djspartan117

Unhealthy amount of paranoia in SA

On a more personal note - I played competitive CS in leagues and at LAN tournaments for 7 years. Nothing in DayZ can shake my resolve or focus very much. I will get excited and my heart rate may escalate briefly, even had butterflies or sweaty palms in intense situations ... But it passes quickly as I've learned to redirect those feelings into intense mental focus thanks to experience under pressure.

Do not panic. Do not freeze up. Remind yourself where you are and engage your mind. Calculate your level of aggression. Consider consequences of actions not consequences of failure. Failure is not an option. To not act is the only failure.

Center yourself and channel your anxiety. Trust your instincts and do not hesitate to act.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

That sounds boring as shit. I don't play that way. I try to live as long as I can.

Honestly, once you get attached to your gear, you start playing realistically. Peeking around corners before running out, watching an area from a distance before entering, sticking to the woods instead of the roads, etc. Preference, I guess.

This. Probably one of the worst features in the mod was the inclusion of tents. More so there impact rather than the item itself. People just stuffed tons of gear in a tent near the coast and play with absolutely no fear or care. The game becomes incredibly dull, and the thrill slowly drains because dying no longer has any consequence... "just spawn collect gear then die ... rinse and repeat.." Yeah... no. I hope they have another solution because that just sounds terrible. You might as well add in a load-out screen to cut out the middle man if this is what DayZ becomes.

I hate it when I hear the usual DayZ "pro-tip" to just not care about your gear and never get attached.. GET ATTACHED. It makes DayZ feel great when you have an incentive to live. Every death will feel tragic and avoiding death feels amazing.

• Like 2

It isn't unhealthy by any means imo.

My hardcore character died tonight after helping two people and letting another live. 20 minutes latter while i was in some out of the way town north of berezino I was shot in the back two times while drinking from my canteen. Guy had the nerve to say sorry afterwards like it meant anything.

Point is people in Day Z are douche's 80% of the time, so you're supposed to be weary of everyone. Day Z is an excellent antisocial simulator

So, I see a guy at NWAF yesterday, he is at a side profile and has on a wolf mask about 10 meters away, I decide to blast him.  Problem is I have my axe in hand cause there are like three people on the server and I am expecting zeds not people.  Also, I am in a Hardcore server with the tool bar glitch, I am trying to grab a pistol but the action keeps canceling. Fuck shit oh fuck. Of course the guy turns around see me and proceeds to shoot me with his SKS, he just unloads on me, BUT I am not even bleeding.  I finally crouch and pull my pistol but he did hit me after all and ruined my vest with the pistols in it, they just go click.  Shit.  He pulls his axe and hits my back pack, I pull my Mosin and and kill his mask wearing ass, check the pulse, yep, no pulse, coup de grace anyway, fuck it.  All my shit is ruined, everything in the back pack, my shirt, my vest, even my helmet and my toon is, still, NOT EVEN bleeding, even from the fire axe hit.  WTF. I have a physical reaction and start to shake like crazy, my heart is pounding in my chest, I hadn't had that feeling since Iraq in November 2004.  Jeez, Then I am not thinking straight and run through the tents checking for stuff, dumb, dumb, dumb idea, getting greedy always gets me killed, I know better, then BLAMO, 10 shots to the back and I am dead.  What a dumb fuck I can be.  Usually after an engagement like that it is my policy to run like hell past the next terrain feature. Oh well, though, my only consolation is he shot me in the legs and ruined all that stuff too, no doubt.   

Edited by Barnabus

So, I see a guy at NWAF yesterday, he is at a side profile and has on a wolf mask about 10 meters away, I decide to blast him.  Problem is I have my axe in hand cause there are like three people on the server and I am expecting zeds not people.  Also, I am in a Hardcore server with the tool bar glitch, I am trying to grab a pistol but the action keeps canceling. Fuck shit oh fuck. Of course the guy turns around see me and proceeds to shoot me with his SKS, he just unloads on me, BUT I am not even bleeding.  I finally crouch and pull my pistol but he did hit me after all and ruined my vest with the pistols in it, they just go click.  Shit.  He pulls his axe and hits my back pack, I pull my Mosin and and kill his mask wearing ass, check the pulse, yep, no pulse, coup de grace anyway, fuck it.  All my shit is ruined, everything in the back pack, my shirt, my vest, even my helmet and my toon is, still, NOT EVEN bleeding, even from the fire axe hit.  WTF. I have a physical reaction and start to shake like crazy, my heart is pounding in my chest, I hadn't had that feeling since Iraq in November 2004.  Jeez, Then I am not thinking straight and run through the tents checking for stuff, dumb, dumb, dumb idea, getting greedy always gets me killed, I know better, then BLAMO, 10 shots to the back and I am dead.  What a dumb fuck I can be.  Usually after an engagement like that it is my policy to run like hell past the next terrain feature. Oh well, though, my only consolation is he shot me in the legs and ruined all that stuff too, no doubt.   

