Sign in to follow this  
blunce

The Future of Hardcore vs. Regular?

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but at the moment, the only difference between Hardcore & Regular is the camera perspective, right?

I've been thinking about this to myself lately & wanted to address the community about it & hear some opinions.

Speaking in regard to the game's finished state, what will seperate Hardcore from Regular other than the camera perspective? I personally would like to see Hardcore give the true, dedicated, DayZ fans the experience that they really thrive for. Because I myself, only play Hardcore. My reason for doing so is obviously the "3PP: Off". To me, it's more immersive, requires more tactic, more planning, forces you to be more aware of your surroundings, & the obvious one: the realism that it offers. But what more will Hardcore have to offer in the future to make it legitimately "Hardcore"?

Ultimately, I would just like hardcore to be as difficult as possible in all aspects.

• Rarer loot (especially food & ammo)
  • Increased bullet damage
  • Extremely difficult zombies
  • Decreased stamina
  • Decreased health
  • More prone to disease
  • Lack of animals to hunt
  • etc.

I could make a list that would go on forever but again, my point really is that I want to be challenged. I want to be worried that I may not find food on certain days. I want to be paranoid when it starts raining. I want to struggle to build a fire when it's cold out. I want to act in desperation. I want to be punished for my mistakes & for being unprepared. I want to survive, not live. Because as of right now, I'm living pretty luxuriously given that there's quite an abundance of canned foods throughout Chernaraus, & water sources that pose no threat of contamination.

I very much understand that this is alpha, & we're smack dab in the middle of development. So again, I'm speaking in regard to the game's finished state. Every feature that I've listed will obviously be found in Regular, but in Hardcore, I would like to see the difficulty level skyrocket. All my life I've been a gamer, & any game that I've played, I've set to the highest difficulty setting possible. There should ultimately NEVER be that feeling of "end-game" accomplishment. Less than 1% of the survivors should be living like kings. Those who deserve it by overcoming such difficult tasks.

Regular mode should obviously pose challenges as well, but to the more casual player. Where loot spawns a little more frequently. You're more resiliant to damage. Maybe you don't need to eat as much, as frequently. Animals are a little bit easier to come across. Ammo isn't as scarce. Things like that.

This concept could essentially provide 4 modes:

• Regular: 3PP: On
  • Regular: 3PP: Off
  • Hardcore: 3PP: On
  • Hardcore: 3PP: Off

This would cater to those who like the 3PP: On, but can still have the benefits of playing a more challenging game. Let's make "Hardcore" really really hardcore.

Thoughts?

• Like 4

By providing 3pp on and 3pp off hardcore servers, you will be segmenting the community even further. That's bad.

cranking up the difficulty of hardcore servers will draw more players to them. That's the future I hope hardcore gets. A core community of real survivalists. Where the bandits have to learn to survive before they worry about killing one another.

• Like 5

Iv essentialy said the same thing, make 3pp a server setting, then make hardcore mode based on gameplay enhancements/changes that either party can enjoy. The only problem is it further splits players, is it a choice is good, or a further splintering the community situation?

its a tough situation, but I think the 4 options would probably be the best route. Everyone is catered for and can choose where they play. Id probs find a nice 3pp:on hardcore gamemode server to build a base and settle in :)

I will feel a bit restricted/left out when the gameplay changes do arrive but im forced to use 1st to enjoy them :(

i'm 100% with you on the hardcore thing but i don't get why 3pp was put into this game after all. i know most ppl like 3pp and everybody wants the game to fit his preferences but i don't think dayz is the place for something like that. yes there are 1000 topics on that, i know...

• Like 1

I agree accept with your babycore suggestion of having 4 hives. 2 is enough. One for babies who want cowadooty deathmatch, one for men who want survival of the most skillfull.

• Like 2

Third person should be reworked to not give such a advantage to people. Personally I feel as if Hardcore should be the only mode, because having third person is such a cheap way to play. Sure you can look at your own character but you can already do that if you hit Tab. The only reason I dont really play hardcore right now is because you are still able to glitch look through walls and it just seems even more disadvantageous to players outside of buildings.

• Like 1

By providing 3pp on and 3pp off hardcore servers, you will be segmenting the community even further.

The only problem is it further splits players, is it a choice is good, or a further splintering the community situation?

This is true, but considering that private hives will be in place, won't most players be bound to one server? Where all their persistent objects remain? & where server hopping will no longer be an issue? People would be doing themselves a disservice by excluding themselves.

I could be absolutely wrong, but this is how I percieve it.

Yea it seems hardcore will evolve into its own game mode that is simply not dayz without the 3pp crutch.

for this reason alone there needs to be a fix for 3pp so people cant see over walls this way those players who merely play hardcore due tot he perspective can jump in regular servers and be at ease.

