Sign in to follow this  
Daricles

Three things that completely ruin the DayZ experience...

As a new player who has about 50 hours of playtime in the game, I'd like to summarize three of the main issues that completely ruin this otherwise enjoyable game. 

DayZ purports itself to be a brutally realistic survival horror game that requires its players to employ cautious tactics and intelligent strategy to succeed in the game.  Unfortunately, there are a few problems inherent to the game's design that prevent the game from achieving what it wants to be:   Ghosting, Server Hopping and rampant kill-on-sight player killing.  Each of these issues is a serious problem on its own, but all three problems in combination make the game broken beyond enjoyment.

For those unfamiliar with the terms, Ghosting is what happens when a player joins a server and spawns back into the location they were in when they left the server the last time they played.  While this persistent location feature is a great for exploring the vast and richly detailed map, it also causes some significant problems since players joining a server can spawn in close proximity to other players already on the server.  Server hopping is the act of joining a server, looting everything in an area, then leaving the server to join another server and immediately loot the same location all over again.

After playing DayZ for about 50 hours or so I have come to the conclusion that my tactics and strategies are irrelevant in the game.  I can be as smart and cautious as possible and it doesn't mean anything.  I can carefully approach an objective moving slowly from cover to cover to avoid being seen and use binoculars to scout the area out for several minutes carefully checking for bandits and snipers before moving into the area and carefully clear every room of a building before opening my inventory and managing my loot.  However, at any time a player can spawn behind me in a room with no other entrances that I just cleared without any warning and kill me on sight and take all my loot.  In a game where enemy players can appear out of nowhere at anytime nothing I do really matters and its all just a matter of dumb luck.

There are some things the game designers could do to mitigate theses problems and make the game more enjoyable.

1.  Make it so that a newly spawned player cannot kill other players or be killed by other players for about ten minutes.  This helps alleviate the ghosting issues.

2.  Give every item a timer that starts to count down from about twenty minutes as soon as you pick it up.  Whenever you spawn on a new server, automatically remove all items in the inventory with a timer that hasn't counted down to zero.  This would help alleviate server hopping.

3.  Mitigate the rampant kill on sight player killing by making combat more realistic and riskier.  Right now, there is little or no player interaction in the game.  Typically, one player will happen on another player and kill them before that player even knows another player is present.  Because of the way server lag works, a player can queue up so much damage that by the time the targeted player receives the first hit they are already dead before they can even react.  I would rather see the player v player combat system continue to be lethal, but also far more risky for both parties.  In real life, a person can suffer multiple mortal wounds yet continue fighting until their body completely shuts down due to loss of blood or oxygen.  Weapons in DayZ should cause more bleeding and energy damage and less health damage.  Taking a gunshot in the game should still be quite lethal, but less instantly so.  Just as in real life, players would be more cautious of engaging in KOS behavior if they ran the risk of themselves being seriously wounded by a player that they have mortally wounded.

In conclusion, I hold out hope that the designers can address the above listed problems and greatly improve the DayZ game experience so that the game can actually become what it sets out to be:  A realistically brutal post-apocalyptic survival game that requires players to use cautious tactics and intelligent strategies in order to succeed. 

• Like 6

I agree with most of your points. Server Hopping and Ghosting have been the cause of all but one of my deaths to date and it does feel cheap. I actually watched a guy log in and out twice at the big inland airfield control tower. (The things you can see when you just sit and watch with bino's for ages.)  

For those unfamiliar with the terms, Ghosting is what happens when a player joins a server and spawns back into the location they were in when they left the server the last time they played.  While this persistent location feature is a great for exploring the vast and richly detailed map, it also causes some significant problems since players joining a server can spawn in close proximity to other players already on the server.

Actually, while you're not 100% incorrect, the term Ghosting refers to a player who sees another player then logs out of that server, hops into another server, moves to a more advantageous location to kill said player, then logs back into the original server to commit said act. What you've described here is just the intended spawn mechanic. I do not see this changing, so if you keep spawning in front of others and getting killed, you might want to try logging out in less populated/high traffic areas. 

Edited by A_Typical_Noob
  • Like 8

In real life, a person can suffer multiple mortal wounds yet continue fighting until their body completely shuts down due to loss of blood or oxygen.

You must be kidding !?! This is in "Rambo trilogy real life"...

