Time Glitch

The ONLY Realistic Way to Prevent Deathmatching: Make DayZ a Living Hell

DeathmatchZ is what it's all about now. That's precisely my thoughts.

There have been some good suggestions here in this part of the forum, but noone has the holy grail of ideas to prevent players killing each other for a can of beans.

The game should not be like this.

Maybe it is not a game for me, I don't know. Last time there were 2 players wandering the coast, looking for unarmed players. One had a gun and the other had a hatchet. The one with the hatchet decided to kill me after I had hidden myself. But the only thing I could have done was alt+f4. I let him kill me. I knew I would spawn elsewhere.

The game should not be like this.

Edited by subvision

Yes, I think the major thing that needs to be removed is the high end guns spawned in deer stands. When I spawn, it could take me 10 minutes to get a military grade assault rifle. That is so silly. Deer stands usually prove no danger as well, seeing as they are isolated and there are so many of them. I agree with OP. If I want an assault rifle or a military sniper, I should have to go up north. And tbh, I actually prefer using the civilian guns!

Also, after finding myself a brand new Ural and hiding it somewhere, I realised there is so much less fear now. If I die, I just have to return to my truck with all my supplies in. In my opinion, trucks/tents SHOULD definitely have a limit on the amount of items they can hold (maybe this is the case already, if so lower the limit). This means you could only store the essentials. Maybe a gun or 2, some basic supplies, and some fuel. At the moment I have about 100 items in the truck, most of it spawned in there. I was so happy to find 10 grenades :D

Edited by JamesTheBrit

There have been some good suggestions here in this part of the forum, but noone has the holy grail of ideas to prevent players killing each other for a can of beans.

The problem is not that there aren't holy grail ideas, the problem is that the DayZ Dev team can't try every idea ever. Not only that, they're walking on eggshells so they don't piss off one of the two sides people are on. They don't want to explicitly nerf banditry, but at the same time, they don't want to explicitly buff non-bandits. I think they're currently feeling around for a more natural solution (if they feel they even need to find a solution) and are trying things out. I don't think they want another bandit skin which was a direct detraction.

Edited by RJLupin2
  • Like 1

BTW The video about the Bus and Gladiator arena is Awesome, even if it's PVP it's not just Kill on sight for no reason. Theese guys are actually communicating with their "victims", they take their weapons "peacefully" and don't kill them directly.

I would LOVE to experience this kind of play myself, either as a victim or one of the bus guys, it's just ... fun and different from the usual *pew pew pew*

At the moment I have about 100 items in the truck, most of it spawned in there. I was so happy to find 10 grenades :D

Protip: Those didn't spawn there.

:D

[...]The game should not be like this.[...]

I personally find the game ok the way it is. A little more (reward for) CoOp would be fine, but hey.

Partially true, but on morphine you'd be able to still run, even with the splint on, but when the effect wears off you would have to walk, I could see that being feasible? most people keep a stock of morphine, or that could be just me.

It could be possible, but depends on how long the morphine effect last and the "overdose" should be removed.

Personally I'd like to see faster heal options that are harder to find. Kinda like the morphine right now, if you have one, you know that breaking a leg is not a problem because you'll be able to heal yourself and keep going without worrying about the effect going off or getting an overdose even after using 5 morphines in a row.

Probably adding a more rare item for self-healing (like First Aid med kit) and leaving current items for only cooperative use (only give X option, no use on yourself).

I'm making a list of things/changes I'd like to see in game while I'm playing, gonna post it when the list is big enough

Medkit box content :

4 Bandages

2 blood bag

4 morphine

4 pen-thingy ( cant remember the name )

2 heat pack

Use the secondary weapon slot and the content 4 clip slots

Use on teamates only

Available only on hospitals

Rare loot ratio ( 1% seems good to me, rare but not too much )

That's how i see the medkit...

Medkit box content :

4 Bandages

2 blood bag

4 morphine

4 pen-thingy ( cant remember the name )

2 heat pack

Use the secondary weapon slot and the content 4 clip slots

Use on teamates only

Available only on hospitals

Rare loot ratio ( 1% seems good to me, rare but not too much )

That's how i see the medkit...

a medkit without antibiotics and alcohol?

Edited by Frozen

I personaly like it but youre talking about a full remake of game mechanics, so i think that wont pass(maybe if there will be Hardcore mode for that)

It could be possible, but depends on how long the morphine effect last and the "overdose" should be removed.

Personally I'd like to see faster heal options that are harder to find. Kinda like the morphine right now, if you have one, you know that breaking a leg is not a problem because you'll be able to heal yourself and keep going without worrying about the effect going off or getting an overdose even after using 5 morphines in a row.

Probably adding a more rare item for self-healing (like First Aid med kit) and leaving current items for only cooperative use (only give X option, no use on yourself).