Check this out..

When I hear the "Ugghg!" in the first few seconds of the video, my heart stopped.. 

Also, take note that I don't assume the guy was alone, and I check the player list often.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

That sounds boring as shit. I don't play that way. I try to live as long as I can.

Honestly, once you get attached to your gear, you start playing realistically. Peeking around corners before running out, watching an area from a distance before entering, sticking to the woods instead of the roads, etc. Preference, I guess.

"Don't get attached to your gear" I personally hate that quote. That ruins the fun, not being attached. I  WANT to feel that I HAVE to stay alive, I don't WANT to die, I  want reason to stay alive. Thats why I DO get attached to my gear. If I die i get sad, and I hate it when people tell me not to get too attached, because I want to feel that I AM my in game character, and I fear for my life, and will do anything to stay alive.

So personally  I try to get attacheed as mush as possible, and I love the feeling of fear, and panic that comes when I see somebody, and no joke my hands litterally start shaking, and I hide worried that somethings gonna happen. That's why I love this game, the fear, not knowing what's gonna happen, the paranoia, knowing somebody could sneak up behind you and pop a cap in your ass.

Sorry for making it so long!  :)

• Like 1

I am super paranoid and I get very attached to my gear, I play alone and leave care packages. So if you find a pistol with ammo, a couple of open tins and a drink in one place and your on Euro servers it could be from me.

I try to stay stealthy, if I get shot at I go on the offensive and try to hunt them down (not successfully)

Today near the lumber mill 2 Z's were chasing a bambi, I took out the Z's, gave the lad some food and a tin of pop and he proceeded to try and duke it out, needless to say I shot him.

Don't think I'll be having a face to face with anyone soon, that may be anti-social but that's how I like playing.

If I die I don't mourn the loss of gear for to long but I look forward to hearing up again.

I seem to get VERY scared, so scared that after I have an encounter with someone, I will shoot them (mostly because I can't trust people after a few encounters I've had ever since I got DayZ), and then I won't calm down for the next 7 minutes, and I have a constant thump in my chest. I know there are other topics on this, but they don't seem to have the same paranoia. I will get scared even if I have a sporter, with 10 rounds and no mag. Personally, I know my paranoia is just mostly over other players, because 95% of people with a gun will backstab you now.Or have there friend that you didn't see shoot you in the head. I don't know if anyone else feels like this, but I hope DayZ adds tents, vehicles and fortifying places soon because not having a sense of safety and security for just a few minutes is really getting to me.

For me the moment I have found all of that "end gear" I was seeking.. I suddenly, and I mean like a light bulb, become paranoid and fear dying. Im not sure why I dont feel like this along the way, but its that moment when I finish looting that I instantly become afraid of dying and never before. Its a very odd side effect. The adrenaline rush though is just priceless and worth it in every way. 

Like yesterday I was in a full server and rather boldly looting the NWAF. I sort of wanted to be shot at and engaged.. I was running out in the open looting the hangers when I finally got shot at. Only problem was I had just found my PSO scope that completed my AKM and everything I was seeking to gain while at the NWAF. So I went from calm, cool and collected.. wanting to be engaged to instantly fearing for my life doing the "zig-zag for your life to cover dance". It was awesome! I flanked, hunted them down and in the end never saw a soul. The pop dropped drastically, and I really think what it was is this.. most of the players must have been at the NWAF. Probably watching me, and waiting.. then 1 of them opened up scaring the hell out of the rest of them and when I did my hard flank around the entire base most of them logged out. Because honestly it dropped like 15 players in 5 mins and the sun was bright as hell.. around 15:45 server time. LOL... this game is a fucking blast.

Half the fun though is gearing up, after that....  Gets kind of boring.

playing dayZ alone is a sad affair....get friends.. :D

I don't have any, Billy no mates!

What you described is why I love this game.  I can hear my heart beating almost through my headset it seems like when the situation is really tense.  I don't know another game that has ever done that to me.   

So much for my paranoia. Shot in the back by a coward!

playing dayZ alone is a sad affair....get friends.. :D

I gave my AKM a name ...  :D

• Like 2