Once again I gonna quote Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper roleplaying rulebook talking about the game fight rules because it seems to explain a fact my english is not good enough to...

There's a lot of vague ideas and theories about modern weapons encounters - most of them from the Hollywood Never-Empty-Six-Gun-School of Armed Combat. These misconceptions have crept on little flat feet into the design of many role-playing games, leading to characters who can be repeatedly shot with large caliber handguns until they run out of "hit points" and who can fire Ingram MAC-10's one-handed and hit with every bullet.

In other words, good, clean fun.

FNFF is not good, clean fun. Most of the data herein has been complied from ballistics reports, police data, FBI statistics and other not-clean fun sources. These sources tend to point to a couple of basic truths about firefight combat.

80% of most gunfights occur between untrained amateurs at a range of 21 feet. 50% of these raging gun battles happen within 8 feet or less! Most (60%) occur in dimly lit and difficult conditions - dark, tiny alleys, with both participants panting and out of breath, pausing momentarily to snap off a badly aimed shot at a fleeing shadow, then ducking back for cover. Hits are surprisingly rare. When they do occur (assuming a large caliber weapon's involved), the victim is usually hors de combat on the first shot from a combination of round-shock and terror. A solid hit with a .44 magnum will usually splatter a real person all over New Jersey.

• Like 2

Bro KOS is part of the game and actually helps the game quite a bit. If you want info search up a video like "why bandits arent bad in dayz" or something among those lines

It seems to me that safely acquiring life-saving valuables is the name of the post-apoc video game.

Other than scavenging, KOS'n is the most cautiously tactical and/or intelligently strategic way to acquire the valuables you need. Anything else places you in extreme, unnecessary danger.

Actually, while you're not 100% incorrect, the term Ghosting refers to a player who sees another player then logs out of that server, hops into another server, moves to a more advantageous location to kill said player, then logs back into the original server to commit said act. What you've described here is just the intended spawn mechanic. I do not see this changing, so if you keep spawning in front of others and getting killed, you might want to try logging out in less populated/high traffic areas. 

Thanks for the clarification.  That's even more devious and broken than I realized.  It was bad enough when I thought it was just dumb luck that someone just happened to randomly spawn into the game behind me.

I wasn't so much concerned about being killed shortly after *I* respawn as I was about getting ganked by someone who magically appears in a deadend room I just cleared.

Edited by Daricles
  • Like 1

You must be kidding !?! This is in "Rambo trilogy real life"...

Once again I gonna quote Cyberpunk 2020 pen and paper roleplaying rulebook talking about the game fight rules because it seems to explain a fact my english is not good enough to...

There's a lot of vague ideas and theories about modern weapons encounters - most of them from the Hollywood Never-Empty-Six-Gun-School of Armed Combat. These misconceptions have crept on little flat feet into the design of many role-playing games, leading to characters who can be repeatedly shot with large caliber handguns until they run out of "hit points" and who can fire Ingram MAC-10's one-handed and hit with every bullet.

In other words, good, clean fun.

FNFF is not good, clean fun. Most of the data herein has been complied from ballistics reports, police data, FBI statistics and other not-clean fun sources. These sources tend to point to a couple of basic truths about firefight combat.

80% of most gunfights occur between untrained amateurs at a range of 21 feet. 50% of these raging gun battles happen within 8 feet or less! Most (60%) occur in dimly lit and difficult conditions - dark, tiny alleys, with both participants panting and out of breath, pausing momentarily to snap off a badly aimed shot at a fleeing shadow, then ducking back for cover. Hits are surprisingly rare. When they do occur (assuming a large caliber weapon's involved), the victim is usually hors de combat on the first shot from a combination of round-shock and terror. A solid hit with a .44 magnum will usually splatter a real person all over New Jersey.

No, I'm not kidding at all.  You are the one deluded by Hollywood into thinking that bullets are magic "insta-kill" weapons that send people flying and knock them to the ground.  What you fail to understand that is that you may very well be killed by a single bullet strike.  However, in most cases involving calibers up to and including common rifle calibers, you won't die instantly.  It might take a couple to several minutes for you to actually die even though the wound you have received is lethal and the outcome is already determined.  Some people lay down and wait to die when they suffer that kind of wound while others continue to fight until they lose consciousness.  How many times do you think you can fire a gun in a couple of minutes?