I'm making a list of things/changes I'd like to see in game while I'm playing, gonna post it when the list is big enough

Almost exactly what I was also thinking, there are limited ways to heal currently, but the issue being is the realism factor rocket is shooting for, nothing in a first aid kit will actually heal anyone, it's made to stop simple wounds from getting worse and to disinfect. Which is great but the uses would be minimal.

"There have been some good suggestions here in this part of the forum, but noone has the holy grail of ideas to prevent players killing each other for a can of beans."

The problem is that the deathmatchers AREN'T killing each other for a can of beans.

Like I said in my post way back, there is no problem with players killing players for ammo, or beans, or matches, etc. The problem is players who kill other players to watch the Murders: stat tick up one-by-one and see that "NOOB was killed" text scroll across the bottom-left.

These players are not bandits. Bandits kill because they need stuff, and they kill you to get it. These players kill dozens of other players and never even bother to loot the bodies. They put up YouTube videos of themselves sniping from the third-person. They are not bandits, and they are what is ruining the game.

Remove the debug monitor. Remove the kill text. Make ALL servers veteran difficulty. Remove military-grade weapons. That, in my opinion, will go a long way towards fixing the problem.

• Like 2

a medkit without antibiotics and alcohol?

I didnt see yet alcohol or antibiotics in game.

Perhaps they are in...

If they are, then decrease blood bags for alcohol and antibiotics.

Remove the debug monitor. Remove the kill text. Make ALL servers veteran difficulty. Remove military-grade weapons. That, in my opinion, will go a long way towards fixing the problem.

The debug monitor has it's right to exist. You are right with the kill text. Server difficulty influences the time you get hungry and thirsty among other things. That should be left as it is. The recruit servers are for beginners and it's ok as it is. With the removing of military-grade weapons there would also be a lot of fun removed, so I am not sure about this. In another thread someone suggested to remove sniper weapons, maybe this is it. Would help a lot of beginners not to get murdered while investigating cherno or elektro.

This all could work if:

1) zeds run in a straight line.

2) they don't run around you like mad man so you can actually aim at them when they aggro.

3) They don't run at subsonic speed

All zombies should only walk. Make their number like 4 times what it is now but don't let them run anymore. Maybe only some rare ones can run.

Edited by Dickhat
  • Like 1

The debug monitor is pointless. You don't need to track zombies killed, headshots, murders, or bandits killed. There is also no need to know how many zombies are on a server. Stats have no place in a zombie survival mil sim...there would be no real way for you to know these things in RL. You want stats, go play COD or BF.

As for blood and temp numbers, you can just place the numbers inside the existing icons for blood and temp.

There is no reason to have servers with varying levels of difficulty. NO server should have 3P or crosshairs enabled, and they should all have the same difficulty. There is no reason someone should be able to farm equipment on easy servers...everyone should get the same experience.

And I'm not for removing sniper weapons. It is pretty realistic to find a scoped hunting rifle in a civilian location. What is unrealistic is seeing tons of people running around with NVGs and M107s or AS50s. I would accept the occasional M16 found on a dead soldier or something, but they should be so rare finding one should be a life-altering experience...

Again, I am all for PvP and I am all for banditry. But they should exist for a reason...survival. Popping the heads of unarmed and newly spawned players using your AS50 just to watch your "murder" number tick up is not survival.

• Like 10

I think that DM is here to stay to a degree as no matter what groups will only need to be a certain size, after that you may want/need some slaves but you don't really want them in your group. IE if you want to build something large you don't want to provide for all the people needed to make it but you need help building it.

I think it can be lessened by making other characters more valuable than their gear to another player, and making death a bigger problem. Loot will always be replaceable so I think adding skills would be the best approach, losing skills you built up in game could be very painfull. Skills are controverisal but I think they could be implemented w/out stopping people from doing things, a get better as you go kind of thing with a cap at 100% for each. Rocket has already mentioned adding skills in interviews so I think they should be the main method of reducing shoot on sight.

Examples:

Chopper Pilot: You know how to opperate a helicopter. (100% When you get into the chopper its as it is now) (0% when you get in there is a timer before you are able to start it because you don't know how to work the controls and preflight) This wouldn't effect flying the chopper at all.

Gun handling: (This could be specific for each weapon in the game or types or whatever) As your skill grows you are faster at reloading, unpacking, readying, maybe less aim wobble. At a very low skill level you take longer than current time to do the above.

Bullets: At 0% you can't tell similiar amunition apart and see a generick rifle/handgun/shotgun bullet in your inventory. If someone unfamiliar with shotguns looked at a 10, 12, 18, 20, 28 guage shells they would probably struggle, even worse for handgun loads .38, .40, 9mm, .45, 10mm.

Mechanic: Reduces number of parts to fix car or time taken to complete animation for fixing car.

