ColonelBurton

I just murdered and looted someone very close to me.....

Well I'm overlooking Svetlo from the southern hill. Suddenly I hear footsteps right next to me. I panic. The game lags. "Aaand I'm dead", I think to myself.

The fps goes back to nominal as I turn around lied prone.

A guy in Gorka pants and jacket kneels behind me. Mosin in my hand, I consider whining "Don't shoot" then realise the guy is looking over me, not at me.... wait.. Hey that guy looks familiar.

What the hell??? That's me???? Complete with gear and all.

I decide to do the only thing that's right and to kill the impostor! Also curious to see what happens to the real me.

One tap to the temple with the Amphibia does it. He drops dead.

Turns out all his gear is available for the grabs, so I decide to treat myself to some mosin ammo as a just reward for boldly putting myself at risk for the greater good of DayZ. 

The only weird thing was, my clones ammo clips were all expent.

Other than that, I was able to take everything, even drink the canteens empty.

EDIT: If the devs want to know what I think caused this, they can contact me via PM

Edited by ColonelBurton
  • Like 4

Im sorry to say but next time you log in / change server you will probably start as a freshspawn again

• Like 2

I accidentally saw my clone logging out. Scared me pretty good too.

We'll see about that, stay tuned for more info.

It would be interesting to see if I do respawn as fresh-spawn. Because in that case, the issue needs to be resolved bad.

If I had left my clone behind and someone else killed him, the same outcome would have resulted.

Darwin award? I should be getting the Nobel prize for research here!

EDIT: I have killed my clones before on previous versions, and nothing happened. All I got back then, however, was a t-shirt to tear to rags.

Edited by ColonelBurton

Darwin award? I should be getting the Nobel prize for research here!

Yes, in cloning :D

• Like 2

Im sorry to say but next time you log in / change server you will probably start as a freshspawn again

Wait a minute. You actually registered to post this ???

Well I'm sorry to say that I logged in alive not only with my gear but with the gear I looted from my clone.

Welcome to one incarnation of the item duping exploit. When you see a squad of guys all in identical gear with boxes full of ammo and everything is completely identical you now know how they accomplished that. It's a known bug, one I WISH they'd fix because so many people exploit it.

Well I'm sorry to say that I logged in alive not only with my gear but with the gear I looted from my clone.

You should take anything a guy with only 1 post says with a massive grain of salt...

Well I'm overlooking Svetlo from the southern hill. Suddenly I hear footsteps right next to me. I panic. The game lags. "Aaand I'm dead", I think to myself.

A guy in Gorka pants and jacket kneels behind me. Mosin in my hand, I consider whining "Don't shoot" then realise the guy is looking over me, not at me.... wait.. Hey that guy looks familiar.

I decide to do the only thing that's right and to kill the impostor! Also curious to see what happens to the real me.

Turns out all his gear is available for the grabs, so I decide to treat myself to some mosin ammo as a just reward for boldly putting myself at risk for the greater good of DayZ. 

EDIT: If the devs want to know what I think caused this, they can contact me via PM

inception

Happened to me twice. My twin spawned next to me. I killed him and looted him. I didn't cause my character to die, so don't be afraid. A known bug.

Edited by saamohod

This is a widely known issue caused by server lag. Let me guess, you had just logged in. Be honest. (;

You can kill yourself without worry as long as you make sure you're NOT desyncing when you do. If you kill yourself when desyncing, the server seems to think you've died as it doesn't register there are two of you. I'm assuming your hesitation to kill yourself let any desync you might've had after logging on dissipate.

This is also how people duplicate gear for their friends.

Welcome to one incarnation of the item duping exploit. When you see a squad of guys all in identical gear with boxes full of ammo and everything is completely identical you now know how they accomplished that. It's a known bug, one I WISH they'd fix because so many people exploit it.

Rocket said duping and cheating was going to be a priority fix. They're working on this glitch RIGHT NOW! They jump on top of these things right away.

This is a widely known issue caused by server lag. Let me guess, you had just logged in. Be honest. (;

I'm not going to say in public how I caused it (I think I know pretty much exactly how this happens) but yes, I was roughly 30 seconds, maybe a minute into the game.

Not entirely true, my clan all run with identical gear none of which were obtained via this glitch.

• Like 2

Happens alot if theres lag around. Especially when game crashes/you shut it down.

Whats creepy about it that the clones will turn their heads to look at you as you walk around them.

• Like 4

Happended to me too today. When even I know how it happened, you can be sure the devs know exactly why. For me that started when I was disconnected from a server, reconnected and found my clone still there in the logging out phase. Back then the duplicates vanished and it was rumored that you got a char reset when you killed them and they vanished a little afterwards.

The current ones are harder to deal with. The first time I saw that maybe two weeks ago. Then I kept waiting till he vanished, but my clone stood there in the trees for about half an hour. I finally decided to kill him because I was scared of the following szenario:

I log out at some point. Sometime later someone kills my clone. Will his death erase my char? Don't want to find out...

Btw, the first guy logging out I found in Berezino. I talked to him, he turned his head, looked at me and fruther ignored me. I did not know that the char moves when logging out, so I thought he simply did not want contact. I simply dropped a few cans of opened food at his feet and moved on. What a waste.

Concerning your clips, have you tried relogging?

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

I found someones clone the other day and it scared the living shit out of me. I thought it was a player till it started doing that clone animation of looking around. So I blasted the hell spawn.

Kill them and bury them. It's the right thing to do...Personally I built a fire pit on him and tried to incinerate all that unholiness.

• Like 3

Rocket said duping and cheating was going to be a priority fix. They're working on this glitch RIGHT NOW! They jump on top of these things right away.

Mmmmmkay, they jump on them right away, which is why it's been in the game AS LONG AS ANYONE CAN REMEMBER. Rocket either doesn't give a flying F about the duping exploit, or doesn't understand how bad it is (unlikely), or based on the current engine and such is incapable of fixing it until infusion and other puzzle pieces are far more sorted out (most likely). It's literally been around as long as I've played the game, which is quite a few months. You are correct on their intentions but incredibly misinformed about the nature and scope of the problem.

Not entirely true, my clan all run with identical gear none of which were obtained via this glitch.

You're an admirable exception to the rule them. I've watched new spawns kill me (let's not talk about it) and then item dupe themselves up to be better geared via the escape key. It's beyond a widespread problem, there's some times I think I'm one of the only people who DOESN'T do it.

Na i didnt register just for this ;D just my first post though.

Ok lucky you then,.. last time I killed a clone of mine I started fresh spawn after logging in. Maybe it was patched who knows

so if you talk to the clone does its mouth move and repeat what you say in a creepy monotone voice ?

Probably not, since all you do (moving around, firing) is also not repeated by the clone. He just stands there looking lost.

There's a lot of posts I didn't read before me, so I apologize if this was already said lol. If you had just logged in, logged out, then logged back in, then you probably killed yourself. But considering you heard footsteps I doubt it.

I've witnessed a hacker in action one time actually take gear off of a clan member without killing them or even being visible. His gear just started to disappear off of his body, then the next person.