Do a little research in places other than role playing games and you may be surprised to see how many times people suffer multiple lethal gunshot wound, continue to fight and kill several other people before finally succumbing to their mortal wounds.

The OP actually boils down to something i have to fully agree to: Mechanics against abusive playstyles ( if you want to call hopping and ghosting a playstyle at all ) need to be a high priority on the roadmap.

While it's true that every player can play DayZ SA the way he wants, it is counter-productive not to do something about those people who use the game in a way that only means to destroy other players gaming experience. A group of 3 hoppers / ghosters can spoil the fun for many people who just leave for other games eventually if noone takes care about lame gaming.

I've experienced this in the late days of my favourite Unreal Tournament mod ( which was in late 2012, so the game did it for 13 years ) - in the end, only the lamers were around because they could win through their exploiting of the game's mechanics. Skilled players simply left and found other games bcs they were tired that laming can beat skill in such an easy manner. At the moment the lamers outnumbered the serious players, it was like "either you lame too, or you'll loose".

TL;DR: Dear dev's: Before you add vehicles, tents, a lapdance-scrollwheel-option for female characters, at least give us a sign that abusive gameplay is something you are aware of and put it as high on your list as you deem necessary.

Edited by ChainReactor

Bro KOS is part of the game and actually helps the game quite a bit. If you want info search up a video like "why bandits arent bad in dayz" or something among those lines

I understand that KOS is a valid game tactic and I'm not suggesting bandits be eliminated or removed from the game.  What I would like to see is for being a bandit to require some measure of risk vs. reward.  As it stands now, being a bandit is the only viable choice for long term survival due to the high occurrence of ghosting and server hopping.

I understand that KOS is a valid game tactic and I'm not suggesting bandits be eliminated or removed from the game.  What I would like to see is for being a bandit to require some measure of risk vs. reward.  As it stands now, being a bandit is the only viable choice for long term survival due to the high occurrence of ghosting and server hopping.

KOS is some kind of a chain reaction too. You get KOS'd third time in a row? Screw player interaction, just do it like they do it. So KOS'ing has born another KOS'er. And this KOS'er will give birth to maybe 3 new ones, and the story goes on.

At the moment i am living in the wilderness. Avoiding contact, but not avoiding players. I am sitting in the wood-covered hill just bordering the farm in Zelenogorsk, south of Green Mountain. I enjoy scoping and stalking players from up here. Its interesting to see how other players behave. But no way i would go down there right now yelling "SUP DUDE, FRIENDLY". I made it so far with my current character. I think i will play the stalking lone wolf from the woods for some time until it gets boring. Call me the western Ninja.

• Like 4

KOS is some kind of a chain reaction too. You get KOS'd third time in a row? Screw player interaction, just do it like they do it. So KOS'ing has born another KOS'er. And this KOS'er will give birth to maybe 3 new ones, and the story goes on.

At the moment i am living in the wilderness. Avoiding contact, but not avoiding players. I am sitting in the wood-covered hill just bordering the farm in Zelenogorsk, south of Green Mountain. I enjoy scoping and stalking players from up here. Its interesting to see how other players behave. But no way i would go down there right now yelling "SUP DUDE, FRIENDLY". I made it so far with my current character. I think i will play the stalking lone wolf from the woods for some time until it gets boring. Call me the western Ninja.

That's a cool way to play.  Unfortunately, as things stand now, when and if you ever decide to go to an objective to gather supplies the tactics you employ in doing so are rendered meaningless by ghosting and server hopping.  At best, it comes down to dumb luck whether or not someone spawns right on top of you and kills you without warning.  At worst, someone will actively exploit the spawn mechanic to ghost into a room you just cleared and kill you without warning.  

In my opinion, because of these abused game mechanics there just isn't enough risk involved in getting into a gunfight.  Where there should be tense player interaction there is instead "poof (an enemy appears) and you're dead".

All in all, I just want to feel like my actions and tactics matter and aren't rendered almost completely meaningless by the spawning mechanics. 

Well, to really fulfil the term "ghosting", the opposing player needs to be aware of you and your position. That is exactly what i try to avoid. I am actively looking for players, but i dont make contact. I stalk them. Just looking, i have no interest in killing anyone. As loot is spawned right now, i have no problems with food and water anyway. If that player gets attacked i might help him ( I wanted to roleplay a medic, but paranoya made me hiding :) )

Guns and Ammo should be much more rare tho. The ability to shoot anything without consequences on survival is what forces PVP in a game with a still underdeveloped AI-environment.

