Sign in to follow this  
Daricles

Three things that completely ruin the DayZ experience...

If it wasn't for the fear of being KOS'd, there wouldn't be any fear/challenge in this game.

Zombies are not a challenge. An axe is all you need to kill every zombie in-game. I have zero fear of a zombie encounter, absolutely zero.

But when I see another player my heart races.

That's good stuff. And I wouldn't want it any other way.

(stuff)

So, all I need to do is find one apple tree next to a water fountain in the middle of nowhere and I win the game??

So, all I need to do is find one apple tree next to a water fountain in the middle of nowhere and I win the game??

If you think there is any "winning" in DayZ you are playing the wrong game. No one wins. In the end something always kills you. Your mission, should you chose to except it, is to not let it happen for as long as you can. The concept behind the game, and the focus of the development team, is not an experience where you run around killing people just because, but and experience where you see how many risks you can take and STILL survive. Thus the "survival" part of the game. There are literally hundreds of good games that offer the other experience. 

Let me get this straight. You want to put a 20 minute cool down on items I just picked up and if for any reason I get disconnected form a server i.e. server restart, session lost, internet connection dying, asshole admin, breakers going out or any of hundreds other possible reasons, than I connect to new server and if I do that before 20 minutes I will lose those items ? 

Great idea. Really. 

Glad you liked it.  ;)

The game styles are not to blame, this game just simulates and reflects current social behavior. There are so many more sociopaths than you ever expected and this game proves that without civilization, those people will have a field day. Bandits, KOS. Its realistic. This is post apocalyptic society.

So, IMO the three things that ruin the game experience are:

1. Players that need to hack or exploit a glitch or rule to gain an advantage

2. Server admins that need to hack or exploit a glitch or rule to gain an advantage

3. Clans and groups that need to hack or exploit a glitch or rule to gain an advantage

For valuing your ammo over another player's life, I give you beans with beans on top.

You get my beans for giving extra beans on that.

As a new player who has about 50 hours of playtime in the game, I'd like to summarize three of the main issues that completely ruin this otherwise enjoyable game.

DayZ purports itself to be a brutally realistic survival horror game that requires its players to employ cautious tactics and intelligent strategy to succeed in the game. Unfortunately, there are a few problems inherent to the game's design that prevent the game from achieving what it wants to be: Ghosting, Server Hopping and rampant kill-on-sight player killing. Each of these issues is a serious problem on its own, but all three problems in combination make the game broken beyond enjoyment.

For those unfamiliar with the terms, Ghosting is what happens when a player joins a server and spawns back into the location they were in when they left the server the last time they played. While this persistent location feature is a great for exploring the vast and richly detailed map, it also causes some significant problems since players joining a server can spawn in close proximity to other players already on the server. Server hopping is the act of joining a server, looting everything in an area, then leaving the server to join another server and immediately loot the same location all over again.

After playing DayZ for about 50 hours or so I have come to the conclusion that my tactics and strategies are irrelevant in the game. I can be as smart and cautious as possible and it doesn't mean anything. I can carefully approach an objective moving slowly from cover to cover to avoid being seen and use binoculars to scout the area out for several minutes carefully checking for bandits and snipers before moving into the area and carefully clear every room of a building before opening my inventory and managing my loot. However, at any time a player can spawn behind me in a room with no other entrances that I just cleared without any warning and kill me on sight and take all my loot. In a game where enemy players can appear out of nowhere at anytime nothing I do really matters and its all just a matter of dumb luck.

There are some things the game designers could do to mitigate theses problems and make the game more enjoyable.

1. Make it so that a newly spawned player cannot kill other players or be killed by other players for about ten minutes. This helps alleviate the ghosting issues.

2. Give every item a timer that starts to count down from about twenty minutes as soon as you pick it up. Whenever you spawn on a new server, automatically remove all items in the inventory with a timer that hasn't counted down to zero. This would help alleviate server hopping.

