Sign in to follow this  
Solreal

Just shoot me.

What a thread, seriously.

If someone doesnt want to get mugged and prefers to shoot first, ok thats acceptable. If someone wants to stay and maybe enjoy the "interaction" thats ok too.

But when you (non-specific)  come here and tell someone that hes playstyle is not acceptable cause thats not the way YOU want to play, your a fkin tool, you really are.

Same thing with all the million KoS/bandit topics.

Nobodys right or wrong here, its about playstyles and to me none of them are wrong as long as it doesnt include hacking or any other that sort of thing.

Nobody has told him he is "wrong" for playing that way. What we have been telling him is that he is probably missing out on some opprotunities to meet others who are NOT hostile by just automatically assuming they are hostile. Having played the mod for years many of us are past the, "OMG they want my stuffs!" phase and realize that DayZ is not about gathering guns, but about playing in a sandbox with other people and seeing what results from it. 

"Hey, i have a sawed-off shotgun aimed at your head, don't move a finger. Why? Cause I'm lonely and need a stranger on the internet to talk to and I also want to give you an unsolicited can of tuna that you could have found by looting any of the thousands of buildings in game!

What's that, you were already looting buildings when i interrupted you with a shotty to the back of your head? Oh, I see, valid point. But i need this interaction, i need this! So I'm going to just forcibly "help" you at gunpoint; whether you like it, need it or want it..."

Seems legit.

Hmmmmmm... I think you might maybe, possibly, in some small way be sarcastic here.... but the jury is still out. ;)

Look. My point is really simple and should be simple to grasp.

If I spot you I can avoid the whole damn area and leave. I could also just pop you in the head before you ever see me. The other possibility is I can approach you. If I do so by announcing my presence in advance and from your front it is likely I am going to die. If I get the drop on you I have a chance to interact(hopefully) before you start blasting and hopefully I don't have to kill you. 

If you are in the area I am in though... I CAN'T IGNORE YOU. One way or another I have to deal with you and it will be on my terms if I can help it. If you can't grasp that then enjoy all your trips to the coast and I hope they don't make you too bitter, but down that route lies simply shooting everyone on sight and a whole lot of boredom. Those of us who have been here for years have been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the shot glass, and moved on to other things.

• Like 2

Mercules, you have my beans for your patience in this thread.

Personally, when a guy steps out behind me, points his gun at my head and asks me to put mine away, thats not an act of agression for me. He gained an advantage and decided to interact with me. What he does with this advantage is written on another sheet of paper. Yes, he could kill me, yes he could rob me, but its also possible that he starts talking to me, offering help or informations. The act of sneaking behind and gaining an advantage over me simply was his own life insurance. And honestly, that doesnt scare me much, unlike the guy simply sprinting towards me yelling FRIENDLY FRIENDLY in his mic.

Sadly, you simply have to be this cautious.

• Like 1

Yes, he could kill me, yes he could rob me, but its also possible that he starts talking to me, offering help or informations.

I keep hearing about "help" being offered when being held up. What help?

I'm as new  to this game as can be and i haven't needed any help, at all. An hour of looting and I'm fully equipped.

Information? Alt-tab and the dayz wiki has all the info I need. I have a map on my cell phone... Food and drink is so plentiful I don't even store them i just eat/drink as i come upon it. Broken leg? Unless it happens right as i re spawn, it is no issue as I always have rags, and sticks. Ammo? I'm overflowing with ammo..

So, what help does a geared player that you've just stuck a gun at actually need? And what information do you have that is so valuable that you need to stick a gun in someones face in order to "share" it?

Edited by Solreal

So, what help does a geared player that you've just stuck a gun at actually need? And what information do you have that is so valuable that you need to stick a gun in someones face in order to "share" it?

As for help, not everybody is i.e. carrying around charcoal tablets to fight a food poisoning. Just one example.Asking for trades is another option of player interaction. Informations can be like when you approach the general direction of an airfield or a smaller village and you see someone coming from just there that he could tell you if theres a fight going on at the airfield or that the next town is completely looted, and you should go for another one if youre low on supplies.

Yes of course you dont need that most of the time. But speaking for myself, I want that. I enjoy player interaction and approaching someone with unclear intentions adds to the thrill the game offers to me. If it starts a gunfight well then it is like that. If it turns out well then you had a nice experience with another human being in a cold, post-apocalyptic world.

