Chelseygunn

we need more distinctive characters!

hey everyone!! 

i definitely think we need more distinctive characters, ive been playing a couple of times with the boyfriend, and hes thought hes saw somebody, so ive literally just ran and hid to not get shot! but then hes ran round the corner and shot me dead! thinking i was that other person! super bloody annoying!! or maybe he did it on purpose i cant be sure! but we need more clothes for our characters! i find them so boring! and the girls hair! does it always have to be tied up? its probably not on most peoples list, but im sure it could bring more Ladies to the game ;) haha 

• Like 4

In my opinion there are enough clothes and hair is not a priority. Even with more distinctive characters, friendly fire can happen, at least from the distance. You two are an example of bad situation awareness and communication.

Good idea, I suggested a while ago that they add camo hunter clothing or something. Also like the hair idea, would allow more character customization and everyones character would be unique. They should just add that you can change your hair color and have 3 or 4 different hair-does to choose from. Guys and girls both, as a guy I get sick of the normal close-cut hair that the male character has, so im sure you get sick of the tied up bun too. Again, good idea.

yeah i thought some of you guys would think like that,  friendly fire doesn have to happen when you can make your characters more distinctive, and then you wont have to start again at another part of the map, its just a suggestion.. just throwing it out there.. :)

In my opinion there are enough clothes and hair is not a priority. Even with more distinctive characters, friendly fire can happen, at least from the distance. You two are an example of bad situation awareness and communication.

"OH MY GOD, ITS A GAMER GURL!"

Shut up.

This game is in alpha. There is game breaking mechanics that are being worked out.

Hair and cosmetics are going to be last on that list, i bet.

/Thread

definitely! being able to just change the hair colour and how the hair is could just be enough to tell each other apart in quickfire situations! ive got more problems than this at the mo! i cant even play it!! ;( my resolutions buggereddd

Good idea, I suggested a while ago that they add camo hunter clothing or something. Also like the hair idea, would allow more character customization and everyones character would be unique. They should just add that you can change your hair color and have 3 or 4 different hair-does to choose from. Guys and girls both, as a guy I get sick of the normal close-cut hair that the male character has, so im sure you get sick of the tied up bun too. Again, good idea.

i like your signature 8) 

Shut up.

This game is in alpha. There is game breaking mechanics that are being worked out.

/Thread

Clothing and communication is nice but you can switch clothes and communication can go wrong so its not really a good way to base character identification on this. Sure identification does not remove all friendly fire but it really reduces the occurances. Its less about squad gameplay but about meeting random strangers - if they are friendly and help you the next time you meet them you should be able to recognise them.

There should be much more different faces and probably also hair/eye colors to make characters more distinctive. Multiple body shapes would also help - see my own suggestion (link my my signature).

Shut up.

[...]

/Thread

I hate guys like this. Probably the same kind that answers posts with "who cares" or "I don't give a shit". Try to be constructive or stop posting please.

Edited by Evil Minion
  • Like 3

yeah i thought some of you guys would think like that,  friendly fire doesn have to happen when you can make your characters more distinctive, and then you wont have to start again at another part of the map, its just a suggestion.. just throwing it out there.. :)

I know.. but I am suspecting that even so, when someone just pops up in your face it can happen to shoot first and then recognize clothes. Just saying, communication and position awareness is maybe more important. :)

i like your signature 8) 

The top Gear quote, or the firing gun? Or the combination?

its difficult communicating with a stoner when hes zoned into game! especially in a quickfire situ. even when hes in the same room! haha 

I know.. but I am suspecting that even so, when someone just pops up in your face it can happen to shoot first and then recognize clothes. Just saying, communication and position awareness is maybe more important. :)

definitely! being able to just change the hair colour and how the hair is could just be enough to tell each other apart in quickfire situations! ive got more problems than this at the mo! i cant even play it!! ;( my resolutions buggereddd

Whats wrong with your resolution? I can probably help.

its difficult communicating with a stoner when hes zoned into game! especially in a quickfire situ. even when hes in the same room! haha 

Yes it is...but after some practice you'll see with different eyes.

i hope soo! changing the hair though, its a good idea! :) 

Yes it is...but after some practice you'll see with different eyes.

• Like 1

i reset my laptop, then downloaded steam and all games again, but day z is the only game that the resolutions totally buggered so i cant read the writing or anything, ive tried deletting it and reintstalling it but its exactly the same :/ im crap with computers too! so that doesnt help.

