irl-calibre

resharpen axes

anyone heard any chat about being able to fix up axes? only takes a couple of trees to wreck them, a whetstone would be handy - would be more use than a weapon cleaning kit anyways!

You already can with a normal stone.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 4

really? blow me down, never too old to learn something new everyday ;) 

Agreed. I also think cutting down trees should take it's toll on your character. Cutting down a sizeable tree with an axe is fucking exhausting, especially if you're under-nourished, and very, very time-consuming - not to mention extremely noisey.

I'd also like to see stuff like broken axe-handles, further down the line. Lumberjacking ought to be difficult and risky.

even damaged axe still works though doesn't it?

Yep, but a damaged axe will get ruined pretty quickly, so you've gotta keep an eye on it.

AFAIK you can only sharpen Badly Damaged axes (or any other blade), and it will only upgrade it to Damaged. But you can sharpen it as many times as you want and cut down a whole forest :P

Edited by zeeabo

Yep, but a damaged axe will get ruined pretty quickly, so you've gotta keep an eye on it.

AFAIK you can only sharpen Badly Damaged axes (or any other blade), and it will only upgrade it to Damaged. But you can sharpen it as many times as you want and cut down a whole forest :P

ya beat me to it ;)

I was under the impression it took it to worn when you use a stone but I have as yet to try. something new to find out...

ive chopped a few trees with an axe and ive yet to see it ruined, maybe it takes a few more.

ive chopped a few trees with an axe and ive yet to see it ruined, maybe it takes a few more.

which axe if I may ask? I have utterly destroyed several splitting axes chopping down the forests around gorka, took about 5 trees on a worn axe and maybe 7 or 8 on a pristine. 2 trees took my pristine fire axe to worn by the way (I don't use it to chop trees anymore). of course this was all before .46 rolled to experimental.

gorka looks kinda bald with no trees.

i believe it was splitting axe ive used the most but have tried the fireman's axe too. i probably just didn't chop enough trees down to get to that point.

• Like 1

I tried sharpening my badly damaged splitting axe with a rock I mined, but I can't figure out how to get the option to do it. Nothing seems to work, dragging one thing to the other, holding the rock, or the axe, right clicking etc. Does anyone know the exact steps how to do this?

They need to do something about the durability for sure, I don't think the axes should get ruined from it because how the heck does an axe get ruined that quick? They should just get to badly damaged status and take like 30-40 chops to cut down a tree which also takes away a fuck ton of energy.

Took me forever to get my first camp fire going because all I was finding were badly damaged axes that couldn't even manage one tree...

Did not know about sharpening with stones, is that a joke?

I tried sharpening my badly damaged splitting axe with a rock I mined, but I can't figure out how to get the option to do it. Nothing seems to work, dragging one thing to the other, holding the rock, or the axe, right clicking etc. Does anyone know the exact steps how to do this?

I have no idea but try throwing the axe on the ground and holding the stone? I'm not sure if that guy is being serious or not I've never heard of anyone saying you can do that and seen tons of people complaining about axe durability...

Can't confirm for Splitting axe, but drag & drop stone onto firefighter axe worked for me (being specific just in case, stone was on the ground, axe was on my back). Axe is definitely Badly damaged? I got confused by that once before realising the axe was only Damaged.

I was under the impression it took it to worn when you use a stone but I have as yet to try.

Definitely only repairs to Damaged status, did it just this morning 20 mins ago :P
  • Like 1

Drag the stone onto the axe and you will get an option to sharpen it. A pristine splitting axe can cut down a few trees before becoming worn, and maybe a couple more till it gets damaged. After it becomes damaged you can cut 1 tree down before it becomes badly damaged. One more tree will make it ruined.

couldn't get the stone thing to work at all (on stable)

You dont have to hold either one, it should work in your inventory. Ive never tried actually dragging the stone onto the axe while either was in my hands.

Edit: Just tried dragging stone to axe in hands, it worked just fine.

Edited by gr8mghtyp00

You already can with a normal stone.

Last I checked it wasn't working yet. Haven't tried it today, but did recently and no go. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

all of which require, btw, that you either find a stone randomly (difficult), or ALSO have a pick axe to mine one, which is then used to sharpen back to damaged status. Once that's done, you can chop down two more trees, until you need to sharpen again, which again requires the stone. Unless you are willing to carry one with you, which takes up a ridiculous amount of inventory space.

Frankly, I think they should just increase the durability of the axe significantly, and just do away with the sharpening nonsense. Fire axes and splitting axes just don't wear out that fast.

Has anyone ever chopped down a sizable tree with an axe?  It is an incredibly intense job and will wear you out.  The amount of strokes should depend upon the condition of the axe.  A sharp axe requires less work than a dull one.  The rate at which an axe gets ruined is pretty ridiculous but I think it's intended to prevent someone from chopping down every tree they see.  So to prevent this, they should increase the required strokes 10 fold because if you really needed to chop down a tree for firewood, you are going to do it, but if you are trolling, you'd get tired real quick.