When it comes to cheating / exploiting etc i have a really strict point of view. Caught cheaters / hackers should be banned with their steam accounts. Theres no bigger crime in online gaming than cheating and thus ruining the game for everyone else playing it. If you cheat, you're shit, go buy all your games again if you wanna try again.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

I liked your post OP (and thought it was well written). For me, there would have to be a fourth item: server management.

The extent to which admins and clans can abuse the public hive, kicking everyone else in order to get geared up to the max themselves should be dealt with. Servers on the public hive should not allow admins to kick that easily...

• Like 1

Topics like these have been touched on more than a 2 dollar hooker. But, I'll try to explain my views on the problems at hand.

#1 and 2 really aren't controllable by the DayZ devs. It's a glitch, not a feature. Sure, it damages the game, but it doesn't ruin it for me.

But, #3. This is true to an extent. To use a quote from a Youtube game reviewer, Zero Punctuation.. "People like to be assholes in games, as there are no real-world consequences" And this is entirely true. There are multiple forms of bandits IMO.

#1: Bandits that kill for fun, to be trolls etc. They just kill to annoy people. The worst type of bandit.

#2: Bandits that kill out of fear of being killed. Most of them are so scared of dying and losing their precious can opener, they will kill you and cause you to lose your precious can opener.

No, I'm not kidding at all.  You are the one deluded by Hollywood into thinking that bullets are magic "insta-kill" weapons that send people flying and knock them to the ground.  What you fail to understand that is that you may very well be killed by a single bullet strike.  However, in most cases involving calibers up to and including common rifle calibers, you won't die instantly.  It might take a couple to several minutes for you to actually die even though the wound you have received is lethal and the outcome is already determined.  Some people lay down and wait to die when they suffer that kind of wound while others continue to fight until they lose consciousness.  How many times do you think you can fire a gun in a couple of minutes?

Do a little research in places other than role playing games and you may be surprised to see how many times people suffer multiple lethal gunshot wound, continue to fight and kill several other people before finally succumbing to their mortal wounds.

First, as my post was saying this roleplaying game damage rules substance are reliable on simple statistics and fact...

Second, you try to make a rule with an example and this is what I criticise in your thread... I don't believe the kill frenzy people who get shot repeatdly and continue to fight till they die is the vast majority of the people (even if it can happens sometimes). Maybe when you take a bullet it is not an "insta-kill" and you won't die instantly... but most of the people will be put out of combat after been hit by combination of shock, terror and pain. In a firefight engaging several persons, one of them that've been hit if not unconscious will try to leave the killing zone for trying to survive, more than standing up in the middle, spray everything with his weapon and shouting.

At the contrary, another example I wouldn't like to see becoming a ingame rule is those story of cops being shot in the legs with 9mm and dying almost instantly from heart attack... (it can happens too)

I'd like to add, Presently, KOSing is NO longer the best way to gather valuables. Shooting someone destroys a great deal of their equipment. If you are shooting them at a distance, chances are you already have a long gun and do not need theirs, which is likely the only piece of equipment besides maybe a helmet, pants (if a chest shot) or boots that will be any good. KOSers, in general are people who get up at crack of dawn and run loot to gear up. (Or Dupe with a friend...you know who you are) Then move to busy locations to snipe bambi's and looters that come by. They have no interest in what they have because they have it all already. I've found that using CAPS communication and offering to trade has been by far the best way to get equipment I've needed. Parts for the guns you have and in turn, giving parts others need. I've only been attacked once by someone who thought that pulling a sidearm out in middle of trading would get them some equipment.

I've shot at Bambi's that refuse to stay away from me when asked though but I hate using up ammo like that.  

If the game had more and more aggressive zombies, far less ammunition finds and far less serviceable weapon finds and weapon wear and damage, you'd see less KOSing and more stealth survival going on. 

