Sign in to follow this  
trev186

Buff crossbows and normal bow

I have been contemplating making a robin hood type character for fun...hunt only well geared people and then dump their gear in the ocean

But bows and arrows are too weak in this game and also the loot spawns are stacked against you.

1. Composite arrows are rare and mainly spawn at millitary sites..the army is not using many bows

2. The bow requires u to be a master of stealth and is only mid to short range. I get that someone should have obvious advantages over a bow when armed with an AKM or m4..but if you get a shot in either arm or their chest and the arrow is still lodged in, there is no way in hell they are going to be able to turn around and aim and shoot u. Arguably most would pass out or shit themselves from the exp alone

3. Quivers are either no longer in game or are super rare...

My solution to this is:

1. Make the shafts of arrows craftable from wood and have composite shafts with broadheads available in game.

2. The wooden arrows can be crafted but do lower damage due to less penetration and also be less accurate. The broadheads should kill with a single shot to the chest & should inflict the pain debuff in the arms making it harder to fire.

3. Make a craftable quiver from leather

4. Consider adding a true compound bow for greater range with sites & a stabelizer add on

As someone who grew up bow hunting this would fill me with glee

• Like 13

I would like broadheads to cause a ton of bleeding damage.

Like, if you get tagged and dont banadgaed in 20 or 30 seconds, your fucked.

I really do hope they buff the bows, fix spawns and etc, but i feel they have other things to deal with atm.

The craftable leather quiver sounds good and i think i heard somewhere that crafting arrows will soon be a thing.

They just need to fix stealth, add the quiver and craftable arrows and the rest you may see fixed in beta testing

• Like 1

I would like broadheads to cause a ton of bleeding damage.

Like, if you get tagged and dont banadgaed in 20 or 30 seconds, your fucked.

honestly should be less time to bleed...broad head is guaranteed to rip up vital organs...u would not be able to stop the internal bleeding

It should be death anywhere on the chest

Edited by trev186
  • Like 2

Yeah currently bolts and arrows are so rare the weapons might as well be classed as novelty weapons.

I think for lighting fires they should add flint as an item anyway, so sticks + flint should make maybe 3 arrows. You should also need tape or string for them and a small hammer to shape the rocks(then they'd have a use)

That would be cool.

Perhaps crafted arrows have a 50/50 chance of breaking or something to balance it out, composite ones are what you want but crafted are easy to come by.

Also yeah a craftable quiver is genius so long as there isn't a 5 bolt/arrow limit...

And yeah I've not seen a quiver in forever not sure if they are in game.

I'd like to have to use a crossbow or bow but currently fists are a more viable option.

honestly should be less time to bleed...broad head is guaranteed to rip up vital organs...u would not be able to stop the internal bleeding

It should be death anywhere on the chest.

Id be good for that too.

You might not die right away, but taking an arrow to the chest would guarantee your death over a little time.

I like it.

Id be good for that too.

You might not die right away, but taking an arrow to the chest would guarantee your death over a little time.

I like it.

Arguably it should knock them unconscious

A Large deer may be able to run off and bleed out but they only make it a few hundred feet if u hit them right....

Whereas a man is much less powerful and does not have such a strong instinctive drive as a deer.

I do agree that the crossbow/bow needs to be made better, as to make them viable for something.

But in my mind, the crossbow/bow aren't there to supplant firearms. They're there to give the player a silent method of neutralizing zombies/players without having to find an ostensibly rare suppressor. Problem is, stealth is pretty much a non-factor as it stands right now.

I don't ever think, or want this to be the case, that we'll all be running about with bows most of the time and have firearms be super rare.

They have a specific use, and shouldn't be there to take the place of firearms.

Edited by Katana67

I have been contemplating making a robin hood type character for fun...hunt only well geared people and then dump their gear in the ocean.

Did you ever hear the story of Robin Hood?

I believe his maxim was to "rob from the rich and give to the poor", not "kill the rich and destroy the loot".

Just... Sayin'...

Edited by zeeabo
  • Like 2

Did you ever hear the story of Robin Hood?

I believe his maxim was to "rob from the rich and give to the poor", not "kill the rich and destroy the loot".

Just... Sayin'...

Dayz style robin hood cause the bambis are more likely than not the bandits ur killing to take the gear from ;) 

• Like 1

I've made a post recently in the 'Poison Arrows' thread encouraging arrows and bolts to apply a movement speed penalty in order to buff them without having to increase their base damage. What do you think??

I've made a post recently in the 'Poison Arrows' thread encouraging arrows and bolts to apply a movement speed penalty in order to buff them without having to increase their base damage. What do you think??

no need for poison....having an arrow lodged in your body will restrict your movement plenty...

went ahead and made a experimental character to do this on....

Hc had a cross bow and could not find rope. one nice pass over NWAF got some green gear and was looking good.

Then server lags and i freeze while in a construction site....server unfreezes and i fly off cliff...was looking for rope but broke my own rule...don't go up stairs ...i deserved to die for that 

no need for poison....having an arrow lodged in your body will restrict your movement plenty...

I don't believe that mechanic is currently inplemented. That being poison OR a debuff.

As soon as it becomes a viable option I am certainly going to start hunting players with a bow and arrow.. 

That will become my thing for a while.. crafting all supplies that I can and hunting for food off of well geared players.. give their loot away to freshies.

It would be nice if we could attach russian scopes instead of us ones, also be able to retrieve bolts from AI's inventery when you kill them, red arch and piano houses have bolts as well, i'm pretty sure they don't spawn in barracks or hangar's only jails and ACT would be nice if their effective range was upped another 20 meters or so.  haven't attempted killing a human with them yet so dunno how effective they are in that regard. 

I really hope, that we can finally craft arrows in next update

Toyed around with both Ashwood bow and cross bow some..

Looking closly at the composite arrows they do appear to be broadheads.

However the damage from both weapons is concerning. It takes so long to load an arrow that in the time u can ready a second arrow someone can just turn around and shoot u.

The issue with quivers not spawning seems to be resolved cause now u can just place up to five arrows or bolts on either crossbow or ashwood bow. Arrows and bolts also fit in an ammo box. It would be nice to have a craftable quiver which you could wear though.

Kitting up an all bow and arrow character is fairly easy. I am going for an all green/camo millitary look with crossbow on my back and ashwood bow in backpack. The ashwoodbow fits in a hunting pack. When you are not kitting up a pistol or rifle you can find most the gear pretty quick and have a lot of bag space. Aside from the shirt/pants/backpack/vest/helmet you only really need the bows & arrows.

On expietmental the new weapon sway mechnaic is way to punishing to bows though. I could only hit two targets from an ambush position after sneaking up from behind. I was also only like 15 meters away. I had the target centered in my sites and the arrow would just hit the ground off to the side.

The scoped position of the ashwood bow is horrible...for some reason they have you putting the bow horizontal and all you can see is you hand. Scoped position should be vertical and arrow should be visible to aid with aim.

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

Love the suggestions. Using bows/crossbows is super lame, at the moment. They are weak, hard to find ammo for and have super shitty reload times. There is no reason for me to use one because "stealth" doesn't matter in DayZ right now.

Other suggestion: Pulling an arrow from a zombie and shooting it into a player should cause sickness.

• Like 1

It should be death anywhere on the chest

you also can't just bandage over the wound of an 7.62x51mm wound and be fine if it hit your liver, lung or stomach....

this is a whole other topic

though yes, buff the bow please, especially the part with craftable arrows

why have a craftable weapon that is useless without extremely rare to find ammo?