3. Mitigate the rampant kill on sight player killing by making combat more realistic and riskier. Right now, there is little or no player interaction in the game. Typically, one player will happen on another player and kill them before that player even knows another player is present. Because of the way server lag works, a player can queue up so much damage that by the time the targeted player receives the first hit they are already dead before they can even react. I would rather see the player v player combat system continue to be lethal, but also far more risky for both parties. In real life, a person can suffer multiple mortal wounds yet continue fighting until their body completely shuts down due to loss of blood or oxygen. Weapons in DayZ should cause more bleeding and energy damage and less health damage. Taking a gunshot in the game should still be quite lethal, but less instantly so. Just as in real life, players would be more cautious of engaging in KOS behavior if they ran the risk of themselves being seriously wounded by a player that they have mortally wounded.

In conclusion, I hold out hope that the designers can address the above listed problems and greatly improve the DayZ game experience so that the game can actually become what it sets out to be: A realistically brutal post-apocalyptic survival game that requires players to use cautious tactics and intelligent strategies in order to succeed.

I like how you wrote this post, stating facts instead of bitching about it. But I do think there was one thing you didn't think about when you wrote this: the fact that it is early access and they're working on it.

Yes ghosting and server hopping is really annoying but security placements will be placed to help stop it.

As for Killing on Sight. The community started that and it has been there since the birth of the mod. Although it has gotten worse in SA, but that is due to the fact bandits have gone from traditional KOS bad guy to holding people up, yelling friendly and then turning on the player, and "torture". People don't trust people especially when in a high risk zone (Airfields and Cities) because they've worked so hard for their gear. Even fresh spawns run up to geared players and knock them out and take their gear and then killing them. That's been DayZ for a while ever since it went mainstream.

And for everyone who complains that Early Access is not an excuse for all the problems, DayZ was released for public early access play as soon as it was actually functional to play in. They are building the game basically in front of your eyes.

When making the game, the developers and Dean in particular don't look at what the players are currently complaining about like ghosting and server hopping. They're looking at the game as a whole. If they didn't do that then DayZ would never be done or would crumble. So everyone needs to keep this in mind when playing DayZ. That this game is being built right in front of you and they're more worried about the game as a whole rather than certain problems. I think we're lucky to being playing it as early as we got to. They took a huge risk doing that.

Edited by macesboy

Give every item a timer that starts to count down from about twenty minutes as soon as you pick it up. Whenever you spawn on a new server, automatically remove all items in the inventory with a timer that hasn't counted down to zero. This would help alleviate server hopping.

I like that idea but it needs protection against crashing/server restarts. And there'd be a problem with people who just found a new gun and want to log out but 10 minutes later on decide they want to go play some more because they just found said new gun. I guess that could be elaviated with a warning before entering a server but who reads warnings, any way?

. Mitigate the rampant kill on sight player killing by making combat more realistic and riskier.

Nah, combat is plenty dangerous as it is. Doesn't "ruin" the game for me.

Actually, nothing quite ruins the game for me. I might ocassionally get bored because of a lack of content but that's obviously being worked on.

Weeeeeeeeeellllllll, that could be because the game defines itself as, and I quote, "Welcome to the world of DayZ- a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

There are games where you can get to respawn literally hundreds of times a night. One wonders if those might better fit your idea of success. ;)

PVP is a portion of DayZ, it isn't the all inclusive point. ;) I have NO problem being shot, it's part of the game. But when players play the game with the minset that they are going to die in 10 minutes anyway so they might as well charge around punching people from the start it loses some of it's "sandbox" nature.

Nope! Incorrect!. Even in the mod people would hop servers to find loot. Here is why. When you loot an are you pick up everything good and leave the trash. You circle around and come back after a respawn, most of the time the trash is still there so only the places that spawned good things the first time around could spawn something new. Until everyone clears out of the area for a significant amount of time or someone moves the trash nothing good will spawn in that area. So people hop to another server and clear that out until only trash is filling the loot spawn spots then move on again.

