Sign in to follow this  
XDCharlieDX

More complex buildings?

I think that DayZ needs some more complex buildings. Imagine a shoot-out in a large superstore or a big mansion that can be fortified. I just think that the buildings currently in DayZ are too simple. There is no denying that it is much better than the mod, in the way that you can enter almost every building, however I would love to be able to get lost in a large town hall with lots of zombies in the dark corridors. This would make for much more interesting game-play in my opinion and could make looting a bit more interesting. I haven't really explained this very well but think of all the opportunities for interesting situations that could arise.

Anyone else like the idea of this?

• Like 9

If I recall correctly, Dean said something about a large prison complex up in the north.

Also somewhere on the map is going to be an underground sewer system (the new renderer should make this possible), although I do not know if this is confirmed or not.

• Like 1

In one devblog they mentioned allowing players to create underground bases, I assume they could become quite large and complex. If bandits could break in it would be very cool, and we could see some interesting designs like mazes or traps.

If I recall correctly, Dean said something about a large prison complex up in the north.

That does sound good... I just find it strange that in such a large map we only have small buildings that are so simple. I do hope this new, updated engine can bring us some of these things.

• Like 1

That does sound good... I just find it strange that in such a large map we only have small buildings that are so simple. I do hope this new, updated engine can bring us some of these things.

Well the map is big, but not infinite, I already find the map getting crowded with the new city's, I like being able to hike trough large areas of forest and the small buildings is because they are based on small towns in the actualChernarus (real life). They are simple farm village, so no reason to place a giant sky scraper there.

I'd be all for the occasional mansion or complex with countless dark corridors and rooms, as well as plenty of zombies. It'd be far more interesting if buildings weren't lit up like Christmas trees because of the way light renders in the game, though. Kind of sucks how light in DayZ is capable of penetrating walls.

I think that DayZ needs some more complex buildings. Imagine a shoot-out in a large superstore or a big mansion that can be fortified. I just think that the buildings currently in DayZ are too simple. There is no denying that it is much better than the mod, in the way that you can enter almost every building, however I would love to be able to get lost in a large town hall with lots of zombies in the dark corridors. This would make for much more interesting game-play in my opinion and could make looting a bit more interesting. I haven't really explained this very well but think of all the opportunities for interesting situations that could arise.

Anyone else like the idea of this?

Meh. Fortifications on buildings would be neat if there were any incentive to construct them. Personally, I think fortifications should work something like this.

-A player or a clan fortifies one of maybe ~20 large buildings across the map that can be fortified;

-The fortifications are impenetrable by zombies or other players;

-The player responsible for creating the fortifications could designate who can enter the outpost (for instance, a group of friends or a clan);

-The building spawns lockers, chests, or other containers that can be used to store loot;

-The fortifications disappear after a set period of time (a few weeks to a month or two, perhaps);

-The building then goes on cooldown and can't be fortified for another week or so to prevent buildings from being permanently jacked by any one player or group of players.

I think that'd be an awesome way to implement fortifications into DayZ if it were possible, but it'd probably be painstaking to script. In addition, fortifications would have to be a pain in the ass to construct, requiring tons of raw materials that would have to be scavenged from across the map. This would encourage players to join clans and work together cohesively, and it'd provide a sense of meta-game.

Edited by Ransurian

Well the map is big, but not infinite, I already find the map getting crowded with the new city's, I like being able to hike trough large areas of forest and the small buildings is because they are based on small towns in the actualChernarus (real life). They are simple farm village, so no reason to place a giant sky scraper there.

Yes, but on the contrary to the barfathm of your undermenplying statement, this: http://imgur.com/a/WZrdu

• Like 1

I think the problem is that the buildings on the map are in no way unique. We get a new design building, like the police station and then it's thrown all around the map and gets a bit boring. Going through the same buildings, the same way each time can get a bit boring really. I know this changes when you put players into the equation but imagine how things could play out if you had more exciting buildings.

• Like 1

HELL YES, I dream about this daily.. DayZ needs HUGE buildings like office complex (with water coolers) and factory buildings also with lots of rooms..

