Kellrush (DayZ)

having 2 primaries on back instead of primarie and a melee

Carry a gun, axe and some canned food ? Same deal, since I already explained that axe is heavier that some in game full size guns, and 4 cans of food can be anything between 1kg and 2kg which means weight difference will be rather small unless you decide to hoard ammo. 

It's not just the weight but encumbrance.

For example, why running with backpack with 4 cans of beans inside it would suck even if they don't weight much? Because backpack swing left and right as you run.

Same with having just 2 cans of beans in right and left pocket of your cargo pants, it don't weight much but running with it will be a  nightmare.

This is encumbrance (if I picket the word right, English is not my main) .

PS.

Now run with 2 rifles hanging from your shoulders, a backpack that has full ammo box in it and some bean cans. Sure it don't weight much alright but sprinting with it? Even thinking about it makes me sick.

Edited by Frosti

Now run with 2 rifles hanging from your shoulders, a backpack that has full ammo box in it and some bean cans. Sure it don't weight much alright but sprinting with it? Even thinking about it makes me sick.

If I were to choose between running with two guns on my back or a gun and a sharp pointy axe I'd choose two guns every time. Full sprint with a axe hanging from my back with a blade next to my ass ? No thank you. 

If I were to choose between running with two guns on my back or a gun and a sharp pointy axe I'd choose two guns every time. Full sprint with a axe hanging from my back with a blade next to my ass ? No thank you. 

Having axe on back like that also needs to have  a penalties.

PS.

Also magnetic ass/axe needs to go. You should need to combine rope with axe to be able to put in on your shoulder.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/202248-magnetic-back/

Edited by Frosti

Weighing in on this realism thing...

If you've ever thrown a rucksack on and humped 70 lbs or even 40 for over three miles you will know a few things...

1) Keeping the weight high, centered and compact is important.

So extra shit like even the fireax or another weapon isn't likely to be comfortable, and you'd be almost guaranteed to chuck the thing after a few miles.

I'd personally cut the handle of the ax off and stash that sucker somewhere in the ruck. All I'd be using it for is survival anyway, not zombies.

Point being, carrying a weapon on the back and one in the hands isn't fun or viable, unless you can follow the rules I mentioned. 

So I think the current method is rooted in realism.

• Like 1

I think that instead of having a melee slot and a gun slot on your back simply have 2 (or more) slots that can be used as we wish. whether that be 2 guns, 2 melee weapons, or 1 and 1. Also maybe add a 3rd slot for non-weapon items, such as ashwood stick or fishing pole (possibly include bow in this category as well). Guns are useful, but I still like to have a fire axe to stay silent and also to cut trees down.

I agree 100%, the players should be able to determine what goes in the slots, I like the idea of 2

weapons on back or 1 weapon and 2 melee/tool items.

I vote get rid of the weapon slots. Primary weapons can only be carried in hands or with a sling/rope. Fireaxe/machete can be strapped to backpack. Add an animation to pull items out of your backpack or vest. No more running and rummaging.

Gun holster value increased. Firearm utility increased. KoS increased but with shards coming, who cares. No more magic items sticking to your back.

Call it authentic.

• Like 1

Carrying two weapons is a PITA right now but it can be done. I wouldn't mind dealing with it if my secondary gun didn't disappear if I was near a structure or object. If you don't switch on an open flat surface, it's a crapshoot if you still have the weapon.

It sucks in that if you have two primary weapons and want to quietly deal with a zed via melee weapon, you risk losing one. If I never lost one and the dropping was consistent, I could deal with the cumbersome manner they are now. It should be a little bit of a burden if you are weighed down with multiple weapons.

Remove the magic item slots, add gun slings as weapon attachment and I am fine with people carrying two or even three long arms on their back as long as it comes with downsides like lower speed, more noise and fatigue (and needing a number of non-ruined slings of course).

As said above this would require a better drop/pick up system to work otherwise having to drop your weapon could turn into a greater frustration event because it could get lost or simply because you are struggling with picking it up again.

However, with the current model and magic slots - no way!

Edited by Evil Minion