The HIVE is to blame for this and ghosting. If they would come up with a better hive system or one that doesn't reward you for changing servers, that would resolve the issue.

I'll just drop this here again: "DAYZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

OOOOK im going to correct this right now as a lot of this is misleading. DayZ is like you describe it a survival game where your objective is to survive.

When people die most of the time that is because they took a risk. There are many risks in the game. Most people who die constantly are the people who just got the game and go into the world thinking they can be careful in a city or airfield and get away unscathed. As a veteran I can play DayZ and survive for days at a time. Dayz also has the biggest learning curve of any other game. It takes a huge amount of time to be as good as the other players who have been with the game longer. People who also come into the game also need to know that DayZ and Arma have a fiercely dedicated fan base, whom have played countless hours and have been here since the mod and know what they're doing really well.

As for the people who have the well I'm gonna die anyways mindset, that is how you ruin the game for yourself. When you die a lot of the time you died deciding to take a risk. This game is fiercely pvp and people don't take chances. So running into Berezino or an airfield thinking that people won't be there is how you die. I always keep in mind that chances are Berezino is filled with people, NE Airfield will have someone looting it, and that all the snipers will be set up all around these hot spots. I still die but I die and keep going.

As for why People server hop you are completely wrong in explaining that. When people server hopped in the mod, they did do that to get geared fast and it was annoying. But to understand server hopping you have to understand how loot spawning works. When you go to an area on the mod; say the NE airfield and loot the whole place, after you leave loot respawns after a while and if another play comes to that location say 10-15 minutes later (maybe less) loot will respawns. This balances the game. Now the reason everyone server hops on standalone is because if the fact they haven't implemented a loot respawn system yet. Meaning if you come back later the same loot you didn't pick up or dropped will still be there. The only way loot respawns in SA is if the server restarts which most servers to help this issue have shortened restarts to 30 minutes to an hour or two. This is why many people server hop. So they can pick up gear without walking across Chernarus. Hopping is still a bad thing, but people have a reason for doing it.

As for you blaming the hive and the game for ghosting and hopping that is really ignorant. Every time you open DayZ a message comes up telling you it is early access. This means your playing on a game that is being developed. They're making the game while your playing it. As it very clear to everyone it's not complete. This means servers, game play, the map, bugs everywhere, and more. The hive is a very basic system at the moment and even when it is done it doesn't need anything to punish players for server hopping and ghosting. Because when devs trying do stuff like that, the innocent players ALWAYS get caught in the middle.

This sounds very confusing and it is. But these are facts.

And all my statements are backed up with 300+ hours on dayz mod and standalone combined.

Side note: sorry for the long essay, with all the grammar errors as there is always a grammar nazi on the forums. I wrote this at 4 on the morning and on a phone. That means small keyboard and auto correct

Edited by macesboy

First off, good post! You have my beans. Now....

I totally disagree with your definition of 'succeed'. You seem to define success based on not dying in game. I, on the other hand, define success quite differently. I consider it a success if I can log in and engage in player versus player interaction. I might die, you might die, we both may die, it's all the same to me. In my opinion, not dying for several days or more is a failure and a ruined experience. Success, to me, is participating in combat (or friendly negotiations) of some kind. Running around for months, not seeing anyone, not dying, and just looting is a ruined experience. Success is getting to respawn at least three times in one sitting.

See, what I don't understand is why people get so upset at getting shot. You bought into a game that provides a huge sandbox, other people, and weapons. Dying is what you are supposed to do! You really have nothing to lose! Gear is totally trivial. You can acquire everything you need within an hour or two to maximize the game's intentions: player versus player combat. While I respect your opinion, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Let's move on to your points:

Ghosting: Nobody is for ghosting. Telling the devs to fix ghosting is just preaching to the choir. Devs know what it is and do not encourage or try to make it advantageous. I believe avoiding being "ghosted" only requires a change in your decision making. You should prepare yourself better. Pick a server wisely. Decide where you log out. Accept the mechanics.