I'm pretty scared that those big industrial buildings that are in the game currently aren't accessible at all. I hope this changes one day. Especially the industrial buildings that loom over and area, In my opinion these areas are a big part of the dayz horror is spooky and creepy industrial zones. I want to find creepy weirdos lurking the hallways of these buildings stalking players with a rusty kitchen knife and find piled clothing and shoes in a room on the top level that belongs to the victims of..  "The Industrial Lurker "

• Like 2

HELL YES, I dream about this daily.. DayZ needs HUGE buildings like office complex (with water coolers) and factory buildings also with lots of rooms..

I'm pretty scared that those big industrial buildings that are in the game currently aren't accessible at all. I hope this changes one day. Especially the industrial buildings that loom over and area, In my opinion these areas are a big part of the dayz horror is spooky and creepy industrial zones. I want to find creepy weirdos lurking the hallways of these buildings stalking players with a rusty kitchen knife and find piled clothing and shoes in a room on the top level that belongs to the victims of..  "The Industrial Lurker "

Exactly. It would also open more opportunities for fair fights against more geared up opponents. In close quarters a mosin can be hard to use effectively, so players could use the buildings to their advantage with their narrow corridors and dark rooms.

• Like 1

1+ more complex and variation map for place in a game that clone almost every block?? This is a good idea

A Larger realistic complex building that differentiate each building/town,

With the "right" environment.(After chaos condition,dayz dev should do both of this)

Will definitely add horror atmosphere,that dayz lacked off

Edited by arvinzd

Hospitals need to be expanded, they're just disappointing atm, 3 downstairs rooms, a stairs and a corridor about 6 meters long.

Compared to what we had in the mod, I think people really take for granted the improvements they've made to having buildings be enterable.

But yes, some buildings (like the military jail and barracks) need to be made less linear.

• Like 1

Exactly. It would also open more opportunities for fair fights against more geared up opponents. In close quarters a mosin can be hard to use effectively, so players could use the buildings to their advantage with their narrow corridors and dark rooms.

HELL YES, To put it in a nutshell I want to see buildings I can get lost in :D

• Like 1

however I would love to be able to get lost in a large town hall with lots of zombies in the dark corridors.

That makes me wonder why there aren't buildings with closed blinds.

I think the problem is that the buildings on the map are in no way unique. We get a new design building, like the police station and then it's thrown all around the map and gets a bit boring. Going through the same buildings, the same way each time can get a bit boring really. I know this changes when you put players into the equation but imagine how things could play out if you had more exciting buildings.

Exactly, I hope these buildings are also "alpha" and we will get atleast 3 different police stations. It would be even enough if the buildings had some random aspects every serverrestart (or every week WHEN servers don't restart anymore). For example: Closed blinds, different furniture, random pictures, dead zombies on the ground ( I miss corpses, where did they go), different cars in front of the building etc. Something to give every building a "story".

Hello there

Although I would like more complex buildings, if our rigs can handle them, I would prefer to feel far more in control of my avatar to be able to use the new environs well.

I know we have come on in leaps and bounds, but both DAYZ and Arma have a very unique "feel" to avatar control which I dont think suits indoor CQB fighting.

Yes, it can be done and it can be fun, but for me, the avatar handling is a little bit "off" for interior scraps.

Thats just my personal bugbear though.

But, if I had to vote on more complex buildings or not with the movement system we have now? Of course I want more detail! But not at the risk of FPS loss.

Rgds

LoK

I've come back to resurrect this old thread, over a year later. Maybe we can rule this out after all this time. It would've been a nice addition though.

Imagine you're in a hospital scavenging for medical goods while its a night time. Sone parts are in dark while sone have flickering lights, everything is in a mess, blood on the walls, flipped wheelchairs and hospital beds. You could tell from that that infection hit the place while people weren't aware of it, everyone panicked and ran for their lifes tripping over each other and stuff on the way. I'm just trying to point out how the interiour of buildings inside should look after hell came down earth. At the moment everything looks minimalistic and somehow "tidy" as if nothing happened. I see some blood on the wall but with intact interiour it doesn't give me that proper horror feel as we can see in most of the movies/single player games of this type.