• Like 3

Bro KOS is part of the game and actually helps the game quite a bit

1. I don't know if you should ever preface your words of wisdom with "Bro"

2. KoS, while an essential representation of the depravity of humans, is-like any good thing-only good in the right amounts. If you can think back (or forward, guessing by the "Bro") to highschool chemistry, and the term supersaturation, that's exactly what DayZ achieved; between crap like TeamCheat3 and players uses scripts to become invulnerable or spawn in gear, there's little value in trying to play the game the "Right way" (the way the game designers seem to think their game will be played). Many a forumer will say that the game is oversaturated with KoS "Banditry," but really the game is supersaturated with it; it has gone past capacity, and is so soaked up in it that there's no room for for anything else... right now.

As long as the game's in (pre-)alpha, playing the "Right way" is rather pointless. There's too many glitches/bugs/cheaters to make emotionally or chronolly investing in your character worth the effort. KoS-ing has the potential to keep you alive longer, so you can spend time learning the game/map instead of just surviving. But KoS, in the state it is now, prevents any other kind of play. Not even legitimate bandits can do their jobs (holding you up at gunpoint, et cetera) because asshole players would rather attempt to hatchet the bandit in a 500 meter charge than stick their hands up like a sensible, realistic human being who knows they aren't going to win the encounter.

2.  Give every item a timer that starts to count down from about twenty minutes as soon as you pick it up.  Whenever you spawn on a new server, automatically remove all items in the inventory with a timer that hasn't counted down to zero.  This would help alleviate server hopping.

Let me get this straight. You want to put a 20 minute cool down on items I just picked up and if for any reason I get disconnected form a server i.e. server restart, session lost, internet connection dying, asshole admin, breakers going out or any of hundreds other possible reasons, than I connect to new server and if I do that before 20 minutes I will lose those items ? 

Great idea. Really. 

I mean, I am probably the most hostile player you will ever meet, but if you aren't running around with an M4 in your hands, and you literally yell into direct chat "whats up man" or "hello" not "Friendly", ive probably met 100 people that didn't kill me right of the bat, now I don't know if they will ever do that again due to the fact that I killed them later, but still. There is PLENTY of cool people out there, hell, I spend my days looking for people to ambush and handcuff, 6 of those people I have done that to, are now part of my unit. 

This game is what YOU make it, I don't give people with any type of gear a chance, even since the first death I had in this game was to a guy that I shot once, saw him log out, and while I was scanning behind me I saw him log in and instantly shoot me in the back. If they have gear, even more so M4s, 8/10 of the people that didn't buy DayZ for a hardcore experience will find a way to survive due to glitches and game errors. Don't let these stop you, do not let hunters nor glitches ruin your experience, I hold a firm belief that you are the only one that can ruin your own experience.

Next time you see a group of 4 guys with the same gear and M4s? They duped it, don't even bother, keep your head down until you leave. Even if you are ungeared, don't just run through berezino and wonder why you died to a scared out of his mind guy that had an SKS, Berezino is too crazy of a zone, too many bodies with gear, that I kill anyone regardless of gear. One second you are ungeared, one second you reveal that you are actually the guy that just died, and you are coming back to get your gear and continue the fight because you spawned in berezino.  

Edited by Krihelion
  • Like 1

First off, good post! You have my beans. Now....

DayZ purports itself to be a brutally realistic survival horror game that requires its players to employ cautious tactics and intelligent strategy to succeed in the game.  Unfortunately, there are a few problems inherent to the game's design that prevent the game from achieving what it wants to be:   Ghosting, Server Hopping and rampant kill-on-sight player killing.  Each of these issues is a serious problem on its own, but all three problems in combination make the game broken beyond enjoyment.

I totally disagree with your definition of 'succeed'.   You seem to define success based on not dying in game.  I, on the other hand, define success quite differently.  I consider it a success if I can log in and engage in player versus player interaction.  I might die, you might die, we both may die, it's all the same to me.  In my opinion, not dying for several days or more is a failure and a ruined experience.  Success, to me, is participating in combat (or friendly negotiations) of some kind.  Running around for months, not seeing anyone, not dying, and just looting is a ruined experience.  Success is getting to respawn at least three times in one sitting.

See, what I don't understand is why people get so upset at getting shot.  You bought into a game that provides a huge sandbox, other people, and weapons.  Dying is what you are supposed to do!  You really have nothing to lose!  Gear is totally trivial.  You can acquire everything you need within an hour or two to maximize the game's intentions: player versus player combat.   While I respect your opinion, I wholeheartedly disagree.

