Sign in to follow this  
iongaming33@aim.com

Armed Helicopters Are NOT Overpowered

Yes

There are two problems with this discussion

People say "endgame" and people say "rare" as though those are both real things and everyone knows what they are

OK - what is "endgame" ...

DayZ has no end game. When people realise this they'll stop wanting to rush around the map as quickly as possible. It's a game about survival and the best players are the ones that live the longest. The end game is living another day - isn't that what you're trying to do in a zombie apocalypse?

• Like 1

DayZ has no end game. When people realise this they'll stop wanting to rush around the map as quickly as possible. It's a game about survival and the best players are the ones that live the longest. The end game is living another day - isn't that what you're trying to do in a zombie apocalypse?

Really?  I thought endgame was a 40 man zombie boss raid that you had to have the best pristine gear for otherwise you get kicked.

Oh and you need to have an Apache or you're a scrub.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 2

People who say no to helis are like aliens to me. Probably from a different universe or something. It is impossible for a human being like me to comprehend how their mind work. How can you not want a helicopter? Even if it is against you, that is a lot of fun and potentially an excellent accomplishment of taking one down.

People who say no to helis are like aliens to me. Probably from a different universe or something. It is impossible for a human being like me to comprehend how their mind work. How can you not want a helicopter? Even if it is against you, that is a lot of fun and potentially an excellent accomplishment of taking one down.

Maybe it's because there is a good portion of players that don't want to play a military sim?  Ever think of that?

• Like 2

Fine, you go first.

Ok, so what you want me to say?

That armed or not helis will ruin the gameplay? Make this another arcadey shooter with battlefield series or arma series?

That point of view doesnt have base what so ever.

Everyone arguing from that point of view (against) has assumption that when implemented it is done without balancing that makes the heli some unmatched deathmachine. TRUE if its done so then its a problem, but why would you make it a problem before its even in?

I cant blame you guys against armed helis, when its been joke in many games like battlefield and arma, but you should not confuse those to this game.

Then there is party that just dont want because it feel unneccesary in a way or another?

They bring helis and make them hard to maintain, repair, fly and all that. 

Again same argument can be made about allmost every item they bring in after the very basics, one type of food, clothing items... everything after that is just extra and variety to keep people entertained. Thats basically what this heli thing is all about variety in transportation and armament. Every feature in same category (vehicles) have their pros and cons, helis will be just another line in that list. If someone feels they are unnecessary then its fine, but that doesnt mean that they should exclude them from the game entirely when other people might find use for them.

Then there is people that want these implemented, me included. They might have their own assumptions of one godly deathmachine, and get disapointed or not.

I belong to this group in a way that I try to think this more "realistically" through balancing aspects and features that may affect the outcome.

I dont say my point of view is right but I feelt its the most neutral. That is when I think they should bring the helis, but in a way that its balanced through combination gameplay aspects.

It's ONLY about the way it is implemented. It is not necessary to expect anything yet, we are in alpha and then in beta where the most balancing happens. When in beta its time to start bitching about issue that ARE in game, not before.

There is SO MANY things that could affect the out come how helis are player, armed or not that this conversation isnt really timely right now.

If its done "wrong" from my perspective its not implemented at all or its implemented the way it becomes that godly deathmachine that the people against it are afraid. Im fairly confident on devs idea on this game that I dont see that arcadey aspect happening.

Points I think on this topic..

Spare parts

Complexicity of the maintenance

Wear and tear

Fuel types for various helis like huey and robinson.

Armament ammunition

Skill needed to fly

etc etc

Even with those there is HUGE amounts parameters to tweak and make them to work in this game. They could bring whole ARMA vehicle category and still keep the game in the right track what ever you want to call it "zombie survival sim".

Maybe it's because there is a good portion of players that don't want to play a military sim?  Ever think of that?

Heh, Ever thing of that adding X doesnt automatically transform game from Y to Z?

On that note, has this game transformed to some fashion catwalk sim where we can try various outfits when they add new pants?

Edited by Zeppa

Little known fact, helicopters exist outside of the military.  We don't need a Huey or some other gunship for a helicopter, why not a Bell 206 or Robinson R44?  Those are common civilian helicopters.  And those complaining about how the helicopter can find camps and people so easily, why do you think police use it for chases?  Hello, it's because that is the benefit of the helicopter!  Hide your tents better, it's not that difficult.  If you want such a hardcore survival experience in DayZ, turn off your computer and go out in the wilderness.  This is a game....

Oh. So helicopters can't exist outside a military sim?

I had no idea. Thanks for the enlightenment.

• Like 1

Oh. So helicopters can't exist outside a military sim?

