Sign in to follow this  
s227mario

Friendly or Bandit?

I have been playing DayZ for a while now, but I haven't met anyone yet. I was wondering what you guys think I should do if I come across someone. Should I shoot on sight or take some risks and try to be friendly?

Edited by s227mario

This is something only you can answer, if you shoot on site, you will NEVER meet anyone

• Like 1

Ask the Magic Eight Ball.......  it knows all

R for Rhyme :lol:

I have been playing DayZ for a while now, but I haven't met anyone yet. I was wondering what you guys think I should do if I come across someone. Should I shoot on sight or take some risks and try to be friendly?

I'm always down for being friendly, but because of dayz's current conditions on this kinda subject, I'd say KoS if the gun isn't on the back.

KoS is the way of the coward. Not to insult, just literally the truth. You need to be brave to hold back the fear in order to control an encounter and know that you will kill them only if you need to, but it will be their choice whether they live or die. The simple way out is to shoot the moment you feel you have the upper hand. There's a lot more to be had from this game by fighting through the fear and developing the skills to turn a situation in your favour.

• Like 4

The small group/squad that I play with are usually carrying our weapons out but not raised when we're in a town or city just as a precaution but we don't shoot on sight if we see someone.  We'd rather try to communicate with the person first to see how they react and our reaction is based on their reaction.  Each situation is different but if someone doesn't answer back we are ready to defend ourselves.  So, just because someone has their weapon out doesn't mean they're hositle.  I'd give you the shirt off my back if you asked me but that's just me and how I approach the game.  What you decide to do is up to you but I think it's harder and more of a challenge being friendly and trying to communicate with a total stranger.  I've died a lot in this game doing it this way but the people I've met and chatted with make up for all the negatives....I'm not attached to any of my gear.  

Do what you feel, thats how i go about it... situation by situation

I also love people watching without them noticing me... the second they go bandit i kill them

sometimes i run around acting like a complete insane man... 

Handing a fresh spawn an apple while shooting his friend in the face for enslaving baseball bats 

All while mumbling about Whale feces 

In conclusion .... do whats fun!

Do what you feel, thats how i go about it... situation by situation

I also love people watching without them noticing me... the second they go bandit i kill them

sometimes i run around acting like a complete insane man... 

Handing a fresh spawn an apple while shooting his friend in the face for enslaving baseball bats 

All while mumbling about Whale feces 

In conclusion .... do whats fun!

haha

If theyre all geared up i say shoot, ive only had the game a week or so and every person ive ran into besides 1(who was a fresh spawn) started shooting as soon as they saw me.

You really have to evaluate the situation you're in.  If they're well armed, be careful.  Play it safe.  There's a lot of KoS players who KoS because they don't want to lose their gear to a bambi with one bullet and some luck.  However, if you feel they're not moving in a hostile way?  Gun lowered and stuff?  I'd say take the risk.  But always do what you can to keep the odds in your favor.  Have a way out.

I generally do not shoot on sight, and am not a very cautious player so I die a lot, that's okay.  The way I see it, is now that I have all the military gear?  It's time to go meet people.  If someone kills me and takes it?  Well, horray!  Loot pinata!  It's why I usually keep my hunter pack full of goodies.  Being friendly pays off in DayZ..but, more often than not, it won't.

As they say, at ones own risk.

• Like 1

Much of the pleasure in playing DayZ is spoiled because of those poor bastards that shoot on sight.  Being friendly and meeting people exposes you to risks but makes your gaming experience much more enjoyable - there's no comparison.

If you want to play it safe, start your first contact with someone that doesn't carry a rifle, and stay at a distance.

If you are fresh spawn running to a town such as Berezino in which a large firefight is going on, there is a good chance you will get KoS.  You might be mistaken for someone recently killed who is trying to loot their own body, or possibly a member of a squad trying to link back up to get duped, etc.  Going to such a town makes about as much sense as a summer vacation in Iraq right now...

Friendly all the way! But don't assume everyone else are...

A good example of how I and the guys I play with approach the game.  This doesn't happen like this all the time but every now and then you will meet other players that aren't KOS players.  I think it's worth the effort to talk first rather than just start shooting......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo6h8iQCrLo

• Like 1

R for Rhyme :lol:

I'm always down for being friendly, but because of dayz's current conditions on this kinda subject, I'd say KoS if the gun isn't on the back.

Who walks around with their gun on their back? Regardless of whether you are friendly or bandit that is silly and will get you killed, 

OP. The ideal is to see the other player first, and then to stalk them. Watch them for a bit without letting them see you and see what they are up to. If they are roaming around and don't KOS as soon as they see a player then you can approach them and try and communicate. Once you've communicated you can judge whether or not to come out into the open to them. However, if they have a mosin with a LRS and spend all their time moving between vantage points and keeing their eye pressed to their scope aiming at popular areas/buildings then they are probably a bandit and you should kill them.