The crux is effecting people that die quickly before they have a chance to build any skills have to make them butt hurt over dieing too.

The answer is adding a pre spawn skill selection with point buy. But once you spawn you only get more points back in your point buy que by a timer, this could then be set to 24h or whatever to go back to full so if you die right away your next character will be worse off still and you won't be able to spawn a "normal" starting character till the next day. ((This could be a progressive decline also, or setup with a formula.)) Also you could be rewarded for your character staying alive in game, so each day alive in game you get more points for your next characters point buy que, this could help take the sting out of a month old character who is master of everything dieing, it would still suck but also reward you for your success.

Say the total max skill is 2k 20 skills at 100 each so your point by could be 200 normally but your "bank" or que is degraded by 50 or 100 or fully after you spawn in. So if you die in 5 minutes your next character has 150, 100 or zero or whatever.

If the penalities for having low skills in gun handling/ammo were harsh this would also help to deter the DM on the south coast as player characters would be starting with no skills after a few deaths and would be limited in their capacity for conflict.

Edited by xXI Mr Two IXx
  • Like 1

The debug monitor is pointless. You don't need to track zombies killed, headshots, murders, or bandits killed. There is also no need to know how many zombies are on a server. Stats have no place in a zombie survival mil sim...there would be no real way for you to know these things in RL. You want stats, go play COD or BF.

As for blood and temp numbers, you can just place the numbers inside the existing icons for blood and temp.

There is no reason to have servers with varying levels of difficulty. NO server should have 3P or crosshairs enabled, and they should all have the same difficulty. There is no reason someone should be able to farm equipment on easy servers...everyone should get the same experience.

And I'm not for removing sniper weapons. It is pretty realistic to find a scoped hunting rifle in a civilian location. What is unrealistic is seeing tons of people running around with NVGs and M107s or AS50s. I would accept the occasional M16 found on a dead soldier or something, but they should be so rare finding one should be a life-altering experience...

Again, I am all for PvP and I am all for banditry. But they should exist for a reason...survival. Popping the heads of unarmed and newly spawned players using your AS50 just to watch your "murder" number tick up is not survival.

You. I like you.

This is precisely what I want this game to be. Kudos.

You want stats, go play COD or BF.

Ho ho, I stopped reading there.

You might be right, but I can't fucking stand people not having the decency to actually make a reasonable comparison instead of just furiously masturbating and shouting "Haha! I insulted these games that everybody hates! Do I fit in yet?"

Yes. We get it. Most people who play these games are people that want a casual afternoon with some friends and simply do not have the same taste as people that like pure hell simulators like us.

Leave them the fuck alone.

Edited by Snort
  • Like 4

Yes. We get it. Most people who play these games are people that want a casual afternoon with some friends and simply do not have the same taste as people that like pure hell simulators like us.

I'm actually one who played quite a bit of BF3, but I love DayZ. Really, there's not a fair way to say what gamers will like and won't like without stereotyping based on the games they play.

The reason we shoot on sight is because we have nothing to gain from teaming up.

I think that the advantage of traveling and playing with a partner, and then say a trio,and imagine 4+ in a group, the length of your survival time would increase exponentially as the more people you gather into your peoples numbers.

This is not the reason that we shoot on sight at all.

It is because you can not trust someone you just met over the internet, and everybody knows that, and yes, even if you have skyped with them or been in vent with them.

I can only team up with people I can trust, so I have to avoid anyone else, and if it comes down to it, if I see no other alternative that provides my complete safety, if I have any inkling that they might be even entertaining the idea to maybe kill me, I have to kill them.

That is the more reasonable reason why shooting on sight is so prevalent.

Oh, and the other reason is because people are fucking dickheads and they know its just a game.

Edited by RunningScared

Relevant to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZgy28rmnQ&feature=plcp

These people had NO reason not to kill me.

They were all terrible and I had the drop on them all. I was friendly for the sake of it and was always lower on gear than them, and yet they killed me...well except for the guy with the axe, he had an excuse.

• Like 3

You forgot butt hurt, I think its one of the major factors with the KOS DM mentality. Players get pissed when they are murdered because they loose their gear and the time they have invested, and in turn want revenge against the community so they make it a point to shit all over as many people's fun as they can. This is a product of perma death always has been and always will be, just like people will always try to escape it by by alt-f4, disconect internet, etc.

People are both cowards and dickheads and I don't think thats going to change anytime soon.

Relevant to the thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZgy28rmnQ&feature=plcp

These people had NO reason not to kill me.

They were all terrible and I had the drop on them all. I was friendly for the sake of it and was always lower on gear than them, and yet they killed me...well except for the guy with the axe, he had an excuse.

If you walked up to me like that saying you were a mutant, and in general acting very strange, I would most likely kill you as well.