Whats wrong with your resolution? I can probably help.

i reset my laptop, then downloaded steam and all games again, but day z is the only game that the resolutions totally buggered so i cant read the writing or anything, ive tried deletting it and reintstalling it but its exactly the same :/ im crap with computers too! so that doesnt help.

This happened to me too when I first downloaded the game, and I figured out how to fix it. Go to main menu of Dayz, hit configure (4th option down I think) then hit video (of the 4 buttons at bottom of window its top left)  then hit the button in top left corner again (forget what its called) and change resolution (the top option of the 3) and change it to your monitors maximum resolution (whatever is 2nd to bottom should be max, because windowed is on very bottom.)

Hope I helped, good luck fixing it!

will give this a go thank you.. il let you know how it works out :)

This happened to me too when I first downloaded the game, and I figured out how to fix it. Go to main menu of Dayz, hit configure (4th option down I think) then hit video (of the 4 buttons at bottom of window its top left)  then hit the button in top left corner again (forget what its called) and change resolution (the top option of the 3) and change it to your monitors maximum resolution (whatever is 2nd to bottom should be max, because windowed is on very bottom.)

Hope I helped, good luck fixing it!

Dean talked about adding arm bands and other identifying methods to the game... sadly we just have to wait.  I'd love to see selectable hair styles/growing hair in game though.  I believe there was a thread on that recently... but I'm too lazy right now to go hunt it down.

I think one of the guys we play with had that problem as well... I think the solution was editing the resolution in the config file manually. Search for DayZ standalone config resolution or something. You'll be bound to hit something useful sooner or later.

Even the women in game look (are played by) men. You can play as Rocket in experimental, thats the closest youll get XD

Also, run. Very fast. The kids are coming.

It would be nice if Rocket wasted resources on a good advanced character customization system,rather

than putting his head ingame...for a game that has almost no other means of indefication,

facial features would really mean the world to social interactions.

Hair is set that way because its low poly and low animation, therefore it doesn't use up much in the way of computing horsepower.

As for identifying someone you play with, simple! just use either hats or shoes, any time i squad up we stick to voice comms, update positions and all wear something similar and distinguished so we can recognize each other and hold fire till we get a voice confirmation.

We initially squad up, decide on a feature (Hold fire on anyone shoeless/wearing a beret/radar/yellow raincoat etc) then move out and keep each other updated on the environment, call out spots, call out present locations, directions, shots fired and the like, have a strat meeting before going into a town so we know roughly how things are going to play, where we need to hit, likely locations of all players in our squad/unit/team or whatever, fall back positions, rendezvous points.

Keeps us safe mostly (unless there's a breakdown in comms coupled with people being out of position or going rambo) and you begin to function more efficiently, its fun being able to hit a city, grab up supplies, then safely fall back to the rendezvous and share gear round a camp fire, someone goes on a bottle run, food run, ammo run, med run and a couple of misc runners, everyone meets back safe and the entire squad gets what they need :)
More fun still is arguing over who's going to do what, "HELL NO! you where on Overwatch last run, your hitting up the police station in Berezino this time numbnuts!"

I love playing lone wolf and soloing but there's a lot to be said for effective communication and running with a squad, and its a whole lot more fun when things go completely pete tong and everyone gets wiped, gear is transitional but mocking a team mate for a cock up last forever :D

• Like 1

Shut up.

/Thread

The epitome of a person with no tact. Go alpha defend in a thread where someone doesn't have a legit complaint. Seriously.

They have time for tanker helmets and a bunch of other useless crap nobody specifically wants, while at the same time trying to fix bugs and add content (not complaining BTW) but no time for character customization? If they have time for one remedial task they have time for others.

Now back on topic.

OP I agree totally, me and my group have started wearing different clothes, looking for rarer items and certain things to make the differences obvious. Because we've killed each other once or twice. But I bet they will add a lot more clothing eventually, and more character customization definitely.

I hate guys like this. Probably the same kind that answers posts with "who cares" or "I don't give a shit". Try to be constructive or stop posting please.

Lol Yea, lets talk about being constructive.

You just commented on a thread in an ALPHA game that is recommending more clothing options and hair styles.

ORLY? lol

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.j

The epitome of a person with no tact. Go alpha defend in a thread where someone doesn't have a legit complaint. Seriously.

They have time for tanker helmets and a bunch of other useless crap nobody specifically wants, while at the same time trying to fix bugs and add content (not complaining BTW) but no time for character customization? If they have time for one remedial task they have time for others.

Lol.

You realize that tanker helmets and the new body Armour server a purpose in the game, right?

They reduce damage, and give you more space to hold items.

How the hell is that the same as changing your hair style?