KoS is the way of the coward. Not to insult, just literally the truth.

Hmm.  But some of us sociopaths like killing.  Fear has nothing to do with anything.  Some of us fear nothing because there is no real loss to be had. 

One player may hold the point of view that gear is trivial, yet necessary.  The best place to acquire gear is off of another player.  That same player may look and the game and think:

"Well, this game has 3 main things; a big sandbox, weapons, and other people.  What's there to do but shoot other people?  It's like the game wants you to kill people."

Then, that player meets another fellow player with a completely different point of view.

"I need to avoid death at all costs.  If I gear up then I can defend myself and my chances of death will decrease."

And of course, this invariably leads to more paranoia about losing your gear.  So when these two player types interact, someone dies.  People are often labeled bandits when in fact, they see it as just a game.  People kill others because they know they can't do that in real life.

Just because you shoot someone in a video game (that provides the perfect setting for murder) when there is no actual consequences, it doesn't make you a coward. :)

I have been playing DayZ for a while now, but I haven't met anyone yet.

<_<  Methinks you haven't been playing 'for a while now' if you haven't met anyone yet.   If you really have been playing for a substantial amount of time then you're extraordinarily lucky/unlucky (depending on point of view) to not have seen anyone.  I will assume then that you play on low pop servers.  My advice is to go onto a higher population server and die promptly.  Practice dying.  The more that you die, the better you'll become at looting/fighting/whathaveyou.

Edited by Parazight

Much of the pleasure in playing DayZ is spoiled because of those poor bastards that shoot on sight.  Being friendly and meeting people exposes you to risks but makes your gaming experience much more enjoyable - there's no comparison.

Oh jeez.  I wish I had a ruble for all the times that I thought to myself that killing a mouth-breathing, illiterate, teenage brat on sight would've been the wiser decision.

Who walks around with their gun on their back? Regardless of whether you are friendly or bandit that is silly and will get you killed, 

OP. The ideal is to see the other player first, and then to stalk them. Watch them for a bit without letting them see you and see what they are up to. If they are roaming around and don't KOS as soon as they see a player then you can approach them and try and communicate. Once you've communicated you can judge whether or not to come out into the open to them. However, if they have a mosin with a LRS and spend all their time moving between vantage points and keeing their eye pressed to their scope aiming at popular areas/buildings then they are probably a bandit and you should kill them.

Plenty of people walk around with their gun on their fucking back? I see it tons of times.

Plenty of people walk around with their gun on their fucking back? I see it tons of times.

1. Where's the need to swear?

2. Plenty of people are idiots.

Edited by GeorgieBest

The rate it takes to remove ur gun from ur back another player can kill you before u can react...

Most people I meet who shoulder their guns do it for 3 reasons:

1. They have no ammo and want to appear less aggressive

2. They are in the middle of traveling through a save stretch and want to do so quickly.

3. They have crappy gear and dont care if they lose it.

Lets see u run around with a kitted AKM and shoulder it when your near other armed players.

One way to approach someone that is alone is to be hidden and ask over comms if they are friendly.  If they seem friendly, take a chance and make yourself visible.  If the player has a visible weapon, as them to put it away before you make yourself visible.  That way they won't kill you right away.  Lol.

If there is a group of people...  you are probably better off not approaching them, as one of them is bound to cap you in the face.  xD

Meeting people is a numbers game... the more you ask, the better chance you'll have of finding nice players.  But unfortunately, you will also come upon douche bags.  

The best way of meeting new people, is to try to meet people right after you spawn, when you have nothing to lose.  That way, if you are killed, you lost nothing.  Meeting people after you find nice gear, is much more riskier because players will have the incentive of killing you for your stuff.

The rate it takes to remove ur gun from ur back another player can kill you before u can react...

Most people I meet who shoulder their guns do it for 3 reasons:

1. They have no ammo and want to appear less aggressive

2. They are in the middle of traveling through a save stretch and want to do so quickly.

3. They have crappy gear and dont care if they lose it.

Lets see u run around with a kitted AKM and shoulder it when your near other armed players.

i would if I didn't want to die?

i would if I didn't want to die?

Most people in dayz will opt to kill you when your gun is not out rather than risk engaging you on equal footing

Most people in dayz will opt to kill you when your gun is not out rather than risk engaging you on equal footing

What's your point here? It was my suggestion. It's up to him, lol.

Oh jeez.  I wish I had a ruble for all the times that I thought to myself that killing a mouth-breathing, illiterate, teenage brat on sight would've been the wiser decision.

You'll never know if they are teenage brats or not if you kill them on sight.