Server Hopping: Server hopping seems to be a result of the game not being finished. I believe that once item respawns happen this 'problem' will diminish significantly. Additionally, I'm not bothered by it. People who server hop usually have better gear when I loot them.

Rampant KOSing: I have over 600 hours logged and I don't perceive a problem with KOSing at all. It should be expected. Again, you're playing a sandbox mmo that provides you with a playground and weapons. If you don't expect to die then you're playing the wrong game.

I joyfully respect your opinion and empathize with you that you're not having the fun you hoped for.

TLDR: "success" isn't necessarily not dying, rather, enjoying the combat that the game provides.

No offense but that is seriously wrong.

The objective of the game as it states in the description is to survive.

But this provides a pretty vague description meaning you decide what you do or need to do to survive.

Pvp was not the point of dayz and never will be. It's just a major element that goes along with surviving. If you think dayz is a pvp game then you need to go back to Action Shooters. I understand killing other players, but who the hell actually thinks the point of DayZ is pvp? I applaud anyone who can survive dayz for 3 to 4 days. If you can kill a bunch of people all it means is you can survive for an hour and eventually die. When you can pvp for hours and not die then you will be congratulated.

• Like 1

No offense but that is seriously wrong.

But this provides a pretty vague description meaning you decide what you do or need to do to survive.

Pvp was not the point of dayz and never will be. It's just a major element that goes along with surviving. If you think dayz is a pvp game then you need to go back to Action Shooters. I understand killing other players, but who the hell actually thinks the point of DayZ is pvp? I applaud anyone who can survive dayz for 3 to 4 days. If you can kill a bunch of people all it means is you can survive for an hour and eventually die. When you can pvp for hours and not die then you will be congratulated.

Really?  the description?  That's what you're going with?

I'm totally flabbergasted.  If pvp isn't the point of dayz then why is it that the majority of dayz videos out there are pvp based.  It's a world with people finding guns and shooting at each other.  People aren't going to stop shooting at each other when the game is finalized.  The end game, the most compelling thing, the thing that gets your heart pumping is the player versus player action.  If there was no way kill other players this game would sink instantly. 

I feel like you're trying to troll me right now.  Your vision of this game is delusional, at best.

If you think people have bought into alpha to survive the zombies and you find that challenging then you need to seriously reconsider your gaming skills.  3-4 days is pathetic.  Anyone can grab a canteen to catch water and find an apple tree in the middle of northwestern nowhere and survive for years, if alpha would go that long.  If you totally avoid pvp, AND die, AND not get totally insane bored then I question the number of chromosomes you posses.

I can't believe I have to form an argument here to show that Dayz is a pvp game.  You sir, have my beans for the most redonkulous post of the day.

the thing that gets your heart pumping is the player versus player action.

At the moment i have to agree. But it should be player to player interaction instead of player versus player action in later stages of the development. The main reason for people to PvP is that there is not much else to do plus survival is way to easy. I hope the devs balance everything out someday in the future so players think twice if its worthwhile to kill a player instead of making contact with him.

Players wont play this game as a survival game as long as surviving is no challenge at all. At least not many.

Edited by ChainReactor

These threads are the reason i Kill on sight.

To see that people actually take the thinking this far and get this butthurt makes it more fun.

And if you dont want to be KOS'd, stay out of sight :>

The objective of the game is pretty much what you make of it.

What exactly is it that you're arguing for, any way? 'Cause like the guy below you says: people are going to shoot each other any old way.

Really?  the description?  That's what you're going with?

I'm totally flabbergasted.  If pvp isn't the point of dayz then why is it that the majority of dayz videos out there are pvp based.

If running around shooting bad guys isn't the point of life, why is it that the majority of movies out there are action flicks?

