gtefox

No RCon Support anymore?

Hi there,

just wanted to know why RCon isn't supported anymore?

I tried to login with DaRT and it failed.

Also we don't have any beserver.cfg in our Serverfiles anymore.

I contacted our Hosting Company, but all they said was that RCon was stopped by the Devs. from DayZ.

Why?

It was the only Tool (besides the InGame Tool) that Admins had to administer their Servers and now we can't use it anymore :/

When will RCon return?

Hopefully never, this game will be much better off if all server owners can do is restart it and name it, and all be on the public hive. 

Hopefully never, this game will be much better off if all server owners can do is restart it and name it, and all be on the public hive. 

Because Battleye does a grand job of banning people the moment they're caught hacking or being abusive... 

• Like 1

You can kick/ban People also with the Ingame Tool btw...

just if you think that Admins can't kick/ban anymore without a RCon Tool and yeah, i think people what want to cheat, hack and exploit would be happy if Admins only could do the things you said.

The only Thing that would make that Game better is when all those little bastards with no skill (thats what i call cheaters) would stop playing DayZ.

And just for the notice, our Server is on the Public Hive...

Will be much better when servers are not all stuck on the public hive, for hackers to destroy the experience, and "elite players" who gear up on 0 population servers then go KOS crazy on busy ones. The whole idea of the public hive is what killed the mod, it will kill standalone, the amount of hackers recently is beyond a joke. More control to the server admins.

• Like 2

Will be much better when servers are not all stuck on the public hive, for hackers to destroy the experience, and "elite players" who gear up on 0 population servers then go KOS crazy on busy ones. The whole idea of the public hive is what killed the mod, it will kill standalone, the amount of hackers recently is beyond a joke. More control to the server admins.

Agree completely. I long for the day I can deal with hackers and abusers myself and not wait a few days or even weeks until BE catches them.

• Like 1

Have you never run a server? Or, are you a hacker?

If it's neither of those, you must have played on the wrong servers.

• Like 1

Have you never run a server? Or, are you a hacker?

If it's neither of those, you must have played on the wrong servers.

Just someone who isnt a sheep, Ive seen one hacker in all my time, and all he did was take my clothing.

Just someone who isnt a sheep, Ive seen one hacker in all my time, and all he did was take my clothing.

That's strange, for someone who "isn't a sheep" you must spend an awful lot of time in fields and woods to have only ever encountered 1 hacker.

That's strange, for someone who "isn't a sheep" you must spend an awful lot of time in fields and woods to have only ever encountered 1 hacker.

Woods arounf berezino are pretty popular.

Woods arounf berezino are pretty popular.

Thanks for that little nugget of information. 

And why you don't want that Admins can use RCon Tools?

What you say makes absolutly no sense..

Kick/Ban is allready in the Ingame Commands..

So whats the deal that you don't want them to use such Tools like DaRT etc.?

It's like you buying a Car and some random Guy comes out of Nowhere and tells you, you only are allowed to open/close the door of it, but you aren't allowed to drive it.

And yeah, just to come back to the Thread:

When can we use RCon again?

Edited by SniperMexican
  • Like 1

im pretty sure admin tools will be available once the game releases.

the reasons why there are tight restrictions on server configuration is the same why only large, established GSPs are allowed to host: controlled testing environment.

that said, i have to admit i have seen much more instances of admins abusing their tools than hackers in the mod, and i expect it will be the same in the standalone. the only hope is that most of the powertripping ballerinas will take their server out of the public hive

im pretty sure admin tools will be available once the game releases.

the reasons why there are tight restrictions on server configuration is the same why only large, established GSPs are allowed to host: controlled testing environment.

that said, i have to admit i have seen much more instances of admins abusing their tools than hackers in the mod, and i expect it will be the same in the standalone. the only hope is that most of the powertripping ballerinas will take their server out of the public hive

This is your Opinion.

My experiences and our Facebook Page for our Server tells me another Story.

Almost Daily we get Requests to kick/ban or deal with Cheaters, Exploiter, Bugroom Users and so on.

Fact is, we can't proof it without the right Tools and can't administer our server as we should do as Admins.

It sucks so damn hard to tell this people who requesting that we can't do anything about it because we don't have the tools to investigate those players.

Meanwile we switched to say to those people that they shouldn't blame us when we can't do anything about such garbage like Hackers and Cheaters. They should blame Bohemia for don't give us at least one or two Tools to administer our Server.