I had no idea. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Read title of the thread.  "ARMED"  not "UNARMED"  Most people do not care if there is a news chopper.  This thread is about attack choppers.

Edited by Caboose187

Read title of the thread.  "ARMED"  not "UNARMED"  Most people do not care if there is a news chopper.  This thread is about attack choppers.

Attack choppers? We're talking about transport helicopters with MMG's mounted to the side. Whole different animal to an "attack chopper". No guided missiles, rockets, or cannons here.

• Like 1

All helis were in the mod and what they will be in the standalone is a easily followed trail to your camp for me to pillage. The same goes for any vehicle...

Edited by cels

Yeah, you are free to play in any style you want, that is the beauty of DayZ. You want everyone to play like you.

My hope is that all vehicles will eventually be highly customisable - so if they include big fuck-off military machine guns, you could mount them on to a make-shift gun turret you've built in the back of your Lada, or whatever. If they include aircraft, then the same rules should apply: if you have the materials and the tools to fix a gun to it, fine. But we can definitely do without any sort of useable military vehicles.

Oh, and if the average-joe survivor comes across a working helicopter and they try to steal it, this should happen:

• Like 1

That was quite long "flight", avarage joe will tip it over when the skits leave the ground. That guy had vague idea how its controlled.

That was quite long "flight", avarage joe will tip it over when the skits leave the ground. That guy had vague idea how its controlled.

Yup the guy in the video had a few flying lessons.

A regular person would have no idea how to start it up.

If they did they would wreck within seconds.

This is why it's so silly and unrealistic to have choppers in standalone.

They shouldn't have cars either because some people don't know how to drive, very unrealistic and silly, check out this guy who never drove before trying to drive.

Hope they don't add any vehicles because not everyone knows how to operate them.

Hope they don't add tents either, some people don't know how to put up a tent so very unrealistic and silly.

I hope they remove guns as well because some people don't know how to handle them, so silly and unrealistic to have them in game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvz6cM_LeW4

Basically I think they should make DayZ a game about sitting on a couch playing Mario Bros because not everyone knows how to do everything and so it's unrealistic and silly if they include any content that represents something that some people might not know how to do IRL.

• Like 8

LMAO great vids, when you are that drunk anything is hard. now imagine trying to fly a helicopter with out knowing how.

I've never even been in a chopper and I know a few things about flying it. The start switches are overhead. The batteries, fuel system, engine ignition, and maybe something else need to be turned on in that order. There should be writing under the switches to indicate which is which and they're even right next to eachother, in the exact order you need to switch them. 

The stick between your legs is for controlling the main rotor, which tilts in the direction of the stick. There are paddles at your feet to control the rear rotor, the same as a plane, simple left/right. On your side is a lever to regulate the throttle.

If you think I've googled it, think again.

So, having no real connection to aviation, I still know all that is needed for basic control of a helicopter. I'd still crash, but it's just one of those thing you improve at throughout the game. Much like sucking at handling a gun at first and gradually improving, flying a heli should come with a lot of trial and error. Stepping into the pilot seat should be a death sentence for a non-experienced player, and there's no arma to practice either. I'd love it if the entire start sequence would be added, which'd leave noobs on the ground  :lol:

Basically I think they should make DayZ a game about sitting on a couch playing Mario Bros because not everyone knows how to do everything and so it's unrealistic and silly if they include any content that represents something that some people might not know how to do IRL.

Those vids were hilarious.

That being said none of those things are remotely comparable to the difficulty of flying a helo.

That being said none of those things are remotely comparable to the difficulty of flying a helo.

It'd be totally fine with me if they make flying them ridiculously difficult in game. Even better this way.

Bro I read the wiki article on flying a helo, I'm an expert at it.  It's not hard at all.

Do you even lift off?

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 2

i had a remote control plane once hand launched it hit the throttle it took off in a massive loop before smashing into the ground not far from where i was standing ...  but if a afghan mujahadeen fighter can jump in a mil hind and get it off the ground im sure i can too

Cool thread. Just like the one I made - which you would've found if you searched - it descended into the same arguments being put forward over and over and over in an infinite loop.

You can have your fat lady back, as long as the glass is fucking penetrable. God, the sky whale was so annoying to try and kill, even with a .50. Dat glass mang, dat glass. The only way to effectively hurt the sky whale was to shoot out the rotary system, and that wasn't easy, doable, but not easy. D:

'Sky Whale'? :D Never heard that before.

• Like 1

I think choppers in a zombie apocalypse have no place at all for the reasons of reality. Why not add in APC's then and tanks? They exists in real life too and attack choppers and fighter jets. If you (not you, a general "you" ;)) think they're ridiculous you made my point.