bige678

any point in having a sidearm?

I have had the FNX45 a handful of times and I only used it in a firefight once, because it happened to be out. My violent encounters seem to fall into two categories:

1- stumbled right onto a guy, panic and fire every bullet in my magazine or

2- end up firing from a large distance and killing my opponent with only a couple of bullets. In the first type I tend to "hip fire" so a nearer ranged sight doesn't offer an advantage and in the second obviously a magnified sight is key.

So as to my question (sorry for long buildup)- is this similar to your experience and if so is there any point to having a handgun?...If you had an AKM with the big mag and the PSO sight?

I find that I am picking it up and adding all of the accessories because I think it's cool but never using it.

• Like 1

It's only useful when you're toting a Mosin. Other than that, I toss them. Realistically, there's never a situation that a handgun performs better than an SKS, AKM, MP5-K or M4A1.

• Like 5

the .45 acp is good for pinging zombies, not too loud and 1 shot KO. 

Also I use them when I carry a mosin, as I'm not a fan of carrying two weapons at once. 

• Like 2

So you shoot zombies? My experience has been that shooting one attracts 5 more.

...thanks for the replies

It's only useful when you're toting a Mosin. Other than that, I toss them. Realistically, there's never a situation that a handgun performs better than an SKS, AKM, MP5-K or M4A1.

clearing houses.

Once the pistols start spawning with empty mags and the gun dexterity system is enhanced and the if the dispersion system is removed and pistols behave like actual pistols then they will be king of clearing houses.

• Like 3

clearing houses.

Once the pistols start spawning with empty mags and the gun dexterity system is enhanced and the if the dispersion system is removed and pistols behave like actual pistols then they will be king of clearing houses.

Whatever they do in the future has nothing to do with this thread.

Currently, pistols are inferior to the aforementioned guns for both medium and short range combat. The only pistol I'll even use is the FNX because it seems to kill people quickly and has 15 rounds. But that's only when paired with a Mosin.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 5

Whatever they do in the future has nothing to do with this thread.

Currently, pistols are inferior to the aforementioned guns for both medium and short range combat. The only pistols I'll even use is the FNX because it seems to kill people quickly and has 15 rounds. But that's only when paired with a Mosin.

Even now the pistols turn faster than any of the weapons in a house I would put my bets on a pistol with a magazine vs a akm with a drum mag.

I like having them around because they don't take up much space, and when I meet up with a fresh or near fresh friend I can arm them immediately.  It can also help to hold onto a sidearm if you don't have much ammo for your primary.

Even with a mosin, using FNX is a hassle for me because it takes sometimes literally like 10-15 seconds to switch between weapons (thanks to rocket-hicks lags) so if you have an automatic weapon (AKM, m4 or SKS) there is no need for secondary at all. It is gonna get ruined anyway if it is in your bag in you get hit by bullets. So it just takes up the inventory space. FNX is great, but until swtiching weapons become faster and not a laggy desync bullshit where you equip and it randomly un-equips itself during firefight (happened many times) there is no use for them very much.

• Like 1

As of right not just handy for searching for an actual gun, I tend to find magnums all over on my run for a rifle. Other than that not at this moment

I have had the FNX45 a handful of times and I only used it in a firefight once, because it happened to be out. My violent encounters seem to fall into two categories:

1- stumbled right onto a guy, panic and fire every bullet in my magazine or

2- end up firing from a large distance and killing my opponent with only a couple of bullets. In the first type I tend to "hip fire" so a nearer ranged sight doesn't offer an advantage and in the second obviously a magnified sight is key.

So as to my question (sorry for long buildup)- is this similar to your experience and if so is there any point to having a handgun?...If you had an AKM with the big mag and the PSO sight?

I find that I am picking it up and adding all of the accessories because I think it's cool but never using it.

I find the FNX easier to maneuver around with in an urban environment and they are good for varmints and zombies too.  I have mine out and ready when searching buildings and tents.  I just find it more comfortable to use in tight spaces.

Take this part for what it is worth, but I had a magnum and an FNX in my tac vest, dude unloads an SKS into me from about 10 meters.  Ruins the vest and the pistols, I am not even bleeding or knocked down...  So I found it useful but maybe not the way you are thinking...

Edited by Barnabus

So you shoot zombies? My experience has been that shooting one attracts 5 more.

...thanks for the replies

I use pretty much the first pistol that I find bullets or mags for. Until I find something compatible I carry it all then ditch what I don't need. I only use them for zombie killing. I find I shoot the first and maybe attract 2 more then there gone.