Its ok that Bohemia want to test their Game and the Servers for it. But if i would work for this Company, i sure didn't would give a single fuck on Feedback from Cheaters or Hackers. Guys who using Third-Party Software should get banned from the game as soon as possible and that is my opinion.

Edited by SniperMexican
  • Like 3

I have made the same experience as SniperMexican. Without any support it is next to impossible to run a server with a healthy community. At least they should give admins limited log access. Admins should be able to see who killed whom and when. I think most players do not recognize how much work admins put into their servers.  

• Like 1

And why you don't want that Admins can use RCon Tools?

What you say makes absolutly no sense..

Kick/Ban is allready in the Ingame Commands..

So whats the deal that you don't want them to use such Tools like DaRT etc.?

It's like you buying a Car and some random Guy comes out of Nowhere and tells you, you only are allowed to open/close the door of it, but you aren't allowed to drive it.

And yeah, just to come back to the Thread:

When can we use RCon again?

With great power comes great responsibility and majority of server renters do not have responsibility.  Let's use the RCon from Rust for example, admins could give gear to themselves or whoever they wanted; bad.  This is why a lot of players do not want admins to have any powers besides ban/kick.

I also miss the Tools, They were so helpful, especially Dart, I would sit with it online 24/7 and if anyone ever thought someone was hacking, all they had to do was type Admin and the problem and I would Look into it by combing through the logs, If it was a hacker or anything else similar then I would dish out a kick/Ban and If the person re-offended I always had their IP address that I could ban if they changed their names.

Now I feel Im flying blind, People could be hacking, and I have no way to even speak to any of the clans or communities that visit my server, So unless I witness it, I am unable to ever Ban a hacker from my server. This means if my server is hacked often that people will not come onto it, which ruins the whole experience.

So if it stays this way I doubt I will keep my server, since I may as well just be playing and letting someone else worry about it, which i think is unfair.

Ok wtf is up with this? I've read through and still don't understand why RCon would be taken away, unless the goal is to grief players and admins alike. Am I missing something?

I've recently been given access to a few servers as an Admin and I'm beginning to think it's because others didn't want to be bothered with policing a server without necessary tools. When I was just a player on these servers we'd report if someone was hacking and then it would be confirmed by what I'm assuming to have been this RCon. Now when people come to me with reports of hackers I need certain info in order to actually kick/ban the right player.

Taking a tool away that helps identify a problem or single out those who are the problem only helps those who are in fact breaking the rules. What the hell are people smoking?! Those who abuse admin power can still kick/ban those who join their servers. Why or how?  Because they see who's joined and it's not their butt buddy so they just kick/ban. A hacker/scripter loves this shit because they go for high pops and they can get away with it too, because admins lack the tools necessary to identify them out of the 40 or so other players. 

I just don't get it. If I'm indeed missing something please educate me, I'd honestly appreciate it.

Also (what brought me here in the first place) does anyone know of a name proxy hack/script?

I was given confirmation that an asshole deserves a ban, but I am new to the whole process so I had to learn the commands and log on to the full pop server. Once I did it restarted/crashed and the perp was gone. "If he joins again I'll get him", I thought, but we do have a few servers. So I check the others and notice a player with the exact same last 4 digits in his name (being #'s and symbols) I know it's likely to be him, but can't/won't ban for that. If there's some kinda name scramble tool out there I would, but I have yet to find any info on its existence. 

• Like 1

I also miss the Tools, They were so helpful, especially Dart, I would sit with it online 24/7 and if anyone ever thought someone was hacking, all they had to do was type Admin and the problem and I would Look into it by combing through the logs, If it was a hacker or anything else similar then I would dish out a kick/Ban and If the person re-offended I always had their IP address that I could ban if they changed their names.

Now I feel Im flying blind, People could be hacking, and I have no way to even speak to any of the clans or communities that visit my server, So unless I witness it, I am unable to ever Ban a hacker from my server. This means if my server is hacked often that people will not come onto it, which ruins the whole experience.

So if it stays this way I doubt I will keep my server, since I may as well just be playing and letting someone else worry about it, which i think is unfair.

So please tell me how you would figure out if a Player is hacking or not just by using RCON?

• Like 1

This is your Opinion.

My experiences and our Facebook Page for our Server tells me another Story.

Almost Daily we get Requests to kick/ban or deal with Cheaters, Exploiter, Bugroom Users and so on.