Rational people understand that people don't watch a DayZ video to observe someone cutting down 40 trees or searching thousands of loot spots for the stuff to try and create a bloodbag. When I play Epoch and record I doubt any of you want to watch my 3 day search for a chainsaw, the 2 cycle oil for it, and then my day of cutting lumber, turning some of it into plywood, then combining that into 1/3 walls then turning those into walls, then adding more lumber and plywood to make large wood walls, while I construct my base. Some people will do a montage to show they were doing something but condense it into a short little..."and look I crafted stuff".

Basically they edit out the everyday stuff and focus on the 5-10 minutes of adrenaline.

If you think people have bought into alpha to survive the zombies and you find that challenging then you need to seriously reconsider your gaming skills.  3-4 days is pathetic.  Anyone can grab a canteen to catch water and find an apple tree in the middle of northwestern nowhere and survive for years, if alpha would go that long.

Actually I bought into the alpha to:

*Give the developers some money

*See features as they develop and offer feedback

*Test features

As we can see... the guns are getting a lot of testing. So some of us are going to wander out into the woods and test things like gathering berries, crafting bows, hunting, and cooking meat. There are people finding out if having 12 items in your backpack protects you more than having 2.

If you totally avoid pvp, AND die, AND not get totally insane bored then I question the number of chromosomes you posses.

Nice insult. Rude to the developmentally disabled and the people having a discussion with you.

I can't believe I have to form an argument here to show that Dayz is a pvp game.  You sir, have my beans for the most redonkulous post of the day.

I can't believe you can't grasp a simple concept such as PVP is a part of DayZ but that doesn't mean it is the main focus of it. There are literally hundreds of games that have PVP as the ONLY focus, not just main. Many more where it is the main focus and the other parts just support that. DayZ is a game based on survival and dying during PVP is just one of the numerous ways you can die. Right now nearly anyone could survive easily but more and more systems are going in enhancing that survival element. PVP will always be there as a major cause of player death, but it is not the only thing going on.

OOOOK im going to correct this right now as a lot of this is misleading. DayZ is like you describe it a survival game where your objective is to survive.

....and then you went on to support my point?

As for why People server hop you are completely wrong in explaining that. When people server hopped in the mod, they did do that to get geared fast and it was annoying. But to understand server hopping you have to understand how loot spawning works. When you go to an area on the mod; say the NE airfield and loot the whole place, after you leave loot respawns after a while and if another play comes to that location say 10-15 minutes later (maybe less) loot will respawns. This balances the game. Now the reason everyone server hops on standalone is because if the fact they haven't implemented a loot respawn system yet. Meaning if you come back later the same loot you didn't pick up or dropped will still be there. The only way loot respawns in SA is if the server restarts which most servers to help this issue have shortened restarts to 30 minutes to an hour or two. This is why many people server hop. So they can pick up gear without walking across Chernarus. Hopping is still a bad thing, but people have a reason for doing it.

It's not less than 10-15 minutes before the loot clears and new stuff respawns. People HAVE to be out of that area for that entire time and good loot is "high traffic" so the timer keeps getting extended. What typically happens is what I described. Someone enters a barracks, they grab two good guns but leave all the tin cans, bottles, that crappy backpack, the shotgun, and other "trash loot". They wander out of the area 20 minutes later after hitting every location in the area. Next person comes along and keeps the existing crap active, or the same guy circles back around having worked his way up West to East and is now going back West. He doesn't loot now, but passes by and triggers the timer again.

Now it takes a while for people to travel to the "next good spot". Longer than 15 minutes so they will often cycle the loot of an area by staying out of it for 15 minutes then going back through it, but if they come in too soon they mess it up. Meanwhile they don't want to wander too far away, that is the point in cycling is so you don't have to travel across the map, but just waiting out the timer means doing nothing....

So what happens? I know for the aircraft carrier in the Breaking Point mod countless players would loot the ship, hop to another server, loot it again, hop, loot, hop, loot, hop, loot, hop back to the first. You could get far enough away on the front to spawn loot on the back again, but you had to sit out there, in the open, for a long time. There were tons of reasons to hop for loot at that location considering how exposed it was. While not as exposed in most places the reasoning still stand, you can hop 8 servers in the mod and get more loot faster than if you waited out the respawn timer.