I use sidearms for pure aesthetics. Gotta love the holstered pistol look

• Like 1

I dunno, It just feels safer when you got a sidearm. And it only takes 4 slots, so you usually don't have any reason to drop it (Unless you don't go crazy and have like 200 rounds of ammo and 3 mags.)

I have only killed one person with an FNX, that was when a Mosin dude logged right next to me in a barn. I heard the gun loading sound from the little side room and there he was. The dispersion gods were with me, because I somehow hit him right where I aimed at, maybe a little low from my original target, but hit him in the head still.

There's a niche for the sidearms, though. .357 and .45 ACP are stronger than 5.56, letting them penetrate ballistic helmets.

Alternatively, you can keep your sidearm to give to a friend or something. The FNX45 is a wicked package for arming someone.

It's true pistols arnt that great

However they have one advantage over rifles

While indoors you can turn a bit faster with a pistol up than a rifle, so if your any good at close range headshots the pistol will usually win in a situation where two people round a corner, one with a rifle and one with a pistol (and with current damage taking 5 hits from a automatic rifle to kill, pistol has a very minor advantage if your aiming for a quick kill

Overall they arnt any good, but indoors if take one out over a rifle, but it's very borderline

Also depending on your play style, a sidearm can be hidden on a newspawn

I've been killed by "newspawns" who have a hidden handgun given by a friend to act as bait

And I've also baited bandits by having a friend give me a handgun as a newspawn and sniper cover me while I go and talk to bandits who are kidnapping/ handcuffing newspawns Ect

If a bandit is holding you up and you appear to be a newspawn, you have no idea how little they watch you

Also, as soon as you equip the handgun via hotkey, spam the fire button straight away

Even though the gun isn't aimed fully, the bullets still go where the crosshairs are

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

I've tested the friendly-but-armed look many times with the MP5K and the FNX45. It never works, people like shooting things too much.

There's a niche for the sidearms, though. .357 and .45 ACP are stronger than 5.56, letting them penetrate ballistic helmets.

A .357 can crack the engine block on a truck.

The FNX has saved my life on countless occasions regardless of what primary I'm using. It's my favorite sidearm by far, hands down. Personally, when I pick it up, I like to have at least 3 mags on me. & not to mention each mag holds 15 ROUNDS! Consider the ammo capacity of each, the stopping power of the .45 rounds, & if you happen to come across a pristine FNX RDS it's a deadly combination.

If I'm privileged enough to have my FNX set up the way I please, my enemy is looking at 45 powerful rounds coming his way in quick succession.

love it<3

Edited by blunce

I've only had a few situations where my pistol is viable and absolutely needed mostly because I ran out of rifle ammo. Other than that they're pretty much only for show. Honestly I'd rather have pistols as the norm main weapon instead of rifles. Make military rifles very rare and make civ rifles/shotguns rare. Hopefully the loot system improves drastically. I think it'd be a bit more realistic if more people had just civ-esque weaponry while the handful of big dogs have the best weapons.

A .357 can crack the engine block on a truck.

Yeah, but pistol cartridges being stronger than rifle cartridges.

L E L

This. More often than not, you are only going to get one (very quick, short) opportunity to kill someone and in that instant it's all about what's most accessible. If I'm only going to carry one weapon, it's definitely going to be a primary that doesn't take up inventory space, so that's always what is going to be most accessible for me. If I have both, and neither are out, I'm going to go for my primary. If I'm running around in a dangerous area, my primary will be out. A sidearm is really only useful to me as a back-up in the event I expend all the available clips for my primary, and that's happened to me exactly once in my dozens and dozens of violent encounters with other players, so I'm willing to take the risk in not carrying one. I also happen to be a hell of an ax fighter :p

I would rather have the inventory space for medical supplies and other items that are useful to myself and my squad (food, sewing kit, gas lamp, can opener, compass, cantines, etc.)

Also I use them when I carry a mosin, as I'm not a fan of carrying two weapons at once. 

I have been known to carry a sidearm during the few builds of the game that have made melee combat difficult as a means of dispatching zombies without wasting ammo for my primary. It's definitely not my preferred method of killing zombies though, for stealth reasons. I also agree with the Mosin comment -- close-quarters combat can be very difficult with a Mosin.

I like having them around because they don't take up much space, and when I meet up with a fresh or near fresh friend I can arm them immediately.  It can also help to hold onto a sidearm if you don't have much ammo for your primary.

I believe these situations fall into the "exceptions to the rule" category for me :)

Edited by Tatanko

I switch from my main gun to my side arm when i enter a building or small space. Its easier for the fact that you enter a close quarter combat enviornment and the last thing you need to do is open a door in the barracks to find some dude hiding in there and you have a scoped weapon