d.walker43

make gunshots louder?

Hi guys, so my idea is that gun shots be made much louder. Right now they are extremely quiet, and can only be heard from pretty short distances away. High-caliber rounds such as Mosin or M4 should be able to be heard from several miles away. Any zombies in the area should automatically become interested and move to the location, not at full speed but maybe 50% to 75% speed. This would also make silencers and using smaller rounds much more useful, and once more zombies are added it will add a bit more of a stealth element because you don't want to attract hordes of zombies.

I know this happens in real life because about 8 miles away from my house there is a shooting range, occasionally when im out in the backyard I can hear shots going off. Obviously they are very quiet, and I usually can only hear what are obviously higher caliber rounds. But in Dayz, you can only hear a mosin from under 1 mile away. This also would not be very hard to implement, the devs wouldn't have to create anything from scratch, and then just upload the new sounds. I know its hard obviously, but not as hard as most suggestions are.

Anyway, there's my idea. any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

• Like 14

Completely agree -- I also suggested recently to add ringing of the ears for firing weapons without ear protection which was much better accepted than I thought it would be.

• Like 2

Completely agree -- I also suggested recently to add ringing of the ears for firing weapons without ear protection which was much better accepted than I thought it would be.

Great idea and its mostly true, but...theres no ear protection currently in dayz, so that would have to be implemented too.

even better Fix gunshots because at times even if someones shooting a mosin and they are right beside you sometimes the Audio cue for the shot won't play.

Most times on patrol in Afghanistan i did not have ear protection or just didnt wear them because im an idiot.  I still have amazing hearing...from what some of the older guys i worked with said, your body does crazy things in times of distress such as war, life or death situations and things of that nature.   In these moments my ears were almost as good as the Noise Canceling Ear Protection i would have.  Something with the blood withdrawing from my ears or ear drums to deafen the sound of the guns.

Yet if i was at the range with no ear protection i would get a ring from my first shot if i wasnt wearing them....Obviously i understand they make ear protection for a reason, im just stating the fact that ears along with many other things in the human body have self saving functions.....

In this game there is no non combat shooting so who knows if everyone would get the ring.....not to mention the cal. of the rounds your shooting.

Louder gunshots and their sounds should be tweaked though i do agree on making it a little bit realer sounding.

Edited by Goove
  • Like 2

Totally +1 this, was just thinking how gun shots need to be louder. I've actually turned up my volume because I wanted the gun shots to be louder but then everything else gets louder, and I don't want that. And as for the audio protection/ ringing of the ear thing, I also +1 that.

Most times on patrol in Afghanistan i did not have ear protection or just didnt wear them because im an idiot.  I still have amazing hearing...from what some of the older guys i worked with said, your body does crazy things in times of distress such as war, life or death situations and things of that nature.   In these moments my ears were almost as good as the Noise Canceling Ear Protection i would have.  Something with the blood withdrawing from my ears or ear drums to deafen the sound of the guns.

Yet if i was at the range with no ear protection i would get a ring from my first shot if i wasnt wearing them....Obviously i understand they make ear protection for a reason, im just stating the fact that ears along with many other things in the human body have self saving functions.....

In this game there is no non combat shooting so who knows if everyone would get the ring.....not to mention the cal. of the rounds your shooting.

Louder gunshots and their sounds should be tweaked though i do agree on making it a little bit realer sounding.

Personally I've found that hand guns will always mess with my ears while rifles and assault rifles almost never bother me.  I was fortunate enough to never have to fire a weapon in combat, but I had heard about this happening to people -- perhaps they should add some form of 'adrenaline' mode to players so when they enter combat they gain a few benefits like infinite/faster sprinting, steadier aim, ear protection from gunshots etc.  The only problem would be figuring out when to implement this... would the guy who was trying to snipe a group of 4 armed men get an adrenaline rush before his first shot, etc.

Edited by Rigor Mortis
  • Like 2

Personally I've found that hand guns will always mess with my ears while rifles and assault rifles almost never bother me.  I was fortunate enough to never have to fire a weapon in combat, but I had heard about this happening to people -- perhaps they should add some form of 'adrenaline' mode to players so when they enter combat they gain a few benefits like infinite/faster sprinting, steadier aim, ear protection from gunshots etc.  The only problem would be figuring out when to implement this... would the guy who was trying to snipe a group of 4 armed men get an adrenaline rush before his first shot, etc.

Its a good idea, but it would be nearly impossible to add. you would constantly be getting random adrenaline rushes, and people sniping and such would get them too and it would never work properly. good idea, just impossible to implement into the video game world.

Its a good idea, but it would be nearly impossible to add. you would constantly be getting random adrenaline rushes, and people sniping and such would get them too and it would never work properly. good idea, just impossible to implement into the video game world.

Agreed - just throwing a possible answer out there.

I think not having bugged sounds is a bigger priority. A lot of times me and my mates stand right next to each other and only some of us hear the shot,. They need to work a lot on the consistency of the sound engine. Also I think ur underestimating the difficulties of introducing a bigger sound radius, however I do agree with you that gunshots should be heard further away if it's possible to implement.