I don't want Hardcore to be any different than the regular game. The regular game should be hardcore enough, its a survival game. I only play HC because no 3pp wussmode.

for this reason alone there needs to be a fix for 3pp so people cant see over walls this way those players who merely play hardcore due tot he perspective can jump in regular servers and be at ease.

I feel as though a Gears of War style 3PP camera would be more appropriate. It's more over-the-shoulder & not so much above the head.

More or less I'm more concerned about Hardcore's difficulty factor. Players obviously like using 3PP for a reason so hey, the more power to them. The idea is to make settings a little more diverse so players can have the best of both worlds the way they see fit, & we can seperate the difficulty factor from the camera settings.

I don't want Hardcore to be any different than the regular game. The regular game should be hardcore enough, its a survival game. I only play HC because no 3pp wussmode.

So you would favor a "Regular: 3PP: Off" server, as I've suggested :)

Along with the differences in views available, there is also a slight whiff of queef that comes from lamecore servers.

• Like 1

Sorry Blunce, this one I do not agree on.  As others have stated it will already segregate the community which is going to get segregated even more once mods hit.

RPPVE only server

High loot servers

PvP only servers

24/7 day only servers

Self bloodbag, weapons shop, 1000 cars only servers.

Private Servers

Clan only locked servers

The list goes on.  And that didn't even include your idea :p

Sorry Blunce, this one I do not agree on.  As others have stated it will already segregate the community which is going to get segregated even more once mods hit.

RPPVE only server

High loot servers

PvP only servers

24/7 day only servers

Self bloodbag, weapons shop, 1000 cars only servers.

Private Servers

Clan only locked servers

The list goes on.  And that didn't even include your idea :P

That is going to happen regardless due the server options.

Just like the mod people will have to find a private server that best meets their needs and then play that.

Each server having its own ecosystem and community this is where dayz shines.

The hive public servers offer a subpar crap experience.

This has been the best look at hardcore vs regular that I've read yet. Maybe somebody might not agree with everything said, or maybe they do, but I thank you for stating your opinions in a manner that isn't disrespectful to other groups of players who don't share your views. I thank you for your lack of a god complex in this thread. 

I do like the suggestion though. 

• Like 3

I agree with everything except I would prefer public hives stick with only Regular:3PV On and Hardcore 3PV: Off.

It seems a lot of people here wish Regular never existed in the first place, but personally I think it's a good thing. I'd much rather have a split community then a mixed one. It allows casual and hardcore players to influence development without getting in each others way. The last thing I want is the enormous regular player base influencing the development of the hardcore servers. If that were to happen then DayZ would surely get messed up for the hardcore players (Tagging friendlies, spawn near friends, more loot, humanity system, Epoch style building, easier hunting, faster cooking, etc.) because the regular players clearly outnumber us. Or at least that's how it feels when comparing the number of regular and hardcore servers.

The split community is a double edged sword but I think its best if it stays.

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 1

When can I start pushing the shopping cart with a magnum with only 2 rounds?

As for the "splitting the community" fear I think it is unfounded. Once private servers are implemented it will split, and that's not a bad thing since it will group like minded people together. What is bad is not limiting the number of servers that can be rented because that dilutes the player community, but that is a different thread.

I like OP ideas, but I think the bullet damage will be OK once it is released. With that said it shouldn't take 3 to 4 5.56 rounds to the chest to take someone down, so hopefully that will all be balanced out during Beta.

One thing I've thought about is giving server owners the ability to tweak all of those settings to make it a programming nightmare.

Separating game for so many modes is not a good idea.

So you would favor a "Regular: 3PP: Off" server, as I've suggested :)

Yeah but there is no reason to keep splitting the community

It was a few months ago but one of the devs did speak of bring more hardcore elements to the "hardcore" hive. Of course that was a few months ago, being in this stage of development you cant even really be sure anything on server preference will be like it is now.

Hives could be completely different by the time beta is out.. Kinda like how they been testing spawn points. They are going to go with whatever works best, we could end up back with one hive.. For everything else, you have private hives. Which really, private hives will be what outlasts it all, official hives wont last forever, that has already been confirmed.

Going back to one hive isnt really issue as well if that ends up being the case.. Ive had more time playing and enjoying the mod on a private hive thats actively admined responsibly. As long as the Dayz dev team works out all the kinks to provide quality options for private hive owners, it really doesnt matter what happens to hardcore and regular servers. Just give me a more user friendly server browser so I can see what kind of elements are in place on private hives.

Edited by cels

Yeah but there is no reason to keep splitting the community

The community is already going to split once private hives are in, like a few others have already said. The intent isn't to purposely split the community, the intent is to give everyone something that they enjoy, & have the best experience possible. Regardless, splitting a community of 2,000,000+ into four gamemodes really isn't of concern to me.

Bad idead.. I like the 3rd person... Hardcore is bad for this and i preffer the dificult in the game...