As for you blaming the hive and the game for ghosting and hopping that is really ignorant. Every time you open DayZ a message comes up telling you it is early access. This means your playing on a game that is being developed.

So you mean the issue that has been an issue since the very existence of the Mod, long before DayZ SA was even an idea.... is because DayZ SA is an Alpha? <_<

(stuff)

Look, this game and every other MMO out there possess no single player PVE challenge at all. 

Go ahead and play any MMO.  There is no single player content to truly test your skills.  Name one difficult task in any MMO.  DayZ is no different.  Surviving will come down to not being killed by another player.  Avoiding death inflicted by non player activities will be easy.   This is why Dayz will be considered a pvp game always.

If running around shooting bad guys isn't the point of life, why is it that the majority of movies out there are action flicks?

Yea, comparing actions in dayz to real life.  *newsflash* People don't shoot people IRL because it's obvious that there are grave consequences, not a respawn timer.

Edited by Parazight

THERE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH LOOT AROUND THIS FRICKEN MAP. simply there is no point to KOS players. the only thing you are showing is that you are too scared to lose the items you collected. literally it does not matter. plus who ever makes the wiki pages that say that people should KOS should be punched in the nuts for starting a nasty trend in this game.

I think most of this can be avoided if you avoid the PvP hotzones (NW airfield and Berenzino ATM). Though I have hopped to a new server a few times when I the one I am on seems to have been looted. I would love to see loot respawn without a server reset. I hate getting on a server that resets every two hours and breaks the immersion.

Do a little research in places other than role playing games and you may be surprised to see how many times people suffer multiple lethal gunshot wound, continue to fight and kill several other people before finally succumbing to their mortal wounds.

Without functioning lungs or a heart it's probably a little harder to soldier on than you imagine. Plenty of liveleak videos show people get knocked flat on their asses or backs after taking a 7.62x39 to the chest. You will never fly twenty feet backwards after getting shot and "dying instantly" doesn't exist unless your brain became mush. Just because you don't die instantly after getting that "lethal gunshot wound" doesn't mean you're doing much while waiting for it to happen.

Wow, the thread immediately deviated into the KOS thing, the problem outlined in the thread, and the problems that plague dayz, are the hoppers and something needs to be done to stop it. It just ruins dayz completely

Wow, the thread immediately deviated into the KOS thing, the problem outlined in the thread, and the problems that plague dayz, are the hoppers and something needs to be done to stop it. It just ruins dayz completely

That's my fault for mentioning it. As a new player, I didn't realize it was such a hot-button topic. The rampant KOS gameplay probably wouldn't have bothered me so much if it wasn't happening in the context of the other problems.

Also, I understand that the game is in development and is still being worked on. I wrote the post to provide costructive feedback to the developers and to share some of my impressions with other new players who are just starting the game. As I said, I hope the developers are able to make some changes and fulfill their objective of making a brutally realistic horror survival game. I hope my feedback is well received by the developers and is helpful to them. The game has great potential, but stll has a ways to go before it achieves it.

Ghosting wasnt really a huve problem until they decided to remove log-in sounds. Why they did that im not too sure.

Hmm, I enjoy your list of 3 things that ruin the DayZ experience.  If I may, allow me to make some adjustments to show what can seriously ruin the DayZ experience for the elite**, and how to avoid it.

1] Dont pay too much attention to the DayZ forums.  Maybe a changelog or two.

2] Seriously, stop reading this forum!  It's going to poison your mind.  you could be doing most of the stuff you are reading about.  Go do it.

3] You're mad now, aren't you?  Probably ready to punch something in the face!  I told you to stop reading.  This is your own fault now.

**elite can also be read as everybody that enjoys playing games to find the flaws and help out, rather than find the flaws then scream-rage-type and call others idiots, and find a way to make CoD an insult.

• Like 1

Look, this game and every other MMO out there possess no single player PVE challenge at all.

