Irish.

I want to practice some sniping with my SKS... any ideas?

I dont have much experience with the SKS, but want to learn each weapon in the game and its the last one for me to tackle.. 

Now I know my options, but what I dont know due to the map changing recently is where I should go to get some practice?

I am open to shooting Zeds, bandits, clans, other players in general just as long as they are able to defend themselves and are not fresh spawns.. 

Is there a town that is just always full of Zeds and offers a long distance "target range" that someone can recommend? Is there a place, like Berezino, that is just always packed with idiots? Besides Berezino I guess.. I just hate that town now. Love it in DayZero. Hate it in Standalone. Is there a clan that wants to do a "Lone Survivor" thing and allow me to attack them solo so they can all learn to counter-snipe/defend themselves? I play fair and we can all be on the same TS if you want, Ill be in separate channel so the leader can hop back and forth to talk to me if needed.. I just want practice, dont care about dying and have some decent gear that anyone could make use of if not ruined in the process.. Hell, Ill even lay it on the ground if we know the server schedule so nothing gets ruined. I can just stay near it for ammo, supplies. 

Anyhow, the last thing I want to do is snipe unsuspecting people from 500m away who have no chance at all. Thats not practice. I can use Zeds for that. So if you know of where to find the Zeds, or the people looking to tussle.. I'd appreciate the help! :)

Zambies are the best targets, but you have my permission to violate Green Mountain tower with your bullets.

• Like 2

I recommend you find a relatively empty server and hike up rocky cliff to the north of Svetlojarsk.   You can look into town and see zombies at a lot of different ranges.  If you're using the PU sight system you can zero it using the PgUp and PgDn keys.  It's important to guestimate or use a map to work out distances before you take a shot.  Take lots of ammo. If you're prone, make sure your gun clears the rocks or your bullet will clip into it.

Edited by nettles
  • Like 2

The radio tower on the hill on the Northern side of Svetlo. When you have a sniping weapon you can get a good look at the zombies in the town and the puffs of smoke should give you a good idea of your zeroing. From that point you'll also have a direct line onto the police station if you fancy taking pop-shots at players.

If you are good enough, you can shoot the petrol station to the West of the city, but it's a bloody hard shot.

• Like 1

The radio tower on the hill on the Northern side of Svetlo. When you have a sniping weapon you can get a good look at the zombies in the town and the puffs of smoke should give you a good idea of your zeroing. From that point you'll also have a direct line onto the police station if you fancy taking pop-shots at players.

If you are good enough, you can shoot the petrol station to the West of the city, but it's a bloody hard shot.

Excellent ideas guys, thanks to everyone so far!

On your post, thats a good one, its where I mastered the M4 at long ranges.. Now that Petrol Station, that I could do with a Mosin no problem.. but an SKS? damn man, thats like a 750m+ shot from what I remember.. does the sks have that much range on it? I know it zeros to 1000m but does it really travel that far effectively? :)

The starry with the police station is good it is in the bottom of a valley I was sniping zombies there with my AKM.

A lot spawn there too. There are even a few who patrol randomly when not aggroed 

• Like 1

hehe sounds interesting ;)

Would be nice if DayZ would add a training area like say Planetside 2 where you can test the weapon out /find range an such/ teach newbs how to swing an ax..ect ect lol ya right I know but I can dream right?/??

Anyway back to my beer and deer stand /hic

:D TuT

• Like 1

Svetlo. I'm not gonna specify where but it's obviously when you enter town where you can snipe from.

In any case, don't snipe with the SKS. It's only good for around 50m. 

• Like 1

You can stand high on the fields on the east side of Zelenogorsk and you might find a few Zeds at range.

Just stay on the outskirts of towns and have a look in at range. Might find some, might not.

Edited by SniperVillan
  • Like 1

Svetlo. I'm not gonna specify where but it's obviously when you enter town where you can snipe from.

In any case, don't snipe with the SKS. It's only good for around 50m. 

Thanks ;) ! As far as the SKS range though, Ive already sniped several Zeds at around 250-300m with single shot headshots.. so ???  :huh:

You can stand high on the fields on the east side of Zelenogorsk and you might find a few Zeds at range.

Just stay on the outskirts of towns and have a look in at range. Might find some, might not.

Which leads me to where I killed those Zeds at that range.. I was in the woods just south of Green Mtn. sniping through the trees at Zeds out in the field in Zeleno, between 250-300m away. I had to take 2 shots on the first zed, but the other 3 were all single shot kills. Im looking for longer ranges and many more targets if I can find that? I have like I dont know, 300 rounds so I have some lead to kill ;)

Does anyone know what the actual max range is for the SKS? Is it 1000m like the zeroing or less than that? I can always just give it a go, but I was wondering if anyone knew... 

Does anyone know what the actual max range is for the SKS?

> 1140m

• Like 1

> 1140m

Holy hell, and I know you're serious so I wont offend you with questions.

Now time to go map out an 1125m shot :D

Thanks Gews! 

Edited by lrish

Great thread Irish! I've been itching to practice at range for a while, as my DayZ scope skills are pretty shat. Been searching for a longhorn hard because of its stopping power. I know the longhorn is def not ideal for sniping but my character does not use long guns.

• Like 1

Great thread Irish! I've been itching to practice at range for a while, as my DayZ scope skills are pretty shat. Been searching for a longhorn hard because of its stopping power. I know the longhorn is def not ideal for sniping but my character does not use long guns.

I have one and am interested in using it at longer ranges.. I tried things under 100m and its amazing for that. But I figured with it being a pistol that it would be limited.. Ill have to test some range with it to see :D

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

I have one and am interested in using it at longer ranges.. I tried things under 100m and its amazing for that. But I figured with it being a pistol that it would be limited.. Ill have to test some range with it to see :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/157E9LRDmu9SeGzdjYKfBausMNDjfYFefD-hJAYGdAe8/

Look up the stats for yourself. The Longhorn is about 2x as inaccurate as the SKS.