First of all it would be kilometers not miles.

Gunshots are peculiar, the report of a weapon depends on the caliber, surroundings, ammunition, barrel length, angle of the shot, etc.

So we can't just make them louder, it would make no sense.

Shot report travelling farther would be really nice. But I don't think it should be realistic. If you can sometimes hear shots from a firing range 8 miles away... I would not want some in Kamenka to be able to hear my shooting in Kamyshovo. Firing a single bullet would risk drawing other players in from at /least/ a quarter of the entire map. It would be constant gunfire.

if you're in a canyon, gunfire will be concentrated and funneled up/down the canyon, can be hear as far as 2-3 miles away. 
if you're on a hill top or there's just nothing around you, sound will dissipate into the air quickly, maybe 3/4 mile to 1 mile. 
if you;re in the woods/ or there's lots of trees surrounding you, the trees & various kinds of plants will quickly dissipate & dampen the sound, maybe 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile. 

also- that 7.62x54r rifle- is it a rifle or a carbine? the carbines makes a bigger muzzle blast that is basically louder and can be heard more distinctively. 

wind also plays a factor too. So there needs to be a atmosphere system involved if this was to become possible.

Edited by Azzerrrr

I agree, gunshots are definitely too quiet at the minute.

I live something like 8 kilometers away from military firing range (7.62 assault rifles) and I can hear shooting from here.

Between my house and the firing range is about 1km wide residental area and rest is roads / forest.

But I don't think it should be that far in game like this.

2km would be nice for high caliber assault rifles, hunting shotguns etc.

Hi guys, so my idea is that gun shots be made much louder. Right now they are extremely quiet, and can only be heard from pretty short distances away. High-caliber rounds such as Mosin or M4 should be able to be heard from several miles away. Any zombies in the area should automatically become interested and move to the location, not at full speed but maybe 50% to 75% speed. This would also make silencers and using smaller rounds much more useful, and once more zombies are added it will add a bit more of a stealth element because you don't want to attract hordes of zombies.

I know this happens in real life because about 8 miles away from my house there is a shooting range, occasionally when im out in the backyard I can hear shots going off. Obviously they are very quiet, and I usually can only hear what are obviously higher caliber rounds. But in Dayz, you can only hear a mosin from under 1 mile away. This also would not be very hard to implement, the devs wouldn't have to create anything from scratch, and then just upload the new sounds. I know its hard obviously, but not as hard as most suggestions are.

Anyway, there's my idea. any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Keep in mind that the map is only 15x15 kilometers. The range can't get that much bigger without making it ridiculous ingame.

Keep in mind that the map is only 15x15 kilometers. The range can't get that much bigger without making it ridiculous ingame.

true, but right now it can probably be heard from within 1 kilometer away. I think around 3 kilometers seems like a reasonable number. I also think that many people have suggested the map be made bigger, once they add vehicles and such the current map will probably be too small, so they may expand in that area.

I think gunshots are loud enough. They can be heard across most cities. You don't want the sound to bleed into the environment too much because that would just be confusing.

I love the idea of gun sounds travelling more range, especially according to calibre and angle.

I would like to hear a bit of echo to reflect the valley, woods, indoors or city environment.

How does a .45 suppressed really sound? :

http://youtu.be/3Lsx0WAetsI

Yes gun sounds should be a major consideration for players.

Bows, knives, axes, small sub sonic ammo and suppressors will become much more popular.

Caboose, in the Netherlands we call your remark a "dooddoener" (literal translation: death doer). An 'argument' that's sucks all life out of a lively discussion or proposal. Rendering everybody miserable and depressed.

Your remark is also irrelevant to the suggestions forum section because suggestions are things that are not yet in the game.

Your remark belongs to bug-reports.

Back to suggestions.

I think good sounds and sound design is vital for Dayz, a game that hinges on ambiance and setting.

So hearing muffled distant sounds and echos of struggles and fights greatly increases the fear and terror.

I would like also people to make sounds and screams of agony when getting shot, or being in severe pain. The current zen Buddhist like silence is really stale and unrealistic.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

Caboose, in the Netherlands we call your remark a "dooddoener" (literal translation: death doer). An 'argument' that's sucks all life out of a lively discussion or proposal. Rendering everybody miserable and depressed.

Your remark is also irrelevant to the suggestions forum section because suggestions are things that are not yet in the game.

Your remark belongs to bug-reports.

Back to suggestions.

I think good sounds and sound design is vital for Dayz, a game that hinges on ambiance and setting.

So hearing muffled distant sounds and echos of struggles and fights greatly increases the fear and terror.

I would like also people to make sounds and screams of agony when getting shot, or being in severe pain. The current zen Buddhist like silence is really stale and unrealistic.

If you can't hear them how do you make them louder?  Fix the broken sound then tune the goddamn loudness.  Is that hard to figure out?  As your own stupid point states, this topic isn't a suggestion and more of a bug because when you can hear them they are loud and can be heard from quite a long ways away.