Fact is, we can't proof it without the right Tools and can't administer our server as we should do as Admins.

It sucks so damn hard to tell this people who requesting that we can't do anything about it because we don't have the tools to investigate those players.

Meanwile we switched to say to those people that they shouldn't blame us when we can't do anything about such garbage like Hackers and Cheaters. They should blame Bohemia for don't give us at least one or two Tools to administer our Server.

Its ok that Bohemia want to test their Game and the Servers for it. But if i would work for this Company, i sure didn't would give a single fuck on Feedback from Cheaters or Hackers. Guys who using Third-Party Software should get banned from the game as soon as possible and that is my opinion.

I agree with you that we need RCON back - however it will not put you in the position to figure out if a player is Hacking/Cheating/Exploiting - all it give you is more convenience in executing commands and see basic Player details.

• Like 1

just to say:

[GER]the-munich-players.com Gameserver is shutting down because none of our admins are willing to pay for a server we can´t really administrate. BEC keeps crashing the server since August. 3rd Party Rcon-Tools are not allowed now. We are not able to kick players, not even directly on fragnet.net (our now ex-provider). We can´t even warn players before restart. 

And i´m hearing this on a lot of good public gameservers lately.

If we dont get the tools to build a community, why should we rent a server? Just to advertise our clan in the Servermassage? Not for 60€/month.

• Like 1

just to say:

[GER]the-munich-players.com Gameserver is shutting down because none of our admins are willing to pay for a server we can´t really administrate. BEC keeps crashing the server since August. 3rd Party Rcon-Tools are not allowed now. We are not able to kick players, not even directly on fragnet.net (our now ex-provider). We can´t even warn players before restart. 

And i´m hearing this on a lot of good public gameservers lately.

If we dont get the tools to build a community, why should we rent a server? Just to advertise our clan in the Servermassage? Not for 60€/month.

BEC is just working fine when you adjusted it right.

RCON tools are not allowed since April this year.

There are Restart warnings.

You can kick players.

You can ban players.

We are using Fragnet.net and all things you described not working are working actually.

However i understand your frustration - BI got to give us kill logs for example - wich is not available atm.

• Like 1

You can kick players.

You can ban players.

We are using Fragnet.net and all things you described not working are working actually.

However i understand your frustration - BI got to give us kill logs for example - wich is not available atm.

Are you able to get your messages to display correct through BEC currently in 0.49? We've made adjustments based on the note that Fragnet sent to all DayZ server owners, and as well re-wrote the script to have restarts every 2 hours with messages. Sometimes the messages display and sometimes they don't. No errors in the BEC logs on scheduled tasks not starting etc, and when we restart BEC it doesn't seem to make a difference. However the server does restart ever 2 hours without trouble (unless the server freezes due to being full) but again the messages sometimes display its about to restart and sometimes they don't. 

If you have any tips to share on how you got your scheduler working good, please let me know as our server is with Fragnet.net as well. 

Cheers. 

Are you able to get your messages to display correct through BEC currently in 0.49? We've made adjustments based on the note that Fragnet sent to all DayZ server owners, and as well re-wrote the script to have restarts every 2 hours with messages. Sometimes the messages display and sometimes they don't. No errors in the BEC logs on scheduled tasks not starting etc, and when we restart BEC it doesn't seem to make a difference. However the server does restart ever 2 hours without trouble (unless the server freezes due to being full) but again the messages sometimes display its about to restart and sometimes they don't. 

If you have any tips to share on how you got your scheduler working good, please let me know as our server is with Fragnet.net as well. 

Cheers. 

Fragnet should offer you two restart messages that are there by default.

You can adjust the Time and the message for these two. Those messages deffinately should work. When they are not working i would suggest you make a Ticket describing your problem.

Right now we have a restart every hour wich is working just fine. With the default restart messages.

You can kick players.

You can ban players.

true, noone of us knows about scripting alot, so maybe the scheduler is not adjustet right, but we left it vanilla ( beside turning the vanilla messages into our messages, like most servers ) . Dont really know if there are restart warnings, because in 8/10 cases, the server crashes before the 4 hours. If persitence is turend on, the server often wont even run for 5min. And ecpm-rcon worked way further then april. 

If you dont experience these problems, im happy for your server, for us, they are real.

btw: you guys realize restart more than every 4 hours is against the rules and that this is the official forum? ;)