or hiding something. On top of that, they have nothing to lose and you have everything to lose.

At some point I asked for a guy's name and he gave me the finger and ran off. Obviously had something to hide. I chased him for a bit yelling about how I just wanted to be friends but alas.

• Like 1

Yeah, 90% of freshies are not fresh to the game. They are just fresh to that life because they got shot looting the airfield.

How social I am depends on how geared I am. If I have all camo, HCV vest, helmet, AKM, drum mag showing, etc... I pretty much stay to the periphery, run building to building and cover to cover and lone wolf it. If I'm rocking the kiddie backpack, a lousy Blaze and wool coat, I will run down the middle of the streets and happy dance anyone I see.

• Like 1

I'll have to disagree with you on the social aspects of the game. One of the things that attracted me to the game was the different kind of player to player interaction. I've got Battlefield for the Shooting. Frankly I'm bored of the type of game. Battles between groups over land and resources is a cool mechanic. Attacking lone players unprovoked seems pointless and immature. 4 was just a joke.

I've resorted to the wiki to help me with the steep learning curves of the game. I was afraid it would ruin the game, like it did for Dark Souls. I'm not going to give up on other players I'm sure there will be some civilised people who play.

One question to anyone; Will there ever be large hordes of zombies that actually pose a threat and would force people to band together? Maybe if all the best loot was guarded. If the zombies were more dangerous people would work together to survive, rather than against.

Thanks for replying guys

Precisely what I mentioned: this game is very interesting regarding PVP interactions!.....

And regarding your zombies question, I fully agree with you.  Game is about zombies, but they are hardly a threat.  I think was like 2 patches ago, that they became more agressive and harder to kill.  Then lots of people were complaining about how hard they were, etc....

Also I would love to see along with hordes of zeds, some scarse loot and some kind of food values to reach full health state.  Let´s say that you need to at least have one kind of meat, canned food and fresh ones in order to have your toon at its best......that also will help to give depth to the game play!.....

Cheers!

Hi Ghengis, welcome to dayz.  Shame about the title of your thread, sounds like yet another moaning thread but it's actually an interesting one.  Looks like the guys are helping with advice.  Any more questions just ask, you'll find most of our members are experienced players and helpful.  :thumbsup:  :beans:  

Yup, I agree there - social interaction is one of the best aspects of the game. You have everything on the line and you can never know how it turns out because it involves random people.

Shame about the title of your thread, sounds like yet another moaning thread but it's actually an interesting one.

Hmm, just sounded approachable to me. "Hi, I'm new and shit".

• Like 1

Welcome to DayZ :)

You learn as you go...

I would HIGHLY suggest you check out some of WOBO's DayZ  Videos on Youtube, very helpfull..

Good Luck and Hunt Well!!

• Like 1

Welcome Gengis. Hang in there as you learn the hard knock life of Chernarus during your first few lives.

1) Navigation

This is a bit of a hot topic amongst the community but persoally I'm not a big fan of using any of the maps from websites that show loot locations and such. I think it sort of deminishes the intrigue of exploring the map and learning which buildgins have certain types of loot and your odds of finding loot. The online maps also take away a bit from learning the landscape and lardmarks to be able to navigate your way just by knowing which direction you're headed or by identifying a far away city. No map is going to be able to teach you those skills so IMO it's best to learn them the good ole fashioned way by exploring the map on your own. Besides if you're friend says meet me at Berezino and you have to stop and look at an online map that just increases your chances of getting murdered because you weren't paying attention to your surroundings. After a while navigating should become second nature and you can roam the woods without fear of getting lost.

2)Who and how to Trust

This is something that you're just going to have to take an educated guess on. What I do is try and watch people from a distance and without them knowing I'm there. If their actions are sketchy I'll just disappear. If they seem friendly I may approach them to se if they want to trade or just talk about whatever. After a while of playing you may find a friend or two and then you'll probably team up with them on steam and the rest is history. If not there is no worry because once we get private shard servers then communities can form on those servers and it will be easier to deal with griefers and people who just want to be a dick in this game.