• Like 1

You hear sounds like a player, eating their beans. Your heart beats faster and you reach for your gun, but it's useless now, so you take out a knife.

You peek into the room, it's almost empty, but you notice him there, he's crouched down in the corner with his back towards you.

You creep up behind him, ready to strike, but as he raises his meal you recall in horror.

It's a human leg with the pants torn off and missing a calf.

He turns towards you with a blood soaked face.

It's Shia Labeouf

Edited by MrAerospace

Well now that its further down the track from when this topic was originally made I can say things are looking a little better in light of this subject.

The high school building is easily the most interesting one in the game so far considering its large area space and inside with all its hallways and rooms etc.

All of the factory/industrial type buildings are now all enter able since .59 was introduced, being specific I'm more so refereeing to  the large ones in particular.

Hopefully we will see more in the future. Personally I would love to see a giant abandon factory that is 6 stories high out in the middle of a forest somewhere but at the end of the day it can be anything and I would be happy.

I think we may see a contaminated area/plant as a significant land mark in the future. 

Edited by liquidcactus

6 hours ago, liquidcactus said:

..//..

Personally I would love to see a giant abandon factory that is 6 stories high out in the middle of a forest somewhere

..//..

Personally (the buildings are ok, except the windows etc) I would like to see some FOREST somewhere. But I know it won't happen.

Do you realize how great this game would be if you could NOT SEE THROUGH cover 100 yards away - so you could come under fire from cover AT ANY TIME unexpectedly? So that a tent hidden in forest would be invisible at 15 yards? And movement in forest would be more difficult than on a ROAD, and being in cover would be a great advantage. 

Brilliant if you could NOT see through forests totally from one side to the other. Great if cover did not VANISH looking at from 40 yards away. REALLY GREAT if you could not drive a car through ALL the "forest" on the map.

There are plenty of buildings in DayZ, there is no forest.

Which of you guys has actually walked a mile through a REAL forest in the last couple of years NOT on a path ? Anyone ?

(heh)

Edited by pilgrim / pilgrim

10 hours ago, pilgrim / pilgrim said:

Personally (the buildings are ok, except the windows etc) I would like to see some FOREST somewhere. But I know it won't happen.

Do you realize how great this game would be if you could NOT SEE THROUGH cover 100 yards away - so you could come under fire from cover AT ANY TIME unexpectedly? So that a tent hidden in forest would be invisible at 15 yards? And movement in forest would be more difficult than on a ROAD, and being in cover would be a great advantage. 

Brilliant if you could NOT see through forests totally from one side to the other. Great if cover did not VANISH looking at from 40 yards away. REALLY GREAT if you could not drive a car through ALL the "forest" on the map.

There are plenty of buildings in DayZ, there is no forest.

Which of you guys has actually walked a mile through a REAL forest in the last couple of years NOT on a path ? Anyone ?

(heh)

haha, I thought someone may not like the part of my post about the factory in the forest. Don't focus on the forest bit so much... its an example 

I'm more so talking about unique giant structures anywhere on the map. Dense forest is also something we all want to see as well.. shit why cant we just have it all cause the map is well... pretty big 

The forests all need a major overhaul anyway and yes it sucks they have been cutting it back and I understand major buildings of cause would be better suited to the already urban environments.

Just because some of us want giant structures it doesn't really have anything to do with littering them in a forest as such, it was just an example and incase you havent noticed this game has a loooong way to go and since forests dont really seem to have any priority we are kinda here to talk about complex structures and or ideas in the realm of areas of interest on the map that provide somewhat of a mission for a group. Wondering through an abandon big power plant area that you need chemical suits and gask masks before you even consider going near it. 

Stuff like that

With the new renderer almost out, it should make implementing the rest of the features and items on the roadmap much more simple.

I haven't heard of complex buildings being wanted now, but then again this thread was made around two years ago.

Bohemia as a successful video game developer will have some goodies for us soon.

Make apartments in the big cities useful first -> Let the player create the amazing structures after adding small things like gazebos for camps.