EDIT: Also i wasn't speaking about fully geared players exclusively. What i said counts for all kinds of players.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

Thank you form sharing some examples. I'm not sold, but I can see how a role-player would make do.

• Like 1

I keep hearing about "help" being offered when being held up. What help?

I'm as new  to this game as can be and i haven't needed any help, at all. An hour of looting and I'm fully equipped.

Information? Alt-tab and the dayz wiki has all the info I need. I have a map on my cell phone... Food and drink is so plentiful I don't even store them i just eat/drink as i come upon it. Broken leg? Unless it happens right as i re spawn, it is no issue as I always have rags, and sticks. Ammo? I'm overflowing with ammo..

Well, I can't tell if you are fully geared or not, just from your appearance. I've seen plenty of people in combat gear lacking a screwdriver/knife/can opener and any type of food other than canned that were basically one step from starving. The "help" pages tell you to eat all the food you run across right then and there unless you are overfull. Well, I've run into people who did so and then logged into a server later unable to find food. They got tagged by a zombie and were not full enough to heal and appreciated the food. Since loot is random you won't always find what you need when you need it. 

As for information things like, "I just came from Kamino and there were a lot of gunshots." can get someone looking for some action headed over there or someone avoiding trouble to circle around it. Sometimes it might be something like, "I just came from X and it was empty so don't waste time going there."

The one help/need you are missing is the information that I am in the area, saw you without you seeing me, and could have killed you but didn't. This doesn't mean you can trust the person who did that, but it does mean they are probably less likely to kill you for no reason and hey, maybe you and they can work together.

• Like 1

I don't understand why some people think that rolling over and doing what some pimple-faced, mouth-breathing brat tells you to do is okay. 

I'm going to totally agree with Solreal's points here.  I would rather die on my own terms than to be a toy for someone else.  If a guy shoots you because you don't comply what do you lose?  Gear?  OH NOES!  People with any balls at all will not stand for that nonsense.  Take the risk. Attack the loser trying to hold you hostage.  You have nothing to lose!

Edited by Parazight
  • Like 2

I don't understand why some people think that rolling over and doing what some pimple-faced, mouth-breathing brat tells you to do is okay.

I'm going to totally agree with Solreal's points here. I would rather die on my own terms than to be a toy for someone else. If a guy shoots you because you don't comply what do you lose? Gear? OH NOES! People with any balls at all will not stand for that nonsense. Take the risk. Attack the loser trying to hold you hostage. You have nothing to lose!

At the moment yes just gear, moving forward who knows. Personally I'd take the approach of this if I happen upon someone geared facing away from me it's simple yeah I'll tell them not to turn around or I'll shoot, ask if they need anything then bail of they don't. I tend to keep extra things on me (can openers etcetera.

And getting mugged sucks over all they need to remove the force feed option as well as the handcuffs. Sometimes you happen on someone and don't know they have a partner, they act friendly and suddenly you're being cuffed. Then it's little or no option until they've "had their fun".

Simple as that no, but until we had an actual reason to live and role playing is common/fun these are un-needed mechanics

I'm with you, I am not a toy for some dick to play with.  You wanna roleplay?  Fine D&D fanboi go roleplay, but with some one else.  I am not interested in your style of playing the game so leave me to mine and have the decency to respect that.

Edited by Barnabus

IF another player has you dead to rights, you seriously have NOTHING to lose by playing along that you weren't going to lose anyways.  So why not play along and have an experience?  

There is no reason to get upset about an attempted mugging.  You can choose to comply or go down shooting.  It's always your choice.  I would much rather have an experience than get KOS'd while I am eating a potato.... 

IF another player has you dead to rights, you seriously have NOTHING to lose by playing along that you weren't going to lose anyways.  So why not play along and have an experience?  

There is no reason to get upset about an attempted mugging.  You can choose to comply or go down shooting.  It's always your choice.  I would much rather have an experience than get KOS'd while I am eating a potato.... 

Yeah, precisely. Being subject to other people s whims is part of the DayZ experience. It's one of the reasons why I play DayZ.

Guess some of the people in this thread would not have been amused praying to the holy fire extuinguisher at gunpoint ... Or the holy rock. Or the holy potato.

Still mad about their shoes being thrown into the ocean, no doubt.

I would have no problem with it if people were normal. They are not.

I will drop a gun, raise my hands and talk, whatever. If anyone I don't know comes in handcuff range and I am unarmed then I will go down fighting. I would much rather respawn then encounter someone like this.

Everyone has their own way of playing DayZ, that is what makes it great.