craigotron

Why is it so hard to install and run?

So I decided to play Dayz having  heard so much about it,  and wondered why it was so hard to install- I had to download a torrent, move the files  into special folders on my PC I didnt know about and than it didnt even start. The instructions were undecipherable and I downloaded something called playwithsix and it still wouldn't load up! Why can't it be easier? Gave up after an hour!!

Why can't it be easier, or have I missed something out here??

Hmmm are you trying to install dayz mod or standalone?

EDIT -

If its standalone the all you need to do is buy it on steam, then it automaticly downloads and gives you a desktop shortcut.

If its the mod then google "dayz commander"

1, Install commander

2, Go to "install/update" tab

3, Make sure dayz and arma 2 beta are up to date

4, Browse for a server in commander

5, Enjoy :)

Edited by Karmaterror

Hi, ttrying to install the MOD, as the 'standalone' was £20.

I gave up with Commander, but will try again tonight! Your instructions way clearer, though what is beta?

You will see on the "install/update" tab, very top, something like "arma 2 beta patch" then a version (and wether its up to date or out of date). If its out of date just use the drop down box to pick newest version and hit install :)

Edited by Karmaterror

It is really easy to install and get DayZ going.

• Download ARMA 2 from Steam
  • Run ARMA 2
  • Download ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead from Steam
  • Run ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead
  • Downlad DayZ Mod from Steam
  • Run DayZ Mod

Done.

• Like 4

I still don't know what a 'mod' is- and it didn't work- couldn't find how to start DayZ in Arma2- it should be easier....

I still don't know what a 'mod' is- and it didn't work- couldn't find how to start DayZ in Arma2- it should be easier....

A 'mod' is a modification of an existing game.

The DayZ Mod is a modification of Arma2, the 'DayZ Standalone' is a new game currently in development.

To start DayZ Mod, simple follow kichilron's instructions, it is very easy.

If you still find it completely impossible, I'd recommend sticking with playing unmodified games. User developed modifications (mods) always require a little more patience than the games they are based on, it is the nature of the beast.

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 1

Hello there

Also ensure you are using the steam version of Arma 2 not one included in a torrent, youll only have problems further down the line.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

i am using the steam version, but nothing seems to work, i just cant get it to start, or find out how to start- oh well, will try again later on!

In such case i would advise you to buy a standalone version from Steam, as all you have to do to play it is to run the game :)

Hi, ttrying to install the MOD, as the 'standalone' was £20.

I gave up with Commander, but will try again tonight! Your instructions way clearer, though what is beta?

Hi there, you say that the standalone is 20 so you don't want to buy it, but do you know that in order to play the mod, you have to buy ArmA 2 and ArmA Operation Arrowhead? The mod itself is free, but the games needed to install the mod onto them or not. I know that in U.S. money, Arma 2/Operation Arrowhead are a total of $25, and the standalone is $30. so there is a very small price difference, I personally suggest standalone as its 1) easier to download/play and 2) it will eventually be way more advanced then the mod is currently and have way more features.

as to your beta question, a beta a pretty much finished game, but not 100% finished and released yet, mainly so people can test out the main parts of a game. Dayz is currently in alpha, meaning that the game works, but does not have all features implemented yet, and they will be added later.

But I have Arma 2 and the expansion packs already (bought them ages ago, but I've only recently got a laptop that can handle any graphics).

And thanks for explaining what Beta is!

You just keep saying "it doesn't work", which is as descriptive as saying "Something happened" as a witness in a murder-charge.

We would be more than willing to help you out, but you're giving us absolutely nothing to work with here. Some information as to what is going on on your screen when "it doesn't work".

• Like 1

so ive installed it, updated it, but when loading up arma 2 it doesnt show anywhere when i try to play online!!

so ive installed it, updated it, but when loading up arma 2 it doesnt show anywhere when i try to play online!!

When you launch "DayZ Mod" it should go into the multiplayer-menu and show you a button named "Multiplayer" - which takes you a Multiplayer-browser.

In there you will be able to click on "Filter" to filter for names, such as "DayZ" or "1.8.1" as that is the most recent version available on Steam.

If you now double-click on one of the servers showing up in the list it will take you into the lobby where you can join the game.

I can't stress this enough - please include as specific descriptions as possible, otherwise you won't receive appropriate help...

• Like 1

In the end, did you manage to run it?

I also had problems because I didn't know you have to run both Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA before running DayZ (I played only OA so far). But once I figured it out, it was really easy as kichilron said above.

Hi

I'm new to DayZ but im learning

Ive downloaded Arma2 and Arma operation Arrowhead

Ive downloaded DayZ commander

Ive im installing mods via commander

Ive downloaded DayZMod from Steam

but

On commander it wont verify arma2 or operation arrowhead (if this is a requirement for playing online DayZmod)

when i run the downloaded dayzmod from steam i click to join a server and a pop up opens asking me to delete certain files from arma2

Could anyone suggest or help me resolve the issue as i would love to play online

thanks and any reply greatly apreciated

DayZ Launcher....Commander has been hokey lately

Just run the mod via Steam, it's much easier. Launch Arma 2 and Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead up the the main menu once each and then run DayZ mod through Steam.

• Like 1

ive ran both of arma2 and oa once and then opened up dayzmod but it says that i need to delete files from arma2 to join a server