Let's move on to your points:

Ghosting:  Nobody is for ghosting. Telling the devs to fix ghosting is just preaching to the choir.  Devs know what it is and do not encourage or try to make it advantageous.  I believe avoiding being "ghosted" only requires a change in your decision making. You should prepare yourself better.  Pick a server wisely.  Decide where you log out. Accept the mechanics.

Server Hopping:  Server hopping seems to be a result of the game not being finished.  I believe that once item respawns happen this 'problem' will diminish significantly.  Additionally, I'm not bothered by it.  People who server hop usually have better gear when I loot them.

Rampant KOSing:  I have over 600 hours logged and I don't perceive a problem with KOSing at all.  It should be expected.  Again, you're playing a sandbox mmo that provides you with a playground and weapons.  If you don't expect to die then you're playing the wrong game.

I joyfully respect your opinion and empathize with you that you're not having the fun you hoped for.

TLDR:  "success" isn't necessarily not dying, rather, enjoying the combat that the game provides.

• Like 1

I've shot at Bambi's that refuse to stay away from me when asked though but I hate using up ammo like that.

For valuing your ammo over another player's life, I give you beans with beans on top.

• Like 1

I totally disagree with your definition of 'succeed'.   You seem to define success based on not dying in game.

Weeeeeeeeeellllllll, that could be because the game defines itself as, and I quote, "Welcome to the world of DayZ- a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

Success is getting to respawn at least three times in one sitting.

There are games where you can get to respawn literally hundreds of times a night. One wonders if those might better fit your idea of success. ;)

See, what I don't understand is why people get so upset at getting shot.  You bought into a game that provides a huge sandbox, other people, and weapons.  Dying is what you are supposed to do!  You really have nothing to lose!  Gear is totally trivial.  You can acquire everything you need within an hour or two to maximize the game's intentions: player versus player combat.

PVP is a portion of DayZ, it isn't the all inclusive point. ;) I have NO problem being shot, it's part of the game. But when players play the game with the minset that they are going to die in 10 minutes anyway so they might as well charge around punching people from the start it loses some of it's "sandbox" nature.

Server Hopping:  Server hopping seems to be a result of the game not being finished.  I believe that once item respawns happen this 'problem' will diminish significantly.  Additionally, I'm not bothered by it.  People who server hop usually have better gear when I loot them.

Nope! Incorrect!. Even in the mod people would hop servers to find loot. Here is why. When you loot an are you pick up everything good and leave the trash. You circle around and come back after a respawn, most of the time the trash is still there so only the places that spawned good things the first time around could spawn something new. Until everyone clears out of the area for a significant amount of time or someone moves the trash nothing good will spawn in that area. So people hop to another server and clear that out until only trash is filling the loot spawn spots then move on again.

The HIVE is to blame for this and ghosting. If they would come up with a better hive system or one that doesn't reward you for changing servers, that would resolve the issue.

TLDR:  "success" isn't necessarily not dying, rather, enjoying the combat that the game provides.

I'll just drop this here again: "DAYZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can."

• Like 1

Good job totally defining the game around a marketing tag line.  >.>

Nope! Incorrect!.

no, really! I really am not bothered by it! And I *AM* correct:  they usually DO have better loot than the non hoppers.

I've played all those other games to death.  Probably why I hold the opinions that I do.

This thread, including my posts, are all opinions and I define the game the way I want to.  One man's misery is another's source of glee.

Edited by Parazight

Good job totally defining the game around a marketing tag line.  >.>

no, really! I really am not bothered by it! And I *AM* correct:  they usually DO have better loot than the non hoppers.

I've played all those other games to death.  Probably why I hold the opinions that I do.

This thread, including my posts, are all opinions and I define the game the way I want to.  One man's misery is another's source of glee.

Ehem... you are incorrect in stating that respawing loot will stop server hopping for loot. I thought that was obvious what I was stating you were incorrect about from how I explained how respawing loot will not stop server hopping for loot. 

Oddly enough the marketing tag is also the DESIGN CONCEPT for the game. You will see more and more systems dedicated to that design concept and not ones that are dedicated to strictly "Hop in and play PVP for a few hours".  The devs are making a survival horror game, not a deathmatch game. ;) Part of the survival horror is that other players will try to kill you, but that is not the focus of the game. If it was we wouldn't need antibiotics, splints, different types of food, craftable backpacks, non-military clothing... and more.