Well this sounds remarkably like hyperbole, especially since there are constantly people failing raids in various MMOs. Half the challenge is gone because of wiki being out there for every single game so now people just follow the step by step guide and can get through most things. However, someone had to figure out what worked and failed a bunch of times to do so. So really there is no challenge if you don't challenge yourself.

The way most people approach PVP there isn't really any challenge to it either so I don't get what great skills you are evidencing. It really sounds like you are only playing for ego strokes and I am WELL beyond caring what anyone thinks of me or if I am "better" at something than anyone else.

When I feel the need to to get into PVP I could do something that is nothing but PVP like MWO, BF3. I love the PVP in DayZ because I have to pay attention, play carefully, and if I don't I'll likely die, but I don't run to a Police station, loot a gun, and then go try and find someone to shoot because I can literally do that so much better in something else like Wasteland for ARMA III.

Yea, comparing actions in dayz to real life.  *newsflash* People don't shoot people IRL because it's obvious that there are grave consequences, not a respawn timer.

Not what I was doing. I was pointing out that watching a video of the game is a lot like watching a movie. They go through and edit out all the boring and leave only the action. So then people come along and watch said video and think that is ALL there is to the game.

See if I went through and edited my life the same way someone putting up a DayZ video does their play sessions you would get a really different idea of who I am than if you watched my every day life. There is PVP in DayZ but there is also a lot of other things going on, it's not JUST PVP, just like my life isn't just getting stuck in a snowdrift on the interstate and almost dying when the semi I passed a few minutes earlier came flying through the white out conditions. He missed my car, which was buried in a three foot snowdrift blocking the highway, but about 6" wile I was desperately digging out the snow around and under the car with my bare hands trying to get free before someone hit me or the car.

There are a half dozen fights that would be highlighted. The almost half year I spent homeless on the streets breaking and entering into buildings to have a warm place to sleep because I live in the North and it was winter. The 13 car accidents I've been in(most of them I was not driving at the time). The medical emergencies I've responded too as a First Responder.

So sitting down and saying, "All the DayZ Videos show the PVP." Yup, because that is the "action". Movies do the same thing even when based off real life events, the boil it down to a few exciting scenes and show just that, that doesn't mean nothing else happened.

Again.. it's a part, it's not all there is.

Well this sounds remarkably like hyperbole, especially since there are constantly people failing raids in various MMOs.

For the record, I said single player content. twice.  HM raids require quite a bit of coordination.  They require a lot of work, which is why I carefully excluded them.  Again.  Single player content: easy.  Once I learn all the hard lessons in alpha/beta, it wont be hard to not die from pneumonia on a daily basis in-game.

The way most people approach PVP there isn't really any challenge to it either so I don't get what great skills you are evidencing.

Uhh. no.   MMO PVP requires as much skill to reach the top rung as any world first progression group.  From UO, to EQ, to WoW, SWtor, Guild wars, to any number of first person shooters.  Any game Dayz can relate to.  PvP requires skill and experience to succeed.

They go through and edit out all the boring and leave only the action.

Yes, you're right there.  You DO see those vids that way cuz running through the woods is boring.  I'll give you that one.

Here's a blurb taken from the current feature article on dayztv. 

Not all was as it seemed. These worlds were created wherein players would need to survive the zombie onslaught and the constant demand to scavenge for resources, but this main feature soon began to take a back seat. What was becoming more important for the players of Rust and DayZ Standalone was the player versus player action. Although these were zombie games the monsters themselves were no longer as important and it was obvious that the players were, not only writing their own stories in game, but they were also changing the rules.

yes. all about pvp.

To get back on topic... 

I just realized one of the things that REALLY ruins the dayz experience.  Sorta.  I'd recently went over to my brother's house and played DayZ on his old rig.  It plays the game well enough, but not like my new rig does.  Until you downgrade PCs, you really don't know it, but a dated machine ruins the Dayz experience.  I know, client optimizations are coming.  But jeez, not having a really good machine really handicaps a person.