3)Crafting

Right now the crafting recipes are not very deep so the basics can be learned fairly easy and early on. Main thing to know is that you can rip shirts, bandanas into rags to stop bleeding. You can craft a splint by using sticks + rag or bandage. You can chop down trees and bushes to gather sticks or fire logs. There is more in the wiki that goes in depth along with other great videos showing you have to survive in this game (SepticFalcon and Wobo both do great videos about the game and updates).

4)Everything else

You have to create your own story. Best of luck out there and if we cross paths know I'm one of the nice guys (not a hero just a survivor). There are a few of us still out there but we are a rare breed. Everyone else is infected.  :D

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 1

Welcome!

i would like to present another approach and disagree with much that was said above, especially the navigation part.

DON'T go to dayzdb or a similar map website. DON'T use iZurvive on a mobile device (iOS or Android). Go out and get lost in the woods. Embrace this thrill, experience the joyous surprise of stumbling upon a settlement, the excitement of opening doors not knowing what to find, the distress of deciding whether stick to the road and risk an encounter or wander through the woods without sure knowledge when you will find another source of water and food. Enjoy it as long as you can, because once you familiarize yourself with the map, once you get used to the crutches of maps and loot databases, there is no turning back, and you will find that you have left behind a certain part of the game forever.

As for the encounter with other players: most of my encounters were friendly. Most people want to get along, but trust is rare. If there is only the slightest suspicion, many will shoot just to be sure. Ingame VOIP is key here. If you sound shady, insecure, nervous, then people will suspect you want to cross them. If you talk over the ingame VOIP, and sound friendly, polite but self-confident, you will have a much better response from others. Try approaching everyone like you would approach a feral dog.

of course you will meet people who kill you no matter what, and you will meet people like me, who are friendly no matter what - sometimes even when shot at. but hardcore killers and hardcore carebears are on the outer limits of the spectrum. most people just want to survive another play session.

Oh - try not to watch too much youtube videos. most are staged or heavily edited to present a much more entertaining, funny or crazy version of the real gameplay. People who want to show off their mlg combat skills wont post the two hours they ran together with a boring friendly scrub looting basic stuff.

• Like 2

Don't make friends with freshspawn. Majority of them aren't freshspawn because they just bought the game and want to socialize with everyone, they're freshpawn because they've been killed. 

I wouldn't call it malice though. It's a game and most people playing it don't think anyone is actually hurt by what they do. 

No one is actually hurt by what they do, unless we're going to concern ourselves with any special little snowflake tumblrinas, for whom getting killed in an apocalyptic video game might trigger their self diagnosed PTSD and send them full tilt into a panic attack.

Welcome Gengis. Hang in there as you learn the hard knock life of Chernarus during your first few lives.

1) Navigation

This is a bit of a hot topic amongst the community but persoally I'm not a big fan of using any of the maps from websites that show loot locations and such. I think it sort of deminishes the intrigue of exploring the map and learning which buildgins have certain types of loot and your odds of finding loot. The online maps also take away a bit from learning the landscape and lardmarks to be able to navigate your way just by knowing which direction you're headed or by identifying a far away city. No map is going to be able to teach you those skills so IMO it's best to learn them the good ole fashioned way by exploring the map on your own. Besides if you're friend says meet me at Berezino and you have to stop and look at an online map that just increases your chances of getting murdered because you weren't paying attention to your surroundings. After a while navigating should become second nature and you can roam the woods without fear of getting lost.

This I for the most part agree with, however I must point out that for the majority of the survivors, it would be safe to assume that they're Chernarussians, and would have an idea of the lay of the land from the outset, something new players don't. It also speeds up the learning process by using a map, because you associate this valley with this part of the map, this intersection, etc.