Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

Rocket makes statement about Navmesh/Zombies/Animals and Respawning

And its really damn interesting..

http://de.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2a1fiv/dayz_dev_team_please_give_us_devblogs/ciqqi8o

"Just between you and me, the Zombies use of the new Navmesh has been done and I have it on good authority that it will be commited to SVN tomorrow. So then we test it and see how they run (the zombies that is). We can then start using the Navmesh for other functions, such as animals and respawning." 

..And he says some more if you read his other post there. :)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

What exactly is Navmesh?

What exactly is Navmesh?

Navmesh is a technique to tell NPCs and other AI controlled entities where they can go and what paths to take to go somewhere

basically they are using some kind of ray-casting technique to determine where walkable paths are, and where none are (for example through walls), automating the process of creating navigation nodes en mass to reduce processing power needed to determine where npcs can go

• Like 3

What exactly is Navmesh?

Its like a grid over the map, that defines everything we see for the AI and other mechanics. As it is now, there is not really Navmesh for the buildings and fencing and whatnot, so Zombies ignore them altogether, spawns ignore them and we go through walls, etc.. With Navmesh, there will be much less wall glitches, stuck players, and should be ZERO zeds clipping through walls and doors. 

• Like 2

This is great news! It means a solid leap of progress in the right direction. This is a problem as ancient as the original dayz mod itself.

If a few new issues arise as a result of this (framerate drops, etc.), I wont mind.

Now....if they could JUST get around to eliminating randomized ballistics in favor of a more skill based shooting system...

• Like 1

I'm not sure I follow that interview correctly, but why didn't rocket answer "how many zombies can be implemented"

Navmesh is a technique to tell NPCs and other AI controlled entities where they can go and what paths to take to go somewhere

basically they are using some kind of ray-casting technique to determine where walkable paths are, and where none are (for example through walls), automating the process of creating navigation nodes en mass to reduce processing power needed to determine where npcs can go

is this interactive, like when you close a door, the zombie wont come through the door?

what is SVN ?

Red

a program many companies use to store, share, backup and distribute an internal version of a project.

Basically a very fancy and advanced dropbox.

• Like 2

what is SVN ?

Red

A tool to share collaborative work (code here), if I remember well (not used since ages...).

EDIT : Well Chompster beats me with a more detailed explanation, gg

Edited by Vekaras

Its like a grid over the map, that defines everything we see for the AI and other mechanics. As it is now, there is not really Navmesh for the buildings and fencing and whatnot, so Zombies ignore them altogether, spawns ignore them and we go through walls, etc.. With Navmesh, there will be much less wall glitches, stuck players, and should be ZERO zeds clipping through walls and doors. 

Great, so now those 2-3 zeds that may chase you will be even easier to deal with. I look forward to feeling even safer in this zombieless apoc.

Sarcasm aside, it is a good thing, but I really couldn't care less until we get back to the point where we can whip around to look out a window and see a guy run by, then a couple seconds later a stream of 50 zeds on his tail.

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 1

Zombies not walking through walls? What do you mean? It wouldn't be DayZ if zombies didn't walk through walls.. I mean come on guys.. walls aren't solid objects or anything, like why wouldn't zombies walk through walls.

Seriously Thank you rocket for finally getting your shit together. Only took 2 years to fix an ancient problem. 

• Like 2

is this interactive, like when you close a door, the zombie wont come through the door?

Its the first step prior to barricading.. So yes and no, Zeds can still open doors if you have not barricaded it up. They are like Velociraptors in that sense. 

• Like 1

They should just call it Navelmesh for shits and giggles. XD

• Like 1

They should just call it Navelmesh for shits and giggles. XD

hentai baka

hentai baka

I wouldn't even consider that to be perverted and stupid. You want to see extremely perverted and stupid it would gouge your eyes and soul out.

Great, so now those 2-3 zeds that may chase you will be even easier to deal with. I look forward to feeling even safer in this zombieless apoc.

Sarcasm aside, it is a good thing, but I really couldn't care less until we get back to the point where we can whip around to look out a window and see a guy run by, then a couple seconds later a stream of 50 zeds on his tail.

I agree with about the numbers, but you have to remember that now they will follow you upstairs every time, all the way to the top. So no more zombiesafe zones by going to the second floor.

• Like 1

I agree with about the numbers, but you have to remember that now they will follow you upstairs every time, all the way to the top. So no more zombiesafe zones by going to the second floor.

Not true you forgot about ladders. If they cannot climb ladders than it will still be a matter of avoiding danger all together. However if they get it down like the mod than no place will be safe. Maybe the woods and thats it lol.

I wouldn't even consider that to be perverted and stupid. You want to see extremely perverted and stupid it would gouge your eyes and soul out.

Holding hands?

I'm not sure I follow that interview correctly, but why didn't rocket answer "how many zombies can be implemented"

Because we simply won't know until ALL of the remaining new core architecture is in place (64-bit servers, multi threading, navmesh, etc). The 64 bit servers opens up "the avenue" needed for DayZ to get to the next level in the foreseeable future. Without it means it will always be where we are now with balancing loot against zombies and how both significantly affect performance. You must walk before you run and sometimes that requires crawling....

Think of the navmesh more as an ingredient to a recipe or a small piece to a much larger puzzle. However insignificant this may seem to someone, make no mistake It is a vital milestone and one I'll gladly welcome. Nothing sucks worse than having your character ambushed by a single wall clipping zombie as it destroys everything in your inventory. And to think some of you would rather have more broken zombies than having zombies actually fixed means your priorities are backwards IMHO.

But then you would just be complaining "Why are these 50+ zombies STILL clipping through walls and buildings??? These extra zombies are great and all but man I wished they would fix the path finding". Can't have your cake and eat it too. Patience is a virtue. First order of business is to FIX the zombies and then we can talk about ADDING more (fixed) zombies....

Edited by haknslash
  • Like 1

Neat.

Hopefully it'll finally allow them to bump the zombie numbers up and actually begin tweaking how they behave.

- Zombie world navigation

- Zombie numbers (hopefully in the thousands, as was first shown off way back in March of last year IIRC)

- Zombie animations (i.e. slashing, swiping, biting, running, etc.)

- Zombie behavior and aggro (i.e. stealth, audibility, line-of-sight, tracking, etc.)

- Zombie balance (i.e. damage, bleeding, speed, etc.)

That's how they should approach things.

• Like 4